Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Trigger warning: Many allegations have come out over David Cage and Quantic Dreams (Polygon link: https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/14/16890536/quantic-dream-workplace-harassment-allegations). He's a known creep from his work with Ellen Page in his previous game Beyond: Two Souls (free for the month of May on PS+ for PS4, is similar in style to Detroit if you want to delve into Cage without spending money first and already did the demo for Detroit). He's also a notorious hack, so expect various sensitive and controversial subjects including domestic abuse, sex and slavery to be poorly handled, albeit it's apparently less bad than it was in past games (thanks, having an actual writing team this time!).

Still interested? OK!

Detroit: Become Human is a PS4-exclusive game which tells the 100% original story of "what if racism, but it's robots?" You will control three different androids who go rogue. Much like previous Quantic Dream games Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, particular emphasis is placed on the possibility for the narrative to take on different directions. This game goes much deeper on that notion than prior titles did, though, you won't see most of the game on a single playthrough.

Gameplay consists of walking around, interacting with objects, QTE's, and branching decisions you generally have to make quickly (on a short timer).

Release date: May 25th, 2018

E3 2016 trailer, also the content of the current free demo you can download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1pbWCJcKQ

Here's the PGW 2017 trailer, features domestic abuse being escaped choose-your-own-adventure style, to give you an idea on the quality of narrative you can expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtPmIBqRwQU

Link to the US store, both for the demo and to buy the full game. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA08344_00-DETROIT000000001

There is also a Deluxe edition for $10US more which also gives you Heavy Rain on PS4. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA08344_00-DETROITDDE000001

https://twitter.com/KimoForce/statu...D140%23lastpost

The game currently holds an 80 on Metacritic. Some believe at least some of the positive reviews are due to the reviewer being poorly read, while some of the negative reviews are from people who know ham when they see it. That said, here are a few truths about the game:

- It is exceptionally pretty
- Acting is solid given what's being worked with,
- Storyline is hammy but many of the screenshots online are out-of-context and not really as absurd as they seem.
- The branching is real, even a strong playthrough is unlikely to see more than 50% of the game's chapters, so expect multiple playthroughs if you want to cover the whole game. Replays allow jumping to specific chapters and checkpoints within them.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

part of the reason for the metacritic being decent is that a lot of the sites bashing the game are the sites that dont use review scores anymore, like kotaku

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

part of the reason for the metacritic being decent is that a lot of the sites bashing the game are the sites that dont use review scores anymore, like kotaku

This is a point I hadn't considered. Was there a movement specifically to sabotage Metacritic's usefulness that I'm not aware of?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I am going to humansplain my toaster what he needs to think about David Cage and his "art".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As someone who lives in Detroit, i am legally obligated to purchase this game

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This is a bad game

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

quote:

It's all in service of a script that, at best, bares itself emotionally but shines a harsh, unflattering light on all of Cage's deficiencies as a storyteller, and at worst paints him as oblivious to the social, sexual, and racial implications of his work. One of his main problems—his imagination of female peril from a voyeuristically psychosexual perspective—is an old one that he seems incapable of addressing in any meaningful way. In Detroit's case, there are no less than five examples of a female android being beaten or worse by her owner, forcing her to murder him in self-defense. This is, admittedly, an improvement from Cage's past games, where that violence goes altogether unanswered, but after all these years going to the same narrative well, “problematic plot device” starts to read a whole lot like “fetish.”

Despite having in Williams a talented biracial actor as a mouthpiece for the game's milquetoast civil rights cheerleading, Cage can't bear to speak of oppression in anything but platitudes—slogans that his characters can chant at the push of the X button. There's a fully human black NPC who helps Kara, and when asked why she would risk her life to help deviant androids, she tells Kara that “my people wouldn't have been free without help,” instead of relating anything specific about the systemic prejudice that there's no way in hell the advent of artificial intelligence would have erased. It's allegorical vaguebooking. The game believes it's a sci-fi version of Eyes on the Prize, when really it's closer to a sci-fi Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial.

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it here: David Cage is the Ayn Rand of video games. Don't buy his game. Watch someone stream it if you have to, but don't give this idiot your money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm here to talk Detroit

Danny Brown is my favorite rapper

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Wars wants their story writing back.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

sci-fi Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial

lmfaoooo

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

Star Wars wants their story writing back.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does Star Trek.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the immortal words of troy baker, David Cage has mistaken having his cock in his hand for having his finger on the pulse of gaming.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

in the immortal words of troy baker, David Cage has mistaken having his cock in his hand for having his finger on the pulse of gaming.

Have you seen gaming lately? Not sure he's mistaken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive seen gaming lately and, well, it's good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

True but then I could say the same about my cock in my hand.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there was a david cage bashing thread sometime ago? that was good

Until Dawn shits on everything Quantic has ever done

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

Oh for sure man

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

are you loving serious

troy baker already has chameleonic vocal chords and a jawline you could rest a tea set on, he shouldn't be allowed to be pithy as well

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

univbee posted:

True but then I could say the same about my cock in my hand.

:wrong:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I must ask. Did they put in some kinda main character sausage grinder in the game? I remember one ending of the demo where your guy can just get shot and die while completing the mission.

Also I would link this one guy's playthrough of chapters 6-20 but it's still missing the first 5 chapters.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am very excited to redbox this next weekend and play it in 2 days and return it. 4$ is the perfect price to pay to laugh at david cage

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Screw the haters, I am going to enjoy the hell out of this game

cheese is delicious

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/999691714695716864

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Endorph posted:

Heavy Rain has a 87 metacritic score. Game critics disproportionately prefer story-driven cinematic games when compared to general audiences' tastes. Detroit seems more divisive but did review well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sunning posted:

Heavy Rain has a 87 metacritic score. Game critics disproportionately prefer story-driven cinematic games when compared to general audiences' tastes. Detroit seems more divisive but did review well.

I don't think there's really a trend to be found here. You could cherry pick recent scores to also say that PUBG (86 meta, 4.5 user), For Honor (76 meta, 5.3 user) or Fortnite (78 critic, 4.5 user) demonstrate that critics greatly prefer always-online PvP multiplayer experiences when compared to general audiences' tastes and are harsher on Cage-esque narrative games like Until Dawn (79 critic, 8.3 user). I don't think there's much wisdom to be gleaned other than game critic aggregates tend to be way more favorable across the board.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think there's really a trend to be found here. You could cherry pick recent scores to also say that PUBG (86 meta, 4.5 user), For Honor (76 meta, 5.3 user) or Fortnite (78 critic, 4.5 user) demonstrate that critics greatly prefer always-online PvP multiplayer experiences when compared to general audiences' tastes and are harsher on Cage-esque narrative games like Until Dawn (79 critic, 8.3 user). I don't think there's much wisdom to be gleaned other than game critic aggregates tend to be way more favorable across the board.

I think for PvP it's that critics play a handful of games while the low scores come from obsessives who've somehow been wronged after playing for 2500 hours.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

gschmidl posted:

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it here: David Cage is the Ayn Rand of video games. Don't buy his game. Watch someone stream it if you have to, but don't give this idiot your money.

I plan to watch the two best friends playthrough of it, so this right here is good advice.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Monaghan posted:

I plan to watch the two best friends playthrough of it

:same:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 24, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I plan to watch the two best friends playthrough of it, so this right here is good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZnIUqxH70&t=742s

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 24, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I dont think pointing out the user scores for PUBG and Fortnite are indicative of anything except for nerd rage. They are two of most popular video games in history and I sincerely doubt even a fraction of a majority of those user reviews are made in ernest.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Guys I think we have a problem.

How are we going to be able to piss in every bathroom if all the characters are robots???

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What if they piss oil.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Guys I think we have a problem.

How are we going to be able to piss in every bathroom if all the characters are robots???

Does not having sweat glands mean that Kara won't need to take a shower at some point?

(It doesn't, obviously)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Well, if you don't wanna wait for SBFP, the chapters have been uploaded (in walkthrough format for some reason) by someone. Unfortunately, said someone also has God of War vids/spoilers so be careful.

Chapter 1-5, Chapter 6-10, Chapter 11-15, and then Chapter 16-20.

It's odd that if there really is just 20 chapters, you can get this done in 5-7 hours.

widespread fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 24, 2018

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

widespread posted:

It's odd that if there really is just 20 chapters, you can get this done in 5-7 hours.

Well, they're making a pretty big deal out of the branching storyline flowchart, so this doesn't really seem that out of line.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

widespread posted:

Well, if you don't wanna wait for SBFP, the chapters have been uploaded by someone. Unfortunately, said someone also has God of War vids/spoilers so be careful.

Chapter 1-5, Chapter 6-10, Chapter 11-15, and then Chapter 16-20.

Several reviews speak of a ~10 hour playtime.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Several reviews speak of a ~10 hour playtime.

Something something "we tried to engage with the story's world" etc. I dunno. I don't speak reviewer/critic jargon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To be fair to Cage and video games in general, some non-trivial number of gamers are stupid as rocks intellectually or emotionally and need things explained in the most explicit ways possible.

Also how many scenes with a woman peeing appear in this game, this is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm here to talk Detroit

Danny Brown is my favorite rapper

Esham

• Locked thread