Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Ice floe. They either starve, freeze, get sun baked or drown. Possibly all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Honestly, if I didn't like my brothers I'd probably throw my life away in a grand, glorious John Brown-esque crusade since I don't really care too much about my own life, and the rest of my family are CHUDs so gently caress them.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

zeal posted:

john brown's plan wasn't to die in a hail of gunfire, though it was an eventuality he and his raiders accepted as pretty probably. the plan, starting at least two years before the actual harper's ferry raid, began with gathering a small, tightly knit band of veterans from the pro/anti-slavery violence in Kansas in the 1850s, of which Brown and his sons were the most famous anti-slavery veterans, and augmenting that core group with younger, idealistic abolitionists (several of them young black men, either born free in the north or escaped slaves). the composite group met in slavery-neutral canada (though they changed hotels once when the first place they went wouldn't seat or serve the black and white guests together). they voted on who should be commander of the operation (i believe the selection of John Brown was unanimous) and sub-officer, then worked out in conference at this hotel where they'd strike, how they'd strike, and what the plan was for the aftermath. the immediate aim was to raid a succession of large plantations near Harper's Ferry, site of the most important federal armory on the east coast, to liberate and then arm the slaves on those plantations. the long-term aim was to escape into the appalachians with as many slaves as would come with them and as many weapons as they could carry off, to form a fortified commune of freed slaves and abolitionists in the mountains.

nobody would claim john brown was a widely read man, but he was extremely thoroughly read in the two subjects that interested him: irregular warfare and religion. in the years leading up to harper's ferry he'd studied intensely the accounts of Spanish partisans in the Pyrennes Mountains who held of far larger, better equipped and better disciplined forces from the French Empire during the Napoleonic Wars, the campaigns of Toussaint Louvertoure in the mountainous southern third of Haiti, the long-standing fortified compounds in the Andes and the Amazon founded by escaped slaves from Spanish and Brazilian plantation systems in South America. there were never any such long-term communities of escaped slaves in wilderness compounds in the united states, unless you count the Black Seminoles of Florida (a whole other story), but brown believed that with the help of radical abolitionists such places could be carved in the appalachians, to create both refuges for runaway slaves south of the mason-dixon and bases from which further raids could be launched to liberate more slaves.

all that went awry when the raiders failed to stop a train that passed through Harper's Ferry on the night of the operation from getting out of town. the train spread word of the raid, which summoned the Virginia militia to besiege the town. The militia fought like the lovely part-timers they were, failed miserably to take Harper's Ferry all day until a detachment of US Marines showed up from DC under the command of none other than Robert E. Lee, then a colonel if memory serves. The marines took the town back building by building, killing or wounding most of Brown's raiders in the process. Only two men made it out, escaping out the back of the armory building and swimming the river that surrounds Harper's Ferry to make it into the Appalachian foothills before escaping to Pennsylvania. one of those two men wrote down his account of the raid not long after; the other major source on its events is the after action report written by Lee. the two escapees' firefight in the woods with a party of Virginia militiamen actually lends credence to the whole long-term plan: despite being outnumbered, the two raiders drove off the Virginians and made good their escape using elevation and tree cover, in a miniature version of the further clashes Brown expected with the militia and eventually the federal military in the mountains.

the closest modern equivalent to what Brown tried to accomplish would be on the order of a band of radical ICE abolitionists breaking open a privately owned prison, arming all the prisoners willing to come with them, and leading those escapees to seize NORAD or a nuclear silo before threatening to turn WMDs on the continental US unless everyone gets let out of the ICE camps.

See, you imply that's not what I was thinking, like, anything effective would have to be on that level. Some serious Metal Gear Solid poo poo.

And just like John Brown and Liquid Snake, anyone who does it is gonna die.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

It basically just created little walled gardens of poo poo, where you get your propaganda piped directly to you. Can't learn poo poo when all your "news" comes from Facebook macros and Free Republic, or for da Libs, Facebook macros and Buzzfeed.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Arizona was never meant to be this food producing land of citrus, cotton, melons, lettuce, carrots, dairy, ranching and other imported bullshit. We'd be fine if motherfuckers just flat out put in mesquite, saguaro, prickly pear, cholla and like, Native maize, and whitey learned to fuckin' deal.

Also, gently caress the golf courses and goddamn weeping willows and poo poo. Mother fuckers this a goddamn desert.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Best part is that Phoenix is growing massively from all the internal economic refugees moving here, especially from California, because $10.50 at a service job in Phoenix goes further than $11 at a similar job in LA. Of course in two years when water rationing kicks in and agriculture goes to poo poo, and all the immigrants leave because gently caress dealing with whitey when there are no jobs, and like, 85% of the economy is service jobs for the people working in call centers and in agriculture, the whole state is hosed and those people are gonna lose their poo poo jobs. Like, the entire economy here is based on a combination of call centers, agriculture and tourism/retirement shitheaps, and the service industry that backs them up. Once the olds die, and agriculture fades it's gonna depress the state something fierce.

Basically, next like, 10 years here are gonna be hilarious. Though this is more doomsday economics than ICE.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Jun 13, 2018

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

I work in archaeology and love the local cultures, but gently caress if I am not thinking about leaving and just working in Pacific Northwest or Hawaiian archaeology or some poo poo. Same low wages, same difficult work, way better living conditions.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Also, wouldn't be the first time US Army stuff was still just Nazi stuff.

See: Scout Snipers, US Army Rangers

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Unless some group can take and hold territory (LOL) any escalation from peaceful protest is gonna result in some big fuckin' crackdowns by the pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the equivalent of ICE in other countries like?

The Australian and British ones are just about as bad, if not more so, with actual camps running for years now.