Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: Episode 04 - Tranquil Walk Of "Peace" (6/18)

Don't play that game, you know what Dark Souls is. But in case you haven't read an unrelated videogame review and seen it compared to this game yet, here's the legal letter anyway: Dark Souls is the spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls, From Software's critically acclaimed and infamously difficult Action RPG. Published by Namco Bandai, Dark Souls maintains the visual, audio and gameplay style of Demon's Souls with an entirely new story and setting. It was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on September 2011, and came to PC a year later.

Dark Souls tells the story of you(!), a lowly undead hollow, a husk who has lost his or her humanity and is left to rot in a prison cell until the end of days, forever undying. The Undead Curse prevents you or any hollow from permanently expiring, and so you sit in your lowly forgotten corner of the world- until one day you are freed by a mysterious knight who foretells a prophecy. If you break out of the Undead Asylum you've been left in and flee to Lordran, the land of ancient lords, you may discover your destiny and perhaps even find a way to break the curse. And so off you go, unknowing of the sheer challenge that awaits you around every single corner from then on.

The game received critical acclaim upon its release and is considered to be one of the best video games ever made, with critics praising the depth of its combat, intricate level design, and world lore. However, the game's difficulty received mixed reviews. While some praised the challenge it provides, others criticized it for being unnecessarily unforgiving. The PC version of the game was less well-received, with criticism directed at numerous technical issues. By April 2013, the game had sold over two million copies worldwide and it still sells hundreds of thousands a year. A remastered version with several substantial upgrades was released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch in 2018, and that's why we're all still here today.

In late 2017, rumors of a Dark Souls 1 remaster came to light as more than just speculation when the game's title was accidentally leaked in a couple random places in quick succession. Sure enough, only a few weeks into 2018 it was formally revealed, and since then numerous lists of changes have been released via PR and compiled around the web. It released three days early on PC, giving me time to record nearly the whole drat thing before even posting this thread. In this long, long adventure, we will be returning to Lordran one final time to play through all three Dark Souls games, starting with the brand new Dark Souls Remastered! There will be bonus features to talk about the story, silly extras you can laugh at, and a deep and complex look at one of my favorite video game series' of all time time.

Because Dark Souls is one of my favorite video game series' of all time, duh! But more than that, I want to make an LP that both long-time fans and first-time viewers can appreciate and enjoy. I want to make something that is worth watching whether you've seen zero Dark Souls LPs (somehow) or a thousand Dark Souls LPs (more likely). It's a long road ahead, and I very much look forward to seeking out the flame with you, together.

This is a tricky question to answer. Dark Souls, the original at least, is nearing ten years old. Most fans of the series know everything there is to know, and they just can't wait to talk about it at every opportunity. And who can blame them? My spoiler policy for this LP will be that you can talk about whatever you like, but do me a favor and don't jump the gun on the really cool stuff. Believe it or not, there will be people watching this who haven't played Dark Souls, and I'd hate to see anything excessively cool spoiled for them. Please use spoiler tags for anything we haven't seen or heard about yet.

I hate to have to do this but people just cannot seem to stop arguing about how much of an improvement the remaster is or is not over the original. I'll be comparing the two as we go along, making note of the big changes (there are a lot); but the long and short of it is that it is a definitive improvement and it is worth 20 bucks they're askin', no matter how much angry nerds on the internet will try to convince you otherwise. Give your opinion about it if you want, I'm not gonna squash civilized discussion, but this is your one warning: Please don't start an argument about it in this thread.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p2k55F-uag

♪♫ Only you can make all this world seem right
Only you can make the darkness bright
Only you and you alone can thrill me like you do
And fill my heart with love for only you ♫♪

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha all this insane preparation and I forgot to pick a banner. Let us immortalize this moment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You make good LPs and I'm eager to re-explore Dark Souls through you!

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Have you decided on a gimmicky build to set your LP apart?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You make good LPs and I'm eager to re-explore Dark Souls through you!

:yeah:

Erd posted:

Have you decided on a gimmicky build to set your LP apart?

Not really. My plan is to show off weapons and stuff that you don't often see in Dark Souls playthroughs, because Everything Is Viable. Other than that, what will set my LP apart is the sheer quality of it, I guarantee it!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Are you trying to induce some sort of cognitive stalemate in us?

Count Ignatiev
Sep 20, 2007

I for one look forward to the 60 fps fist hitting butt and flippy manta-toads.

Count Ignatiev fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 26, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

Are you trying to induce some sort of cognitive stalemate in us?

ohhh noooooo

edit: Really all my posts are shitposts, you people should know that by now

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
CJacobs has mentioned to please not spoil the cool stuff because there are some people who haven't seen any LPs of it. Let me be the first to mention that I know literally nothing about Dark Souls aside from some memes revolving around certain NPCs, and like maybe up to the first boss. Every LP I have attempted to watch has had people screaming into mics trying to have a gimmick or dying seven hundred times and screaming into mics about how bad the game is. I have never seen past the second area because every LP I've seen was terrible and/or boring.

While I personally will not get too mad if I get spoiled, I am assuming there are others who are like me and just haven't seen that far into the game, so please be understanding about the rules when it comes to the three people who have been living under a rock this past near decade.

In other news, I'm excited for another CJacobs LP; he does good work and I'm certain I'll at least get to the third zone with him at the helm!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Count Ignatiev posted:

I for one look forward to the 60 fps fist hitting butt and flippy manta-toads.

Oh there are some really really good ragdoll flips in this LP so far from what I've recorded. You will not be disappointed.

Charlett posted:

CJacobs has mentioned to please not spoil the cool stuff because there are some people who haven't seen any LPs of it. Let me be the first to mention that I know literally nothing about Dark Souls aside from some memes revolving around certain NPCs, and like maybe up to the first boss. Every LP I have attempted to watch has had people screaming into mics trying to have a gimmick or dying seven hundred times and screaming into mics about how bad the game is. I have never seen past the second area because every LP I've seen was terrible and/or boring.

While I personally will not get too mad if I get spoiled, I am assuming there are others who are like me and just haven't seen that far into the game, so please be understanding about the rules when it comes to the three people who have been living under a rock this past near decade.

In other news, I'm excited for another CJacobs LP; he does good work and I'm certain I'll at least get to the third zone with him at the helm!

Hell yeah!! I'm doing my best to make this an LP that can be watched with equal enjoyment if it's your first time or your hundredth time so hopefully I live up to that desire well enough.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh boy, I can't wait until you have to suffer through all the bullshit parts!

Are the bloom in [PLACE] and framerate drop in [OTHER PLACE] better in the remastering?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know why that crestfallen guy is so down on Blight Town, it seems like a cool place.

I look forward to seeing Blight Town run at something other than 15 FPS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Are the bloom in [PLACE] and framerate drop in [OTHER PLACE] better in the remastering?

YOU'RE drat RIGHT THEY BOTH ARE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm changing the spoiler policy to include "please use tags for stuff we haven't seen/heard about yet" because I've realized that more people may be watching this blind than I thought. Please be courteous!

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Charlett posted:

As someone else who struggled to find an LP I could watch, I can recommend Geop's LPs on the archive. The first one, at least, is blind with guides to give a poke in the right direction, so there's a realistic amount of fumbling and confusion, but generally speaking not a lot of screaming in mics.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Not really. My plan is to show off weapons and stuff that you don't often see in Dark Souls playthroughs, because Everything Is Viable. Other than that, what will set my LP apart is the sheer quality of it, I guarantee it!

Since this was once 'That Difficult Game' there are thousands of let's plays that run the gamut of quality but I'm enjoying your Bloodborne let's play where you show off every weapon in some way, so seems like a good plan for a good LP. I've only seen Geop's blind LP (and played the game myself) so if anything it'll be interesting to watch the game played by someone who seems to know it inside out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

While I love Geop's Dark Souls 1 LP, I don't know if his team ever finished 2, so I am also super eager to experience the rest of this trilogy through this LP. Dark Souls - despite being a game I can't play, as I still don't have a controller for my laptop - really fascinates me, from the lore, the atmosphere, the sheer spookiness of it.

e: Dark Souls has a lot of high fantasy trappings - the elaborate mythology, how you engage with the highest of lords - but it undercuts those trappings by being a very, very bleak game, very down-to-earth where you start as scum of the earth and while you do important things, even at the end you're just a dude with a weapon and a lot of skill at using said weapon.

Also I don't know where the horror elements fit in the low/high division in fantasy.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 26, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Geop took a break for a little while but he's back and his Dark Souls 2 LP is still goin' right here on this very forum! I second that you should watch Geop's LPs if you want a good blind Dark Souls experience (with all the secondhand frustration therein), and I will always recommend Chaos Argate's blind LPs of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne because they are really really good and also I appear in them

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will you be doing lore dumps at the end of future videos? I admit, I've finished the game but I'm sure there are bits that I might've missed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlett posted:

if you get impatient you can check out geops lp of it, it was pretty good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Will you be doing lore dumps at the end of future videos? I admit, I've finished the game but I'm sure there are bits that I might've missed.

Nah, if I do them they'll have their own separate videos. I'll have ample time to talk about the story within the episodes themselves but I can give that stuff its own time too if need be. It's the same reason I'm not going to read the description of every item, I don't really want to break up the pace that much.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

YOU'RE drat RIGHT THEY BOTH ARE

HELL YEAH BROTHER

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

No one ever seems to play as a magic user.

That said, I'm pretty sure you did a stream once using magic and chumped everything, which was fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's me, I'm the one who's never watched a Dark Souls LP. I prefer LPs of infamously hard games like this by someone who knows the game well and makes it entertaining.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finally get to see the remaster in action, and with a good commentator to go with it. Should be fun times!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

No one ever seems to play as a magic user.

That said, I'm pretty sure you did a stream once using magic and chumped everything, which was fun.
1 has the most boring magic. Hopefully we'll see some in the sequels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 2 has the best magic imo, hexes included. Maybe that's a spoiler for the LP, maybe it isn't! I guess you'll find out in like a decade when we eventually get there!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh boy, I have Opinions on Dark Souls 2. Can't wait.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Most of this game I know from a friend whos a huge fan of the series so this is gonna be fun to learn more about Dark Souls.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love how many times the game tells you to just hurry on without worrying about why.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Kind of a shame they didn't add more tufts of grass and other ground cover with the remaster. Green grass texture on a flat surface dates this type of game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hey CJacobs, are you considering LPing Demon Souls after you finish the Dark Souls games just to round off the set?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Oh boy, I have Opinions on Dark Souls 2. Can't wait.

I have opinions on 2 and 3, what fun this will be.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love how they laid out certain things, like you can almost see where the obvious traps are. "Hey guy look at that shiny thing in the middle of an area, it's totally not a trick I swear." :black101:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Haha all this insane preparation and I forgot to pick a banner. Let us immortalize this moment.

i wish you hadn't had it fixed...

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
"Cjacobs update Bloodborne" is the new "Crow update Prince of Persia" but I'm still on board with a dark souls remastered and then the rest LP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey man, I just implemented a new schedule and today is Dark Souls day! Bloodborne day is comin'! You should look at the blog post on my website to see my full new schedule.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so is linkin park no longer cringe now that one of the bandmembers committed suicide

serious question i dont know the answer lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Linkin Park was never cringe! How dare you insult me in my own home!

edit: I do really like the song that the thread title is named after though.

• Locked thread