Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
rock salt in there and it'd be fine? Maybe you need a couple bags if it's a big pool. Hell if you don't want to do that you could probably put in a couple goldfish instead. I think it's a conspiracy by the chlorination lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Chlorine reef.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
not sure wtf you think salt is but it's made out of chlorine

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Some people do just that. They’re called saltwater pools, you peasant, and they own.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
saltwater pool systems just break up the salt into chlorine that goes into the water, not literally salt in the pool

if you put actual salt in it's like set and forget and you don't have to worry about it evaporating out or anything

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i pee into my pool to sterilize it

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Are you planning to install a pool before fixing your roof?

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
have you seen the poo poo living in the ocean why do you think saltwater would do any good?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no I was just thinking about pools. If you had a pool and put fish in it you could redirect all your gutters into it too that would be neat. You could even have a little creek coming out.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i pee into my pool to sterilize it

pro move

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ArchNemesis posted:

have you seen the poo poo living in the ocean why do you think saltwater would do any good?

holy gently caress, you could put nemos in it if it was salt water

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
yeah but then you got little nemos pissing and making GBS threads in your pool and that brings with it a whole host of issues I'm sure

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh my god why hasn't anyone made their pool into an aquarium? You could put in an actual reef and it would be big enough for a couple cat sharks even

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
hire a pool lad

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i took a foot long poop today

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ArchNemesis posted:

yeah but then you got little nemos pissing and making GBS threads in your pool and that brings with it a whole host of issues I'm sure

I got this all planned out: you plant mangroves and sea grass in the shallow end. Bam. Perfect. All nutrients absorbed and integrated to a really cool tree.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
you think yoy=u're better than me rasputin with ya fukken pool ya a piece of poo poo loving the tsars wife ya fukken homewrecker i know who you are

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
so start an aquarium I guess? might as well profit off this

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Big Chlorine

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

lol but seriously I posted:

you think yoy=u're better than me rasputin with ya fukken pool ya a piece of poo poo loving the tsars wife ya fukken homewrecker i know who you are

:same:

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Same reason there is fluoride in tap water. Mind control.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
big problem is keeping the whole thing warm thru the winter. You'd need a powerfully good greenhouse and maybe even a heat pump.
man. I cannot see any downsides to this, except if there was an earthquake it would gently caress up and spill saltwater out and kill some regular plants.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My name is Bill Chlorine and you are literally taking food out of my family's mouths. Hope you can sleep at night knowing that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Will chlorine remove AIDS in the pool?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Or hell, who said anything about the pool being water?

Replace it with alcohol. Alcohol is sterile and if you need a buzz, just open your mouth in it :guinness:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My name is Bill Chlorine and you are literally taking food out of my family's mouths. Hope you can sleep at night knowing that.

look bud, you gotta get with the times. Change the family business. Diversify. Ever work with any of the other halides?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
"Natural" pools are a thing that exists. People design and build pools to recreate hydrological and ecological processes so the pool effectively cleans itself without chemicals. It's a whole thing.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

my dog died im sad posted:

Are you planning to install a pool before fixing your roof?

If he doesn't fix the roof he'll have an indoor pool eventually, win/win.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You're a mass murder enabling monster, Bill Chlorine

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

just lol if you dont swim in fresh water lakes with fish poop in it

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

oh my god why hasn't anyone made their pool into an aquarium? You could put in an actual reef and it would be big enough for a couple cat sharks even

People have converted their disused pools into ponds, it would probably be much more of a task to convert one into an aquarium capable of supporting a reef.

Here's a youtube vid by a guy talking about his own home reef aquarium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhs6D0MExzI

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
That reef reminds me of the submarine (20,000 Leagues?) ride at Disneyland.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SniperWoreConverse posted:

saltwater pool systems just break up the salt into chlorine that goes into the water, not literally salt in the pool

if you put actual salt in it's like set and forget and you don't have to worry about it evaporating out or anything

You DO just pour bags of salt into the pool. You then stir around around until it's dissolved.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Not to mention that the reef aquarium thing is covered with netting and screens to keep stuff from dropping into it from outside, and the pond conversions I've seen online are usually pretty murky, so you'd rarely be able to get a good glimpse of the fish in your poolquarium.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EorayMel posted:

Replace it with alcohol. Alcohol is sterile and if you need a buzz, just open your mouth in it :guinness:

This would blind you if it's high-proof. Hope you got swim-goggles.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I’ve got a pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you, OP. Natural spring.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

The best uses of pools are when they are emptied and skated in.

Pool care isn't that complicated, but don't waste your salt and however many gallons of water.

Is your pool disgusting?

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just drain it, cover with a tarp, and rent out to homeless people? And when it gets too gross all you have to do is fill and flush

nice way to support your local community and barter rent for scrap copper imo

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

how do I put out a pool fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my pool is salt pool but some magic poo poo turns salt into chlorine and then chlorine into salt but a goddamn tropical storm with a non American name comes along and dilutes my goddamn salt

• Locked thread