Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Welcome, neutrals and Viking enthusiasts, to the Iceland World Cup 2018 Thread!
This thread is brought to you by Iceland Foods Ltd. who were actually sued by the country of Iceland a few years back but I'm sure it's all fine now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mav2kkvakGY

The country:

Iceland is a small island in the north Atlantic inhabited by trolls, elves and about 340,000 people. Pretty much everyone lives in or near the capital, Reykjavik, because the rest of the country is covered in ice and volcanos (and trolls) so basically gently caress that. It's really pretty though and lots of people go there to enjoy the natural hot springs and see the northern lights and drink incredibly expensive beer. Iceland is by far the least populous country to ever qualify for the World Cup, but don't expect them to be pushovers...

The history:

Despite having had noted cool and good players like Eidur Gudjohnsen and Hermann Hreidarsson in recent memory, Iceland have done pretty much gently caress all in terms of tournaments until the last five years or so. They reached the playoffs for the 2014 World Cup before being knocked out by Croatia, then in 2016 went to their first ever international finals tournament at Euro 2016. They famously defeated England 2-1 in the round of 16, before getting heavily dicked on by France. Still, pretty good for a first attempt, even if England are poo poo (which they are.) This is considered something of a Golden Generation as a result. So who are these heroes of saga and legend, these Ice titans, these 23 footballers selected by their manager to represent their country in Russia?

The team:

Do you recognise these men? If so, you're either from Iceland or some kind of savant for mediocre European football teams. Five of the squad play in England (plus one at Cardiff) three at Rostov in Russia, the three goalkeepers all play for Danish clubs for some reason, three are based in Iceland and the rest are spread around Europe.

Notable players include Gylfi Sigurdsson of Everton/Swansea/Spurs fame who will be responsible for most of the creative spark, and Aron Gunnarsson the captain who plays for Cardiff and possesses both a large beard and a Delap-style long throw. His captaincy duties also extend leading the "Thunderclap."

The thunderclap:

As seen in the video at the top, Iceland brought the new crowd interaction hotness with them to Euro 2016 and it's sort of taken off. Move aside Poznans and Vuvuzelas! It's time for thousands of angry Vikings to clap and grunt in terrifying synchronicity. Apparently it was invented two years ago and is of no historical or cultural significance whatsoever. Awesome!

The prospects:

Iceland are in a group with Argentina, Croatia and Nigeria and honestly could come anywhere from fourth to second, or even first if Argentina poo poo the bed hilariously. Getting out of the groups would be considered a success for sure and anything beyond that would be a plucky underdog story the likes of which haven't been seen for, oh, two years? But most likely a cathartic victory over Croatia in payback for 2014 will take them to the second round where they'll be humped by France again.

I hope you all have a "cool" time posting in this nICE thread haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Iceland are cool, I was there for a layover last year and saw some nice big rocks and craters. Also Icelandic people don't have last names so that's fun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hate every team who have supporters that have started copying that clapping

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jose posted:

Same

Its every mls team btw

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
does anybody still do the poznan

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iceland were fun as hell in the Euros and I hope they do well this go-round. Not the best draw for them, they're prob gonna have to beat Croatia to go through.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I hope the cool and good vikings beat Argentina

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Hey! I recognize Gislason because he used to play for my mediocre European football team.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Iceland are cool and i hope every MLS capo that copied their clapping gets thrown in a volcano.

Non zero chance they get out the group. They aren't winning it but they were so well drilled at the Euro's and it's not like Nigeria have considerable amounts of firepower to break them down.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I think Iceland is pretty cool and will root for them in the upcoming tournament!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Go Iceland! :toot:

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Here is a sketch, that you will never understand, about a man who will never get the clap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vquHCdo20E

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Gigi Galli posted:

Same

Its every mls team btw

It’s the worst and I hate it

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Jose posted:

I look forward to England using it when we thrash them 7-1 in the final

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the slow clap sounds like a venereal disease

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Get in Iceland, get in.

Also only team allowed to steal the Viking clap chant is a team called the Vikings. That is all.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 14, 2018

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I went to France for the Euros. I’m a filthy American and it was my first international football experience, so I was shocked by how boorish and obnoxious the British fans were. They shitted up every drinking establishment singing the same stupid song about not wanting to go home over and over and over. On the way to the stadium they were really douchey to the Icelandic fans as well. I did a big lol when they lost and it made the whole rest of the month a better experience not having to hear that song anymore. So I like Iceland now, that’s my story.

Edit: I was not really shocked, that was sarcasm

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheQuietWilds posted:

I went to France for the Euros. I’m a filthy American and it was my first international football experience, so I was shocked by how boorish and obnoxious the British fans were. They shitted up every drinking establishment singing the same stupid song about not wanting to go home over and over and over. On the way to the stadium they were really douchey to the Icelandic fans as well. I did a big lol when they lost and it made the whole rest of the month a better experience not having to hear that song anymore. So I like Iceland now, that’s my story.

The British are a plague upon the world, it’s true.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

The British are a plague upon the world, it’s true.

Protip: the British are great, the English, Welsh, Irish and Scots are scum.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lionel who?

Good job, Ice lads

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Iceland copied it from Motherwell

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

TheQuietWilds posted:

Funny cuz Britain weren't playing in the euros

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Lionel who?

Good job, Ice lads

:cawg:

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
At what point would Iceland lose the minnow tag? We have been ranked the top team in the Nordics for some years, have performed consistently for 4 years now, beating England, Netherlands, Croatia and Turkey. Now we have held top teams to a draw in major tournaments. We are small but have access to world class coaching and facilities at all levels. When do we go from minnow fairytale to just a country that’s good at football?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Dog Friday posted:

At what point would Iceland lose the minnow tag? We have been ranked the top team in the Nordics for some years, have performed consistently for 4 years now, beating England, Netherlands, Croatia and Turkey. Now we have held top teams to a draw in major tournaments. We are small but have access to world class coaching and facilities at all levels. When do we go from minnow fairytale to just a country that’s good at football?

When your population gets above 500k.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamn did russian commenter Vasiliy Utkin thrown utter truthbombs about Iceland. They are not there to play football they are here to ruin football for others. There is no genius or spark, they figured out a way to be roadbump for everybody else and retardedly stick to that because they are unable to create anything else. Vicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UktEANpfFDk

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol I like that we all disagreed with you in the other thread so you came and posted the same thing here in the cool Iceland thread for the cool Icelandic team instead

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well at least it's in the right thread!

There were definitely a few people in the mdt that agreed though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Well at least it's in the right thread!

There were definitely a few people in the mdt that agreed though.

They were also wrong though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

They were also wrong though.

They are entitled to their insanely bad opinion.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, sure my mistake by posting in the other thread but what would you have me do once its done?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's bollocks, though. I find them really unusual to watch because they actually look like a real, league football team. They know how to play together and according to a plan in a way you barely see at international level. Alright the players are a bit limited, but that's true of half the teams in the tournament.

Also with slightly better finishing they would have been 3-1 up against Argentina by half time, that's not a "roadbump".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And they did score their goals in the Euro, it's just that they were up against Argentina and not one of the weaker nations.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Goddamn did russian commenter Vasiliy Utkin thrown utter truthbombs about Iceland. They are not there to play football they are here to ruin football for others. There is no genius or spark, they figured out a way to be roadbump for everybody else and retardedly stick to that because they are unable to create anything else. Vicious.

When will this meme die off?

Did people who are absolutely wrong just forget that football is a contact sport and included in contact sport is strength and physicality?
oh boo loving hoo did your tiny twinky-taka boys team get bullied by the big strong men team?
"but they dont play football they are just frauds!!!"
Maybe pick one player from your nation of 30mil+ who can wrestle a cat and win

Pathetic

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Iceland is my team and I can see why people are saying this since we were more defensive than usual, but they don’t usually and won’t play like this in the next two games and the doubts will be put to rest

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Sekenr posted:

do you speak russian? because if you did, he actually gives them props for the type of style they bring to the WC, he just muses on some typicall "romance of the beautifull game" BS, not an "utter truthbomb" by any means

also who the gently caress says truthbomb?!?!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Also what is this guy even saying?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

iceland play exactly like burnley and it rules

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BUG JUG posted:

Protip: the British are great, the English, Welsh, Irish and Scots are scum.

hmm this doesnt sound right at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

babypolis posted:

hmm this doesnt sound right at all

agree I think we're being bamboozled

• Locked thread