Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This whole time I'm imagining the Harley had half a truck battery or something, but they're both just ytx12s or something like that aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm no battery-ologist but I think the starter will just draw the current that it needs to operate, as limited by the batteries ability to discharge.

edit: so yeah, that's awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, current draw is defined by the device doing the drawing, up to the current limit of the battery. Voltage is defined by the cell config of the battery. Spinning faster is a function of voltage, and Harleys are plain old 12v systems, so they wont act any differently. "Bigger" batteries for automotive applications tend just to be more cells paralleled up for more current, which is again defined by the device doing the current draw.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When someone has just passed their (UK) test.

"I'm going to ride sensibly."
"I'll ride much more safely than everyone else."
"I'll never speed."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"Your headlight is out"

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Elviscat posted:

"Your headlight is out"

As someone with an MT-10 and who rides onto military bases every day, I get this constantly. I just tell them that the bike is winking at them because they're doing such a good job checking IDs.

Favorite one recently: "This is my first Harley, but I rode dirtbikes before! I know how to ride twisties!" >> Goes 15km/h around a very gentle 2 lane wide curve.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Edit: it sounded stupid after I read it

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
"My brother's ex-roommate's cousin died riding a motorcycle, I hope your family is prepared for you to die riding that murder cycle."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol yeah the first time i posted a picture of my motorcycle on facebook the first comment was my uncle saying "i hope you are an organ donor"

thanks, uncle

thuncle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

"My brother's ex-roommate's cousin died riding a motorcycle, I hope your family is prepared for you to die riding that murder cycle."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Bmcdvfans

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

"You can't take it on the highway because the engine sounds like it's gonna fly apart!"

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It fell over for no reason. Of course I was (not speeding, looking where I was going) and when it got bad I did not (lock up the front brake, lock up the rear brake, lock up both brakes.)

There's no such thing as counter steering, it's a complete myth, just grab the bars and force the bike in the direction you want to go.

If you think you're going to wreck, simply jump clear, you won't get hurt.

Harley Davidson builds the largest and most powerful engines ever made to be put in a motorcycle.

Wearing a motorcycle helmet will snap your neck the instant you get into a crash no matter what speed you are going.

Slide Hammer posted:

"You can't take it on the highway because the engine sounds like it's gonna fly apart!"

A 500cc motor and under can only do about 60MPH and has no right to be on the highway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Harley Davidson builds the largest and most powerful engines ever made to be put in a motorcycle.

it's interesting how this one co-exists with "those jap crap crotch rockets are TOO FAST"

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

There's no such thing as counter steering, it's a complete myth, just grab the bars and force the bike in the direction you want to go.

This is so much easier to explain to a complete motorcycle newbie, than the untrained-but-has-been-lucky rider who still thinks "I lean to turn" and won't listen to anybody. Or even try it just to see if it works.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was privy to an argument about countersteering once where it became apparent after a while that the guy who didn't believe countersteering works was actually pushing down on the bars instead of forwards. Like, as if you could somehow muscle the bike onto its side by pushing down on one grip and pulling up on the other. Now that I've seen it once for real, I'm convinced that there are lots more people out there with that same severe misunderstanding of the dynamics involved -- "I am pushing, I am, nothing's happening!!"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the kid i knew who went from a rebel 250 to an r6 after like 300 miles ended up selling it. now he wants an indian scout, he was explaining to me that cruisers require different braking techniques, "like mostly rear brake" because of their low center of gravity

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
you definitely won't go from one fun, running bike to a giant poo poo pile of broken garbage and backlog of projects that you're too depressed to work on most of the time.

also "just needs a top end"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

the kid i knew who went from a rebel 250 to an r6 after like 300 miles ended up selling it. now he wants an indian scout, he was explaining to me that cruisers require different braking techniques, "like mostly rear brake" because of their low center of gravity

This exact thing was taught to me by an MSF instructor.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Razzled posted:

Just do the world and the kid a service and kill him now.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I have absolutely no idea what people even mean when they say countersteering isint a thing, you can even do it with a pedal bike. It's how I learned to ride on my 250.

Anyways I got a ton of poo poo from a big huge old harley man i used to work with for having a ninja 250 and riding it on the highway to work. Pretty sure his 950lbs heritage softtail deluxe wasnt much quicker. I could do about 110 mph without issue.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yerok posted:

you definitely won't go from one fun, running bike to a giant poo poo pile of broken garbage and backlog of projects that you're too depressed to work on most of the time.

also "just needs a top end"

Just needs a battery and a carb cleaning

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I don't have the title but I can write you a bill of sale, should be fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
has vermont registration which is good forever and no problem

puppet pal mitch
Oct 23, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I was privy to an argument about countersteering once where it became apparent after a while that the guy who didn't believe countersteering works was actually pushing down on the bars instead of forwards. Like, as if you could somehow muscle the bike onto its side by pushing down on one grip and pulling up on the other. Now that I've seen it once for real, I'm convinced that there are lots more people out there with that same severe misunderstanding of the dynamics involved -- "I am pushing, I am, nothing's happening!!"

This is how i turn. It works perfectly fine. I have never met anyone confused about how to turn a motorcycle in person. It's so wildly uncomplicated im convinced it occurs only in stories by internet pedants

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ADINSX posted:

I don't have the title but I can write you a bill of sale, should be fine

You can just file for lost title, even though it was never in your name.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

puppet pal mitch posted:

This is how i turn. It works perfectly fine. I have never met anyone confused about how to turn a motorcycle in person. It's so wildly uncomplicated im convinced it occurs only in stories by internet pedants

I feel like explaining how motorcycles turn is one of those things that only makes sense to someone if they have experience turning motorcycles. Otherwise it just sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why the gently caress do motorcycle riders want to discuss it so much? It's as pedantic as arguing over how you chew and equally as loving stupid.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Since you can "push in the direction that you want to go," you can also pull in the direction that you don't want to go to achieve the same effect.

And then, when you combine them, you get a REALLY fast turn-in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

puppet pal mitch posted:

Like, you're pushing down on the bar towards the ground, as if you hung a brick off the grip with a rope?

If that's how you're turning, try real countersteering and be amazed

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Like, you're pushing down on the bar towards the ground, as if you hung a brick off the grip with a rope?

He's not, he just thinks he is. That's what every countersteering argument breaks down into, a bunch of people shouting about what they THINK they're doing, only a few of whom are actually correct. You're probably the most knowledgeable person about physics on here, you know there's not really much room for variation in the mechanics of turning in a two-wheeled vehicle with the traditional fork-and-steerer-tube design. Keith Code's (?) no-lean bike pretty effectively illustrates that lean alone doesn't factor into actual turning that much, so it's mostly countersteering, which only happens in one way.

e:grammar

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 18, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, I mean, I'm not going to go into a full on :spergin: about the dynamics but you're correct that there is objectively only one sort of torque on the steering axis that can initiate a countersteer. Now, I can imagine that what's happening is the guy's handlebar geometry is partially converting his downward pressure into a forwards torque, causing the bike to steer, making it seem like his technique works (which it does, inefficiently). Or I guess he thinks he's pushing downwards but is unaware of what his own body is doing? But I can't understand how anyone would do that and not notice what was actually happening to the bars. Do people actually pay that little attention to their own/their vehicle's behavior?

obviously yes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

Since you can "push in the direction that you want to go," you can also pull in the direction that you don't want to go to achieve the same effect.

And then, when you combine them, you get a REALLY fast turn-in.

Also useful when you're stiffening up and need to shake at least some part of your body out, or when you're doing the whole nonchalant-rider-elbow-on-the-tank-chin-on-your-hand gag

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Do people actually pay that little attention to their own/their vehicle's behavior?

Yes, but I can't really blame anyone for that. Most of us started riding bicycles, thereby countersteering, long before we had a concept of what it is. It's when you never bothered to learn about it yet decide to engage in debates about it because it is a Motorcycle Talking Point that it's just pissing in the wind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

For content, one of my favorite moto lies:

I'm gonna put a turbo on it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Do people actually pay that little attention to their own/their vehicle's behavior?

Considering almost every single person today drives a car that is a modern engineering marvel and probably 80% of them think their vehicle will careen uncontrollably off the road taking any corner at more than 30mph....

Yes. Yes they pay that little attention.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For content, one of my favorite moto lies:

I'm gonna put a turbo on it.

I have only ever seen one aftermarket turbocharged streetbike out in the wild. It was an oil-cooled GSXR-1000 drag bike that the owner had swapped the factory swingarm back onto in order to go on a ride with some friends of mine and I because his other bikes were down for the count at the time.

I have never seen a more awe-inspiring, yet completely terrifying unstreetable monster of a bike on the street.

It made zero power down low. I was on a GSXR-600 at the time, which also made no power down low and I could leave him in the dust from a standing start (because he also didnt have the two step rev-limiter and other boost building things turned on on the street), but once the revs climbed and his turbo spooled, he would blow by me like I was in reverse in every single gear. He ran with the boost turned down on the street and it was still completely bananas at pretty much all times.

Turbo bikes on the street just dont make a ton of sense and so no one does it except a few weirdos, is what I'm saying.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yes, but I can't really blame anyone for that. Most of us started riding bicycles, thereby countersteering, long before we had a concept of what it is.

I tried motorcycle countersteering on a bicycle once... I fell over really fast. (As in, onto the ground.) You have to be going pretty fast for it to become countersteering, and then, the tires are so skinny, that you just fall into max lean near-instantly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slide Hammer posted:

I tried motorcycle countersteering on a bicycle once... I fell over really fast. (As in, onto the ground.) You have to be going pretty fast for it to become countersteering, and then, the tires are so skinny, that you just fall into max lean near-instantly.

Hah, i ride bmx on the side and have been backporting some of my moto learnings to the pedal bike. countersteering is POWERFUL on a 20". I think it has to do with center of grav, ratio of bike to rider weight, something. But yeah if you start doing the moto countersteer on a bicycle, you get some terrifyingly sharp turns.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, I mean, I'm not going to go into a full on :spergin: about the dynamics but you're correct that there is objectively only one sort of torque on the steering axis that can initiate a countersteer. Now, I can imagine that what's happening is the guy's handlebar geometry is partially converting his downward pressure into a forwards torque, causing the bike to steer, making it seem like his technique works (which it does, inefficiently). Or I guess he thinks he's pushing downwards but is unaware of what his own body is doing? But I can't understand how anyone would do that and not notice what was actually happening to the bars. Do people actually pay that little attention to their own/their vehicle's behavior?

obviously yes

Honestly I never thought about it hard until reading this thread but I probably would have said I push "down". On reflection the way my body geometry changes as I lean in the opposite direction and the height of my bars it's definitely "forward".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

To myself: "man, it sure is hot, riding with the visor up for a few minutes would sure be awesome!"
*gets eyeballs sandblasted and slams visor shut again*
Five minutes later: "golly, it's a scorcher today it..."