Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I've now played enough Runequest (4th Ed.) that I want to start my own game. Figured I'd see if there's interest here before putting a post in TG Game Recruitment. General principles of what I want to run are:

1) Weekly or bi-weekly, voice chat over Discord.
2) Single Homeland or Mixed Party: Up for debate before game start, during char creation
3) Elder Races: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
4) Lunars: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
5) Start Date: Earth Season, 1625.

I'm on EST, can run the game on weekday evenings. Is anyone interested, and if so, what kind of Runequest game do you want to play in?

I'm definitely interested! I'd be happiest with something I recognize from KODP or Six Ages, being a huge fan of those games, but I could always make a character from there no matter where we play (within reason I assume).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I've now played enough Runequest (4th Ed.) that I want to start my own game. Figured I'd see if there's interest here before putting a post in TG Game Recruitment. General principles of what I want to run are:

1) Weekly or bi-weekly, voice chat over Discord.
2) Single Homeland or Mixed Party: Up for debate before game start, during char creation
3) Elder Races: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
4) Lunars: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
5) Start Date: Earth Season, 1625.

I'm on EST, can run the game on weekday evenings. Is anyone interested, and if so, what kind of Runequest game do you want to play in?

I would be interested in playing as long as it wasn't on a Sunday since I have a Red Markets game that day.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I would be interested in playing as long as it wasn't on a Sunday since I have a Red Markets game that day.

Weeknights only

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What hours are you thinking?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm good for anything reasonable 6PM+ EST on the understanding that I generally have work in the morning, and expect sessions to last ~2 hrs plus a little extra time for RQ's post-session mechanics (POW Gain rolls etc.).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be available Tuesday-Thursday.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I can do any night but wednesday.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've made a separate thread in Game Room for further discussion.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I ran the intro adventure from 13th Age Glorantha to a group of 4 two weeks ago. I premade characters for them as we had at most 4 hours to play and none had played 13th Age before, one had not ever played any rpg's. The characters were an Orlanthi Rebel, Orlanthi Storm Voice, Duck Humakti, and a Sun Dome Templar (mechanically Orlanthi Paladin). All 1st level. The group liked it a lot and grokked the rune system fairly easily and the mechanics were not too much of a challenge to the newbie either (they played the paladin, mechanically most simple). Im going to run more of this as soon as I can, but they really should have put premade characters into the book.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
excellent adventure for doing an Orlanthi initiation heroquest as a starting adventure

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.chaosium.com/blogvale-greg-stafford-1948-2018/
RIP Greg Stafford

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Goodbye Greg, you were one of the few people to ever live up to their potential, and a nice guy to boot.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'm running a 5th Edition D&D game set in Glorantha, and one of my players had a question: What happens if a man manifests the Earth Rune? Women who manifest Air can become Vingans, but nothing is said that I've found about Earth aspected men?

I was thinking they'd worship Barntar, but I understand he's an Air god. Do any gods in the Earth Tribe accept men?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TwoQuestions posted:

I'm running a 5th Edition D&D game set in Glorantha, and one of my players had a question: What happens if a man manifests the Earth Rune? Women who manifest Air can become Vingans, but nothing is said that I've found about Earth aspected men?

I was thinking they'd worship Barntar, but I understand he's an Air god. Do any gods in the Earth Tribe accept men?

Nanda is the male counterpart to Vinga among the Earth Tribe, and works in much the same ways; Nandans are allowed in the holy Ernalda shed, etc.

(He's also the god that more gender-conforming Orlanthi pray to when they need to fix something in the house, calm down a baby, etc.)

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 26, 2018

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

They can also worship Maran Gor. They can't become a priest without getting castrated, but they can initiate into the cult no problem.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Nanda is the male counterpart to Vinga among the Earth Tribe, and works in much the same ways; Nandans are allowed in the holy Ernalda shed, etc.

(He's also the god that more gender-conforming Orlanthi pray to when they need to fix something in the house, calm down a baby, etc.)

Did not know Nanda at all, thanks!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can men join the Babesteer Gor cult?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Officially no, although your Glorantha will vary. If you've got a good reason for a man to join instead of Humakt or whatever, go for it. You could say that anyone joining the cult spiritually counts as a woman, like the reverse of Orlanth and Vinga. It probably wouldn't matter much since Axe Sisters are really connected to the Death Rune and don't get involved in most of the standard Ernalda ceremonies beyond guarding them, so they wouldn't be learning Women's Secrets they shouldn't know.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Generally, an Orlanthi person who identifies as a man is never getting into a cult that is only for women without doing some serious God-Learner or Illuminate poo poo, but trans folk probably can. After all, initiates of Nandan are accorded the same rights as any Ernaldan cultist, getting to go into the special women's-only places without getting killed by an Axe Maiden. Presumably one who initiates into adulthood via the Nandan way gets to do whatever Earth cult stuff they want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looks like I'm gonna be starting up a Heroquest game in about two weeks. My group has rotating GMs and I thought I was gonna have to wait for my turn but it looks like I'm next after all. I have a few ideas kicking around in my head that I figured I'd run by here to see whether it comes adjacent to the cool parts of the setting that one of our resident loremasters can inform me of, or any pitfalls of ways I'm telling a not-very-Glorantha story in the setting and thus not getting all I could out of it. I'm pretty sure a few of the things here are not-quite-canon but my Glorantha varies

The opening session is going to be pseudo character creation and pseudo a real first session. The clan they belong to, as part of their sacred time rituals, initiates 15 year old girls and 16 year old boys as adults, in a (safe, because it is so well-trodden) heroquest where the children run through the history of the clan from its origins up until the dawn, where they step out of godtime into the real world to hear the rest of the clan's history told in more mundane means. I intend to use this heroquest as a clan creation and character creation session--the decisions the PCs make during the quest will be the history of the clan, and they'll be questing as fully-fledged heroes and can decide on their skills as challenges come up. At the end of the quest, Orlanth will call most of the boys to his side, Ernalda most of the girls, and the rest of the new adults will be called to the side of the gods they show a special affinity for, but the PCs are going to get lost and end up talking to a true dragon instead, who will lay out the framework for the rest of the campaign (which I'll get to below).

The clan history needs a few key events and I just don't know pre-time Gloranthan history that well. I have the first question in mind as something like "You worship Orlanth not because of his birth, but because of his deeds. There was a time when he had not yet earned your loyalty, and you worshiped another god as your chief deity. Who was it?" and offer some off-the-wall choices like Zorak Zoran and Flamal, gods that Orlanthi don't normally worship but this clan will, and come up with backstories for how that came to be. But I don't have any good ideas yet for other major events in the clan's history to show.

As for what the dragon tells them, I intend it to be cryptic imagery that takes them a number of years to disentangle so they're more mature proto-heroes in the first proper session. The planned upshot is that they need to physically enter the underworld, with their entire clan in tow (or potentially some other sorry group of people since heroes do crazy poo poo). The idea here is that I wanted to give my players a guided tour of (part of) Glorantha but still retain the community-based aspects of the setting that are so crucial to it. I intend to give them a few options of known entrances to the underworld that are big enough and present in the physical world but will push them towards one at the tip of Valind's glacier because that path takes them through so many of the central areas of the setting. Is there any less-known cool poo poo along that path? As for why they're going to the underworld, I intend that to be something they aren't completely sure about but I've had a few ideas for it, including descending beyond the underworld to the double-underworld (basically a hole leading to the chaos outside the world), where beings slain by Kajabor end up, and bringing someone back from there, but honestly the actual goal is still in flux and less important than the journey.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Generally, an Orlanthi person who identifies as a man is never getting into a cult that is only for women without doing some serious God-Learner or Illuminate poo poo, but trans folk probably can. After all, initiates of Nandan are accorded the same rights as any Ernaldan cultist, getting to go into the special women's-only places without getting killed by an Axe Maiden. Presumably one who initiates into adulthood via the Nandan way gets to do whatever Earth cult stuff they want.

There's a caveat to this though, explicitly noted: Ernalda is in many ways a motherhood goddess, including having specific aspects for this. As they cannot give birth (at least without some serious heroquesting-level magic) Nandan cultists cannot initiate to these aspects, or learn the mysteries or gain the magic associated with this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Okay so some events you can back up include is what is mentioned in the pre-time section of the KoDP game. For example: Who are your ancient enemies? What happened to your clan during the chaos wars?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

At the end of the quest, Orlanth will call most of the boys to his side, Ernalda most of the girls, and the rest of the new adults will be called to the side of the gods they show a special affinity for, but the PCs are going to get lost and end up talking to a true dragon instead, who will lay out the framework for the rest of the campaign (which I'll get to below).

The clan history needs a few key events and I just don't know pre-time Gloranthan history that well. I have the first question in mind as something like "You worship Orlanth not because of his birth, but because of his deeds. There was a time when he had not yet earned your loyalty, and you worshiped another god as your chief deity. Who was it?" and offer some off-the-wall choices like Zorak Zoran and Flamal, gods that Orlanthi don't normally worship but this clan will, and come up with backstories for how that came to be. But I don't have any good ideas yet for other major events in the clan's history to show.

As for what the dragon tells them, I intend it to be cryptic imagery that takes them a number of years to disentangle so they're more mature proto-heroes in the first proper session.

This sounds like there was some kind of God Learner/Empire of Wyrm Friends influence on the clan to make them so weird. Is that what you had in mind?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

White Coke posted:

This sounds like there was some kind of God Learner/Empire of Wyrm Friends influence on the clan to make them so weird. Is that what you had in mind?

No, I just sort of latched onto the idea that Orlanth commanded respect by right of his deeds and any clan with a deep history would be able to trace itself to a time where they didn't yet worship him. For most clans that meant another storm god, or Heler, or Elmal, or whatever but surely there's a few oddballs out there

Unless you meant some other part of the post where I'm non-canon

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I can see Flamal having human worshippers as some off shoot of an Earth leaning clan but I don't think Zorak Zoran has non-troll worshippers. Humans who want to worship him get turned into trolls, and he doesn't seem to have positive relationships with non-Darkness gods. Plus his worshippers get turned into undead so he's going to come into conflict with Humakt.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Iirc there are human worshipers of zorak zoran, either as hardcore followers of Arkat, berserkers from troll-influenced lands or real psychos. It wouldn’t be unimaginable to have a clan that worshiped Zorak Zoran in the great Darkness.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Zorak Zoran is a fairly open cult, actually. According to my preview edition of Gods of Glorantha, "Dark trolls, great trolls, Mistress Race trolls, men, dragonnewts, beast men, and baboons are welcome to join this cult." Also the occasional exceptional trollkin. You just have to join one of their fighting companies and be good at smashing stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't have any of the setting books besides the Guide and Glorantha sourcebook so my god knowledge outside of kodp/six ages (and the lore posts made in those threads) is kinda lacking

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Your Glorantha Will Vary, adding stuff like a human clan with a Zorak Zoran tradition is encouraged.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, you only have to become a troll to worship Kyger Litor (Who serves double duty as the troll version of Daka Fal- basically the idea is that if you want to worship the mother of trolls you've got troll blood somewhere in your family tree and find 'an ancestor in the darkness.') But most of the other troll gods don't require that.

It could also be a matter of some sort of "Fair's fair" exchange- there's a named clan of Humakti trolls- the Sazdorf. Maybe the human Zorak Zorani clan is payback for that.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 2, 2018

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I know this may be weird, but are there any bee gods? Or is that too small of a portfolio to get space in any Glorantha guide?

If not, where would they go? They're heirarchical, which says Sky domain, but they help plants grow which says Earth god to me.

What do y'all think?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Insects are typically darkness aligned as well. If I had to guess they probably have a very idiosyncratic origin. Possibly shared with ants and termites

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The trolls have pretty amazing insect gods in Aransas and Gorakiki, which have spells that let you grow extra arms and insect bits, but i don’t think there’s anything for Bees. Easiest way to make one would be tweaking Erithia and treating Bees as the herd beast, as well as adding some cool stuff because she’s a pretty boring god.

Further poking around led me to a tribe of Bee worshippers in the holy Country that worship a god called Enra, but there's no info on them aside from having conflict with far more fleshed-out wasp riding pygmies. Also a dead people in Pamaltela called the Jalosi who had weapons made of solid honey.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2018

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

TwoQuestions posted:

I know this may be weird, but are there any bee gods? Or is that too small of a portfolio to get space in any Glorantha guide?

If not, where would they go? They're heirarchical, which says Sky domain, but they help plants grow which says Earth god to me.

What do y'all think?

Gorakiki is the goddess of insects, mostly worshipped by trolls, and her worship consists of dozens of smaller subcults, each dedicated to a specific insect variant of Gorakiki: Gorakiki-Beetle, Gorakiki-Locust, etc. Gorakiki-Bee is the second-largest subcult (after Beetle) because trolls value honey and because large bees are ridden by trollkin warriors.

In no-longer-canon material, the bee aspect of Gorakiki is called Jikibir Bee-Mother.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What runes is Heler associated with? I have a player who wants to be a Heler cultist but they aren't a listed god in the heroquest book. I guessed water/movement

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cheetah7071 posted:

What runes is Heler associated with? I have a player who wants to be a Heler cultist but they aren't a listed god in the heroquest book. I guessed water/movement
I'm pretty sure it's Water and Movement.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, water and movement. He's got a full writeup in the Sartar companion.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Please enjoy this fantastic Esrola priestess art I just got!

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Is that by Jacob Hinds by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JanPospisil posted:

Is that by Jacob Hinds by any chance?

Nooo, it's by a lady I know from LARPing actually!