Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://time.com/5314658/who-gaming-disorder/

For video game addicts, it might soon be “game over.”

In its latest revision to a disease classification manual, the World Health Organization said Monday that compulsively playing video games now qualifies as a new mental health condition. The statement confirmed the fears of many parents but led some critics to warn that it may risk stigmatizing young video players.

The U.N. health agency said classifying “Gaming Disorder” as a separate condition will “serve a public health purpose for countries to be better prepared to identify this issue.”

Dr. Shekhar Saxena, director of WHO’s department for mental health, said WHO accepted the proposal that Gaming Disorder should be listed as a new problem based on scientific evidence, in addition to “the need and the demand for treatment in many parts of the world.”

Dr. Joan Harvey, a spokeswoman for the British Psychological Society, said only a minority of gamers would be affected by the disorder and warned that the new designation might cause unnecessary concern among parents.

“People need to understand this doesn’t mean every child who spends hours in their room playing games is an addict, otherwise medics are going to be flooded with requests for help,” she said.

Others welcomed WHO’s new classification, saying it was critical to identify video game addicts quickly because they are usually teenagers or young adults who don’t seek help themselves.

“We come across parents who are distraught, not only because they’re seeing their child drop out of school, but because they’re seeing an entire family structure fall apart,” said Dr. Henrietta Bowden-Jones, a spokeswoman for behavioral addictions at Britain’s Royal College of Psychiatrists. She was not connected to WHO’s decision.

do you think I can get disability checks for being a gamer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Spore was so bad it ruined my life and I need compensation.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I often find myself standing outside bus stops, scratching at invisible bugs, begging passers by for just one quick go of Solitaire on their phones. Just one more round of Tetris, that's all I need... then I'll clean myself up, maybe the wife will let me see the kids, Zelda and Dizzy again.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
heck yeah a fellow Dizzy fan

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of drugs can I get if I have this mental condition?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I once sucked a man's dick for Donkey Kong

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

For video game addicts, it might soon be “game over.”
:vince:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"They're coming, man," I say as I rock quietly on my bed, ignoring the doctor shaking his head and whispering to his aide. "They promised the spaceships are coming."

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Yeah I suck dick for my WOW subscription, doesn't mean I have a problem Dr. Buzzkill

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
the mental condition should be that people who identify themselves as gamers are stupid

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah well maybe if they patched work and life to have higher rates of income and fulfillment, escapism would stop being the dominant build.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gamers are even more pathetic than crack addicts... at least crack addicts don't randomly decide to imitate what they see in videogames and murder an entire school

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

i am no longer a "gamer"

I am now a "video player"

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

"They're coming, man," I say as I rock quietly on my bed, ignoring the doctor shaking his head and whispering to his aide. "They promised the spaceships are coming."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We should declare using the phrase "game over" in articles about video games a disorder.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

We should declare using the phrase "game over" in articles about video games a disorder.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

a bone to pick posted:

What kind of drugs can I get if I have this mental condition?

health pots

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm gonna print out this article and show this to the loving FACIST who towed my car for parking in a handicap spot

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Studying for the bar exam has effectively prevented me from playing video games for the last month or so. When I started getting the shakes, I assumed it was because of alcohol withdrawal, but it’s good to know that it’s just from video game withdrawal instead.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So is spending too much time browsing the internet going to be a disorder next? Spending too much time on social media?

I thought it was already pretty well established that all of those things are highly correlated with depression. Depressed people tend to spend all their waking moments on distractions and escapism.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

it's just not a party unless you snort a fat rail of ground up DS cartridges off a hooker's rear end

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It read like they were suggesting that gamers should commit suicide. Extremely unprofessional imo

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dads friend steve posted:

It read like they were suggesting that gamers should commit suicide. Extremely unprofessional imo

they should though

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
video games are bad. if youve ever played a videogame gently caress you

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I remember my first stint in video game rehab, aka my dad making me go outside and play

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sucrose posted:

So is spending too much time browsing the internet going to be a disorder next? Spending too much time on social media?

I thought it was already pretty well established that all of those things are highly correlated with depression. Depressed people tend to spend all their waking moments on distractions and escapism.

it already is but I’m not sure if it’s in the DSM

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

it's just not a party unless you snort a fat rail of ground up DS cartridges off a hooker's rear end

DS Dust doesn't do poo poo for me ever since I got Switched

That loving bitterant

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Any activity that makes you feel good so you keep doing it should be considered a disorder.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
The more disorders there are, then the more the pharmaceutical industry profits. :capitalism:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

drat SJWs at it again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What's the treatment for Gaming Disorder?

I think parents should take the "get caught smoking, force em to smoke a carton" approach. Kid playing playing too many video games? Force em to play nothing but Ubisoft titles for hours on end.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

20 years from now we will look back at this classification and think "how barbaric" as we finally elect our first gamer president

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Now you can officially be diagnosed as a Sexual Gaming Addict.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

reminder that a hockey podcast co-host said that a first-round draft pick from a couple of years ago will never make the NHL because he plays too many video games. unfortunately he kept the guy's name anonymous

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verisimilidude posted:

I once sucked a man's dick for Donkey Kong
I once sucked a girl's dick for Ms. Pac-Man.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I once sucked a girl's dick for Ms. Pac-Man.

Woke gamer

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Everything is a disorder these days. :rolleyes:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I believe the answer to your question is "everyone" but you really ought to put a "?" (question mark) after your sentences to indicate that you are asking a question.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

central dogma posted:

The more disorders there are, then the more the pharmaceutical industry profits. :capitalism:

Have they invented a pill against video games yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

yeah, that was a good one

• Locked thread