Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Welcome again in out Hublot Forum of Friendship match day thread. It's day six of the FIFA World Cup 2016, and today we will see the last teams that haven't played yet.

Three matches today, as usual:

Colombia vs Japan, 14:00 CET, 1 p.m. BST, 8 a.m. EST, Saransk
Poland vs Senegal, 17:00 CET, 4 p.m. BST, 11 a.m. EST, Moscow
Russia vs Egypt, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Saint Petersburg

First up is Group H with Colombia vs Japan. Colombia are slight favorites to win the group, and the team around James Rodriguez will want to put away an aging Japan. It can still be a decent game of football, this pairing is not as lopsided as Belgium vs Panama was yesterday for example. Unfortunately, I think a repeat of Sweden vs South Korea is more likely. And there probably won't be another giant grasshopper attack like in Brazil 2014 :(

Afterwards we have Poland vs Senegal. Robert Lewandowski is Poland's big star, scoring more goals in this World Cup qualifying than any other player. The rest of the squad is also pretty solid, with many of them playing in Italy, England or Germany. The bookies think they will win over Senegal, but it's pretty close. Senegal will hope that the Champion's League defeat to Madrid hasn't hurt the spirit of one of their most important attackers, Sadio Mané. A lot of their players ply their trade in France or England, they shouldn't be underestimated. But in this relatively balanced group, they have the worst chances at advancing to the knockout stages.

Russia play Egypt in the first game of the group stage's second round. After their convincing display against Saudi Arabia, the Russians are favored to win against Egypt, who narrowly lost to Uruguay 0-1. Much will depend on the fitness of Mohamed Salah, since Egypt created some pretty decent chances against their South American opponent, but didn't have a clinical striker to convert any of them into goals. It also remains to be seen just how bad Saudi Arabia really are, Russia might not be as strong as their 5-0 victory indicates.

For more info, look up the team threads:

Colombian Team Thread
Japanese Team Thread
PolishTeam Thread
Senegalese Team Thread
Russian Team Thread
Egyptian Team Thread

After the underdogs failed to stand up to the top teams yesterday (though Tunisia nearly drew England), and with none of the big favorites playing today, this will probably be a more normal day of football. Russia vs Egypt is likely to be the best game, provided Salah returns. Join us again in this Hublot Forum of Friendship to another round of football today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope plucky Japan nips a win from the colombos

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

fridge corn posted:

the colombos
Hames: "Just one more thing..."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, this is not match day 5 as the thread title indicates :negative:

I would be much obliged if a mod could correct my mistake.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
after yesterday's england drama i am glad that today is a day of neutrals for me. go football!!!

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
looking forward to another day of the foot op

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm a big fan of group H, it feels like a proper World Cup group. Four continents and mostly teams I don't know much about.

I hope Senegal are good, they have the best chance of being so of any of the African teams. Mane behind Diafra Sakho is a pretty dangerous strike force.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
it's not going to any of these countries

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

frankenfreak posted:

Hames: "Just one more thing..."

Still maintain Van Persies header was better

3 potentially good games today

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Still maintain Van Persies header was better

Both not as good as Cahill's volley.
Why yes I am Australian.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

cohsae posted:

Why yes I am Australian.

this is the correct answer

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

cohsae posted:

Why yes I am Australian.

Cahill's volley is objectively better; he only needed the one touch.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Aphex- posted:

after yesterday's england drama i am glad that today is a day of neutrals for me. go football!!!

I'm still buzzing from last night.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Coffee vs anime is a hell of a dilemma to start the day

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ganbarre dear samurai, ganbarre

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

don't import anime into the hallowed world cup match day thread you goddamn ignoramus

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Banzai

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
James is out. Calf injury.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TraderStav posted:

pure wagyu baby

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TraderStav posted:

I was looking forward to him doing his thing against the Japanese defense :(

Any word on Salah?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Any word on Salah?

They said he’s fine, but then again they already bluffed about it ahead of the game with Uruguay

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Torrannor posted:

Any word on Salah?

If Cuadrado can keep himself from falling over at the slightest breeze he should be fun to watch.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Rooting for the columbinaldandodos because reasons. Hoping the Virtual Anime Referee doesnt commit them a sayonara. Two games of the beautiful game and then Saudis. It will be a phwoar matchday.

E: the saudis are tomorrow. Hope to see Salah make goals

poty
Jun 21, 2008

kecske posted:

don't import anime into the hallowed world cup match day thread you goddamn ignoramus

I apologize kecske-san, committing seppuku as we speak

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
banzai banzai banzai

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gigi Galli posted:

If Cuadrado can keep himself from falling over at the slightest breeze he should be fun to watch.

While you are here, could you edit the tread title to properly say day 6 instead of 5? Thanks a lot!

I'm rooting for Japan just for little Shinji Kagawa alone, who's a cool and good Dortmund player.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
was really looking forward to Poland-Senegal but i have a follow-up dentist appointment during the match so i'll have to miss it :(

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also russia-egypt should be good, it's pretty close to being a second-place playoff to see who gets out of the group so both teams should give it their all

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

coffees victory is certain

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If salah plays russia could get a spanking.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Whats for dinner, cocaine sandwich?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Torrannor posted:

While you are here, could you edit the tread title to properly say day 6 instead of 5? Thanks a lot!

I'm rooting for Japan just for little Shinji Kagawa alone, who's a cool and good Dortmund player.

Sure thing. I also wouldn't mind Japan winning, Honda is cool even though he can be frustratingly poor at critical times.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
:japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

Sure thing. I also wouldn't mind Japan winning, Honda is cool even though he can be frustratingly poor at critical times.

For sure they need to work on his reliability and straight-line speed

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

poty posted:

For sure they need to work on his reliability and straight-line speed

Yes he has trouble shifting in to high gear.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

poty posted:

Coffee vs anime is a hell of a dilemma to start the day

anime

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at the colombia fan whose shirt is a giant colombian flag

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://youtu.be/QgRLAVOiP3U

:3:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Colombia vs Japan
Ref: Damir Skomina (SVN)
VAR: Danny Makkelie (NED)

Skomina is an interesting case. He missed out on the 2014 World Cup (likely) because his ARs screwed up. Every year, it seems like "Ok, this will be the year he finally gets the Champions League final", but he always gets left out, probably because his country means he could do it literally any year so when other folks are free from being country tied or about to age out, they decide to hold off on pulling the trigger. His last big match in the lead up to this was the Roma 4 - Liverpool 2 semifinal in the Champions League, where he was poor, but a couple of the big misses there were, again, his ARs. Other games the forum might remember are Barca 3 Chelsea 0 from the knockouts of the Champions League this year, or the Europa League final between Ajax and Manchester United last year.

Poland vs Senegal
Ref: Nawaf Shukralla (BHR)
VAR: Artur Dias Soares (POR)

He did Australia/Spain and Portugal/Ghana in the group stages at the last world cup. Since he didn't work in the knockouts, he would have been ok in those two games, then. Don't really know a thing about him otherwise. He worked the Club World Cup twice (2012, 2016). He's been an international since 2008 but I'm not sure how tough it would be to get your white badge in Bahrain.

Russia vs Egypt
Ref: Enrique Caceres (PAR)
VAR: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)

He did the Argentina 4 USA 0 semi final from Copa America 2016. I think he was fine in that? I don't really remember him.

• Locked thread