Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Problem description: I have a MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard, with a Ryzen 2700X CPU, that when powered up, if RAM is inserted, the CPU fan starts briefly and then stops, there is no video output and the EZDebug LED says no VGA detected. I have tried booting without RAM, and then I get EZDebug LEDs lit up saying no RAM (of course) and CPU detected, however the CPU fan spins perfectly, and the VGA is detected, though I get no output. Output was via HDMI cable to a TV/Monitor. I just received the motherboard back from an RMA to update the BIOS for the second gen Ryzen CPUs.

Attempted fixes: I've tried reseating RAM, and changing the head for the CPU fan. Haven't tried reseating GPU yet, and due to difficulties getting CPU cooler on, and the one time I did take it off, it taking the CPU off with it (like it was glued with the thermal paste; it hadn't been powered on once at this point; lever on CPU was down, but the socket and pins all looked fine, a very small amount of thermal paste HAD been on the CPU bottom from that, but was cleaned and didn't cover any pins, it's a non-conductive type (MX-4). Not sure how much a problem that is, since it was cleaned, and damage wasn't apparent to any hardware, also, the CPU HAS been detected as mentioned. Given what happened earlier, I am not early comfortable messing with clearing CMOS or reseating TBH, though I can ask some people who are comfortable, so I'll try that if it is a likely problem.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? Brand new system, with nothing on it yet, so no.

Operating system: Not installed yet, can't get far enough to do it.

System specs: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard; EVGA Nvidia 1060 GTX; AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU; Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 4 RAM, 16GB (2x8GB sticks); Corsair RMi 650w PSU; Wraith Prism CPU cooler; Samsung 860 EVO SSD; 4x 140mm case fans; 1x 200mm case fan.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A CPU fan starting briefly and stopping sometimes happens when a PSU is failing or underpowered for the system. Try onboard video if you haven't already.

If that doesn't help then try one stick of RAM.

You can clear CMOS via jumper. It'll just reset BIOS settings.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Yeah, to test onboard video I'd have to take it to the shop, which is sort of the plan at this point. The 2700X doesn't do onboard video unfortunately.

Would be annoyed if it is the PSU, since that's brand new and all, just unsealed yesterday, but I know it occurs. Unfortunately, don't have anything or know anyone who can test that either, other than the shop.

Thanks for the help.

As a side note, would too many case fans on the central hub, that then goes to PWM header Pump_Fan1 on the motherboard potentially cause this? Perhaps from some weird setting for power allotment through the motherboard? I am going to see what happens when I actually plug that into the power supply, instead of having it just plugged into the motherboard, which I think explains a lot.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 23, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

As a side note, would too many case fans on the central hub, that then goes to PWM header Pump_Fan1 on the motherboard potentially cause this? Perhaps from some weird setting for power allotment through the motherboard?

I doubt it as I haven't heard anything like that happening. In recent years the GPU has been the thing that makes or breaks a PSU.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

It's not even connected to the PSU, which, according to the manual, was where I hosed up. It's worth a shot I figure, because it looks like that may be resulting into the motherboard not having enough power to run everything.

Update: Tried that, and as you said, it didn't fix anything, but it's the way it needed to be hooked up anyways. What I did do is test each DIMM individually. One is bad for certain. Still can't get video output though, on HDMI or DVI, even after messing with the GPU, so I am going to go ahead and take it into the shop, since they can run tests I can't.

Thanks again for the help.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Problem solved. RAM clock speeds were too high. Just in case anyone ever has this problem in the future, the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370 board cannot, at least with the current UEFI version, work with RAM that has a clock speed higher than 2400mhz. Since it's solved, I am gonna go ahead and shut this thread down now, thanks again for the help.

• Locked thread