Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Summer Games Done Quick 2018 is over! Thanks for watching and thanks for being a part of raising over 2.1 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders!

It's summer, which means it's time to go fast.

Yes, it's marathon time again! Summer Games Done Quick 2018 happens from June 24th to July 1st! If you're new to this whole GDQ thing, what we're about to watch is an annual speedrunning marathon for charity, with runners from many speedrunning communities across the world and the web: Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos, with the cause of raising money for Doctors Without Borders.

Again, we have two threads - this one is for more slow-paced discussion, actual effortposting about the event and the runs and all related things, whereas the other is for far more fast-paced live reactions. So if that's what you want, head over to the SGDQ 2018 Chill Chat Club. Even if that's where you hang out, I would however like to request for any run recommendations, fanart, especially good memes and other good fan content to be posted in this thread as well, so it doesn't get lost in the noise.

=============

So anyway. The schedule (that automatically adjusts to your timezone if you have Javascript enabled for the GDQ site) is your holy scripture for the event, letting you know when the runs you want to watch are supposed to start. Now, the times will change somewhat as the marathon progresses due to many runs finishing under estimate, but there are measures that will try to ensure that runs start when they're supposed to. The schedule is also available on Horaro (also time zone-adjusted).

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, which when the marathon starts will have the stream, embedded chat, stuff like that. It's streamed on Twitch, so you can use the GDQ Twitch channel to watch as well, but the main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser.

But! You can also watch the marathon in your media player of choice, instead of Firefox or Chrome or what-have-you. For that, you want a little thing called Streamlink. If you've been using Livestreamer, you want to switch to Streamlink - it's literally a better Livestreamer, being a more developed fork of it under a different name. As with Livestreamer, there is also a Streamlink Twitch GUI to go with it - might need a bit of easy configuration. If you're having issues, ask either here or in any of the goon chats. We'll be happy to try to help you. I personally prefer to use it with mpv, but most anything that'll play video should work with it.

If you miss a run you really wanted to watch, don't worry. While it might be more fun to watch live, recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the GDQ Youtube channel. The exquisite website GDQ VODs, which is hosted by fellow goon Steve Holt, usually also tries to keep up with timestamped links to Twitch VODs during the marathon, and should that also fail you, there tends to be a thread for the same purpose on Reddit. To minimize the risk of people recording the stream and uploading monetized videos of the SGDQ runs on Youtube during the marathon, GDQ staff will make an effort to get at least temporary versions up on the Youtube channel during the marathon, so that should be the first place to check.

And what would a live marathon be without watching it together with others? The GDQ experience is usually heightened much by reacting to things together, so hop into one of the chats available. Stay away from Twitch chat, though. It tends to be quite toxic, and under very heavy load - has a decent chance of getting flipped to slow and/or subscribers only mode. Your two options for chatting should instead be IRC and Discord.

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord

=============

If you want to get yourself some merch to represent GDQ all year long, you can absolutely do so. GDQ traditionally partners with a couple of web stores during the event for a collection of GDQ merch, available throughout the event. A percentage of the profit from these will be donated to the charity during the event. You can grab sweet shirts and some other trinkets over at The Yetee, and a variety of items can be picked up from Fangamer too.

=============

And now, some more details about GDQ, what they do and how they got here, because knowledge is power.

In short: Games Done Quick got started in 2010 with Classic Games Done Quick, a modest event that literally happened in Mike Uyama's basement, which raised money for CARE. In the time since, GDQ has grown a lot, and now hosts not one, but two huge speedrunning charity events anually - Awesome Games Done Quick in January, benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Summer Games Done Quick in July-August, benefiting Doctors Without Borders. Right now, GDQ is the largest fundraising event globally for both charities. In 2014, AGDQ became the first GDQ event to break one million dollars in donations for a single event, and since the first marathon, GDQ events have to date raised a total of over fourteen million dollars for charity, including some one-off causes through online marathons such as Japan Relief Done Quick in 2011 and Harvey Relief Done Quick in 2017.

All of the money raised during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. There is no cut taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. You might hear people saying that they do get some of the money - the truth is that AGDQ has become such a large event that putting it on is essentially a full-time job for many of the closest involved, so some of the core staff are employed to make sure that the marathon can happen as it does.

The event keeps growing every year. More and more work is always being put into improving the quality of the stream. But mistakes always happen, and with the sheer amount of tech involved, expecting everything to work 100% flawlessly over the course of a week-long 24/7 live-streamed event is just not realistic. There will be delays, there will be unforeseen problems. Just have patience, the tech staff on site are definitely finding those kinds of things even more frustrating than you as a viewer will.

=============

What's that? You want to help out? But of course you do! But how? Like this!

So once upon a time there was a donation widget called ChipIn, which GDQ used... until it exploded badly during AGDQ 2013. Resident coder SMK stepped in and wrote an entirely new, standalone donation system, which (with addition development since) is still used to this day (ChipIn closed down shortly after AGDQ 2013, to the surprise of nobody).

To donate, you head on over to the Summer Games Done Quick 2018 donation page. Here, you'll be able to make your donation and leave a comment with it, as well as see what prizes you'll be eligible for by donating at the time, which I'll get to in a moment. If you make a good enough comment, it might get read out by a host on stream - during the early marathons, all comments save for those that were rejected for other reasons were read out, but these days there are so many donations that it's not even remotely possible. So there's a filtering system for comments in place - any donation of less than a dollar will be automatically filtered out, and anything containing insulting language or memes or other kind of spam will most certainly be manually filtered out in the screening process. To maximize your success in having your comment read out, don't make it too long, be creative and/or funny, have it be especially relevant to the current run/runner, or a personal story relating to the cause. There'll also be a scrolling ticker for some donation comments that weren't read out on the main page.

Anyway, let's get to the-

Prizes?

...yes, prizes. Thank you, Sent.

If contributing to the charity isn't enough to make you open your wallet, then there are two other reasons, the first being donation incentives. When you make your donation, you can have your money go towards one of the many donation incentives or bid wars that are available for several different games. These range from simply naming characters in games with, well, nameable characters, to playing different modes or extra stages/challenges in certain games, to maybe even choosing which game will be played or having a bonus game be played. Of course, you can find all of these things you can let your money work for on the tracker.

And then there's the prizes. Of course there is also a prize index on the tracker where you can see what's available. How that works is that there's a minimum bid for all prizes, and a period during which the prize is available. So if you make a donation of at least the minimum amount specified during that period, you will be entered into the raffle for winning the prize, to be drawn after the event is over. Most prizes have a buy-in of five dollars, and the donation page will tell you what prizes you can make yourself eligible for and how much you need to donate for them. Since Sent isn't here to tell us about them, I'll take it upon me to show you the prizes? like:

Spyro plushie because you need something to hug!

Chaos Emeralds because you want to be Super Sonic!

Holograpic Metroid print because just look at that thing!

Batman Forever Comics display because you're a nerd!

Mega Man Mega Buster replica because Dr. Wily must be stopped!

Final Fantasy VI perlers because something about espers!

And a Missingno. plushie b̨e̕c҉a͘u͟se͟ y͘ou g͘͢ơ͢t̨͡t͜a҉͟ c̶a̴t͘҉c̸͏h͘ '̶͢͏ȩ͟m̶̨͢͡ ̸a̶ļl̡!͏̷͢

=============

I'm sure there's more questions you might have - so here's some of the more common ones!

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's... not any single good answer to this question. Read the schedule, and find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. We're going to try to keep a running list of recommendations in the second post as the marathon progresses.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: Super Metroid?
A: Don't worry. After AGDQ 2018 became the first GDQ event to not feature Super Metroid, it's back for SGDQ. But not as the penultimate game, it's on Tuesday/Wednesday, depending on your time zone. And no, there's no A Link to the Past Randomizer race on the schedule this time around.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible. But if you still think this is the case, make sure that you watch the pre-show and/or the intermissions. You'll see what I mean.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: SGDQ 2018 occurs at the DoubleTree Hilton hotel in Bloomington, Minneapolis.

=============

As a final word, do remember what's important and why we're here - the speedruns and the speedrun chat. Please don't take this as an opportunity to bring up drama, especially not drama from GDQs past. Of course, this is a thread for SGDQ 2018, so talking about things that happen at SGDQ 2018 is perfectly fine - just don't let minor incidents be blown up into major shitstorms that they really aren't. Be very wary about unverified pastebins, Reddit claims, and Twitter storms. Above all, be respectful towards the runners, commentators, and all the GDQ stuff that puts in so much time and effort to put on this event for you - it may be for charity, but it's also for the viewers. Without an audience, there wouldn't be any SGDQ to enjoy.

Should you still have any questions, about the event, the organization, or something else relating to Games Done Quick - simply ask! There are a couple of goons that are directly involved with the event, some part of the staff, a few more simply attending as runners or general audience, and many other goons that are to various degrees involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's a lot of us here who would be happy to answer any questions you might have, either in the thread or in the aforementioned goon chats, and do also remember that we have a general speedrunning thread to check out!

Let's enjoy another marathon together!

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RUN RECOMMENDATIONS
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse race by tinahacks and JTNoriMaki
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos by CovertMuffin
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D by gymnast86
Resident Evil 4 by JTB
Kid Kool by Smartball - Fast, fun, good commentary. Also Brossentia.
Super Smash TV co-op by brisulph and JackimusWedge
Dustforce DX race by fishmcmuffins and Freshmaniac - A good and close race of a precision platformer.
F.E.A.R. by Maxylobes - Wholesome and chill. Crazy skips. Good couch.
Sonic 3 and Knuckles by mike89
Super Metroid by oatsngoats
Super Monkey Ball 2 by Yutori
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures by Zmaster91
Super Mario 3D Land by zeldacubed1
Cuphead by TheMexicanRunner
A Hat in Time race by flarebear and ConnorAce - Easy to follow indie game with really good commentary.
Celeste race by TGH and yoshipro - Capping off a trio of entertaining indies.
The entire silly games block by people because picking the gems out of that is impossible (from Pepsiman to Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures).
Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided by Heinki
Super Mario Bros. 3 race by mitchflowerpower and grandpoobear - For reasons that shall not be spoiled.
Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel! co-op by Shockwve and Amyrlinn
Bionic Commando by MURPHAGATOR!
Catherine by Ghoul02 - One player, two controllers, on-the-fly routing.
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 by PJ - A run so hype it broke the donation reader's layout.
Super Mario 64 race by Puncayshun and cheese05 - Fantastic race with great commentary.
Wind Waker HD by Linkus7 - Commentary and execution on point. Some issues at the start and end, but great in between.
Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith by ysalamiri
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by Indy
Hob by halfcoordinated
Super Mario Maker race by Carl Sagan, grandpoobear, GlitchCat7, failstream, jaku and Cliffy
Super Mario Odyssey by NicroVeda
...and of course, the TAS block. Always a no-brainer, that one.

Also, the SGDQ 2018 fanart archive, courtesy of the chat thread.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 2, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So what are the runs folks are most hyped for this year?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should have stepped up their game and had the LTTP/Super Metroid crossover randomizer as an event this time

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

They should have stepped up their game and had the LTTP/Super Metroid crossover randomizer as an event this time

AGDQ 2019, no doubt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i seem to remember not really getting what was going on in the lttp randomizer, like they were throwing terms out without saying what it meant and stuff

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We have a goon GDQ discord also: https://discord.gg/qq9VAaN

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i seem to remember not really getting what was going on in the lttp randomizer, like they were throwing terms out without saying what it meant and stuff

If I remember right, most of it was, "Well, if they find X, they'll be that much closer to go time."

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

This time they are doing OoT Bingo. Basically the predecessor to all this rando stuff. Basically, a bingo card is generated using various item/event goals, like getting so many hearts or beating certain dungeons, and the runner has to...make bingo. Here's a link to the card generator: http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Roluth posted:

This time they are doing OoT Bingo. Basically the predecessor to all this rando stuff. Basically, a bingo card is generated using various item/event goals, like getting so many hearts or beating certain dungeons, and the runner has to...make bingo. Here's a link to the card generator: http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

Oh! I love that!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Teddybear posted:

Pet the pup at the party.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

Easily A Hat in Time because that game blew me away. It's cute as heck!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Your Computer posted:

Easily A Hat in Time because that game blew me away. It's cute as heck!

I'm sick of this baby cartoon bullshit, also when is Sonic block

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Does anyone know if twitch subs go to the donation total? I got a little excited and used my free sub just now, but i wanted that money to go to sgdq. I'm planning on donating more anyways, but every dollar counts and whatnot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh I had no idea this was starting already.

I guess I'll watch it since I've watched it every other year since I found out about it. Good background noise while I'm drawing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Argona posted:

Does anyone know if twitch subs go to the donation total? I got a little excited and used my free sub just now, but i wanted that money to go to sgdq. I'm planning on donating more anyways, but every dollar counts and whatnot.

I believe it does. If you're using a free sub then go right ahead, but to anyone considering spending actual money on a twitch sub to donate to GDQ, keep in mind that not all that money goes to them, Twitch gets a cut too.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Of interest to me so far:

Halfcoordinated is running Hob on Saturday morning.
Cuphead is making its GDQ premier late Wednesday.
There's a Turbographix 16 miniblock Tuesday (Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse 1) followed by Genesis Splatterhouse 2.

NESCardinality has been running seeds for Dragon Warrior randomizer races, which sounds like an awfully GDQ thing to happen, but it's not currently on the schedule, so if that gets added as an incentive, I'll be all over that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I Greyhound posted:

Of interest to me so far:

Halfcoordinated is running Hob on Saturday morning.
Cuphead is making its GDQ premier late Wednesday.
There's a Turbographix 16 miniblock Tuesday (Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse 1) followed by Genesis Splatterhouse 2.

NESCardinality has been running seeds for Dragon Warrior randomizer races, which sounds like an awfully GDQ thing to happen, but it's not currently on the schedule, so if that gets added as an incentive, I'll be all over that.

Isn't Dragon Warrior a bit long to race without RNG manipulation?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Looking at the actual times of the runs, not for a good seed, but probably too variable to dedicate a block for. From last night one of the two runs was 70 minutes, the other was 130 minutes.

I didn't see anything specific saying it was a possibility, I've not actually been able to find a donation incentives page yet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I Greyhound posted:

Looking at the actual times of the runs, not for a good seed, but probably too variable to dedicate a block for. From last night one of the two runs was 70 minutes, the other was 130 minutes.

I didn't see anything specific saying it was a possibility, I've not actually been able to find a donation incentives page yet.

That can't be right. The any% no rng manipulation world record is over 5 hours.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I Greyhound posted:

There's supposed to be one on the tracker here... but it's kind of, uh, unfinished at the moment.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

KennyMan666 posted:

There's supposed to be one on the tracker here... but it's kind of, uh, unfinished at the moment.

Little bit

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ahh, another week of losing myself in my PC and getting almost no work done. :allears: I swear I'll go to one of these someday!

I always try to make a "games I'm hype to watch" list and then end up putting down like half the marathon. But I am definitely excited to see a Zero Mission race, OoT Bingo, and of course another great TASBot block.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

KennyMan666 posted:

All the bids are entered but they're currently not visible, I'll see if I can figure out a way to get around this (there's a reason they're not completely open, but being completely unseeable isn't the best maybe).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so serious

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll be missing most of tomorrow, but it's not for naught. I'll be watching speed... y cars.

(I'm going to be at an IndyCar race)

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Hey all, I'm currently in the process of rewriting the tech behind GDQVODs to make it a whole lot easier and quicker to update (right now it takes hours to get an update out and I don't want to touch the code with a 10 foot pole). It will start out exactly the same but I'm planning to roll out some updates such as a playlist soon so now is a good time to hit me up with any suggestions for what you'd like to see on the site.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Steve Holt! posted:

Hey all, I'm currently in the process of rewriting the tech behind GDQVODs to make it a whole lot easier and quicker to update (right now it takes hours to get an update out and I don't want to touch the code with a 10 foot pole). It will start out exactly the same but I'm planning to roll out some updates such as a playlist soon so now is a good time to hit me up with any suggestions for what you'd like to see on the site.

Definitely AGDQ 2018's Awful Block, from Superman 64 through Dog's Life.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

The Lobster posted:

Definitely AGDQ 2018's Awful Block, from Superman 64 through Dog's Life.

I mean like new features. All the VODs will always be there. I even made a special category for Awful Games Done Quick!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Steve Holt! posted:

I mean like new features. All the VODs will always be there. I even made a special category for Awful Games Done Quick!

Ah! How about a category for randomized games like the Lttp rando race and this year's OoT Bingo?

Edit: And Singing! "It's that star song! That Funky Star Song!"

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 24, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna need the recommendations updated from you guys since I won't be able to watch as much live due to work and other commitments.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Teddybear posted:

I'm curious to see what a Circle of the Moon All Bosses run looks like.

Also, Animaniacs because I never managed to beat it as a child and want to live out my revenge fantasies vicariously through the runner.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I too could never get past the first couple levels of animaniacs as a child so it will be interesting to see what actually happens in that game. I'm also curious to see what a live Getting Over It run looks like. I've seen the record runs but i'm more interested in seeing how consistent it is.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Animaniacs SNES is great, but I have no idea how I 100%'d it as a kid.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

20 minutes to go, get ready speedy bois

I have also asked a mod about getting both of the threads stickied for the duration of the marathon as usual so hopefully they'll be on permanent display soon.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:mario: :siren: WE ARE LIVE :siren: :mario:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That preshow was amazing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I believe we were told to post great images in this thread, so here we go:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 25, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gotta say, the UI is extra-slick this time around. The transitions are on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Coming back to say that this is one of my favorite GDQs game-lineup wise, but the merchandise leaves a lot to be desired. Too much focus on FFVI and not enough Metroid.... sigh.... Really pumped to watch this though. I’ll see you guys during Kirby, Pikmin, the Metroid block, and Paper Mario!

• Locked thread