Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Signing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I am hoping to open my PMs soon and see: dick.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Dancer posted:

I mean... I could help you with that.

Moat actually did it, he sent me a picture of a crooked one.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

I didn't get my dick PM, I am town.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Would real mafiosos follow the mods rule and agree to his unvoting terms or would they break the law??? Hmm lots of suspecious dudes in here.

Of course I only did it because I'm secure enough in my mafianess that I can do whatever I want DAD.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Who wants to get in on some scorpion fighting from that picture in the OP? The fuzz won't keep us from gambling. Let's alleviate the boredom of D1 and play a content game:

1. Challenge a player you think is scum and vote for them.
2. Name your critter. Must be pronounceable in english, A-Z letters only. You can also tell us what kind of critter it is for flavor but only the name MATTERS.
3. Make a wager. Everyone has $100. Min bet $10, max $50.
4. The person you challenged must accept and name their own critter. If they have less $$$ than you wagered, the wager will be adjusted to their all-in. They don't have to omgus vote you back unless they want to.

I have a deterministic way of calculating critter power based on their names. If a critter has much more power than the other, they will win and kill it. The dead critter can't be used anymore. Fortunately there are lots of scorpions in Rossetia so losers can just pick new critters for future fights. If the power level is close, the loser will not die and can be used again.

Whoever has the most $$$ from playing my stupid game at the end of the game day will earn something cool! It may or may not be part of this game.

Example:

winvirus challenges Lumpen to fight his scorpion "Nancy" and wagers $20. He votes him.
Lumpen accepts and sends "Banker" into the fighting pit.
I announce that Banker has killed Nancy! Lumpen has $120, winvirus has $80.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also since I can't play in my own game I will ##vote flerp

Also an addendum to my rules is that any player that has a live critter will auto accept challenges.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I mean really I think slam looks worse, but if he's too chicken to toss his own scorp in

Its not that I don't want to play, its just that I made up the rules for how things win or lose so I could pick a name with extremely high power and basically control the outcome. But I'll pick a name from a random RPG namegen and let's see what happens!

I accept your challenge and bring the spider "Kakruul" to the pits:

Kakruul has defeated Longshoes!

AA has $70

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

IcePhoenix: Mr. Fluffums
Moat: Caleb

Wager: $50 (set by challenger)

Mr. Fluffums kills Caleb!

IP has $150
Moat has $50

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

AA: Longshoes

Wager: $20

Mr. Fluffums narrowly defeats Longshoes!

IP has $170
AA has $50

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also, you can replace your critter even if it hasn't died. No need to stick with a loser.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Rigging games would be the most mafioso thing I could do! But no, they are honest (that's not a scumclaim haha)

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also I don't like that flerp doesn't want to participate after being challenged by other people.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

AA: Mrs. Rockems

Wager: $50

Mrs. Rockems narrowly defeats Mr. Fluffums!

AA has $100
IP has $120

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

Youre forgetting something. Lol this should count as a forfeit can I get a ruling

I think he's telling you to f off, not that he wants to scorpion fight you.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Unless "bicht" (sic) is the name of his scorpion.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Natasza (GeneX): Precious
Magdalena (TNL): Alkham

Wager: $30

The two scorpions circle each other. Precious is a much larger arachnid, and it wiggles its large black pincers as it sidesteps around Alkham. The smaller one hardly moves as it rotates in place tracking its foe. Then suddenly, Precious lashes out with its stinger. Alkham moves imperceptibly, but its slim body is no longer where the stinger was aimed as it nicks the dirt floor. Precious adjusts itself as it prepares for a second strike but then shivers and falls over dead! Did anyone even see Alkham strike?

Perhaps Magdalenda knew more than she was letting on when choosing her scorpion...

GeneX has $70
TNL has $130

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Updates from the fighting pits!

b-minus challenges IcePhoenix for $50 (max bet): Zane loses to Mr Fluffums

AA challenges Anpu for $40: Mrs Rockems loses to Khepri

IS challenges TNL for $40: Elalix loses to Alkham

Genex challenges AS for $35: Prudence loses to Parisa narrowly

All losers have survived.

Balances for those involved:

AA: $60
Anpu: $140
AS: $135
bminus: $50
GeneX: $35
IcePhoenix: $170
IS: $60
TNL: $170

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I've been trying to use the mini-game to get some light reads on people. I didn't want to spill the beans too early on things I was looking for, but I think its fine to start moving towards mafia'ing now:

The two behaviors I was looking for were passive play, and also a turnaround for people that initially didn't want to play but then did anyways, which would indicate cautiousness then bandwagoning to fit in and produce empty content. Nobody fell into the second camp, so there's nobody to finger there, but there were two passive players:

Anpu:

Anpu posted:

Anpu rifles through his multiple pouches and produces a large Scarab Beetle, copper in colour, placing it into the arena.

“Who would wager their scorpion against this harmless beetle? A sure bet, surely. It does not even have a sting, after all...”

He taps the scarab Khepri with the edge of his dagger and it begins to circle and scan the area in a rhythmic staccato.

Accepting all comers!

He posts that he's accepting challenges instead of challenging someone else. This is passive play that was one of the things I was looking for since I think its scummy.

Atomic Soda is the other passive player. She makes a number of flavor posts and kind of introduces that she has a critter name but she never challenges someone. She's also RP'ing her content which is a null tell on D1, but its hard to parse.

Of the two, I think AS is worse

##unvote
##vote Atomic Soda

Regarding the people that were early adopters I think its a null tell maybe slightly town.
The people that adamantly didn't want to play are no fun but I don't think its scummy. Ok, maybe a little scummy for not wanting to have fun you GRINCHES.

I understand the point Max is making but I don't agree with it since MMT hasn't posted anything. There's just too many explanations for not posting at all to tie it to a scum tell about not wanting to weigh in on the game. Its pretty low commitment for scum to say something. I think MMT just wasn't around.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also this Moat post felt a little fake:

Moatillata posted:

I am suspicious of this content game

Also you cling to me like a life preserver

HOWEVER

I am a good sport and send my beautiful boy Caleb into battle against you

Specifically the "suspicious" part seems like a waffle.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Scorpion Fight!

IcePhoenix challenges GenX for $35: Mr Fluffums loses to Prudence but survives.

GeneX: $70
IcePhoenix: $135

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Using your own mini-game as a mechanical test for alignment based on subjective behaviors is really bad. If this is the premise, you spent most of this test description talking about the latter behavior, and you admit no one falls into that category, but without explanation of what passive play would indicate you call out two players.

AA its hard for me to parse what your criticism means but the reason "passive play" is a (mild) scum tell for me is this:

A condition of my content game is that people need to challenge other players. I directed people to pick someone they thought was scum although I realize the weight of this suggestion kind of fell away as people got more engaged with the minigame and just wanted to battle people, which I understand.

So people that want to participate in my minigame but don't want to commit to telling us (the thread) who they want to challenge is cautious play and its scummy. If they just say "hey challenge me!" thats scummy. That's the behavior I was looking for.

Its not supposed to be some TRAP SPRUNG thing, but I do believe there are some tea leaves to be read that can be indicative of alignment. Same as any other D1 posts about nonsense.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I get that in theory, but you can't have sincerely wanted people to vote whom they thought was scum because its d1 and that was fairly early on.

I didn't tell people to post some detailed case, I just asked them to vote. Yes its D1 these votes wouldn't matter. But its an opinion, its to get them on the record. Its also a very low barrier to entry. Being hesitant to do this is a scum tell. Period. I'm not trying to solve the game based on how people played my mini game. My primary goal was to add something fun into otherwise boring D1 play. If I feel I can extract some light reads, great, which is what I'm trying to do. Tto throw your hands in the air and be like "there's no possible information to be gained from this at all! what a waste of time!" is a Bad Opinion.

Atomic Soda posted:

you are essentially saying that if people didn't pick people they thought were scum in the way you wanted, then you found that scummy.

I'm saying I wanted people to vote for someone in order to play my game. People such as yourself that passively indicated interest in playing without voting for someone are scummy, yes, thats my argument.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Scorpion Fight!

TNL challenges IcePhoenix for $50: Alkham kills Mr Fluffums

Alkham is now 3-0 (2 kills)

TNL: $220
IcePhoenix: $85

Also, :siren: rule change for future fights: Auto-accept is only in effect for critters that won their last fight. If you challenge a player who lost last, they can choose a a new critter (if they want) before accepting your challenge.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Scorpion Fight!

AA challenges TNL for $30: Mrs Rockems has been killed by Alkham

Alkham is now 4-0 (3 kills)

TNL: $250
IcePhoenix: $30

(Since Mrs Rockems defeated Mr Fluffums without killing him, but Alkham killed Mr Fluffums, it could have been deduced that Alkham was at least stronger than Mrs Rockems)

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Would you might extracting your Anpu case from your RP and giving me the bullet point version? You think his questions were just buddying and didn't advance anything?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Slamburger posted:

Would you might extracting your Anpu case

Mafia edit: would you mind extracting your Anpu case

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Finally a fight that lives up to the flavor image: Snake vs Scorpion:

AA challenges TNL for $30: Badian defeats Alkham

The champion has fallen but survives!

Badian is 1-0

TNL: $220
AA: $60

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Why did I lose money from this second fight that I wasn't in

Sorry that was just a copy/paste mistake. Your current balance is $85

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Monathin posted:

I think Anpu is trying to generate heat on Max in a way that isn't justifiable.

I agree with this, in that I disagree with Max's MMT case but I don't think it was a bad-faith case. Anpu makes the latter argument, which is indeed scummy.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

Slam, considering you came up with this game for everyone else to play that you initially said you wouldn't play yourself (and then relented and played anyway), can't it be argued that you did exactly the two things you said you were looking for as scummy in others?

Ehhhhh not really in the way I was describing them as scummy but if you want to call me scum for running the game you're entitled to that opinion but please don't for either of the reasons I gave about others since I don't think they apply at all. Passive play was specifically asking for others to challenge them. The whole point of a not-playing then playing thing would have been a scum tell if it occurred like over some period of time after others were playing and scum would feel uncomfortable not participating if a lot of other people were. Again, nobody even fit this pattern so its totally moot but that was what my thought process was.

And again, I did not run this game as a scum hunting tool, or even have my two scum indicators in mind when I started the game. I just wanted to cut through the boredom of D1 and that cool flavor picture made me want to do something. It was only after I starting thinking a little more about it as people were playing that those two scenarios emerged in my mind of things that might be scummy and then I looked back through the play histories at that point to see if anyone fit the bill.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I see the contradiction you're trying to imply there but the correct context is: I didn't start the game with the intention of using it that way but then as it was running I began trying to use it that way, which occurred like an hour before I made that post. Basically I wanted to see if I could gain any game value out of it instead of it just being something fun. I posted a couple light reads and that was it. There's nothing more to it than that but if you want to squeeze some blood from a stone on my secret motives, give me a break.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

The ones who haven’t been posting much over the last few pages, which IMO looks like a typical d1 town slapfight

I agree that I generally feel OK about the people that have been posting a lot recently. I think Anpu is the scummiest, but he at least posted a full Lumpen of middling reads and at this stage of the game I'll give people the benefit of the doubt if they are active (although "slamburger at this point is at best an opportunist and a coward" is rude af). On the same token I do think Max is a little too aggressive but again that's totally fine because it advances the game so I won't put a D1 vote on him.

The absent lurkers like Dancer and flerp are concerning but that's usually a null tell at this point. I'm most suspicious of the people that were active during the scorpion game but then haven't been present much over the last ~24 hours since the real discussion got going:

IcePhoenix put a vote on TNL based on a post he didn't like.
GeneX voted IcePhoenix, also for a post.
IS made a defensive post responding to others that had a bunch of non-reads other than saying he's suspicious of me cause he thinks I was doing the same thing that I called others out for which I already thought was quite a stretch.

All five of the above people need to post some more detailed reads and get in the game. Of the latter three I think IllegallySober is the scummiest. I really don't like when people say they have no reads cause they are "catching up" and then never post any reads. (17 hours ago).

##unvote
##vote IllegallySober

Post some interesting thoughts and change my mind.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I've posted above. Right now, though, I think the better vote is Anpu because of that weird "I'm town" post as well as his mysterious reveal one.

I disagree obviously on the minigame analysis and the analogues drawn to it, and as for the rest of the content in your post, I do agree with things like the callout of AA, but I'm not clear where you stand on some of the other players you reference. For example, on AS you reference her twice, first to disagree with her and then later to defend her style of posting as typical / null read to rebuff Anpu but I would expect some sort of alignment call here beyond null. Also what's your position on bminus? Do you think its scummy that he's making so many town calls at this phase of the game or are you just asking him because you want him to convince you?

I will ##unvote since it was mostly a pressure vote but I'd like to see more in the way of reads on the people you are referencing instead of just agree/disagree with specific posts.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Anpu posted:

I don’t know Max well at all, can I get a show of hands of people here who think he’s likely town?

I lean town on Max.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'm caught up on Day 2 now, sorry for my absence its been a busy weekend. Here are my reads:

Top choice: Moat
Gave us basically one post of reads here and then totally checked out.

The beet vote is really lazy. Beet straight up said he hadn't read the game yet and Moat votes him for getting bogged down in the bus driver discussion. Then when Beet does post some (reasonable) reads upon catching up, Moat doesn't follow up or comment on them at all. Its just a bunch of snipey no-content posts. Moat is not at all concerned about finding scum. Moat is scum.

##vote Moat

Other people I'm currently suspicious of:

Atomic Soda: A lot of her posts on D1 were very defensive and while she was poking people and asking questions, at this point I'm like to see some analysis and reads. Based on my limited meta understanding of the couple games I've played with her recently, I would expect more specific reads from her here if she were town.

IcePhoenix: Scum lurker. Calling this one now, so I can quote it later once he flips and I look super smart.

flerp: Same boat as moat (does it float?): gave us one post of reads on D1 and now isn't doing anything. His foray into the busdriver discussion reads much scummier to me than Beet. He's made a handful of posts on D2 and none have done anything to advance the game.

Finally a note on Anpu: I honestly just can't decide where I stand on this guy. I kind of flip back and forth on whether he's scum like I'm listening to the Serial podcast. If I have time tonight I'd like to re-read him again and try and make a stand on what I think about him but I may not have time to do that! I say that fully realizing that if I don't follow up on this and we lynch him and he flips scum, this post will look really bad. Such is mafia.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Anpu posted:

I am voting for Beetphyxious, what an odd thing to say.

The super annoying play style of:

"The guy I'm voting for is confirmed scum because I'm voting for him"

plus

Beetphyxious posted:

this assumption than anyone implying you're not town is wrong, scummy and we should take this at face value.

is not winning any arguments for you.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I wasn't even aware that was the "standard" definition of weak role. I put a Weak Tracker in Heat mafia who saw if their target visited a person but not who it was.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Looks like the deadline got extended.

Also, I've finished my re-read of Apnu to try and figure out what makes that guy tick and my conclusion is: no dick.

Ergo,

##unvote
##vote Beetphyxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Nah, b-minus is town

• Locked thread