Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Biostrip 20 has rarely failed me so far, and when it has it's because I used it on resin and it melted the resin after removing the paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

NinjaDebugger posted:

The 99% IPA I've been using for another several mechs has done not nearly as well.

I find IPA works better if you warm it up to about 107F/42C. It warms the plastic/paint and will usually strip it right off (an Ultrasonic cleaner helps, both for stripping and temperature control). At the very least, it should weaken the outer paint layers enough to make other strippers work better.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The introductory fight I like to run people through is giving them a Phoenix Hawk and a Valkyrie against my Victor with some pre-existing right side damage. Hit on firing arc, range mismatches and using teamwork to take down a mech bigger than you.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I find IPA works better if you warm it up to about 107F/42C. It warms the plastic/paint and will usually strip it right off (an Ultrasonic cleaner helps, both for stripping and temperature control). At the very least, it should weaken the outer paint layers enough to make other strippers work better.

If these don't respond to the latest simple green, there will be an ultrasonic cleaner after I finish moving to Saint Louis.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I got all those Humble Bundle books, and I'm making my way through the Founding of the Clans trilogy because you have to start somewhere and it's not going to be these fourteen unread BLP books that I've been sitting on since the last bundle. I gotta say, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but nothing makes it more clear that these weren't the copies of the books that made it to print(at least, I hope not) than the weird little errors I keep coming across. Dates change, moving back and forth years in the interlude chapters, and I guess Randall had the invasion era on the brain because he keeps slipping between Franklin and Lincoln Osis even in the same passage, sometimes in the same paragraph. There's also a bunch of little vignettes of the various clans fighting, which is cool, except everyone who swears gets exactly one swear, and they just add more inflection on it by the third or fourth time they say it. None of it's major, but it just reminds me that there's got to be a more polished version of these out there somewhere.

Still better than finding a straight up homophobic slur in Hearts of Chaos, but it would be nice if these e-books could get another editing pass.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Muffinlord posted:

Still better than finding a straight up homophobic slur in Hearts of Chaos, but it would be nice if these e-books could get another editing pass.

Thanks for the warning! Which slur is it? (Feel free to censor, like if it's "spoon" you can just say "s****" or something.) I'll edit it out of my own copy just to save myself the unpleasant surprise.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Tequila Bob posted:

Thanks for the warning! Which slur is it? (Feel free to censor, like if it's "spoon" you can just say "s****" or something.) I'll edit it out of my own copy just to save myself the unpleasant surprise.

You might also recognize it as a term for a bundle of sticks, or a cigarette in some regions.

I did bring that to CGL's attention via John Helfers himself(their Editor in Chief), so it might actually be fixed on the new bundle. I'll admit I haven't checked, but I got the book from the 2023 bundle, so it was definitely there then.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Muffinlord posted:

You might also recognize it as a term for a bundle of sticks, or a cigarette in some regions.

I did bring that to CGL's attention via John Helfers himself(their Editor in Chief), so it might actually be fixed on the new bundle. I'll admit I haven't checked, but I got the book from the 2023 bundle, so it was definitely there then.

I'll give my copy a search after work and see if it's still there. Thanks!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
It's still there. Close to the end of chapter 18. Good thing I know how to edit ePub files.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I played MegaMek for the first time and had an absolute blast. We did a 3025 intro game at 2000 bv which was (of course) completely dependent on a couple random SRM TACs. I let one of the new players bring inferno and precision AC ammo and was shocked by how good they were - a Commando with infernos is a huge pain in the rear end. The other player really loves tanks so we let her bring a Manticore but it got tracked pretty early and she ended up stuck playing voyeur in an immobile disarmed tank while my two lights with only SRMs left tried to kill a Hunchback with two engine crits.

They liked it so much we did a second game at 3000 bv with unrestricted tech. Tank Girl brought a Demolisher, a Schreck and a Sniper that turned out to be good for nothing. The other new player brought an Awesome and a Locust stuffed with infernos. I brought an Eyrie with an upgraded pilot and a couple points of Elementals, figuring a 45 ton list would underperform its BV. Unfortunately partial wings are completely cracked and turned out to be the Battletech version of a Magic permission deck in a wooded map - “you don’t get to interact with the game unless I say okay.” They teamed up on me but it didn’t really help and although we all found it pretty hilarious I probably won’t be bringing any more 7 jumpers, at least not unless we have an objective to prevent slow play. I didn’t even remember to load HE ATMs.

With mechs like the Jade Phoenix how did the Falcons ever manage to lose?

I can really see the use case for the house rule (advanced rule?) that active probes can reduce the Woods bonus by 1. I think that’d give them a good niche.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Battletech...is good???

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're gonna bring a tank to a mech fight it better have long range weapons and a turret. Like an Alacorn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Snipers look fun because of how much damage a round does, but they are not units you really want to have in ERPPC range of the enemy. If the flight time isn't making it awkward to land direct hits then your artillery is in danger.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

General Battuta posted:

I played MegaMek for the first time and had an absolute blast. We did a 3025 intro game at 2000 bv which was (of course) completely dependent on a couple random SRM TACs. I let one of the new players bring inferno and precision AC ammo and was shocked by how good they were - a Commando with infernos is a huge pain in the rear end. The other player really loves tanks so we let her bring a Manticore but it got tracked pretty early and she ended up stuck playing voyeur in an immobile disarmed tank while my two lights with only SRMs left tried to kill a Hunchback with two engine crits.

They liked it so much we did a second game at 3000 bv with unrestricted tech. Tank Girl brought a Demolisher, a Schreck and a Sniper that turned out to be good for nothing. The other new player brought an Awesome and a Locust stuffed with infernos. I brought an Eyrie with an upgraded pilot and a couple points of Elementals, figuring a 45 ton list would underperform its BV. Unfortunately partial wings are completely cracked and turned out to be the Battletech version of a Magic permission deck in a wooded map - “you don’t get to interact with the game unless I say okay.” They teamed up on me but it didn’t really help and although we all found it pretty hilarious I probably won’t be bringing any more 7 jumpers, at least not unless we have an objective to prevent slow play. I didn’t even remember to load HE ATMs.

With mechs like the Jade Phoenix how did the Falcons ever manage to lose?

I can really see the use case for the house rule (advanced rule?) that active probes can reduce the Woods bonus by 1. I think that’d give them a good niche.

Tank girl might want to try laser-guided rounds, either Arrow IVs or Copperheads for artillery. That plus a few cheap scouts with TAG can get some work done and also keep the expensive stuff out of the fray.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Battletech...is good???

Report is in - this is likely

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

raverrn posted:

Tank girl might want to try laser-guided rounds, either Arrow IVs or Copperheads for artillery. That plus a few cheap scouts with TAG can get some work done and also keep the expensive stuff out of the fray.

She actually did bring Copperheads but didn't bring any TAGs because she didn't know the rules. Definitely on the menu for next time. I told her to invest in some VTOLs

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

We're doing 30k per team today :shepface:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Megamek will make that go pretty fast TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah it was manageable, we had a good time though we had to save and break for the day. Tank Girl brought a bunch of Ontos, Demolishers and Mars with TAG hovercraft and VTOLs and a train of Arrow 4 assault vehicles and a Destrier/Ballista (lol). Other new player brought Mad Cats, Hellstars and Riflemens IIC out of a deep love of cheese I guess (I think she is gonna win).

I brought a single Level I of Celestials with all the Manei Domini trimmings, which is a comical amount of BV for six mechs. Probably the funniest part so far was my Deva getting TAGged by a J Edgar and then decapitated by an Arrow IV :commissar:

The Blakist C3/VDNI bullshit generates some absurdly low to-hit numbers but the Celestials don’t seem to bring enough guns on their default configurations to really take advantage of it. I’m definitely wanting more snipers. Doesn’t help that in a fit of forest PTSD they asked to play on a barren moonscape!