Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I stopped reading the books and following the meta plot around the end of the FedCom civil war / before Dark Ages

Did the Chaos Thumb (???) become the Republic of the Sphere?

What happened to Clan Diamond Shark and more importantly the signature mech the Piranha!

Can someone explain Clan Jade Wolf? Was it a joke that I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yes.. the chaos reach was the basis of the republic of the sphere.

Clan diamond shark moved to the inner sphere and changed their name back to sea fox. They're now part of the clan protectorate.. nomunally they are house Marik but they trade with everyone.

At the end of the refusal war.. the Jade falcons tried to absorb the rest of the wolf clan after killing Ulric Kerensky by means of ambush. Considering the Jade Falcons had acted to "restore Kerensky's vision, this was a major no-no)

Since Vlad (who was Ulric's second in command) was found to be alive, he blackmailed Elias Crichell with releasing the holovid of the ambush. Caught between a rock and a hard place (they really needed the strength of the Wolves as the Jade Falcons had been severely wounded, but if the information got out about the ambush, then there was no way that Crichell would be ilKhan and resume the invasion of the innersphere.

So, he tried to give up something but still declare the Wolves were gone, creating Clan Jade Wolf and assigning the former Wolves to it. Figuring, hey we can figure out how to deal with these idiots later once war has resumed.

Except that pissed off Vlad more than anything, so when Crichell was elected ilKhan, Vlad (who was attending to the Grand Council) challenged Crichell to a Trial of Refusal, (stating that he was more politician then Warrior), and then killed him bare handed in a circle of equals. Vlad then turned to the other Khans and said "We're Clan Wolf again. Want to contest it? We'll kick your rear end as well"

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Yes.. the chaos reach was the basis of the republic of the sphere.

The Chaos March, yeah. Though, there were also a bunch of worlds from the Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, and Draconis Combine that were never part of the Chaos March and were generously donated to the nascent Republic, mostly because the planets in question were formerly occupied by the Word of Blake, badly damaged during occupation and subsequent liberation, and they really weren't interested in paying the cost of reconstruction. The Capellans and the splintered Free Worlds League also had their words "volunteered" to the Republic even though neither of them wanted that and were more than happy to rebuild their own crap, thank you very much.

All of this caused considerable problems when the Blackout happened, the FWL and Capellans were still angry about worlds taken by a state they didn't consider legitimate, and even the former backers of the Republic saw how nice and shiny their former territories were looking again after about eighty years of painful reconstruction, and decided now was a good time to walk back on a few treaties.

SirFozzie posted:

Clan diamond shark moved to the inner sphere and changed their name back to sea fox. They're now part of the clan protectorate.. nomunally they are house Marik but they trade with everyone.

Best Clan.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Signal posted:

There's material there for a new thread title

The new starter set is rumored to be coming out, do we know when, and what scale the models still be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BVjOfmkw98&t=333s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGmYSgUY9w&t=426s

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just finished one of the new ebooks they put out in fiction, Legacy.

300 years of warfare for a Grasshopper, from the original designer to the day it was decommissioned and scrapped.

Even if you don't agree with the timeline past 3025, it's a grand tour through Battletech history, and really kinda reinforces the "Life is Cheap, Mechs aren't", as it goes through 300 years of repairs, battles, getting more repairs, it's like your favorite axe where you've replaced the head twice and the handle three times, but it's still the same axe. Now multiply that by millions of parts.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool! I ordered the paperback. My group right now is struggling with everyone bringing Assaults to every match for a few months now, I wonder if anyone has a good idea for mitigating that.

Also I had a kind of a weird idea: a sort of battle royale but Battletech type scenario? Empty mechs are dropped onto the map before deployment, a semi-random assortment. Players roll 2d6 for X, Y values to determine their starting hex as pilots on foot. Last one standing wins.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Taintrunner posted:

My group right now is struggling with everyone bringing Assaults to every match for a few months now, I wonder if anyone has a good idea for mitigating that.

Weight limit.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Weight limit.

Or BV.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Or a combination if you really want to prevent people from being able to squeeze a cheap heavy or assault into what would otherwise be a light lance.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If they're mercs, remember that dropships charge for tonnage, and also remind them that bigger mechs = more upkeep etcetera.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Or a combination if you really want to prevent people from being able to squeeze a cheap heavy or assault into what would otherwise be a light lance.

Yeah but bringing a charger is something to be lauded, on every occasion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is there any info on an Alpha Strike box? Was that just a fever dream I had?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Frisk posted:

Is there any info on an Alpha Strike box? Was that just a fever dream I had?

It's more or less dead. Can't remember if they made it official or not, but it's not happening.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luckily every plastic model box they make is good for aloha strike!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just want a box with Alpha Strike rules and the plastic robot mans I don't have☹️

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have paint schemes or colors they love or are proud of? I'm doing a painting session this weekend and need a little inspiration.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Frisk posted:

Anybody have paint schemes or colors they love or are proud of? I'm doing a painting session this weekend and need a little inspiration.

I've always tried to do, uh, the 3rd Street Saints, and that gets me pretty far with Royal Purple & Silver, which is not a common color combo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Seeing this thread pop up inspired me to pull my pretty much untouched 25th Anniversary intro set out and start making an attempt to get into this drat game.

My understanding is that after I've gotten to grips with the QuickStart and then Introductory rules that come in the box, picking up BattleMech Manual and TRO: Succession Wars would set me up to play mechs vs mechs combat in 3025 - 3039. Is that right?

What would I need to pick up to then be able to run loose campaign/scenarios for friends to get them into the game?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It depends mostly on how deep you want to go. One of BT's big bonuses is that it's got a LOT of depth in terms of strategic layers - and it's all optional.

So the question's really how in-depth do you want to go?

If you're just looking to run a series of battles, you don't need anything else. Lay out some maps, decide on an opfor and you're good to go.

Campaign Operations is probably the most useful as there's a ton in there about creating, maintaining and supplying a force.

Total Warfare will give you rules to add in other unit types - combat vehicles, infantry, aerospace fighters, and the like.

Tactical Operations is less useful in your case. It's got a lot of advanced optional rules, mostly.

Strategic Operations has good rules for repairs, salvage and mech customization.

Interstellar Operations has rules for using different eras and the abstracted planetary-scale battle system.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Mode 7 posted:

My understanding is that after I've gotten to grips with the QuickStart and then Introductory rules that come in the box, picking up BattleMech Manual and TRO: Succession Wars would set me up to play mechs vs mechs combat in 3025 - 3039. Is that right?

Yes, that's correct. The Manual will actually give you the rules for gear that appears right through to 3145, but Succession Wars is pretty much a 3025ish book.

quote:

What would I need to pick up to then be able to run loose campaign/scenarios for friends to get them into the game?

This is Battletech's great weakness, something I've been trying to encourage the devs to address but with little luck so far. Most scenario books for BT are historicals: you play out specific scenarios that went down at specific points in the universe. Campaign Ops and Strat Ops both have campaign info, though the latter also has a ton of other stuff that's much less useful; it's not concentrated. The best book that's generally available and along the lines of scenario info is probably Total Chaos, which gives a loose but thorough overview of a Jihad-era (3067-3081) campaign, using a heavily abstracted tracking system called Chaos Campaign.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd also like to mention that, especially if you're getting into BT with a group of people who might not have a huge tolerance for fiddly rules, you can dial down the complexity by playing some Alpha Strike.

I would recommend it in general if you want people to play more than a lance in a game, just in the interest of a game not taking hours and hours.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks all.

It looks like Campaign Operations might be where I want to head then. The problem I see with the Total War and Historicals stuff is that it then assumes that I have Total Warfare (and possibly Tactical Operations and Strategic Operations) and want to run combined arms games.

At this stage I’m pretty happy doing a lance a side mechs only so I’ll string some battles together or look at picking up Campaign Operations for a more of an in-depth look at campaign stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alpha strike is super quick and fun. You can find the cards online and just print em off.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Philthy posted:

Got to play Alpha Strike at GenCon and my buddy wiped me off the map. But the rules were slick as hell. We were told it was meant for 50-100 minis per side, and that makes sense and sounds like real fun times. Then we saw the minis ran $15 a pop, even in the "sets". I suppose there has to be a medium point based buy system or something so you're not looking at a $750-1500 investment off the bat.

Fifty to a hundred per side is probably a bit much, but a battalion of 'Mechs and armor (36) will only take like 4-5 hours to play to completion. The events I run at GenCon and Origins are designed to take 30 minutes set-up, 3 hours to play, and 30 minutes of post-battle wrap-up and most of the time we'll have between 16 and 24 units on a side. That's deliberately designed to be able to be played at a leisurely pace instead of a breakneck one, though.

The "ideal" size for a pickup game, if you ask me, is for companies (12) and a two hour commitment.

Who was your Demo Agent at GenCon? I spent probably 20 hours running the Alpha Strike Academy last year. :D

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Any of youse guys going to MechCon?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I got lance packs off NobleKnight for $15 each. (4 mechs in each Lance Pack)

https://www.nobleknight.com/Search?text=Lance+Pack

That will give you a pretty good head start towards having enough for a mega game (I have four packs hanging out on my RPG bookcase shelves right now)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was going to say, you used to be able to find those lance packs for like 10 bucks each, although that limits cheap minis to those + starter set models. Once you start getting into metal minis the price skyrockets, and if I’m doing something that’s not like classic era BT I end up printing tokens.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

3d printing has also blown open your options, a lot of people are printing things from MWO

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You can still get lance packs from CoolStuffInc for $7. I got the whole run for around that price, but about half are sold out now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are the new boxsets going to make it out in time for Christmas?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Unknown, because by then (assuming nothing goes weird with customs) it will be a distributor issue. If it happens, it will be quite close.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just got the new version of Total Warfare with the classic Atlas on the cover and it's great.

Also, 3D-printed Mechs own.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tell me more about 3d-printed mechs, that sounds great.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

There are a couple of people who make 3D-printed minis and models of the MWO "sculpts," which are quite excellent. WarHansa is a Russia-based retailer and there are a few others. WarHansa is pretty solid, but their material seems a bit brittle at times.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like there might be more plastic minis on the way from Catalyst:

Looking like a Longbow, Marauder, Warhammer, Archer, and what I think is a Phoenix Hawk or possibly a Valkyrie (but the Valkyrie doesn't have a right hand).

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Pussy Cartel posted:

Looking like a Longbow, Marauder, Warhammer, Archer, and what I think is a Phoenix Hawk or possibly a Valkyrie (but the Valkyrie doesn't have a right hand).

Griffin and a Wasp, maybe?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gun Jam posted:

Griffin and a Wasp, maybe?

Yeah, the Griffin isn't new, it was in the new Beginner Box. The mech at the front could be a Wasp, though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is that a new Awesome sculpt, or does my paint job just look like poo poo?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Also, you may want to check out: http://warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/robomechs.html

$15 for 1 mech is expensive, but it may fill in some needs for you (I just wish some of them didn't need assembly). And you have to do a little figuring out of what name they're referencing)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Pussy Cartel posted:

Where do I get that mat they are on?