Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Atlas Hugged posted:

If I had to guess, they realized that way more people are likely to buy boxed sets and mech packs over the equivalent of Osprey historical guides to mech wargaming. Which isn't to say that those books don't have an audience (TROs can be a lot of fun to read!), but I know way more people who have gotten into Battletech through the mech packs and have never once touched the fluff. CGL has to be making hand over fist at the moment.

For sure, I read most of the novels and sourcebooks but don't go near the TROs typically, but then I also never play CBT, so TROs outside of fluff are kind of useless for me. Now if they started including AS cards in the TROs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I wish they sold prepainted stuff I am too weak to paint

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I've said before think an unsung part of the resurgence is the shelf appeal of 4 cool looking table ready assembled robots and it gives BT a leg up over games that want to sell you a whole hobby of sprue clippers and super glue you may or may not view as a chore.

I think between the competition for time and attention of both the new generation and the veterans repaints as an option would be just the next iteration of that kind of game-ready presentation. The Orion looks pretty decent.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: ah, forget about it

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I've said before think an unsung part of the resurgence is the shelf appeal of 4 cool looking table ready assembled robots and it gives BT a leg up over games that want to sell you a whole hobby of sprue clippers and super glue you may or may not view as a chore.

I think between the competition for time and attention of both the new generation and the veterans repaints as an option would be just the next iteration of that kind of game-ready presentation. The Orion looks pretty decent.

Yeah, I'd like to see the option of certain packs coming both in non-painted and pre-painted options. The faction packs would be a great opportunity for that, but I'm sure it would be a lot of work.

'General Battuta" posted:

I wish they sold prepainted stuff I am too weak to paint

Painting is one of the most relaxing hobbies I've found in the last few years. I didn't think I could do it either, and my first few 'mechs were trash jobs.

My recommendation is pick up that new mercs paintset they're releasing, get two or three paintbrushes (one for metallics, the other two for regular stuff), chose a single scheme and go for it. You'll like it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Painting is one of the most relaxing hobbies I've found in the last few years. I didn't think I could do it either, and my first few 'mechs were trash jobs.

Painting minis with a lofi channel on in the background is an outright zen experience for me. Can’t wait for the merc boxes to start showing up :unsmith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mechs are good to paint because there's almost no wrong way to paint them. Even a monochrome rattlecan/wash/detail pass looks fine.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I get a ton of mileage out of just picking one color of speedpaint and doing a lance at a time, it's pretty zen to sit and paint a few mechs before I go to bed. For my PC merc unit I spend a bit more time and do several colors but for a lot of my generic opfor mechs it's just whatever grabs my eye first in my paint box.

Another easy way I do stuff like small stripes is just with a fine tip acrylic paint pen, gets the job done for me

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mechs are good to paint because there's almost no wrong way to paint them. Even a monochrome rattlecan/wash/detail pass looks fine.

A coloured spray primer, some black or brown wash, and maybe picking out a few metal details and a drop of paint on the cockpit = a perfectly servicable tabletop paint job that is very beginner friendly,

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't have the executive function to reliably do my dishes, I don't want to wrangle a bunch of paints, I want instant gratification I'm a child!!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, you're in luck, because a very few select machines in upcoming packs are going to be pre-painted.

Y'know, rather than the smart way to do that: pre-painted "beginner packs" with all contents pre-painted.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

General Battuta posted:

I don't have the executive function to reliably do my dishes, I don't want to wrangle a bunch of paints, I want instant gratification I'm a child!!!
This is my perpetual mood.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have so many half painted mechs sitting around amongst dozens of other projects for other game systems. It's a major victory when I finish a single miniature TBH.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The pain of having too many interests is a sweet one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Painting mechs after smoking just a little bit of weed is one of the great joys in life that make it worth living.

I do get wanting instant gratification and being able to buy a box and throw down good looking mechs without any additional effort or art supply purchases, but once you find your groove it is a hell of a relaxing hobby.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Some early prints of this year's stuff is showing up:

Jumping Starslayer, different Black Knight (no shield sorry), Argus

The Davions

The Capellans

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is that a missile launcher being blocked by the mech's own canopy?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Which one?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ilmucche posted:

Is that a missile launcher being blocked by the mech's own canopy?

Nah, looks like it's just an SRM-6.

That Tian-Zong looks great though.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 20, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Same goon artist as the FWL 'Mechs mentioned earlier, adapted from the MWDA design. For the Tian-zong I mean

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 20, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Nah, looks like it's just an SRM-6.

That Tian-Zong looks great though.

Ahhh ok. Just a weird layout for the missiles

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

They're done. Opponent willing, I'll take them into action on Sunday, in alpha strike, though the urbie will count as a phoenix hawk for lack of stats.

I learned and improved a fair bit over this, and the next time I do something like it, I will be better, I swear.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is that an alternate Cent sculpt or did you repose it yourself?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Is that an alternate Cent sculpt or did you repose it yourself?

That's my extra Yen Lo Wang and Legend Killer from the target box.

I haven't gotten around to LK yet, but I did the YLW already

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

loving the Bullshark

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

biosterous posted:

loving the Bullshark

Thanks. I love the chassis, it's such a good looking design, though for the purposes of potential game, it'll be an Atlas C 3.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I hope the Bull Shark eventually gets canonized as something like how the Mechwarrior 4 Hellhound eventually got used for the Hellcat. It's probably going to get tied up forever in some legal purgatory with Paradox disbanding Harebrained Schemes, though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It may become Unseen and pass into legend. New players a generation hence will think its very existence a fairy tale - made-up bullshit, or perhaps Bullshart

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does that new dice game include a CGL store voucher?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Why is there no Australia themed clan?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Clan icy c*nts probably wouldn't sell too well

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

Because the game predates Crocodile Dundee by two years.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clan Drop Bear

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

Wolverine was Australian in the X-Men arcade game, is that close enough?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

back on my bullshit

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Catatac

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How does one deal with the usage of mechanical jump boosters on a TSM assault mech? drat thing is like a 2/3/11 monstrosity with full armor.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

those are actually urbie legs (for both the legs and the ears) so it's more of a urbabru

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

General Battuta posted:

Just take a bunch of Hatchet- and Axmans because a hatchet is like a knifey-spoony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

biosterous posted:

back on my bullshit

Lmao wtf

Does this permanently kick on the punch table