Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man how bullshit is it that Tilly only gets like one real sidequest in all of RDR2, and they leave the thread hanging for so long after the first trip into Valentine too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Man how bullshit is it that Tilly only gets like one real sidequest in all of RDR2, and they leave the thread hanging for so long after the first trip into Valentine too

Yes, I totally missed in my first run that she's basically the third Van der Linde child; an orphan who Dutch found, raised, taught to read, etc.. Only, she gets a fraction of the screentime as John and Arthur. You only learn all this from a single camp talk.

Tilly and Molly easily have the least effort put into them of any of the gang.

In fact, I have come to firmly hold a conclusion I had from my first run, which is that RDR2's most consistent weakness is the love stories. It wants them in the game, but it doesn't want to put any real effort into them. It wants Arthur to have had a sad loved and lost backstory, but we know absolutely nothing about his history with Mary. When did they meet? How? Was it before he lost his son? Same for Dutch and Molly. Has she been in the gang a few months? A year? What are the exact circumstances of her meeting Dutch? We're just told "there's a romance here" and expected to buy it with no further explanation. John and Abigail are fighting constantly until Chapter 4. John shows no real interest at all in her or Jack until Jack is kidnapped and then a switch is flipped and now love is in full bloom.

I know it's s a cliche but show, don't tell, game. RDR2 showed us nothing, especially with Arthur and Mary.

Speaking of Molly, though, someone rcently posted about a bunch of common RDR2 fan theories:

I tried to give it some thought, maybe even considering the pregnancy is why she's so completely unhinged by Chapter 4. Seriously, simple neglect doesn't drive you to how insane she gets. But I just don't buy it. The only "evidence" is how she really wants to talk to Dutch about something. That never had any greater signifcance to me than she just wants Dutch to listen to her in general. It doesn't mean she has earth-shattering news to deliver.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 29, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah with Molly I'm pretty sure its just her being neglected by Dutch + Dutch losing his poo poo and only she really knows how bad its getting but she has no one to confide in about it because all the other women in camp dislike her + Dutch clearly looking to replace her (hitting on Mary Ann) as he has probably done several times with the woman in his life

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I was trying to find the source of that iceberg to get some background and found this instead.

(sound required)
https://i.imgur.com/AY5HZCJ.mp4

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Friend posted:

I was trying to find the source of that iceberg to get some background and found this instead.

(sound required)

That video is great. One of the first RDR2 joke videos I ever found.

I found this curious model swap just yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6XFhmhZiJM

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I shared some stuff from this channel back during my first run but i have shamefully neglected it since then. It is recording RDR2 camp interactions in a cinematic style.

I wanna share some of their newer content cuz quite frankly it's amazing. The fact he did some of my favorite Dutch scenes helps, too, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0P3MSOlqbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QuJ2FEPuJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rT3CB9JHY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arthur Morgan wants to be your new American history teacher. Seriously.

quote:

Hey redditors – so I’m the American history professor who has been teaching the world’s first-ever college class on the Red Dead Redemption games. I’ve now written a book based on that class, called Red Dead’s History, aimed at fans of the game – which I shared on this reddit a few months ago.

But today I have some big news. Like, massive.

THE AUDIOBOOK VERSION OF RED DEAD’S HISTORY WILL BE NARRATED BY ROGER CLARK (ARTHUR MORGAN in RDRII).

Yes, this means you can let Arthur teach you the drama of real American history – using the Red Dead games as the springboard for doing so. Read all about it from today’s IGN story on the book, including what Roger and I have to say about the collaboration: https://www.ign.com/articles/arthur-morgan-is-your-american-history-teacher-in-new-red-dead-redemption-audiobook

The book releases on August 6 – preorder on Audible, Amazon, or wherever else books and audiobooks are sold. https://read.macmillan.com/lp/red-deads-history/

Post in comments below: what historical element of the Red Dead games do you want to hear Arthur explain to you?

Arthur Morgan Is Your American History Teacher in New Red Dead Redemption Audiobook

quote:

Roger Clark, who plays Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2, is set to narrate an audiobook that looks at American history through the lens of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption games.

Clark narrates historian Tore Olsson’s ‘Red Dead’s History’ in character as Arthur Morgan, protagonist of Rockstar’s critically acclaimed open-world epic.

Red Dead’s History explores the “wildly dramatic and gritty world” of America from 1870 to 1920. 2010’s Red Dead Redemption and its prequel, 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2, set in 1911 and 1899 respectively, were praised for their authentic portrayal of life during the decline of the American frontier. In the book, Olsson digs into the detail presented in the games and adds context from real-world American history.

Here’s the official blurb:

“Weaving together the fictional characters and plot of the Red Dead Redemption games with real-life historical vignettes, Olsson reveals that the action-packed violence of the Red Dead universe isn’t just spawned from Hollywood westerns but rooted in real sociopolitical issues from turn-of-the-century America.”

IGN spoke with college history professor Tore Olsson, who as well as writing books teaches the world’s first Red Dead Redemption history class at the University of Tennessee, to discuss the work. (Check out the interview in full for a fascinating look into the Red Dead Redemption games and their historical "thoughtfulness", as Olsson puts it.) Here's a snippet:

Audible Pre-Order. I'm doing it right now.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Red-Deads-History-Audiobook/B0CKM6FB83

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I finally got around to playing this game recently and its pretty great. I'm at Chapter 6 I think, and the game is making it pretty clear that Arthur doesn't have much time left on this earth.

Question: Should I complete all the quests open before the other shoe drops, or is there some kind of post game play where I can clean up what left? I am assuming there is, (and I can) because I still cant safely ride my horse to Blackwater.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigRoman posted:

So I finally got around to playing this game recently and its pretty great. I'm at Chapter 6 I think, and the game is making it pretty clear that Arthur doesn't have much time left on this earth.

Question: Should I complete all the quests open before the other shoe drops, or is there some kind of post game play where I can clean up what left? I am assuming there is, (and I can) because I still cant safely ride my horse to Blackwater.

There is a postgame, but I think some of the chapter 6 quests are only available in that chapter, so it’s a good idea to do anything that looks fun before progressing the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Specifically the widow who needs help. The other quests can be done after that, I think.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah its hard not to be spoilery because there's some missions you need to do in Chp 6, some you can wait on, and one mission chain in particular where the best way to do it is to complete missions 1-3 then save mission 4 for the epilogue. Bleh!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJutJ7WMrTM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Friend posted:

(sound required)

This is loving incredible, ahaha.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014
Just got this game but I can't play it, 5 minutes in and I get GFX_ERR_STATE. I've changed it from Vulkan to DirectX12, added -ignorepipelinecache in the launch arguments in Steam, deleted the SGA files from settings, updated my drivers and it still crashes. My graphics is an asus rog gtx 1070 OC strix. Anyone got a working solution?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is making the rounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XOy7sqEmI

Also I've been listening to this lately. It's by the same guy who did the original song. I dunno why it sys "Amazon Original" though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Rhe5BrYpI

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RDR1/2 soundtracks occupy many many hours on my Spotify wrapped, because it really is perfect music for studying, yardwork or relaxing.

I think I even bought a couple songs off the original years back on iTunes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Trip report: catching a legendary fish is loving impossible

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you’re playing with a controller, there’s an option under Accessibility settings to just hold or mash A for reeling, rather than the ridiculous “frantically spin thumbstick in a circle” default.

The other thing with fishing (and I’m not sure if this ever gets explained) is that while the fish is not struggling against you, rather than holding down the entire time, push the stick forward a bit so the rod angles further away from you, then sharply pull downwards and reel madly until the fish is struggling again. You’ll know it’s worked because the rod will tilt backwards to nearly vertical.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Doc Neutral posted:

Just got this game but I can't play it, 5 minutes in and I get GFX_ERR_STATE. I've changed it from Vulkan to DirectX12, added -ignorepipelinecache in the launch arguments in Steam, deleted the SGA files from settings, updated my drivers and it still crashes. My graphics is an asus rog gtx 1070 OC strix. Anyone got a working solution?

Anyone on PC who with the same problem? It's a bit better now but it keeps crashing (ERR_GFX_STATE) randomly during certain mission like the emmet granger gunslinger mission. Anyone got a solution?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkC8BP3-P4w

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

lmao incredible :kingsley::clint::kingsley:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Doc Neutral posted:

Anyone on PC who with the same problem? It's a bit better now but it keeps crashing (ERR_GFX_STATE) randomly during certain mission like the emmet granger gunslinger mission. Anyone got a solution?

I was getting that on launch lately, but verifying game integrity in Steam and updating my graphics drivers seemed to fix it for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is incredible :lol:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

this is kinda how my wedding went

ok way off-topic but I recently decided to revisit GTAIV after having not played it in over a decade and its almost funny how, designwise, RDR2 is kind of a direct continuation of IV, leapfrogging completely over the frivolity and instant gratification of GTAV to continue the "no, you're going to slow down and take your time and watch this sad story of a broken man unfold" thread that starts in Liberty City and ends just outside of Blackwater (or Mexico, if we're counting the final scene of RDR1)

with the Lost & Damned DLC for IV they even try to do a miniature version of the whole 'bitter second-in-command of a gang can only watch as their charismatic leader damns them all' thing, only it doesn't really work because biker gangs are stupid and their leader is annoying and instead of playing a soulful cowboy roaming the plains you're playing a depressed biker roaming New Jersey, but you can still see the inkling of what they were going for, and would eventually succeed at in RDR2, even if GTAIV never really fully hits the mark itself

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

this is kinda how my wedding went

ok way off-topic but I recently decided to revisit GTAIV after having not played it in over a decade and its almost funny how, designwise, RDR2 is kind of a direct continuation of IV,

In all ways except gameplay, thank loving god

Gta4 has NOT aged well IRT how it handles, the running around, and the driving sucked, continues to suck, and will forever suck

I also am unsure how the gently caress I can go back and replay Witcher 3 with how loving poorly Roach handles compared to red dead 2 horses

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

arguably the ease with which you can have a head-on horse collision in RDR2 is just a spiritual successor to how easy it was to flip a motorcycle in GTAIV

i am sad that neither RDR2 or GTAV let you get as stupidly falling down drunk as both GTAIV and RDR1 did, though. john literally being unable to walk up a staircase was a good time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

with the Lost & Damned DLC for IV they even try to do a miniature version of the whole 'bitter second-in-command of a gang can only watch as their charismatic leader damns them all' thing, only it doesn't really work because biker gangs are stupid and their leader is annoying and instead of playing a soulful cowboy roaming the plains you're playing a depressed biker roaming New Jersey, but you can still see the inkling of what they were going for, and would eventually succeed at in RDR2, even if GTAIV never really fully hits the mark itself

Lost & The Damned has some of the worst examples of a particular type of Rockstar writing that I just found miserable, where everybody is cynical and nihilistic and the so-called "charismatic" types are nothing of the sort. It's basically a whole lot of Micahs, and he works in RDR2 because he stands so apart from everybody else and is designed to be hateable, whereas LatD seems to think you'll be torn on going against the head of the Motorcycle Gang, or that you can buy him as the leader in the first place.

I think the cruelest thing though is that while it's possible to get a "good" ending for the main character of that game where he rejects the leader, breaks off a toxic relationship and tries to start things over, GTAV then has a cameo where he's a strung out meth addict still in that toxic relationship and he's killed off by Trevor as a joke after making a pathetic attempt at a speech.

The Ballad of Gay Tony at least remembered the game was supposed to be fun and you were supposed to actually want better things for the characters. GTA V gives you:

Michael - a huge entitled rear end in a top hat
Trevor - a complete psychopath. A great performance by his VA, at least.
Franklin - the normal but boring guy

That RDR2 was good was a very pleasant surprise. That it was EXCELLENT was a sheer delight.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Lost & The Damned has some of the worst examples of a particular type of Rockstar writing that I just found miserable, where everybody is cynical and nihilistic and the so-called "charismatic" types are nothing of the sort. It's basically a whole lot of Micahs, and he works in RDR2 because he stands so apart from everybody else and is designed to be hateable, whereas LatD seems to think you'll be torn on going against the head of the Motorcycle Gang, or that you can buy him as the leader in the first place.

In going back and looking at that time period of release, it feels appropriate for the era

Don't get me wrong, ballad of gay Tony was way more fun to play but 2008 loving sucked yo

The world was cynical and nihilistic and meanspirited

Now it is full of insanity and broken brains and that is awful but in a different way imo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

rotinaj posted:

Gta4 has NOT aged well IRT how it handles, the running around, and the driving sucked, continues to suck, and will forever suck
I finally finished GTA Ⅴ recently and have started on Ⅳ which I never got far into, and while the driving is hilariously jelly physics compared to Ⅴ you do get used to it, and Ⅳ is proving to be a way more fun experience.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For the longest time, I thought the main character of lost and damned (johnny? i forget his name already) and John Marston had the same VA

They don't, it turns out, but they're pretty close

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I finally finished GTA Ⅴ recently and have started on Ⅳ which I never got far into, and while the driving is hilariously jelly physics compared to Ⅴ you do get used to it, and Ⅳ is proving to be a way more fun experience.

I kinda wish they would just rerelease gta4 made in the gta5 engine, to see if I would like it more with driving that doesn’t suck quite so loud

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

rotinaj posted:

I also am unsure how the gently caress I can go back and replay Witcher 3 with how loving poorly Roach handles compared to red dead 2 horses

Surprising to read this in the RDR2 thread of all places since the physics is probably the closest to GTA4 I've ever played.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
GTAIV driving was too floaty, but GTAV overcorrected IMO.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GTAV rules precisely because it is so cynical and depraved. Like yeah it’s a bit cartoonish but they did a pretty good job lampooning modern American social decay.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Surprising to read this in the RDR2 thread of all places since the physics is probably the closest to GTA4 I've ever played.

GTA4 had much shittier controls for shooting, running around, and driving IMO

Or maybe they just hadn’t been sanded smooth for gta4 and they had perfected what they were trying to do for rdr2

TBF I haven’t played gta4 or 5 in at least 5 years

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think the cruelest thing though is that while it's possible to get a "good" ending for the main character of that game where he rejects the leader, breaks off a toxic relationship and tries to start things over, GTAV then has a cameo where he's a strung out meth addict still in that toxic relationship and he's killed off by Trevor as a joke after making a pathetic attempt at a speech.

The Ballad of Gay Tony at least remembered the game was supposed to be fun and you were supposed to actually want better things for the characters. GTA V gives you:

Michael - a huge entitled rear end in a top hat
Trevor - a complete psychopath. A great performance by his VA, at least.
Franklin - the normal but boring guy

That RDR2 was good was a very pleasant surprise. That it was EXCELLENT was a sheer delight.

To be clear I love GTAV and think the characters are all top notch but I also don't especially care if they live or die, they're just fun archetypes bouncing off each other. You can absolutely see where the design philosophy shifted in Gay Tony to "let's just have them be funny cartoons again" and continued on that vein into V.

The fatal flaw of Lost & Damned is that I don't care if the characters live or die AND they're all miserable joyless sad sacks. RDR1 suffers from this a bit but the ending brings it around, whereas Lost & Damned just...stays that way. His life sucks, no moral! You can almost see R* kind of admitting they hosed this up by just making the Lost a disposable enemy faction in V.

Its not really until RDR2 that they attempt pathos again, but then they knock it out of the loving park there, so I guess it worked out in the end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The trick to enjoying GTA4's driving is to accept that the game doesn't want you to drive fast, and instead wants you to learn to weave through all the alleyways and side streets to create that kind of cinematic car chase experience. Liberty City is a tighter and more claustrophobic map and it seems like the game is designed around navigating that instead of burning rubber on the open road.

the problem is that driving fast rules and you shouldn't be punished for it

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

The trick to enjoying GTA4's driving is to accept that the game doesn't want you to drive fast, and instead wants you to learn to weave through all the alleyways and side streets to create that kind of cinematic car chase experience. Liberty City is a tighter and more claustrophobic map and it seems like the game is designed around navigating that instead of burning rubber on the open road.

the problem is that driving fast rules and you shouldn't be punished for it

Driving fast gets you punished in GTA V too. Traffic ALWAYS swerved into your path if you go too fast.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TACD posted:

Towards the end of my playthrough I wanted to finish a couple of the cigarette card sets so I just posted up in the shop in Van Horn smoking and buying cigarettes, hacking my lungs up the whole time lmao

I felt bad anytime I heard Arthur cough like that when I'd smoke to restore Dead Eye and forgot about his tuberculosis . :(

E: Posting on the Micah page :devil:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love finding the letter from Micah's brother which is essentially,"Oh. You're alive. Never come anywhere near us again. gently caress you."