Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

JoaoVitorBF posted:

Is there a good way to level up your survival skill? I can't craft a lot of things because I don't have enough survival skill.

Ironically enough, it levels up by crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

JoaoVitorBF posted:

Is there a good way to level up your survival skill? I can't craft a lot of things because I don't have enough survival skill.

It's pretty easy. Just cut down trees and craft wood planks / bundles. Have fun doing it for awhile!

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
since there in no singular discord server for scum players, i've created new one. welcome to SCUMMY - https://discord.gg/AjVEndJ
another thing we need to pick is the server. which it would be?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Здравствуйте! This is my gaming video channel with thick Russian accent - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7bdvXtjexnJ7doOCSYvmZg

Aydjile fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 4, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’ve been enjoying dicking around with this game but the huuuuge map combined with the general lack of stuff to do after you raid a military base or three has me burning out a little bit. Other people are few and far between and good god is it difficult to scrounge for the correct type of ammo / scope / etc. I feel like in a few months it’ll have more to do but right now it feels a bit empty

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I try and stay away from military bases, I feel that they're just a way to short circuit the entire game and need to be redone. Maybe make guns into 5-10 different parts like Tarkov and you need to find each part and have a skill high enough to assemble them or something. They have all this crafting for spears, axes, backpacks, clothes etc but what's the point if you can jump into a base, get a bullet proof vest, an AK with an ACOG and just murder people non-stop?

I am finding it enjoyable just crafting loot stashes all over and filling them with supplies and exploring the map mostly. I could do this for another 20hrs without getting bored probably.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Philthy posted:

Maybe make guns into 5-10 different parts like Tarkov and you need to find each part and have a skill high enough to assemble them or something.

Jesus no.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Patch notes!

quote:

Patch notes 0.1.17.8423
@everyone
Here are the new patch notes! A lot of goodies for everyone. And yes we are working on the server lag as we speak, we just want to make sure it comes out in the best shape as possible. Its on top of our priority list!

The game should be compatible with ultra wide displays now.

Fixed ultra wide (and super ultra wide) scaling on server browser.

Lowered ambient volume of character creation menu ambient sound.

Made chat scrollbar more responsive.

Made chat close on enter if input box is empty.

Fixed bug with ammo duplication when stored in object and using search object over and over.

Fixed weapon scope duplication when dragged from one rifle onto the other and relogging.

Tweaked spawn rate. You should encounter more animals now.

Fixed weapon spawn rotation. You wont be aiming in your head anymore.

Significantly increased hearing range of gunshot sounds.

Fixed equipment layer for bags. (You could have carreid more than 1 bag, now you can not)

Added an extra inventory slot to woodcuter shirts.

Fixed a bug where you could respawn before the timer hit zero.

Add 8 inventory slots on bulletproof vests.

Increased animal health and varied it more. (spear normally makes animal bleed severely but its the most common hunting weapon, guns kill it instatly)

Possible fix in underground bases that caused teleporting to surface,collision problem. Needs further testing.

Possible animal despawning bug fix. Animals used to despawn on random moments, after player interaction.

Added player killed audio event and player lost audio events to sentry.

WIP master server improvements. (Server browser should be more responsive)

Sentry now misses less bullets.

Tree bark rope is now made from short wooden sticks. Before was long wooden sticks.

Reduced needed skill level to craft a fire drill.

Fixed metal scrap making motion noise sound while equipped in hands.

Reduced inventory size for barbed wire from 2x2 to 1x1.

Orv posted:

Jesus no.

What other ways could they make guns super rare and take extremely long to acquire? I mean, there is a balance here that needs to make crafting worthwhile for spears and such and working your way up. Right now it's like PUBG where you jump building to building to get a gun and kill people when you should be working your way up with clubs, spears, bats, swords. It's like they are caught between being a survival game and a BR and don't know how to balance it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 4, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Philthy posted:

What other ways could they make guns super rare and take extremely long to acquire? I mean, there is a balance here that needs to make crafting worthwhile for spears and such and working your way up. Right now it's like PUBG where you jump building to building to get a gun and kill people.

I don't think they should be hard to acquire at all. DayZ and SCUM are long-form, irregular map and mode of conflict death matches not actual survival games and the ability to actually have interesting gun fights should reflect that. Making guns more rare does not make the game better, solving the lack of reasons to be anywhere but the gun locales does. Right now it's almost impossible to find and fight someone in the middle of nowhere, something that happened semi-regularly in DayZ and leads to the reason to play something like SCUM; gun fights in places that aren't just a factory or a CoD map.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

I don't think they should be hard to acquire at all. DayZ and SCUM are long-form, irregular map and mode of conflict death matches not actual survival games and the ability to actually have interesting gun fights should reflect that. Making guns more rare does not make the game better, solving the lack of reasons to be anywhere but the gun locales does. Right now it's almost impossible to find and fight someone in the middle of nowhere, something that happened semi-regularly in DayZ and leads to the reason to play something like SCUM; gun fights in places that aren't just a factory or a CoD map.

Right, but why have crafting at all then at this point if this is how the game goes is my question.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Philthy posted:

Right, but why have crafting at all then at this point if this is how the game goes is my question.

I think primarily because this is a game being made by a handful of people as a passion project, because they loved DayZ and want to make a better one. This isn't some cynical AAA cash-in on the BR bubble (which is already collapsing), this is 17 people making the game they want to make, and think they can make better. Crafting is in there because they think it adds something, and I think to some extent it does. Certainly the ability to craft ammo if you find a gun but no ammo is a good addition, and the ability to defend yourself against puppets is something that was almost impossible without a gun in DayZ (though mostly because the zombies in DayZ are barely functional). Crafting in SCUM is an addition that gives options, not because they want a Rust or an Ark.

Granted this game is going to be in EA for at least a year and what the game is now may change very drastically based on how closely they actually appear to be listening to feedback, and how deep they go on the unpleasantly simulation parts of the metabolism system. Right now though it's just DayZ with some extra bits. Get a gun, shoot a man, rinse, repeat.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
Oh thank god they buffed the bots again. When I realized that they were missing every single shot I just started running past them ignoring their existence.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I had to relieve my diarrhea last night while proning behind sandbags and hiding from a mech. That was very scary, but it was pre-accuracy fixing patch.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I agree that this game is a great starting point and look forward to the random events or side missions. A lot of potential in this.

This weekend I played with goons doing a rumble at the airport and it was great fun (I was Gnolfo ingame). It's a bummer that things get laggy when a lot of people are nearby but hopefully they can optimize that. My larger concern is dumb metas will form and you can always predict where people will be and what the best buildings are to camp or whatever. I'm hoping if they make the random event stuff correctly it will break that up.

An elite NPC enemy would be nice too, as a mid range challenge so that getting the best gear isn't just a case of playing solid snake for a couple minutes. Right now outside of pvp opponents you have puppets which are trivial unless you get very careless, and the mechs which are just not at all worth fighting. I know they are early on and a small team so no judgment that it's not flush with extras like this but I'm just blue skying.

After playing team games with goons I then decided to find a low pop server and try to go as a solo survivalist, avoiding military bases and just seeing how efficient I can get my loadout and stashes from just living off the land and scrounging from villages. It was a lot of fun and very immersive and when after a few hours I at random heard a loud whiz sound followed quickly by a gun crack off in the distance, holy poo poo was that an adrenaline rush! No idea where they were besides a general direction, and all I had for real firepower was the M9 pistol with no mag, and about 10 bullets. Being hunted could be a fun random event if they balance the rewards well.

All in all I am enjoying this way more than Day Z and similar. Learning a lot of stuff I forgot about nutrition too!

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 4, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if they lag is on my system or the server, but last night I got in a fight around the trainyard and my FPS dropped to like 2. It's hard to fight when it's basically a slideshow.

Not expecting much better at the moment being EA and all. All in all it's more complete than DayZ and the hurdle mechanics are great. I like the latest patch changing the bark rope to small branches. It was a pain in the rear end getting five large branches in one place. This will save an extra few minutes when trying to craft a backpack.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
How do you spawn on a specific place? I have only died one time but I noticed that there were multiple options for the respawn location.
Also, what's the deal with stashes? Do you build them just to hide stuff for your next character?

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS

Canuckistan posted:

I'm not sure if they lag is on my system or the server, but last night I got in a fight around the trainyard and my FPS dropped to like 2. It's hard to fight when it's basically a slideshow.

Not expecting much better at the moment being EA and all. All in all it's more complete than DayZ and the hurdle mechanics are great. I like the latest patch changing the bark rope to small branches. It was a pain in the rear end getting five large branches in one place. This will save an extra few minutes when trying to craft a backpack.

Have you tried disabling depth of field? It fixed most of the fps problems for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Which of these survival type games has the best PvE combat would you say?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

JoaoVitorBF posted:

How do you spawn on a specific place? I have only died one time but I noticed that there were multiple options for the respawn location.
Also, what's the deal with stashes? Do you build them just to hide stuff for your next character?
You can spawn randomly which is pretty self explanatory.

You can spawn near a squadmate if you're teamed up.

You can spawn in the same sector you died in. The map is a 4x4 grid of labeled "sectors" (A1 - D4) that are each 3km to a side. Each of those is further split up into 1km squares (a 3x3 grid) but I'm pretty sure the sectors are the large grids with names like "B3", rather than the 1km squares.

Lastly you can spawn on any shelters you have made with that character. They're pretty simple to make but IMO they can stick out visually so try to use terrain to hide them from vast lines of sight rather than rely on it blending in with the scenery.

And yes stashes are basically persistent loot crates that you can hide in spots that are hopefully unlikely to get noticed (putting it right by your shelter is putting all your eggs in one garishly easy to notice basket, hide them a short walk nearby from your shelter).

Me personally I like to put shelters in remote areas that are not along any direct lines between major points of interest. Just take a screenshot of your map when you're standing at it and work on a backup kit to put in a stash nearby.

Generally speaking if you die to random bullshit it might be worth respawning on sector/squad to get your stuff back. If you got perforated by a mech right at a bunker entrance or something, your stuff might not get looted but consider how safely you can stay at your corpse recovering all of it if it's openly in a mech path. If you got killed / squad wiped in pvp it's probably not worth trying to recover. There will probably be loot left by your killer(s) due to bag space, but at the same time they're going to half expect you to return so it's very risky to try and get in there and loot. Those last two are the cases where you might pop back to your shelter and re-equip (that or ragequit).

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 6, 2018

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This game looks like someone looked over Arma and decided "hmm this isn't :spergin: enough".

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My favorite memory of DayZ was eating 400 cans of baked beans and doing 20 blood infusions all at once. I had so much blood that I had to be shot about 300 times before I finally passed out.

The closest thing you can do in this is eat 100,000 calories in one sitting and then never eat again while sprinting everywhere and doing whatever the gently caress you want independent of the survival system.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

AGGGGH BEES posted:

This game looks like someone looked over Arma and decided "hmm this isn't :spergin: enough".

In a way it kind of is, but also with like a bunch of QOL improvements where it counts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Interesting damage model video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ac7Du7uww0

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Interesting damage model video.

Is that man going to die IRL?

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Found some ciggies, tried to light them with a fire drill but no variation worked.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Jigglesby posted:

Found some ciggies, tried to light them with a fire drill but no variation worked.

You try a lighter? I found a couple of those. If it works report back if you character starts wheezing and can only run for 25 feet before almost throwing up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Patch notes:

quote:

Patch Notes 0.1.17.8491
posted by Wonderwe1ss @ 12:11PM on September 05, 2018
New patch will be live in 15 min!

Added first wave of server optimization that should decerease lag.

Fixed Prisoner stats not being saved in singleplayer mode

Fixed shelter and storage box saving in single player

Added cap to negative fame penalty on kill (Can't lose more than 20 now)

Localization update, added German and Russian

Projectile actor is always relevant. (This fixed the bug where you didnt hear gun shoots behind your back)

Enabled character leaning while in melee combat mode and jogging/sprinting

Fixed bug where prisoner would recover from ragdoll on a vastly different location than he went into ragdoll.

Fixed glass on Hangar_01 Now awarenes should work. (Now you should see a player through the glass not just the gun flying around, also Sentries can see you through it now)

Fixed time dilation exploit for movement speed (speedhack)

Fixed Rendering distances on Airport (Buildings render further, so you wont see people flying around)

Adjusted temperature calculation while in water. (You get colder faster)

Fixed weapon models where they would look distorded on low settings. (also fixed that on a lot of items)

Added new sentry voice

Fixing Crossroar collisions (Where Sentry was getting stuck)

Sentry now only gives out one warning, even if player complies and leaves the area it will engage on sight next time

Fixed 1 sec bug for NoSkill Make Shelter, added times 25,20,15,10 sec for NoSkill/Basic/Medium/Advanced

Entering and leaving multiplayer submenu should not freeze for a second anymore

Enabled admin commands in singleplayer.

#ListAssets Item|Character [<Filter>]

#SpawnItem <Asset> [<Count>]

#SpawnCharacter <Asset> [<Count>]

#Teleport <Steam ID, Steam Name or Character Name> [<X> <Y> <Z>]

#SetFamePoints <Value> [<Steam ID, Steam Name or Character Name>]

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
They are already fixing the multiplayer desync, nice.
I have died 3 times already because of desync.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Servers were wiped with the latest patch. I spawn near a cabin in the woods.

Hunting rifle.

Find small 3 or 4 building crossroads set up. Find ammo, small toolbox, lead plate, M9.

Got my shelter built, a few stashes all filled up. GTG.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
SCUM sold 700,000 copies it's first week.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
We're the problem.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I hate BR and multiplayer survivor games but this one has me hooked. I can't even begin to explain why.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
It's because, somehow, this one has some devs that seem to care about making the game good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Shot a deer and it ran. So I went where I shot it and focused with right click. It shows this. The blue shows the direction it ran.

This game is awesome.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS

Philthy posted:

Shot a deer and it ran. So I went where I shot it and focused with right click. It shows this. The blue shows the direction it ran.

This game is awesome.

gently caress, I didn't know you could do that. I have already failed killing a deer 3 times because it ran away. Also, a goat loving rammed me shortly after the last fail.
My SCUM hunting life sucks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Philthy posted:

This game is awesome.

They must be fans of The Hunter. That’s cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe this is a silly thing to say but I can't figure out what you actually do in this game. From reading about it, you just go from house to house and loot. However, there's no real external threat that you are preparing for as the zombies are few and far between and not very threatening? It seems like you're gathering things for no real reason. All the reviews I've read the guy tells a story that seems interesting the way he tells it, but he doesn't actually do anything. The reviewer then claims to have had a really good time. What am I missing here?

As an aside, there's a game called Miscreated that seems to be essentially the same thing. You go from house to house and loot while facing an extremely minor threat. Why is this popular and that is not?

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe this is a silly thing to say but I can't figure out what you actually do in this game. From reading about it, you just go from house to house and loot. However, there's no real external threat that you are preparing for as the zombies are few and far between and not very threatening? It seems like you're gathering things for no real reason. All the reviews I've read the guy tells a story that seems interesting the way he tells it, but he doesn't actually do anything. The reviewer then claims to have had a really good time. What am I missing here?

As an aside, there's a game called Miscreated that seems to be essentially the same thing. You go from house to house and loot while facing an extremely minor threat. Why is this popular and that is not?

At its most boiled down that is the game. You're getting that loot to have shootouts. That is the game, it is very much a make your own goal kind of thing; KDR, longest survival, coolest loadout, whatever. Generally when goons get together to play these kinds of things we all meet up, get guns and roll around being bullies by murdering everyone we can find (or trying, goons will goon.)

Miscreated is also that kind of game (DayZ-alike/clones) but is terrible all the way down. Bad controls, bad guns, bad survival mechanics. SCUM, despite its early nature, is very refined compared to many if not all of the other releases in this subgenre.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 7, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's a sandbox. It is what you make it. If you're a survival nerd you try to stay alive, make camps, and craft your little heart out. If you're a PVPer you try to gank the survival nerds and take their poo poo. Personally i find these boring solo but much more enjoyable when teaming up with Goons and forming roaming gank squads, only to get shot by another goon who didn't hear you the four times when you said you're coming to their location.

There's not a lot of gameplay outside of these things right now. As they implement features that will change.

EATURES PLANNED FOR VERSION 1.0
The following features are not yet in SCUM and are planned as a part of the Early Access period. The timing and depth of these features are subject to change base on community feedback and development realities.

Metanarrative Gameplay [Primary / Secondary Missions, Side Quests, End Game Content]
Functional Vehicles + Different Vehicle Types
Female Characters
Fortifications/Bases Functional
Safe Zones Implemented
Advanced Visual Character Customization
Advanced Combat System [Martial Arts + Improved Weapons Control and Movement]
All Soft Skills and Skill Levels Fully Implemented
Advanced Crafting System
Rebellion Experience System
Advanced NPC and Animal AI
Additional NPC and Wildlife Sets
Advanced Team Mechanics
Additional Network Events
Advanced Fame Point System
Additional Weapons and Gear
Larger Urban Areas
Ongoing Optimization

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How often does combat happen? From what I can tell you very rarely see other players. Are the 'zombies' fun to fight? I'm really curious about this game but I don't understand why everyone says "its a sandbox, do what you want" and then they list the only two activities that seem to be possible: PvP and not dying of hunger. I'm seriously not trying to be a dick here, I really don't understand.

To me it sounds like PUBG but instead of minutes in between fights its hours.

edit: Also feel free to respond with "Well I guess you just don't get it" because I am willing to accept that scenario

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Zombies aren't particularly fun to fight, but they can be numerous enough to be harrowing at times. Mostly you move to avoid them. Time between seeing people varies wildly to the point that there's really not a good answer I can give. If you frequent places with loot on a full server you'll likely see someone at every major POI you go. If you're in the woods primarily it's considerably less likely. I've said it a couple times across SA since SCUM came up, but they really are just long-form death match games. Survival is secondary, you're here to run into people in weird places and have tense, frantic firefights with a lot of flanking and trying to out think someone more than "Well lemme go around this corner this time" like you would in a CoD/BF.

I think it probably is a "you don't get it" thing, honestly. There's a certain like, relaxed tension in moving around the map while loaded down in gear and knowing someone might be stalking you, or you might run into someone in a random building and it's down right then right there with no warning, no prep, no lobby - just shoot. And honestly that's all DayZ ever was, it ended up with various fan forks and mods and such - base building, wars, huge zombie amounts - but in the end it was you and your friends hanging out in some Balkan shithole forest and trying not to get sniped in the woods.

I guess the best way I can think of to describe it (if you're not playing solo) is basically a social hang out game where occasionally murder happens.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 7, 2018

• Locked thread