Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

“Oh god I’m gonna Grinch!” is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

brian murphy make a grinch oneshot you coward

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
"A lowly, lowly, lowly, lowly podcast"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"I accept the lower case l"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"I don't really eat cereal except for fruity pebbles on christmas"

emily.....who are you

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Same person who got the non-marshmallow lucky charms pieces as a treat

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I did get to the “Chicken?” thing and holy hell did I ever laugh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TL posted:

I did get to the “Chicken?” thing and holy hell did I ever laugh.

i felt bad about possibly spoiling it for you if you hadn't gotten to it yet, because it's absolutely a top 3 moment of the show, but also the word "chicken" isn't enough to spoil it unless you already know what the joke is so i'm glad you got to experience it

kidcoelacanth posted:

"I don't really eat cereal except for fruity pebbles on christmas"

emily.....who are you

i like how murph tried to "moving on" it but she followed it up with something so weird that even he had to know more

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Same person who got the non-marshmallow lucky charms pieces as a treat

Listen buddy, if you know a better way to reward your child for her piano practice, I'm all ears.

lmao, it's honestly astonishing Emily isn't weirder.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Also, I just got to Bev’s pseudo-date at the Owlbear cave. Caldwell is excellent at playing a confused, hormonal teenager.

And I love the idea of Bev Sr. and Balnor staying up all night slamming Bud Heavys.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Emily is definitely Naddpod's Goku

edit: Caldwell is Krillin obv.and Murph is 100% Vegeta. Who's Jake?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

yamcha

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
yajirobe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

he owns the company that makes a lot of their exploits possible, so bulma

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Correct, imagine Jake in the death pose

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

he owns the company that makes a lot of their exploits possible, so bulma

its this

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

NieR Occomata posted:

Correct, imagine Jake in the death pose

Also Jake is wealthy and successful in something that gets him 0% respect from the rest of the cast

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know “Brennan Lee Mulligan is great at D&D” is not exactly a surprise, but Deadeye rules. He fits in so well with the boobs.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The sound I made tonight when I listened to Galad kick Paw Paw. I was legitimately angry. Kudos to Jake, though, he was great in the scenes with Hardwon’s mom.

“You’ve still got a lot to teach me. I’m dumb as hell.”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its amusing how judgmental naddpod has made me about other dnd shows

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

its amusing how judgmental naddpod has made me about other dnd shows

"how does this show stack up to naddpod?" (answer: it doesn't)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved the Balance arc of TAZ and I can’t see myself going back to it. NADDPOD kind of blew it out of the water in my view.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still like other shows but it is striking how naddpod manages to hit that balance of funny/story while also being generally quite faithful to the rules and mechanics of d&d. some of the other shows I listen to (dungeons and daddies and rude tales of magic) are pretty open about their willingness to throw the handbook in the garbage when it gets in the way of what they’re trying to do (which, fair enough imo, they’re putting on a show first and foremost) and it’s impressive that naddpod does what it does mostly within those confines.

Dimension 20 is a similar vibe and I highly recommend watching it if you aren’t already. The first season of the fantasy high campaign is free on YouTube (you will recognize every face/voice if you’ve listened to enough naddpod; Murph and Emily are in it and everyone else has been a guest at some point) and there’s a lot more available with a dropout subscription.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’ve just started Fantasy High and I’m enjoying it a lot so far. I just got through the battle with the corn cuties.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still like other shows but it is striking how naddpod manages to hit that balance of funny/story while also being generally quite faithful to the rules and mechanics of d&d. some of the other shows I listen to (dungeons and daddies and rude tales of magic) are pretty open about their willingness to throw the handbook in the garbage when it gets in the way of what they’re trying to do (which, fair enough imo, they’re putting on a show first and foremost) and it’s impressive that naddpod does what it does mostly within those confines.

Dimension 20 is a similar vibe and I highly recommend watching it if you aren’t already. The first season of the fantasy high campaign is free on YouTube (you will recognize every face/voice if you’ve listened to enough naddpod; Murph and Emily are in it and everyone else has been a guest at some point) and there’s a lot more available with a dropout subscription.

I think NADDPOD and D20 have a nice balance of being funny, respecting the rules, and actually wanting to play D&D. The thing that gets me about Dungeons and Daddies and Rude Tales is that there’s this underlying current of “Ugh D&D is stupid”. Which, fine, but then why even pretend? Daddies is especially frustrating because it feels like their lack of understanding of the rules can result in a less interesting story. The rules are there to provide guidelines. Guidelines give you direction, a space to play in, and allow the dice to help tell the story. Knowing the rules helps you, and it started to feel like they were missing opportunities because they don’t know them. I also feel like Daddies is just a bunch of guys going “NO, WHAT HAPPENS IS…” (I feel like Beth is better about not doing that).

But also different strokes and all that.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 13, 2024

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m 20 episodes into C1 and am enjoying myself immensely. So far the main quibble is that Beverly might be a bit too chaotic - love the energy, just needs to take 20% off and sometimes do some boring smites for damage or think about the potential consequences of his actions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m 20 episodes into C1 and am enjoying myself immensely. So far the main quibble is that Beverly might be a bit too chaotic - love the energy, just needs to take 20% off and sometimes do some boring smites for damage or think about the potential consequences of his actions.

I internally justified that as him being a teenager

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I just picked a random old Dungeon Court for some background noise and in the first 5 minutes they’ve established that Bob Odenkirk distanced himself from Jake due to his problematic opinions, primarily the fact that elementary school students don’t need a cafeteria. They can eat at their desks!

gently caress I love these bozos

fake edit: Sept 16, 2022 for those who fancy a relisten

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

It's clear that Murph and Emily love D&D and that shines through, making it way more enjoyable

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel like Bev has definitely leaned more into reliably smiting for damage. He was a death dealing machine in the last fight in Shadowfell. And Caldwell is absolutely great at playing a teenager. The scene with him and Erlin when they reunited in Hillhome was extremely well done.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Awkward Davies posted:

I think NADDPOD and D20 have a nice balance of being funny, respecting the rules, and actually wanting to play D&D. The thing that gets me about Dungeons and Daddies and Rude Tales is that there’s this underlying current of “Ugh D&D is stupid”. Which, fine, but then why even pretend? Daddies is especially frustrating because it feels like their lack of understanding of the rules can result in a less interesting story. The rules are there to provide guidelines. Guidelines give you direction, a space to play in, and allow the dice to help tell the story. Knowing the rules helps you, and it started to feel like they were missing opportunities because they don’t know them. I also feel like Daddies is just a bunch of guys going “NO, WHAT HAPPENS IS…” (I feel like Beth is better about not doing that).

yeah ive come to strongly dislike d&d as a platform even before considering all the gross poo poo wizards does as a company which endears me specifically + permanently to the rude tales crew, but naddpod do a lot within the confines of "the rules" while having about 85% as much fun. caldwell really ran with it when he guested on rtom

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VERY COOL MAN posted:

yeah ive come to strongly dislike d&d as a platform even before considering all the gross poo poo wizards does as a company which endears me specifically + permanently to the rude tales crew, but naddpod do a lot within the confines of "the rules" while having about 85% as much fun. caldwell really ran with it when he guested on rtom

I don't even know that I agree that they're having less fun; part of it is what other people mentioned, that they genuinely like the game and enjoy playing it and that comes through in their performance, but I also think there's something to be said for the benefit of the rules as restrictions on their own. When used correctly they function less as obstacles, and more as little gifts to drive good improv, and they seem like they're having a lot of fun playing around with the tools that the game gives them to see what kind of mischief they can get up to (mostly Emily, but the others do it too).

Even throwing out the rules in favor of your own fun is kinda in the spirit of the game (or just tabletop RPGs in general I guess) imo; it's just a group of people sitting around a table having cooperative fun with the set of rules that they agree to, there's no ref or anything. Everyone's having a good time, except for maybe Anthony Burch who sounds kind of miserable sometimes but that's his journey to go on

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

i think a secret spice to the show's success also is the different knowledge levels of the people involved. Emily is completely insane, Jake probably still has to read his character sheet and stuff.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't even know that I agree that they're having less fun; part of it is what other people mentioned, that they genuinely like the game and enjoy playing it and that comes through in their performance, but I also think there's something to be said for the benefit of the rules as restrictions on their own. When used correctly they function less as obstacles, and more as little gifts to drive good improv, and they seem like they're having a lot of fun playing around with the tools that the game gives them to see what kind of mischief they can get up to (mostly Emily, but the others do it too).

Giving that little bit of a rules as bumpers/rails to guide stuff can also give you moments like the first fight in D20: Fantasy high where the tables were one of the biggest enemies, or a lot of the nat 1's and nat 20's on Naddpod. It adds just a bit of randomness to it and can really add some excitement to what's going on.

Rude Tales does that, they do roll dice, they just cut a lot of it out of the audio and I don't think Branson is really strict about what number they roll. It's more of a "You rolled a 13, so I'll make the result kind of middling" or "You rolled a 1 or 20, so this is going to be a hilarious failure/insane thing that shouldn't have worked but ups the ante" which still works great.

A little bit of structure can go a long way with talented performers, and both those shows have really, really good people that can take advantage of it.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
My biggest gripe with Dungeons and Daddies isn't really that they throw out the rules most of the time, but that when they do stick to them none of them (including Anthony) have bothered learning them.

Players have no idea what their spells and abilities do, so you get stuff like Beth fireballing the party or Freddy casting darkness over a dying teammate so no one can heal them.

I love the podcast but I'm not sure if dnd is the right platform for them.

Also, to contribute more than just whining I started listening to Rotating Heroes where Zac Oyama is the DM and the party changes from arc to arc. Still only on the first arc but the party is Emily Axford, Mike Trapp and Siobhan Thompson playing teenagers and it is pretty funny so far.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am in love with the idea of drunken Crick elves treating the most as a lazy river. That concept alone sold me on Mavrus. He’s awesome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TL posted:

I am in love with the idea of drunken Crick elves treating the most as a lazy river. That concept alone sold me on Mavrus. He’s awesome.

I love all of Zac's characters, he has a very particular vibe. We're watching unsleeping city now on dimension 20, and I thought I liked Ricky Matsui (the heroic firefighter who's basically a human golden retriever) in season one, but his relationship with Murph's season 2 character is on another level

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love all of Zac's characters, he has a very particular vibe. We're watching unsleeping city now on dimension 20, and I thought I liked Ricky Matsui (the heroic firefighter who's basically a human golden retriever) in season one, but his relationship with Murph's season 2 character is on another level

The clip of Ricky Matsui’s “confession” gets me every time

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Aa much as i love campaign 3, i would be enitrely onboatd if they wanted to pivot to mostly 8 Bit Book Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really like the cadence they’ve settled on, the mix of campaign episodes with pure loose goofy bullshit like book club and dungeon court is just right imo. I’m sure it gives Murph nice breathing room to write the campaign, too.