Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

They don't miss, what can you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m listening to the Boobs fighting the biker devils in hell, and I’m mentally picturing then in battle against a bunch of Big Daddy Roth drawings, it’s so sick. 69 rock and roll smoke drugs.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I had never heard the term “Bud Heavy” before and now I will always use it when ordered a Bud.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TL posted:

I had never heard the term “Bud Heavy” before and now I will always use it when ordered a Bud.

Same, and it’s such a perfect term for it

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh man, Emily’s trick with Josh and the Soul Coins was brilliant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TL posted:

I fully thought it was some poo poo Murph made up

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He absolutely did.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sankara posted:

He absolutely did.

A friend of mine who I’m very sure does not listen to d&d podcasts calls it that so I’m pretty sure it precedes him, but I guess it could be one of those things where the cultural reach spreads farther than you’d think

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Isn't it just because the more known of the Budweiser beers is the "Bud Light" so a regular beer would be a "Bud Heavy" ain't it

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

El Padrino posted:

Isn't it just because the more known of the Budweiser beers is the "Bud Light" so a regular beer would be a "Bud Heavy" ain't it

That’s why, from what I’ve seen online it’s a Midwestern thing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don’t think anything has come close to making me laugh as hard as the stuff with Hardwon and the milk, but for some reason, Moonshine’s conversation with Pendergreens as she’s hurtling into the eighth circle of hell was almost at that level for me.

“Do you watch Jeff Ross’ Roast Battle? Man, Ross goes IN on those dudes!”

Pretty much every Pendergreens appearance gets a good laugh out of me, actually.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TL posted:

I don’t think anything has come close to making me laugh as hard as the stuff with Hardwon and the milk, but for some reason, Moonshine’s conversation with Pendergreens as she’s hurtling into the eighth circle of hell was almost at that level for me.

“Do you watch Jeff Ross’ Roast Battle? Man, Ross goes IN on those dudes!”

Pretty much every Pendergreens appearance gets a good laugh out of me, actually.

Pendergreens is great, honestly your posts are making me really wanna go back and re-listen to season 1. there were so many good bits :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They have a habit of turning every villain into a goober, it’s funny watching Murph learn not to let them interact with an antagonist too closely if he wants to keep them threatening.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

newest ep: i don't trust that fuckin flower, and yes it's entirely because of undertale

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So like gaowin is the one who got taken and swag only thought it was the other brother because alexandrite figured out swag was leaking info to the party and deliberating misled him right

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Farg posted:

So like gaowin is the one who got taken and swag only thought it was the other brother because alexandrite figured out swag was leaking info to the party and deliberating misled him right

Ooh, that's a good theory. I was wondering what the outcome would be.

But didn't Emily's spell attack gaowin back when he stabbed Calder which would have triggered the replicant?

Feels like if they'd just gotten one of those nat 20s on perception on an insight check instead we'd know more :D

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ooh, that's a good theory. I was wondering what the outcome would be.

But didn't Emily's spell attack gaowin back when he stabbed Calder which would have triggered the replicant?

Feels like if they'd just gotten one of those nat 20s on perception on an insight check instead we'd know more :D

I don’t think that there was anything special about the spell that would have revealed a replicant, I think Gowan just assumed that if replicant-Calder thought he was under attack, he’d have blown his cover and revealed himself. But since it was his own trick, he didn’t fall for having it reversed on him. At least that’s my understanding of it; either way I think Gowan is actually the replicant, unless the whole twins thing is just a huge red herring

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can’t believe Balnor cut Akarot’s rear end off with the Sphere of Anal-Hilation.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wasn’t expecting Emily talking to an imaginary possum and then Pendergreens in hell to make me feel feelings but here we are.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Having done improv for the last fifteen years, Ol’ Cobb having an emotional conversation with Moonshine and then inviting her to an improv show was one of the absolute highlights of the entire show.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is pawpaw imaginary?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
he doesn't exist no

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I thought i was used to Emily being weird, but i was simply not prepared in any way for her to be smell-testing energy drinks because she doesn't want to damage her temporary root canal filling.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I thought i was used to Emily being weird, but i was simply not prepared in any way for her to be smell-testing energy drinks because she doesn't want to damage her temporary root canal filling.

i think thats less weird than her behavior during the last energy drink taste test, even putting aside her alternative interpretations of tang and bang

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

Is pawpaw imaginary?

He’s real and he’s my attorney.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

i think thats less weird than her behavior during the last energy drink taste test, even putting aside her alternative interpretations of tang and bang

the tang/bang stuff in the last energy drink episode gave me actual psychic damage so i'm very glad that i won't be dealt a similar blow when i get around to this one

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

scary ghost dog posted:

those are the same thing!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hardwon’s late-stage emergence as a beat poet is one of the more surprising aspects of the campaign so far, but I’ll allow it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’m up to episode 98, and I’m blown away by Emily’s quick thinking: Dispel Magic on the Allcaster at 7th level, with an 8th level Counterspell prepared if she screws up, and then another attempt at Dispel Magic. So dope. I’m excited to be this close to the finale, but man I’m going to miss what a ride this has been the first time through.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
There’s an exchange in episode 99, when the Boobs are looking at Hardwon’s nude artwork that Cordone Blue has framed, this struck me as so perfectly representative of Bev’s and Moonshine’s characters that I had to take note of it:

Bev: The crosshatching is incredible!
Moonshine: I like the underboob.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
listening to the ice knife saga, its insane that murph hasnt seen The Thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He might not have seen it, but it’s such a huge thing that you can’t not have seen something influenced by it and be generally aware of it, I’d still believe he’s homaging it third hand

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just finished the first campaign, and I adored it…and then that One Big Bed song played and I actually welled up a bit. What a nice ending.

I immediately started Trinyvale, and when Emily described her character as a Pastel Goth Warlock from the Moon, I was delighted to find she was back on her bullshit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Emily has not missed yet, she is a dynamo

E: where’s the hatch

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 9, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Enjoying the characters and goofs so far, but with Caldwell’s shaky DMing Trinvyvale is a real departure, at least early on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TL posted:

Enjoying the characters and goofs so far, but with Caldwell’s shaky DMing Trinvyvale is a real departure, at least early on.

I think this was literally Caldwell's first time DMing, and it shows especially early on, but he brings a lot of enthusiasm and creativity in from the start, and some of his later set pieces when he gets a little more confident in dealing with mechanics are really cool. And the characters remain hilarious and fun, and it's clear everyone involved is having an absolute blast most of the time, which is something that I will always enjoy listening to.

I'm not sure if it's all in the main feed at this point, but if not, it's worth subscribing to the Mixed Bag patreon tier for at least a month just to get the mini-campaign episodes that Emily DMs too.

e. Looks like the first Hot Boy Summer/The Mavrus Chronicles campaign, and the more recent Twilight Sanctorum campaign she did are in the main feed now, but the second Hot Boy Summer one is still at Mixed Bag level.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

the hot boy summer mini campaign is one of my favorite things they've done as a group, so make sure not to skip that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

trinyvale really finds its footing once it moves off the monthly format, and then takes off to the stratosphere post-campaign when it moves to one-offs and live shows

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
trinyvale gets really good once murph, emily and jake fully comprehend that caldwell’s setting and narrative are as unhinged as he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah trinyvale takes a few episodes to find its groove but I love it now.

I think it’s main strength is the relationship game that they found for the player characters, where Murph is ostensibly the high status member of the group, but in reality the others are constantly running circles around him and are denying him any control over his life. Also the way that they lean hard into being shitheads to the point where the characters are just plain evil at this point, I think they compare themselves to always sunny at some point which I think is spot on.

Also yeah, Caldwell gets more confident and designs some pretty innovative encounters; the world/story are kind of whatever, but it’s a very fun campaign once it gets going, it’s very much the Goof Campaign that they return to now and then as a palate cleanser and for live shows.