Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TwoPair posted:

So like, we're just gonna skip out on the missing robot and zombie man? Just gonna cut straight to Alice in a full rear end body huh?

There's one more episode, one of the characters mentioned a meeting between two other characters. Also probably just Sequel hook stuff.

Especially if they go ahead and end the season with the tease at the end of the Web Novel.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

OK so I clearly don't get it.

1. Did they create a meat body for Alice to inhabit? Did they somehow vat grow a body based on a digital image of a program simulating a person?
2. So the whole fluctlight expiration date doesn't matter because they can just erase all those memories and make everything ok?
3. A machine can erase your memories. A MACHINE CAN JUST ERASE A SELECTIVE CLUSTER OF MEMORIES. Are we going to discuss the frighting implications of that?

1. It's robotic. She's has a metal body, with probably some synthetic skin or some poo poo.

2. It matters, because they have to lose their memory, it's why there's a limiter in place. If they don't wipe the memory in time it's rip. It's why the administrator did everything she did for her own memories, and the integrity knights memories to keep them alive. And also why Kirito and Asuna were pretty much on their death beds when they were finally able to get them out of the Underworld.

3. That's been the case from the start. It's literally the first major plot point. Kirito was working for RATH and logging into the underworld for long periods of time, but was getting his memory of his time there erased when he logged in. They had him in there growing up with Eugeo/Alice etc etc. And then eventually removed him from everyone's memories, and them from his own.

But yeah, it's extremely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Not Keyser Soze posted:

OK so I clearly don't get it.

1. Did they create a meat body for Alice to inhabit? Did they somehow vat grow a body based on a digital image of a program simulating a person?
2. So the whole fluctlight expiration date doesn't matter because they can just erase all those memories and make everything ok?
3. A machine can erase your memories. A MACHINE CAN JUST ERASE A SELECTIVE CLUSTER OF MEMORIES. Are we going to discuss the frighting implications of that?

Man they had the memory erasing machine back in episode 1, that's old news. Though I guess it has been literal years since its come up, so I get why you may have forgotten.

Also I'm positive that Alice is a robot but it is kind of wild we went from "robot prototype that could only stomp forward" to "robot with fine motor control, perfectly lifelike skin, and hair" in like a day or less.

Paper Lion posted:

i watched the first chunk of episodes of this back when they aired and then saw the first episode of the new ones had the boring kirito is catatonic stuff. im assuming that all ends nice and neatly on episode 13 so he can make the mid season save when things are at their darkest. my question is: why should i care about those 13 episodes? i feel like ill lose nothing skipping ahead to kirito waking up because there will be no narrative tension. a couple of robot soul people will probably die but no one important. is there a klein episode i have to not skip? i like dumb garbage, but skippable dumb garbage is what i find the most offensive.

The Kirito-less episodes are arguably the best part of this show, I wouldn't sleep on them.

vvv: not shocked at all, that seems to be a common theme this season.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 13, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TwoPair posted:

Also I'm positive that Alice is a robot but it is kind of wild we went from "robot prototype that could only stomp forward" to "robot with perfectly lifelike skin and hair" in like a day or less.

With how the anime removes all of Reiki's over exposition and inner monologue, it might not get explained. But it was explained in the novels lol.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not Keyser Soze posted:

We've known since the very beginning of the arc. They deleted Kirito's memories of Underworld while he was working for Rath.

e:oops, didn't look at the next page

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Yes, that’s true. I forgot about that plot point as it happened before COVID approximately 100 years ago.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTT2kLfRCw

lmao they are gonna animate progressive

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Ahaha holy poo poo Kirito in space. I can't believe it.

And congrats Alice, you are now a character who will never do anything interesting ever again.

I feel stupider for having watched this series and I don't regret it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is the most confused I think an ending has left me in a long time. So it's only been 300 years in-game but the world has advanced from high fantasy to space travel*... which okay, fair whatever, I guess technology would progress way faster if engineers could use magic to push things along. But why did Kirito & co spawn in space and it doesn't affect them at all? I know Old King Kirito's soul clone said Underworld had problems but I thought it would be like, political or something, not SPACE MONSTERS. Why are Ronie & Tiese (I think that's their names) still alive after 300 years as but as space pilots but with different names? I guess they reincarnated or something... but kept their same memories? Is Eugeo's ghost just in Kirito's inventory now like Yui was? I guess after he walked into the sunset with child Alice when he died he found the digital afterlife dull and just decided to come back because man he sure has been hanging around a lot.

*I get that Underworld is based on the Seed which is the most brilliant code ever by Cyber-HitlerJesus himself but I feel like there should be a hard distance limit on the sky in a game world? Or maybe that's why it seems like only part of the planet has lights? The whole Underworld is just one little fragment of a planet but it can extend into outer space? Man every time I think I understand technology in SAO, it just gets a little more wild.

Anyway I know this was all technically one big story but seeing as how they basically came out in seasons I'd put my final rankings

Alicization: 3/4 The Soul Society Arc Tower Run was cool and had a great cliffhanger for the season (though frankly the most excited I ever was in the story was the couple of episodes when the gang was trying to track down Kirito in the real world).
War of Underworld: 3.5/4 Fights and fights and aside from the episodes where the harem comes by to all talk about how hot they are for Kirito, really fun overall
War of Underworld Part 2: 1/4 Just dumb bullshit after dumb bullshit where everyone the main characters just gets superpowers because why loving not. Sooo many dropped plots (or hyper-condensed plots elements) that probably played better in the LNs or maybe were set ups for the new season but the way they landed in this season was so poor.

(Now that we know they have advanced technology, I look forward to an anime version of that one Rick & Morty episode with the microverse, where Kirito meets an artificial fluctlight who has developed their own VR system and they visit that world)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TwoPair posted:

This is the most confused I think an ending has left me in a long time. So it's only been 300 years in-game but the world has advanced from high fantasy to space travel*... which okay, fair whatever, I guess technology would progress way faster if engineers could use magic to push things along. But why did Kirito & co spawn in space and it doesn't affect them at all? I know Old King Kirito's soul clone said Underworld had problems but I thought it would be like, political or something, not SPACE MONSTERS. Why are Ronie & Tiese (I think that's their names) still alive after 300 years as but as space pilots but with different names? I guess they reincarnated or something... but kept their same memories? Is Eugeo's ghost just in Kirito's inventory now like Yui was? I guess after he walked into the sunset with child Alice when he died he found the digital afterlife dull and just decided to come back because man he sure has been hanging around a lot.

*I get that Underworld is based on the Seed which is the most brilliant code ever by Cyber-HitlerJesus himself but I feel like there should be a hard distance limit on the sky in a game world? Or maybe that's why it seems like only part of the planet has lights? The whole Underworld is just one little fragment of a planet but it can extend into outer space? Man every time I think I understand technology in SAO, it just gets a little more wild.

You should read the LN's, the Anime extremely skips all of Reiki's dumb and fun game mechanic explanations and implementations, and is much weaker for it, and skips most of the like actual fun stuff around the edges.

But yeah those are Tiese and Ronye's descendants 7 generations past.

And they know about all of them because Kirito/Asuna were literally a King and Queen those 300 or whatever years, and they have art and statues of them, Eugeo, and Alice in the palace. Eugeo was just artistic license.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

In the vacuum of space you sneeze

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
tbf he's basically a wizard, logic has no place here

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That didn't feel like an ending at all. There was all kinds of setup this episode and last episode and then it just stopped. My expectations were low but it managed to dig an enormous network of tunnels underneath them.

Actually I'm disappointed because it felt like the story that's about to start (protecting underworld and burgeoning AIs from the real world) is way more interesting than the entire Underworld War.

But since this is SAO it can't be as cool as I'm imagining since everything needs to be solved by VR sword fights in the end.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 20, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

But yeah those are Tiese and Ronye's descendants 7 generations past.

And they know about all of them because Kirito/Asuna were literally a King and Queen those 300 or whatever years, and they have art and statues of them, Eugeo, and Alice in the palace. Eugeo was just artistic license.

Very convenient that they grew up to be dead ringers for their great-great-great-great-great-grandmas. And yeah not-Tiese tearing up seeing ghost Eugeo is very misleading.

quote:

You should read the LN's, the Anime extremely skips all of Reiki's dumb and fun game mechanic explanations and implementations, and is much weaker for it, and skips most of the like actual fun stuff around the edges.

Basically what I've learned over the course of this series, or especially specifically WoU part 2 is that this show needed to be even longer to flesh out all its poo poo. Kinda crazy to think 4 cours was too short but still. Alternately maybe they should've taken their artistic license even further and just had Eugeo (or another character) go full Speedwagon and explain everything Kirito's doing in extreme detail as it happens.

Prior seasons have mostly worked without all the explanations though, which leads me to think this whole arc was doomed from the start. They established a format/feel over two whole other shows and they tried to stick with it for an arc that clearly demanded something different.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Much like real life MMOs reading this thread (and previous SAO threads) has been way more entertaining than actually trying watch this dumb poo poo and for that I thank you.

Give us Gun Gale Online Season 2 you cowards!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess we're just dropping every plot point the previous episode setup, huh? Nice.

What a horrendous mess of an episode that only ends a horrendous mess of a season. Even for SAO standards, this was bad, and those aren't exactly high standards to begin with. And then they end it with a message that can't make anyone happy after all of this, it just gives us fear of what's to come.

At least Progressive was slightly better from what I remember of the manga, so maybe that won't be as bad?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I just finished reading "Epilogue" (エピローグ, Epirōgu) and "Prologue III" (プロローグ III, Purorōgu III) from the Alicization Lasting fan translations and the anime covers all the points they do in more or less the same order... it's just that they glossed over a lot of the detail and context setting that would explain what was happening.

Not having inner monologues hurts lol. It also ends in the same abrupt way as the show does.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
What's the deal with Yui? Isn't she a general AI? Doesn't she have a fluctlight?
Not that I have any great investment at this point, I just wondered.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Disconnecticus posted:

What's the deal with Yui? Isn't she a general AI? Doesn't she have a fluctlight?
Not that I have any great investment at this point, I just wondered.

Yui is a top down AI, she is programmed. She does not have a fluctlight or soul.

w00tazn posted:

I just finished reading "Epilogue" (エピローグ, Epirōgu) and "Prologue III" (プロローグ III, Purorōgu III) from the Alicization Lasting fan translations and the anime covers all the points they do in more or less the same order... it's just that they glossed over a lot of the detail and context setting that would explain what was happening.

Not having inner monologues hurts lol. It also ends in the same abrupt way as the show does.

Yeah, almost anything that people are confused about is explained in the novels via the internal monologue and text. It might still be dumb, but it's very much explained.

Reiki relies on that poo poo like a crutch, and the anime is just like, "nah, gently caress that, not needed"

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 21, 2020

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkvg_uWOc4

I enjoy how they have Yui still filling her original role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"That's absurd!

Yes, but that is also what happened."

That got more of a laugh out of me than it should have.