Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kirito probably assumed that Sacred Arts are just whatever the gently caress they call magic in this world.

He did not expect these NPC's to have access to system level tools. And for that to be their magic system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexo posted:

Kirito probably assumed that Sacred Arts are just whatever the gently caress they call magic in this world.

He did not expect these NPC's to have access to system level tools. And for that to be their magic system.

Yeah, I can't blame Kirito for not asking for explanations here; if I heard "sacred arts" in a videogame, my first thought would definitely be "yeah, magic". That it went beyond magic was a surprise, and rightly so, because why the hell would you give AI that kind of ability, and most importantly: this is a videogame, why wouldn't you dress it up in something that fits the narrative and world?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If they've been in this world for several hundred subjective years, they might have started figuring out the "magic" on their own.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nice fight animation, though it leaned too heavily on closeups.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I was impressed they even let Kirito get injured, although it didn't seem to slow him down any after the initial hit. Also, that's pretty crappy healing magic if all it does is let you shuffle HP around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm surprised they already cut the tree down, since I thought readers had said it took a long time in the LN's?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm obviously not gonna do a total series rewatch to compare, but I think that one fight scene was prettier/better animated than everything else in SAO thus far. I think it helped that there was comparatively little sword skills being thrown around so it looked like a real sword fight instead of a lightsaber battle full of stereotype anime finishing moves. Although as long as they are doing stereotype finishing moves, I'm kinda glad they have names now, since unless I'm totally forgetting the only definition of a sword skill in SAO/ALO was "sword glows, cuts poo poo harder", and passive abilities like dual wielding.

Also I'm kinda surprised at how the tree chopping went down. I totally expected that Kirito would level up and be able to use the sword, then take the tree down in one shot, but it was nice that they actually let Eugeo level up too then get the final blow himself and decide to be a swordsman.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raxivace posted:

I'm surprised they already cut the tree down, since I thought readers had said it took a long time in the LN's?

The anime essentially turned the Eugeo training into a montage. And went through the Goblin stuff faster and the post tree cutting stuff too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TwoPair posted:

I'm obviously not gonna do a total series rewatch to compare, but I think that one fight scene was prettier/better animated than everything else in SAO thus far. I think it helped that there was comparatively little sword skills being thrown around so it looked like a real sword fight instead of a lightsaber battle full of stereotype anime finishing moves. Although as long as they are doing stereotype finishing moves, I'm kinda glad they have names now, since unless I'm totally forgetting the only definition of a sword skill in SAO/ALO was "sword glows, cuts poo poo harder", and passive abilities like dual wielding.

The novels usually went into more detail about the MMO side of the series, including technique names and whatnot, but until now all of that got cut which made it feel like a generic isekai instead of a generic isekai with a clear setting. This adaptation seems to be putting far more effort into keeping the MMO stuff (I guess, I didn't read past the first arc so I'm not sure how it develops later) which helps the feeling of this being a game a lot.

The battle this week was pretty neat and Eugeo learning sword skills then cutting the tree was very satisfying. Definitely the most enjoyable episode so far.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
It was nice to see Kirito have a true panic moment when he realized he might actually die

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I laughed when Eugeo was doing his big "born on the same day, we swore to die on the same day" speech.
Was it in a peach garden, by any chance? Who's Zhang Fei in this scenario?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm amused by how hilariously morally bankrupt the company behind this game is being depicted as.

"Yeah we took a *huge* number of terminal babies and scanned their brains into our MMO and then made them live an accelerated life inside it as MMO NPCs, including (possibly, since Kirito mentioned it) as MMO monsters."

I'm sure the anime will brush over it since judging by the OP the company isn't meant to be antagonists/villains but it still makes me laugh.

Glad to see they gave Eugeo some screentime and significance to chopping down the demon tree. Its still amusing that the answer to the 6-generation tree of chopping is "use a sword idiot" but atleast they didn't make it a Kirito circlejerk entirely

From the OP it seems likely that Alice is something "special" even in comparison to baby brain print NPCs. Maybe a fully sentient AI (for whatever value that has in a world that already had Yui)?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Conot posted:

I'm amused by how hilariously morally bankrupt the company behind this game is being depicted as.

"Yeah we took a *huge* number of terminal babies and scanned their brains into our MMO and then made them live an accelerated life inside it as MMO NPCs, including (possibly, since Kirito mentioned it) as MMO monsters."

I'm sure the anime will brush over it since judging by the OP the company isn't meant to be antagonists/villains but it still makes me laugh.

I got the impression that it was an experiment, not a game. "What if we could simulate hundreds of years of human history whenever we wanted? We could run control experiments on the economy!" It's a sociologist's wet dream. It only has the MMO fixtures for now because it's still in the prototyping phase or whatever.

It would be super super dumb if they actually thought of this as a game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Clarste posted:

I got the impression that it was an experiment, not a game. "What if we could simulate hundreds of years of human history whenever we wanted? We could run control experiments on the economy!" It's a sociologist's wet dream. It only has the MMO fixtures for now because it's still in the prototyping phase or whatever.

It would be super super dumb if they actually thought of this as a game.

Kirito outright said that he didn't think the Soul...thingy...poo poo, the current system was made for gaming. I think he speculated it was to understand how souls work, though I don't fully remember, nonetheless he was clear in how he did not think this technology was made for a game, in which case Underworld likely exists entirely as a test simulation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That still doesn't make a lot of sense with how gamified everything in the simulation is, but I'll let it pass because Kawahara is a bad writer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Setting up with game-like systems could make for easier test-cases during development, perhaps. Also, if there are flaws/escape hatches like the magic/"magic" of System Call built in, something inside will probably discover it and eventually try to break out of the matrix.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well the OP shows the SAO server from Ordinal Scale sitting around. Granted, it shows a ton of stuff from Ordinal Scale and prior seasons that probably won't factor into this series at all, but given that everything post-SAO always seems to tie back to SAO somehow, I wouldn't be shocked one bit if they reveal that Underworld was built using the same underlying systems from Computer God Kayaba's MMO egg and that's why it has stuff like sword skills and other game stuff.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 30, 2018

alr
May 14, 2009
Spoilers for the end of the Ordinal Scale movie, in case you haven't seen it yet - after the credits, there's a short bit where Kikuoka introduces the professor to "Rath", which had a picture on the screen of a white city that looks the same as the city in the opening theme of this series. He mentions he's seen as far as a "Top down AI can go" or something like that. If a top down AI is a traditional AI that learns through traditional means like Yui, then I'd guess they're cloning baby souls to make AIs that learn like humans, over a period of a lifetime? We've already had a villain that worked in a hospital from the Death Gun thing, maybe this originated from him scanning babby brains at birth and uploading a copy straight to the matrix or something

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As a note here, there's always going to be some issues matching up the Ordinal Scale movie and Alicization, for the simple reason that when it came to the LNs they're actually reversed in terms of timeline. They tweaked some details in order to shoehorn the movie in beforehand (for marketing and the like), but there are always going to be discrepancies when you do something like this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
My favorite part of SAO is that Reki Kawahara himself said Klein is his favorite character and he wanted to use him more but he knew the fans were there for the girls.

My last favorite part of SAO is that Kirito is an insufferable dickhead whom I want to see punched, yet it never happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Well the OP shows the SAO server from Ordinal Scale sitting around. Granted, it shows a ton of stuff from Ordinal Scale and prior seasons that probably won't factor into this series at all, but given that everything post-SAO always seems to tie back to SAO somehow, I wouldn't be shocked one bit if they reveal that Underworld was built using the same underlying systems from Computer God Kayaba's MMO egg and that's why it has stuff like sword skills and other game stuff.

All VR worlds that exist in that universe now are based off of Video Game Hitler's <<Seed>>

The Original SAO Server does matter, I dunno if they are gonna put any Ordinal Scale stuff in, but the OG SAO stuff does come back up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cuntellectual posted:

My favorite part of SAO is that Reki Kawahara himself said Klein is his favorite character and he wanted to use him more but he knew the fans were there for the girls.

My last favorite part of SAO is that Kirito is an insufferable dickhead whom I want to see punched, yet it never happens.

He got sliced and kicked, that counts, right?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
he also went into some form of cardiac arrest so like he's not invincible

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

I'm probably a weirdo but I actually like the Kirito/Asuna scenes throughout the franchise. They come across as quiet & nice without being too showy.

This is how I feel, I really enjoy their relationship a lot. I thinks it's well written as 2 people who very much love each other and are very comfortable and pleased to be together in general pretty much like an older married couple. I'm going to put it down to weird time perceptions in the original SAO.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think that would be fine if there wasn't a harem pining for Kirito.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Conot posted:

Glad to see they gave Eugeo some screentime and significance to chopping down the demon tree. Its still amusing that the answer to the 6-generation tree of chopping is "use a sword idiot" but atleast they didn't make it a Kirito circlejerk entirely

From the OP it seems likely that Alice is something "special" even in comparison to baby brain print NPCs. Maybe a fully sentient AI (for whatever value that has in a world that already had Yui)?

i dont think the show's made a point of whether everyone is a dead baby or whatever the weird logic goons are toting about it, seems like a bit of a hot take to immediately assume all that isn'ti t

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Futaba Anzu posted:

i dont think the show's made a point of whether everyone is a dead baby or whatever the weird logic goons are toting about it, seems like a bit of a hot take to immediately assume all that isn'ti t

The dead baby ghost thing is a direct quote from Kirito. Whether he's right or not nobody has any clue but since Kirito is always right nobody is questioning it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since i skipped half of s1 and all of s2 i'm not cynical enough to think he's 100% right

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
This episode has entered the realm of self parody. Whenever Kirito is not on screen someone is saying, "Where's Kirito?".

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
weird that kirito’s girlfriend is wondering where her hospitalized boyfriend is

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also his cousin he lived with for most of his life lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well so far this is my favorite episode yet. Since I find Kirito the least interesting member of the crew, it was nice to see everyone else get in on this mission*. I kind of wished they'd dragged out the real world search for Kirito a little longer though. It could have been more of a fun mystery trying to figure out where he'd been, or realizing that Kikuoka was up to no good**, or convincing Koujiro to get in on this whole scheme (or even how they planned it, I mean did Asuna fly to California just to then pose as Koujiro's assistant? Were her parents just totally cool with that?). Asuna could've maybe stayed in disguise a little longer since it seems pretty dumb to lose your disguise not 5 minutes after getting past a whole bunch of guards, it's not like the guards have even been locked out. I mean we the audience all know from the OP that he's floating out on Mother Base the Turtle Shell but I feel like it should've been a much bigger reveal for the characters in-show. I guess this just seemed more interesting since we know the characters, whereas back in Underworld, Eugeo's still comparatively a blank slate.

I wonder what Kikuoka's long term plan for keeping people from seeing Kirito was. I mean, he knows the guy has a whole bunch of people who will want to visit him. Sure, for a while the hospital staff could lie to keep Asuna and Suguha out but sooner or later they'd be having to deal with a pissed off Mama Kirigaya and they can't bluff forever.

lollin pretty hard at Kikuoka just chillin in his casual friday robe though.

*although I really hope any future planning scenes or indeed any scenes with the rest of the SAO crew take place in the real world or GGO as I hate basically everyone's ALO avatars.
**why do they automatically think he's shady though? I mean yeah he works in the government, but so far in his few appearances in the series he's done nothing but be straightforward/helpful to everyone.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Ok so five episodes in and honestly they’ve all been at least decent imo. Other than Yui (ughhh), it feels like all the lovely SAO cliches have been at least scaled back a bit.

“Govt digitizes dead babies to run virtual simulations” is a loving amazing hook but so was “VR MMO that kills you IRL”

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I remember in the novels they talked for quite a bit before Asuna got rid of her disguise. They probably wanted to end the episode on that so they moved it forward.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's been a while since I've watched the original series, is this the first time we've seen either of Kirito's parents?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kazy posted:

It's been a while since I've watched the original series, is this the first time we've seen either of Kirito's parents?

I think she "showed up" as an off-screen voice in the Fairy Dance arc (maybe in a flashback?) to deliver some exposition about how Kirito and Suguha aren't siblings, just cousins, so like, thanks for that one, Mrs. K. :v:

But yes, first (or mayyyybe second) time in the flesh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ e: Yeah, basically that. ^^^^

KiritoKazuto's Mom showed up a bit in Fairy Dance where, even though he's been living with them all his life, he still figured out he's adopted because... he found the documents on the internet/something about not looking exactly like either of them? I think they changed the reason between the novels and the anime, but Midori told Sugu that Kazuto was her cousin during the SAO situation due to the very real risk of him potentially dying. They were gonna tell Sugu the truth once she started high school anyway.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I am an episode behind on the slayer of goblins, and looking at the show on its own merits, I have concluded that this is a show by and for stupid people who think they are smarter than they are.

How did they resolve the big ogre boss fight? By building a peasant railgun, or putting the exit point of your town portal scroll in a hazardous location. And because he is a GM PC completely in love with himself, no one was there to go "okay, you may fire your peasant railgun: it explodes sending bone shrapnel flying everywhere, shredding the adventuring party to ribbons." As you would expect if someone were really stupid enough to put the exit point of their portal scroll at the bottom of the ocean and expect to use it to resolve a boss encounter.

I don't even care if it's fascist or not, it's just loving stupid.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking you're in the wrong thread, bud. Season Thread is right here. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Leathal posted:

Ok so five episodes in and honestly they’ve all been at least decent imo. Other than Yui (ughhh), it feels like all the lovely SAO cliches have been at least scaled back a bit.
The series really doesn't need Yui and her presence is so weird.

That's all I could think about during the end of episode 5.

"I know someone's who's very good at hacking!"
"Who?"
"Uh, a super AI that me and my boyfriend found in a video game and made our daughter who is now a fairy who lives in our VR goggles."