Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

1st AD posted:

I’m pretty sure ever since The Mandalorian they are now using practical props for the lightsabers, so no or very little CGI at all.
Weren't they using practical versions on the sequels as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

No Luck Needed posted:

great more jedi dressed like they are in a desert. 1000 years of the same outfight, never change star wars

The only jedi I can think of who never wore the traditional bathrobe, was Aayla Secura.

Bathrobe or tits out tummy top. Those are your two choices as a jedi.

e: and that one weird hippy guy whose name I can never remember.

ee: turns out just searching for "jedi hippy" gives you the immediate result - Quinlan Vos.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only cameo I wouldn't roll my eyes at would be R2 and 3PO in the background having some separate adventure. It would be stupid, but the right kind of stupid. Leave it up to some EU writer to figure out how 3PO lost his skin and ended up on Tatoonie and R2 wound up on a royal Naboo ship 100 years later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

The only cameo I wouldn't roll my eyes at would be R2 and 3PO in the background having some separate adventure. It would be stupid, but the right kind of stupid. Leave it up to some EU writer to figure out how 3PO lost his skin and ended up on Tatoonie and R2 wound up on a royal Naboo ship 100 years later.

In Legends 3PO was over a century old by the time of the OT, and there's one reference he makes in TCW which gets placed before he showed up on Tatooine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Maybe they will make him Baby Master Yoda to rake in the cash.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yoda in this show is like 700-800 instead of 900 lol

This show is set only like 100/150 years before TPM

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dexo posted:

Yoda in this show is like 700-800 instead of 900 lol

This show is set only like 100/150 years before TPM

To be fair we don't know when they hit their growth spurt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That means they could squeeze in a tie-in to Young Jedi Adventures!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Weren't they using practical versions on the sequels as well?

Yes but they still used some kind of post work on the blades to make them look more…glowy as if they were pulsing with energy and not just a plastic light up tube.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
They use practical lit sabers to get good clashes and local lighting that doesnt need to be added in post. They obviously use CGI after the fact but that will occur whether its just a stick or if its a battle saber or whatever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nope, sorry, YJA takes place before the fall of Starlight Beacon, which means it's sometime between like 232 BBY and 230 BBY. so probably like 100 years before Acolyte.

Those poor kids probably all died, killed by the Nihil rip, or were otherwise pressed into combat quickly due to the Guardian protocols being enacted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If it's set about 100 years prior, I have a prediction; The Acolyte will either be Sheev's mother, or we actually see Baby Sheev Palpatine at the end as the Big Post-Credit Stinger.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's like 50-60 years too early IIRC

I'm betting it's gonna involve Plageius, probably not Sheev, unless they have a time jump. Although lmao if we end up on Naboo and meet his parents or some poo poo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Unlikely, since that's set before the fall of Starlight Beacon and this is 100 years later

that...uh...sure is a poster

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Unlikely, since that's set before the fall of Starlight Beacon and this is 100 years later

People can live to over 100 in Star Wars.

We could technically get a Chewie cameo.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People can live to over 100 in Star Wars.

We could technically get a Chewie cameo.

They can, but if Sheev ages as fast as everybody else in the franchise, he's only like 70 tops.

Or maybe that's just people who grow up on Tatooine. Has anybody tested that sand for asbestos?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Definitely not using the Volume for every outdoors shot, lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yo nerds, new Best Batch is out

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really don't think the Volume is the enemy, they're just kind of rear end at cinematography across the board. Nothing about that trailer made me go "wow I'm so glad they're using real sets".

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vinylshadow posted:

That tilted horizon is gently infuriating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Parkingtigers posted:

The planet has a 100 mile diameter

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rochallor posted:

They can, but if Sheev ages as fast as everybody else in the franchise, he's only like 70 tops.

Palps was born 84 years before A New Hope

Used to be two years before the end the High Republic, which ended 82BBY until they once again shuffled the dates around to make it an even 100, so Acolyte is now literally set at the end of the High Republic era rather than its twilight years

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Parkingtigers posted:

The horizon isn't tilted, it's an optical illusion caused by the rock formation on the left.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kesper North posted:

Hope I can see what's going on in this episode.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The horizon isn't tilted, it's an optical illusion caused by the rock formation on the left.

I swear to god, I thought you were loving with me. You're right though. And I totally didn't save the photo and open it up in editing software to check you weren't loving with me, I promise.

That optical illusion inducing horizon is gently infuriating.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kesper North posted:

Space Airboats and space alligators had me thinking of that one episode of Archer the entire time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hope I can see what's going on in this episode.

For gently caress's sake.

Three seasons, not one problem. Last two episodes: the visual equivalent of Christopher Nolan's sound mixing.

edit: went back and opened a bunch of old episodes to see if my equipment had somehow changed for the worse in the last couple years. Nope, all the other episodes are still fine to watch. Just the last two, dark as balls.

Season started off so pretty, too. All the saturated colour and shadow made a lot of scenes some of the prettiest of any Star Wars animated show ever made.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 20, 2024

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Space Airboats and space alligators had me thinking of that one episode of Archer the entire time.

The bounty target was such a cool little (well, "little") freak, I can't wait to hear the AMCA crew reacting to him in 5 years

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am guessing the M-Count hunt is gonna lead us to Ventriss in the next episode.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Back to Jakkuooine we go!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Vinylshadow posted:

The blood/lightsaber poster is so much better than this one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vinylshadow posted:

Yeah, seriously, that's probably the worst poster for anything I've ever seen. Might as well be stock imagery.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Darth TNT posted:

Back to Jakkuooine we go!

That's water, not sand.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

First kinda bad episode of the season from Bad Batch. Just didn't care what was happening, and while I'm not usually one to complain about the show being too dark to see anything, holy poo poo I could barely see anything that was happening in that fight near the end. Hopefully it's back on track next week with the setup at the end of this week.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I found Crosshair and Omega touching. He's really gonna open up.

Then die a horrible death after he's redeemed. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

I found Crosshair and Omega touching. He's really gonna open up.

Then die a horrible death after he's redeemed. :(

That's true, that part was kinda nice. It was just also a minor part of the episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omega’s the only one that’s pretty much guaranteed to be making it out of this alive (maybe Hunter and Wrecker depending)

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Dexo posted:

Huh apparently they didn't use the volume at all.

Thank jebus, i'm starting to hate the volume.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Larryb posted:

Omega’s the only one that’s pretty much guaranteed to be making it out of this alive (maybe Hunter and Wrecker depending)

Wrecker will survive so they can retcon he was the demolitions expert who rigged the charges to blow up the shield generator at the Battle of Endor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

Wrecker will survive so they can retcon he was the demolitions expert who rigged the charges to blow up the shield generator at the Battle of Endor.

I'm okay with this.