Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
What is your list of software worth paying for?
sometimes free alternatives are present, but I ask about software that you think it is a good value for money
Games not included
Windows, MAC, ios, Android whatever
any software type/category

for me:
windows
office
Adobe Acrobat pro
imindmap
Scrivener
scapple
goalscape
endnote
Kelk 2013 (Arabic Calligraphy software)
Plex lifetime
mailbird
resilio sync
internet download manager
simple diagram (easy diagramming software)
Biovinci
iroha note + (notes cards software)
imapping (data organization software)

I think it will be useful to know some new software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I actually paid for mIRC!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I paid for WinRAR and switched to 7zip like a year later. My whole work flow is free software, Google apps and open source stuff work really well for what I do. They marketed Windows 8 so badly, but I probably would have bought that if I didn't find out about it like 2 months before 10 was released.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Goon posted:

I actually paid for mIRC!
I also bought xchat irc client (easier than mIRC)

craig588 posted:

I paid for WinRAR and switched to 7zip like a year later. My whole work flow is free software, Google apps and open source stuff work really well for what I do. They marketed Windows 8 so badly, but I probably would have bought that if I didn't find out about it like 2 months before 10 was released.
I may one day buy winrar but currently, I am not using it frequently

Ahmed fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 6, 2018

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
double post

Ahmed fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 6, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
MalWareBytes Pro is worth buying for that relative who keeping downloading stuff by mistake.

Lightroom for photo editing if you buy the standalone license.

Office 2016

Apart from that, I am struggling as so much free stuff is better written than the expensive stuff.

E: I suppose buying a Synology NAS with its own OS counts as it is so much easier than trying to make your own.

spog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 7, 2018

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm ignoring games as 'software' here, across all devices.

On desktop, I've purchased Office through the Home Use Program. I've also purchased Windows (long ago, Win7? Maybe even educationally? and just upgraded it to 10).

On the mobile front, I've purchased several apps for QoL. I got LogMeIn when it was called LogMeIn Ignition when it was a flat $25 for life before it became a subscription service, and I'm grandfathered in on that. I use that to save myself the ~45 minute drive to my parents' place when janitoring services are required, as well as to manage my home PC on rare occasions.

I've also purchased a VPN app (Shadowrocket). It has noticeably better compatibility to the free alternative, and critically has a feature where it'll allow you to tell it to auto-connect the VPN only when on certain types of networks (wifi or mobile). I use that + a Streisand instance on a $3.50/mo Vultr instance to circumvent the GFW when I'm in China for work.

Besides that, I rarely find myself needing more functionality than free apps offer. I will consider niche stuff, such as some audio DAW software, if I can find specific needs beyond what Free software offers, but so often it covers me well enough that I just don't need to bother.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

MalWareBytes Pro is worth buying for that relative who keeping downloading stuff by mistake.
my brother bought me lifetime license of malwarebytes ages ago, thanks for reminding me about it

Nam Taf posted:

I got LogMeIn when it was called LogMeIn Ignition when it was a flat $25 for life before it became a subscription service, and I'm grandfathered in on that. I use that to save myself the ~45 minute drive to my parents' place when janitoring services are required, as well as to manage my home PC on rare occasions.
I liked the old gray Hamachi before it becomes logmein

Ahmed fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 7, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I used to consider paying for winrar like a couple of goons here, but .rar files seem less common than they used to be. I guess with the advent of spotify, netflix, steam, automatic driver updates and so on, the chance to have to download an individual file is very uncommon for the average casual user. I used to download music, demos, films in .rar files all the time, now it's been years since I last did that.

Udarnik
May 14, 2006

Overfulfilling his production quotas since 1995.
Fun Shoe
Limiting myself to Windows software I would say the software that I’ve paid for and consider worth the money:

WinRAR - a fast, cross-platform archiver that is able to embed a recovery record and auto-split large archives into multiple files. I use this to backup old work files.

EmEditor - a flexible text editor that can handle large files, is fast, and has sensible configuration settings.

FlashFXP - an SFTP/FTP client. Because it is a native Windows application it looks better than FileZilla and has a nice UI.

Bvckup 2 - a pretty slick and simple backup utility. Faster than the robocopy scripts that I’ve used to do the same thing.

dBpoweramp - if you still manage music files this is the nicest way to batch convert between formats on Windows.

mIRC - I don’t use this anymore, but I’ve paid for it. If IRC on Windows is still your thing...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Windows 7 Pro and Unity 3d. The rest is free.
Oh and games.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

Udarnik posted:

Bvckup 2 - a pretty slick and simple backup utility. Faster than the robocopy scripts that I’ve used to do the same thing.
I liked this and I may buy it, simple and effective thank you.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
On PC:
- Sublime Text 3 - $80 text editor, makes digging through large code bases much more pleasant
- Start8 / Start10 - Makes your start menu more like Windows 7. I have a license for every machine
- Xpadder - Assign keyboard macros to your gamepad. Great for repetitive tasks when you're too lazy to learn AutoHotKey

On Android:
- Keepass2Android - Android Keepass client that actually works with web-hosted KeePass files (its actually free but every year the app asks you to buy the dev a beer for Octoberfest and I always do it)
- Plex

I get most of my software free with educational licensing and host my own cloud service stuff with a Synology NAS that has its own Evernote clone, etc. Thanks to Windows license grandfathering pirated installs, I'm now 100% legit.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I used to consider paying for winrar like a couple of goons here, but .rar files seem less common than they used to be.

7-Zip my dude

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I've considered trying Enmotus' Fuzedrive to get some tiered storage going. (The basic version of this software is free for anyone with a newer AMD motherboard in the form of StoreMi.)
However it's fairly limited and the dream of turning all my drives into just two drive letters(a 2fast2furious drive and a merely gotta go fast drive) is not achievable. I haven't run out of space on my system drive yet so I haven't considered it very hard. The setup I had envisioned was to have my fast nvme drive get expanded with various other cheaper SSDs I have, and also add some SSD speed to my spinning rust.
The big limitation the software have is it only works on exactly two physical drives. I'd like it to do more.

There is also PrimoCache as an "alternative", although caching is fundamentally different from tiered storage. I'd only consider to cache some spinning rust with a spare SSD that is lying around. Not interesting enough to buy, I don't think. There is a trial version I haven't tried though.

AgentCow007 posted:

7-Zip my dude
Yeah man. Besides you could just click past the nagging popup in WinRAR and use that forever.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
7-zip, VLC, Libre Office, FileZilla, Gimp, Audacity, HWinfo64, CPU-Z, Cinebench... it's all free.

DRAGON BALL FighterZ however, was 60 Euro. And worth every cent.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If you went to college and didn't learn LaTeX smh

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've paid for Synergy (KVM sharing) since i use multiple PCs on one desk often.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I thought about buying Synergy for my laptop, but my Logitech mouse on the desktop already does most of what the app can do so I haven't bothered.

I did buy Displayfusion for Windows 7; Although it has limited utility in Windows 10, there's still some useful status bar injections that it can handle.

I also bought Faststone Capture for screencapping scrolling windows, and the editor functions are very useful for adding notes and highlighting to standard captures.

Start10 because I gave the new start menu a shot until it stopped opening unless I manually crashed and restarted Explorer every few days.

Adobe apps and Office 2016 for work and editing PDFs, etc.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
I bought gsyncit so that my exchange calendar and Gmail calendar synced with each other. It was worth it so that I could look at one calendar and not forget stuff.

I also bought endnote. It still sucks, just less so than other options.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I just use classicstart. No way im paying for my start menu.

Totally paid for win10, office 2016, simplify3d.... but that's about it

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i paid for BeOS. Nothing after that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
iStatMenus for MacOS. Very slick integrated load/temp/bandwidth/weather etc in the top bar

CaptureOne Sony edition or Luminar for photo editing, since Adobe subscription is too expensive for my amateur-rear end self

blogo
Oct 1, 2004
Office 360 familiy
Faststone Maxview - Super simple and fast image viewer
Bitwarden - Open source online password manager, bought it mainly to support development

On the phone i bought:
Telefonterror (phone number blocker for my country)
Timesheet - Simple time tracker
Nova Launcher
KORG Kaossilator

blogo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 10, 2018

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
I want to add MailBird (a desktop email client). if you have multiple email accounts, this is a great tool.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Things I pay for:

Reason - DAW, it's good at DAW things.
Fruity Loops - it's also good at DAW things, but has different strengths.
Start10 - Microsoft can't make a functional start menu, so I have to pay someone that can.
Office - It's good at office things.

Things I would like to pay for

Adobe Photoshop - I grew up pirating this as a kid. I'm now at a point where I am able and willing to but a license and they won't sell me one. I'm not paying monthly for software unless it's a service. I use GIMP instead these days.

A no nonsense basic video editor - Someone sell me a video editor where I don't have to deal with codecs or third party anything. I want an editor that does for editing what VLC does for playback.

Things I will not pay for

Software with no service that wants to charge me per month. gently caress off with that garbage.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Things I pay for:

Start10 - Microsoft can't make a functional start menu, so I have to pay someone that can.

Adobe Photoshop - I grew up pirating this as a kid. I'm now at a point where I am able and willing to but a license and they won't sell me one. I'm not paying monthly for software unless it's a service. I use GIMP instead these days.

A no nonsense basic video editor - Someone sell me a video editor where I don't have to deal with codecs or third party anything. I want an editor that does for editing what VLC does for playback.

Software with no service that wants to charge me per month. gently caress off with that garbage.

You could try Blender for video editing.

It is what I started using when Autodesk did not want me to sell me a license.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Windows, photoshop, premiere, sublime, eaglecad, gamemaker pro and probably some other small stuff.

Happy with all of them.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Things I pay for:

Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer are pretty decent, and are a one time purchase.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Oh god yes, gently caress you and your monthly fees.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I did manage to purchase a license for Adobe Lightroom with a one-time fee three or four years ago. The option was extremely hard to find but it was there. Still works, haven't regretted it so far, and I'm long past the point where I would've paid more for a subscription.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheFluff posted:

I did manage to purchase a license for Adobe Lightroom with a one-time fee three or four years ago. The option was extremely hard to find but it was there. Still works, haven't regretted it so far, and I'm long past the point where I would've paid more for a subscription.

It's still available as a one-time purchase

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
there is also Wallpaper Engine from Steam, a nice wallpaper software.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Sounds stupid, but Camtasia Studio is stupid simple, has preset Youtube export settings and is the simplest video editor I have used.

Instead of WinRar, get ExtractNow. I will never use anything else, best file unzip program ever. Free but so good I have donated.

I paid for:

Windows:
Microsoft Office 2016 via HUP
Windows 7 -> 10
Bootstrap Studio - good for mobile friendly web sites

Android:
Smart Audiobook Player (autorewinds audiobook based on time since last played, best player ever)
Plex - $5/ device
AndFTPpro - best Android FTP client imo
Strelok+ - ballistic calc
FoxFi - tethering over wifi, USB or bluetooth for those whose plan doesnt support

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Windows - the world’s most advanced desktop operation system. If you’re used to using Linux it’s kinda like that, but everything works better. One of the best software purchases out there imho.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
SecureCRT
VMWare Workstation

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

fart simpson posted:

Windows - the world’s most advanced desktop operation system. If you’re used to using Linux it’s kinda like that, but everything works better. One of the best software purchases out there imho.

Linux is better than Windows, and it's open source and free (FOSS)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Mofabio posted:

Linux is better than Windows, and it's open source and free (FOSS)
Wrong forum, sonny

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
Black Friday is coming soon any more recommendations?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

SnagIt. It does amazing things for a cheap app to take screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
ProWritingAid lifetime 50% off
https://prowritingaid.com/en/App/Purchase
a superb Grammarly alternative

• Locked thread