Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Meeple posted:

I'm not sure if I'll actually have time to sculpt over the next few weeks, but I'd like to give it a try. Inspiration me!

Here is your inspiration: now go forth and sculpt!

Inspiration #4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Awesome, got my pics.
Gonna do a few sketches to figure out a plan.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Sketched out my first idea.

Swashbuckler wolf taking off running, smoking his pipe.

Hope to come up with a couple more.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I decided to try and merge the lady knight with the tired old horseman and go for some kind of battle-worn female knight. So far I have discovered that heads are really hard.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Meeple posted:

I decided to try and merge the lady knight with the tired old horseman and go for some kind of battle-worn female knight. So far I have discovered that heads are really hard.

“Heads and faces are hard” is basically a universal tenant of artistic work in general. Looking pretty good so far!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hedningen posted:

Just not enough time, I’m guessing? Otherwise, it’s mostly just letting creativity flow - every sculpt teaches you a little more, and there’s always more to learn. I’m still a total beginner, so encouraging people to try their hand.

Also, I’m torn if I should participate in a non-participatory context: if anyone wants to toss out some random images, I’d love to show that I’m not just convincing y’all to try weird stuff that I’m unwilling to do.

I have a few albums prepped if anyone else wants in.

Yeah just time sadly! I might catch up and try some stuff later in the year if things quieten down.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

TTerrible posted:

Yeah just time sadly! I might catch up and try some stuff later in the year if things quieten down.

Absolutely happens. Glad you’re still interested, though: sculpting is really fun.

In other news: thanks to getting this little contest going, I’m trying to do some quick sculpts myself to keep loose and not obsess too much over detail. Here’s my in-progress goblin for a skirmish game I’m developing that actually has a proper playtest date set.

He’s weird, portly, and misshapen, which honestly is pretty decent for a goblin. Gotta decide if I’m gonna leave him topless or add more clothing.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Unfortunately I just found the thread and doubt I’ll be able to participate in the event but everything in here has been really cool so far. I never even considered sculpting my own miniatures!

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Found some more time, so progress happened.

Made some sketches and googled the poo poo out of figure drawing references to try and get proportions right.

Broke a lot of paperclips from over-bending them until I got an armature that mostly works. I'll use plastic rod for the spear because I had some handy.

Sculpting! Chainmail is hard but the tip of a really cheap model file turns out to be the right size.

More sculpting! The breastplate took me so many tries to get a shape I liked.

I'm going to cover most of her right side with a cloak so I've not done much detail there. Not sure yet how I'll do a huge tower shield - might just heat-bend some plasticard and call it a day.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Meeple posted:

Found some more time, so progress happened.

Made some sketches and googled the poo poo out of figure drawing references to try and get proportions right.

Broke a lot of paperclips from over-bending them until I got an armature that mostly works. I'll use plastic rod for the spear because I had some handy.

Sculpting! Chainmail is hard but the tip of a really cheap model file turns out to be the right size.

More sculpting! The breastplate took me so many tries to get a shape I liked.

I'm going to cover most of her right side with a cloak so I've not done much detail there. Not sure yet how I'll do a huge tower shield - might just heat-bend some plasticard and call it a day.

Awesome stuff!

Plasticard works just fine. Another option is cutting a sheet of putty after rolling it out, coating an appropriately-curved template in vaseline, and laying it on there to dry.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not going to get anything done on the challenge. I'm starting a new job, and moving, so I'm throwing in the towel before everything starts to annoy me.
I'll still try to do *something*, but not with any kind of timeframe.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to get anything done on the challenge. I'm starting a new job, and moving, so I'm throwing in the towel before everything starts to annoy me.
I'll still try to do *something*, but not with any kind of timeframe.
Same for me. I'll keep it in mind since I've already got an idea, but I'm not gonna be able to model anything for at least 3 weeks.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

No worries at all. I’m just trying to be encouraging and figured random, decidedly-non-fabulous prizes would be a good way to encourage people.

Sculpt, share, and discuss! It’s cool to see how people go about sculpting here.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Doing my bit by spamming you up with my wip shots I guess. A couple more lunches of sculpting this week.

Added some more chainmail to the front and a bracer to hide my terrible cloth work. Started on leg armour, though I'm not convinced I like it.

Fleshed out the back and cloth around the thighs as I realised it was looking way too skinny. Also some straps.

I need to either do cloth and then immediately let it dry or learn to be way, way more careful with how I hold the figure. I squashed the folds on the back of her skirt so many times :(

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Cool stuff!

Here’s my current project - an armored demon hunter.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Meeple posted:

I need to either do cloth and then immediately let it dry or learn to be way, way more careful with how I hold the figure. I squashed the folds on the back of her skirt so many times :(

That's looking good meeple. Don't judge it too harshly in the middle of building.
What putty are you using?

Hedningen posted:

Here’s my current project - an armored demon hunter

Cool! I picked up some beesputty, have you baked it to set it up? I'm wondering if there is any lingering smell. Don't want to piss off the significant other by stinking up the oven/kitchen. Wondering if one of those smaller toaster ovens would do the trick.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked up my armature for my random inspiration piece.

Also finished this bat:

I'll get some pics of it with it's old metal bat buddies at some point.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Nice work there.

Thought I'd drop this off as inspiration for folks... https://imgur.com/gallery/QrebM41

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Skails posted:

That's looking good meeple. Don't judge it too harshly in the middle of building.
What putty are you using?

Cheers! It's ProCreate, it's quite firm and non-sticky compared to green stuff so it's pretty good for cloth folds (assuming you don't squash them afterwards by accident...) or those panels of armour on her shoulder but trying to blend joins or smooth out cracks is a lot harder. I think I'm going to do a touch-up pass at the end with a liquid putty of some kind on this model.

Next model I'll probably try a mix of ProCreate and green stuff to get different properties, but I sort of want to finish learning how to use it on its own first.

Looking forward to seeing your pipe-smoking wolf pirate, the bat is p great.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
The incremental progress updates continue...

Leg armour. Redid the knee plate on the left as it was a bit wonky.

Started on the right arm. I'd been putting this off a bit because I had a feeling the armature was slightly too tight to work. It was, so bending occurred. I replaced the plastic rod with brass for stiffness, and scored it by pulling it through the teeth of my pliers to try and get just a bit of texture.

That was lunchtime, so fortunately it was all dry in time for me to have a go at a hand this evening. Hands, it turns out, are also really hard. I took a lot of photos of myself holding sticks for reference... Also replaced the brass rod with a slightly longer one and clipped the armature back so I don't end up with wire sticking out - I've learned that lesson at least.

Also it may be time to admit than I'm slightly cheating here, as she came out rather bigger than 28mm heroic scale. I actually scaled her head against a spare scout head when I started, but then I gave her natural proportions so she ended up much taller.

Not shown: about an hour of failed attempts at bending plasticard to make a shield. I gave up and rolled some putty out which is currently drying over a scrap of pipe.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

That is looking good, Meeple.

Despite being overly busy and fostering a small dog, I have been getting a bit of sculpting done. Here is a project I’ve wanted to do for a while, which is currently pretty close to some completion: the skeleton bagpiper.

Pipe detailing is frustrating, and I think I’m going to skip adding regulators for space/crowding reasons - barely managed to get three drones in, plus they need bell and puck detailing still, so it’d be too tight. Bellows should be fun once I decide what order this needs to be in.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Nice skeleton dude. At some point I want to recreate a skeleton I saw on eBay that had a wizard hat and a skull in his hand.

I feel like these boots are pretty close to done. The body is mostly bulked out and started getting the head laid out.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked on his back and right arm tonight. He's gonna be a lumpy boy!

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
That is a very cheery skeleton tootist and I don't envy you trying to do all the fiddly pipes at all, that looks like a nightmare!

Also really liking how that's going, Skails, the folds on the boots make them look like proper soft leather.

Right, massive image dump time as I'm declaring this one finished!

Added a cloak. Took me ages to work out how to get it to drape the way I wanted, but I rather like how it's folded back on itself over her shoulder.

Completely failed to take progress shots for a while, but since that photo I made her a scenic base to stand on (mostly because I needed to know exactly how tall to make the shield so it reached her hand), cut the shield blank to size and added some strips of banding around the edges. I realised that trying to do her hand with no armature whatsoever was probably going to be almost as annoying as having wire stick out, so I added a length of fine guitar string back in. In this photo I've got the shield wrapped in clingfilm because I realised it'd be almost impossible to paint if I left it permanently attached, so the idea was to sculpt the hand over the top and then pop the shield out afterwards. She's not glued firmly to her base either so that worked out okay.

Here's the hand sculpted over the clingfilm. The plan was to trim off the excess once it was dry. Didn't quite work because I think I messed up my ProCreate ratio and the hand is still quite soft many hours later, but with a sharp knife it wasn't too bad.

The clingfilm came off and it seems to have worked okay. This is attempt 4 or 5 at a spearhead - getting realistic rather than heroic-scale spears to look right and actually hold together turned out to be tricky, they're actually rather small!

All the bits separate and the hand trimmed down.

And that's it! Once everything's done I'll probably come back and paint her up, though I might take a break for a while.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Gorgeous work, dude!

Current project for me: a weird amalgamation of fungus, skeletons, and natural debris.

Still got detailing to do, but the general shape is getting there.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Man, you're really churning them out there. I like your fungus dude, he looks a bit like a happy frog.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Hedningen posted:

Cool stuff!

Here’s my current project - an armored demon hunter.

Neat stuff! That plastic piece on the back looks like a piece from the Mantic elves.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Weirdo posted:

Neat stuff! That plastic piece on the back looks like a piece from the Mantic elves.

Thanks! It’s all scratchbuilt stuff, so that definitely makes me feel good.

As I get inspired to do stupid poo poo occasionally, here’s something you’ve all likely seen.

Sculpted and painted by the fantastically talented Louise Sugden, it’s a flamingo to go with her 80s Nightmare Squat Bounty Hunter. Check out her twitter for regular pictures in this style - she’s a fantastic painter with an awesome color sense.

As I am a terrible painter, here’s a quick step-by-step to create a similar flamingo.

Start with a cork and a length of sturdy wire. I went with 22 gauge.

Bend the wire into shape. I messed up here, and you can see it in the later sculpt, but you get the general armature shape.

Stick into cork and roll up your greenstuff/sculpting putty of choice.

Get a thin tube of putty, and coax it onto the armature. Try to keep it even, concentrating on the neck. You can also pre-shape the head a bit here, though you’ll want to let it firm up a bit before detailing.

Once it’s secured, roll out a thicker bit of putty. This will form the body of the flamingo. Notice the top-down view: I’m using this to gauge thickness.

Cut off a chunk of putty with volume equal to your intended body.

Stick it on.

Smooth and refine shapes. I had to cut a bit near the neck to keep it clearly defined.

Wings! Flatten some putty, cut into a square, then cut the square diagonally to make two triangles.

Trim one end so you have a vague wing shape.

Place on miniature, with the flat edge towards the neck.

Blend the wing on. Keep the edges elevated so it’s clear that it’s a separate part.

Cut lines to suggest feathers.

Refine feather and wing shapes, define the beak by making an impression using a blunt “slicing tool” (Wax #5 here), and clean stuff up a bit, defining areas you want to see.

Yeah, it’s rough, but now you can make flamingos!

Stuff I’d better: thinner armature in back for the pointy shape, letting the body dry before doing the wings, and sharpening the beak better.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Hedningen posted:

Current project for me: a weird amalgamation of fungus, skeletons, and natural debris.

I really like all the details and textures on this guy.

Meeple posted:

Right, massive image dump time as I'm declaring this one finished!

This turned out great. It's a nice pose, the hand resting on the shield looks very naturalistic.

Here is my latest WIP shot- I was working on adding to the muscles and smoothing them out a bit.
Going to get back to work on this and try to finish it over the next few days!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Rolled out some tiny balls of greenstuff with the leftovers at the end of a previous session. Super glued these in the eye sockets.
Also made a belt out of leftovers I had rolled flat. Cut at strip of it out with a razor blade, and super glued it on.
I've been rolling flat any greenstuff I have left over or making odd shapes that might come in handy later.

Added putty around the bottom edge of the belt and top edge of boots to smooth the transition a bit and give some form to pants. I think I'll do this on the torso side of the belt too so its not such a wide ridge.
Worked on wolf head and gave some initial shape to hands.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Skails posted:

Rolled out some tiny balls of greenstuff with the leftovers at the end of a previous session. Super glued these in the eye sockets.
Also made a belt out of leftovers I had rolled flat. Cut at strip of it out with a razor blade, and super glued it on.
I've been rolling flat any greenstuff I have left over or making odd shapes that might come in handy later.

Added putty around the bottom edge of the belt and top edge of boots to smooth the transition a bit and give some form to pants. I think I'll do this on the torso side of the belt too so its not such a wide ridge.

I love this guy’s posture. Made me think of this
https://youtu.be/hGI2d31M7Ns

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Skails posted:

I am loving how well your werewolf is coming together! Really looking forward to seeing more progress.

For what I’ve done lately: finished shots of the Piping Skeleton and Fungal Monster, plus my first attempt to do a robot. I’m writing and testing a skirmish game that requires some weird clockwork robots, and seeing as West Wind Productions haven’t responded to my request to use a few of their minis in pictures for the book, I’m doing my own.

Link to the album

As a side note, does anyone have some good art of B. J. Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein? Somebody mentioned wanting a 15mm miniature of him in the “naming fascists in trad gaming” thread, and I kinda want to give it a shot because pissing off Wehraboos is funny as hell to me.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Pvt.Scott posted:

I love this guy’s posture. Made me think of this
https://youtu.be/hGI2d31M7Ns

Ha! My 6yo's response to the video: "That man has a pet iguana."

Bulked out the torso, and the top of the left arm. It was kind of bothering me. Trying to get some muscle definition in there.
Also added fur around the sides of head and started the ears.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Man, he's really coming together, the wolf head is awesome.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Whoooops. Wrong thread!

I need to find time to sculpt... God it looks fun!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Random project - trying to sculpt in the 40k style.

Gotta refine the face a lot more and work on embellishing the armor a lot more. Kind of a fun experiment.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Calling wolfman here finished. :toot:
Drilled a hole in the face and superglued a bit of wire in for the pipe, then came back around it with a little greenstuff.
Also bulked out the fur around head and ears a little more and fudged in some hands.

For scale:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

That is awesome, Skails.

With that, it’s off to the judging!

In the spirit of drawing people in, I’ll be posting the greens, along with this post, in the general miniature thread:

The Sculpting Thread’s Inaugural Sculpt-Off
In case you haven’t seen it, we have a thread for miniature sculpting. In the spirit of encouraging more people to try sculpting, we recently held our first sculpting jam, where anyone interested could ask for a set of five images to act as inspiration for a miniature sculpt. It’s part encouragement and part competition, so we’re now opening up voting.

Meeple sculpted up a female knight, as inspired by these pictures:

Now here’s their finished miniature:

Skails sculpted a pipe-smoking werewolf running, inspired by these pictures:

And here’s their finished miniature:

So, if you have time, would you mind voting on whose sculpt you think best captures the inspiration of these photos/which one you like? You can vote here. I’ll check results on 5/6/19, with the winner receiving a forums upgrade of their choice.

If you’re interested in the next sculpting jam, I hope to have it start on the 15th of May.

Hedningen fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 2, 2019

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

All right, after a weekend of voting, it looks like Skails has won this sculpting challenge. So, provide an e-mail address for a forums upgrade of your choice!

Next Steps
I liked doing this, as well as seeing more sculpting in here. So, with this in mind, here’s a few options for upcoming sculpting jams:

• Sculpt a model around a cool bit that you have - whether it’s a random spare weapon, a cool head that you have, a set of legs that isn’t doing anything, or a part that you just don’t know what to do with.
  • Sculpt a model inspired by a character from film/literature/cartoon in a different genre than they appear in. Inspiration could easily be randomly assigned.
  • The Bootleg Challenge: everyone selects a model. Then, participants are randomly assigned the model they’re “bootlegging” and sculpt their version of it.
  • General “theme” sculpting, where everyone sculpts on a chosen theme.

Meeple, as runner-up, it’s up to you to decide what the next sculpting jam challenge will be! If you’d rather not, then we can use other scientific methods to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, thanks everybody!
Email: x4zombie@hotmail.com

My son drew a picture and said it's something for me to sculpt: