Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello, wonderful miniature sculpting thread, I hope you continue to sculpt wonderful miniature things. I am going to be placing this in the new Thread for Threads in the hopes there will be some more interested eyeballs!

Also, I am curious if people have dabbled with making sculpts for scatter objects and the like or if that is a more cost and post effective thing done in the Terrain thread. The sculpts that y'all come up with in here are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Well, I did it! My first scratch sculpted mini. Of course there are dozens of things I want to get better on the next one, but the first step to being a good sculptor is to be a sculptor at all.

This halfling pikeman will join my growing early 16th century halfling army.

Now I want to make more halflings, but I'm also kind of wanting to make some Glorantha style ducks that want to purge Italy of the Undead scourge, or maybe some turtle mans.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Congratulations on your first scratch-sculpted miniature! It’s oddly addictive, isn’t it?

I’m working on sketching out some concepts and trying to figure out if I should update from Zbrush Core to the full version. 3d sculpting is pretty great.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Still have a bunch of detailing to do, but my Akhorne the Squigrl is starting to progress nicely for BB.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I like it! You're getting pretty drat good at this!

My own sculpting has been heavily disrupted by getting a baby, so I just add fire to other miniatures.
I still need to practice in a more structured way, but, like always, that'll be later.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Thanks!

Here’s a good half-dozen goblins I sculpted this week. Now I have pretty much all the necessary positionals filled for my Blood Bowl team.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Keeping this thread alive with my constant practice pieces.

Psychobilly skeleton.

Pair of commissions for a friend for their D&D characters.

Base for a set of bodies for Chaos Renegades Blood Bowl team, plus fiddling with leg details. Going to cast copies when done, sculpt a set of arms and heads so I can make a team.

Start of sculpt of Scorpia from the new She Ra, because she’s the best character. Also as a Midwestern lesbian who is insecure at times but who gives great hugs, I feel a kinship to her.

Been using Beesputty more. I’m beginning to get the hang of it, and I like fiddling around a lot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I had a hiatus where I painted a lot and stopped sculpting. But some new club members are starting up a Frostgrave campaign, so I thought I’d do something weird. Why not a group of duck adventurers?

First out is the main mage. Still not done as I think I’ll give it a hat of some kind to make him properly magelike.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This weekend I continued work on the ducks. First off, the mage got a fancy hat, and I consider it done now:

I also made an apprentice. This guy is tiny, with the haunched stature he's just 18mm to the top of the head! It's hard to tell from the pics, but he's holding a backpack full of scrolls and books in place with his hands.

The third duck out will be a proud knight. I still need to give him a cape, I already sculpted a shield on the side that I'll put on his back after the cape is done.

Finally an overall view of the rest of the gang, slowly approaching the next sculpting phases. Since they'll be used in Frostgrave I'll need a lot of unarmoured basic thugs and thieves, which I realized I feel less inspired to do than the more specific types. So I might blast through them to get them over with if I don't find an interesting take.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My hankering for duck sculpting is rapidly overtaking my halfling project.

Ok, so next batch will focus on some unarmoured or lightly armoured ducks. I'll need plenty of these for Frostgrave, and they should be suitable for an adventurer gang or for RPGs.

This is probably my favourite in this batch. I like his face and his stance, and the mail coif. The kettle helmet is just started, I'll work more on it when the base has cured. I'm thinking of giving him a big stonkin' polearm.

I nicknamed this "The Brute", because of the menacing pose. I'll give him a big club.

Finally a dastardly thief. He'll get a knife and maybe some kind of mask or similar disguise, or just a hat. The pose ended up a little bit wonky with the legs, but it might work out in the end.

The growing gang. It feels great to have them lined up and see how they organically develop. It's like I'm forming tories in my mind when I work on the ducks. Now I'm wondering if they don't travel around with some kind of wagon, maybe with a mule-driver goose? Who knows! :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It's Summer time threadomancy!

Sculpting was slowed down by work and picking up a whole bunch of old Orcs & Goblins second hand, but I've had some progress and if I dare say it myself, some of my favourite results this far:

This magnificient barbarian warrior is huge! Almost human size! :O

This billduck also got the last touches.

A thug duck, staring down the next victim of its big club. This pose come up by coincidence, but I really like it.

Two thieves. I need these to be able to play Frostgrave with this gang of adventuring ducks, but I'm not sure I really hit the spot with these sculpts. I might try some more ideas for more thief sculpts.

Finally some WIPs, including a sorceror, a crossbowduck and an archer.

And here are the finished sculpts so far ranked up:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Your ducks are goddamn incredible.

Current bench projects. All need work, but having fun tryin’ out new approaches and techniques.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Your ducks are goddamn incredible.

Current bench projects. All need work, but having fun tryin’ out new approaches and techniques.

Thanks! I think next step will be to try to work on more dynamic poses, like you do. My minis this far have been quite static, which makes it easy to focus on basic shapes and details. But in the long run they'll end up a bit boring in the long run.

I've also started trying to find someone interested in casting copies, but no luck this far.

On the other hand, I picked up two working lots of WHFB Orcs & Goblins, so maybe it's time to actually roll my own goblins too. :P

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 1, 2021

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! I think next step will be to try to work on more dynamic poses, like you do. My minis this far have been quite static, which makes it easy to focus on basic shapes and details. But in the long run they'll end up a bit boring in the long run.

I've also started trying to find someone interested in casting copies, but no luck this far.

On the other hand, I picked up two working lots of WHFB Orcs & Goblins, so maybe it's time to actually roll my own goblins too. :P

Yeah, dynamism is one of those things I’ve started playing with a bit more. I tend to do a once-a-year sculpt repeat by making a fencer and seeing how/if I’ve improved, and that time has rolled around again.

I’m also not sculpting some stuff with gameplay in mind, but rather so I can get practice in really heavy exaggerations and movement before dialing it back so that things are usable gaming pieces, but also somewhat “in motion” for the field. It’s a tricky balance!

Never not be sculpting goblins, too. They’re really great for messing with exaggeration, and if you’re looking at stuff like Kevin Adam’s goblins, then you can’t go wrong.

Here’s some good interviews with a bunch of key GW sculptors:

Trish Carden: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Kevin Adams: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Chaz Elliott: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Bob Naismith: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Tony Ackland: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Yeah, dynamism is one of those things I’ve started playing with a bit more. I tend to do a once-a-year sculpt repeat by making a fencer and seeing how/if I’ve improved, and that time has rolled around again.

I’m also not sculpting some stuff with gameplay in mind, but rather so I can get practice in really heavy exaggerations and movement before dialing it back so that things are usable gaming pieces, but also somewhat “in motion” for the field. It’s a tricky balance!

Never not be sculpting goblins, too. They’re really great for messing with exaggeration, and if you’re looking at stuff like Kevin Adam’s goblins, then you can’t go wrong.

Here’s some good interviews with a bunch of key GW sculptors:

Trish Carden: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Kevin Adams: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Chaz Elliott: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Bob Naismith: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Tony Ackland: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Anyway, since last post I've done some legwork on finding a caster on my side of the EU border, so now I'm looking at the various hurdles I would have to cross to get some of these casted for resale. It's not easy, but it's a big motivation right now and it made me set up a more ambitious sculpting plan for this summer.

Some new sculpts:

The Scarred Veteran Guard, always on the lookout with a trusty crossbow. For this one I had to actually look up medieval crossbow bolt quivers, and they looked nothing like bow quivers at all!

Archer Duck. I'm not 100% happy with how the pose ended up, and I think it's really unsuited for casting. So I'm working on a new version. The bow is bad too, and now I've learned not to do weapons in greenstuff, but in magic sculpt instead that can be filed down. Like this flamberge that will eventually find a home in the hands of a landsknecht duck:

Anyway, here's the next six sculpts I'm working on:

Trader Duck, Archer Duck MkII, Knight Duck, Backpack Duck, Tanky McGoose and Wizard Duck.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So duck sculpting is going well. I've finished 19 sculpts now, working on putting integrated bases on them.

There are four more to go. Making these bases might be the least inspiring part of miniature sculpting... so not so different from painting minis I guess! :P

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

lilljonas posted:

So duck sculpting is going well. I've finished 19 sculpts now, working on putting integrated bases on them.

There are four more to go. Making these bases might be the least inspiring part of miniature sculpting... so not so different from painting minis I guess! :P

Your ducks are fantastic, and kinda make me want to sculpt ducks as well.

I’m working on some models for Necromunda, so I made myself a Pyromagir Lord because nobody else makes them. Decided to do something that I always recommend - start with a single bit (in this case, a head) and then build the rest of the miniature out from there. Still have a lot of minor details to fix up, but it’s coming together.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Your ducks are fantastic, and kinda make me want to sculpt ducks as well.

I’m working on some models for Necromunda, so I made myself a Pyromagir Lord because nobody else makes them. Decided to do something that I always recommend - start with a single bit (in this case, a head) and then build the rest of the miniature out from there. Still have a lot of minor details to fix up, but it’s coming together.

Oooh, that hand is just really great. Well done.

Thanks! I'm messing with all the bureaucratic stuff (registering for FA-skatt, VAT etc), but once that's done they're hopefully off to the caster!

Now I'm thinking about next project. Might be to either make a more unit style ducks (maybe the city guard?), or some postapoc animals/hybrids.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

One of the players in my Blood Bowl league needed a star player, Hakflem Skuttlespite, but couldn’t find one. So I chopped up some Skaven and got to work - everything but the heads is scratch-sculpted.

Still has some obvious refinement left on the hands and arm musculature, but pretty good for a speed sculpt. Might need to get Glart Smashrip Sr. sculpted as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

One of the players in my Blood Bowl league needed a star player, Hakflem Skuttlespite, but couldn’t find one. So I chopped up some Skaven and got to work - everything but the heads is scratch-sculpted.

Still has some obvious refinement left on the hands and arm musculature, but pretty good for a speed sculpt. Might need to get Glart Smashrip Sr. sculpted as well.

Whoa, looking great! Needing a mini that you can't find is a great motivator for sculpting. :)

In other news, I finished my last ducks (up to 23 now) and sent them off to Germany for master casting last week. I'm super nervous now about what they'll think of them when I'll finally get a professional check on them.

Final line-up:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Whoa, looking great! Needing a mini that you can't find is a great motivator for sculpting. :)

In other news, I finished my last ducks (up to 23 now) and sent them off to Germany for master casting last week. I'm super nervous now about what they'll think of them when I'll finally get a professional check on them.

Final line-up:

Scrolling down this thread is always a trip.

Top of page lilljonas: “I sculpted my first scratchbuilt mini!”

Bottom of page lilljonas: “Watch out for my Kickstarted range of badass duck miniatures!”

Definitely glad this thread is here. Looking forward to hearing how the casting goes!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Crossposting from the 3D printing thread, but I’m dipping my toes into digital sculpting. Working on a Blood Bowl team, and got the basics of the orc started today.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Scrolling down this thread is always a trip.

Top of page lilljonas: “I sculpted my first scratchbuilt mini!”

Bottom of page lilljonas: “Watch out for my Kickstarted range of badass duck miniatures!”

Definitely glad this thread is here. Looking forward to hearing how the casting goes!

And now, bottom of page:

"Hey here's the master molds of my first range!" :P

What's this?

A box of minis from Germany?

A box of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?

A box of a lot of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?

A box of a horde of master copies of lilljonas duck adventurers?!

Super stoked to see these, Hagen Miniautres did a great job in making the molds. Out of 21 sculpts, only one could not be recast due to the pose. Now I need to clean these up and paint them ASAP, and then it's off to try to flog them. :P

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Good job on the 3D sculpt, I have no plans to get into 3D sculpting myself but I can really see how much more practical it can be for so many reasons.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Haven’t posted in a while, but I’ve been busy.

Blood Bowl commissions/presents, done in Beesputty:

3D sculpting commission:

Personal fuckin’ around sculpts in 3D for a Blood Bowl team:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nice work, I think I like the goblin coach the best.

I find it really hard to juggle sculpting and painting. Now I've been painting for a few months, and my sculpting completely stopped. I'll try to get going again soon, I think I want to start on a set of duck pirates. Mixing Drakar och Demoner ducks and maybe some inspiration from the Asterix pirates? That should be fun and interesting.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Sculpting a goblin, concentrating on new methods of hard surface sculpting. Likely gonna add more greeblies, maybe get it to fit my Chaos Renegades team.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Your upper arm muscles are a bit weird, if you don't mind me saying.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Your upper arm muscles are a bit weird, if you don't mind me saying.

Not minded at all. Appreciate it, as everything is a work in progress and fixing stuff is part of improving.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The bicep should pretty much always be in line with the forearm/perpendicular to the axis of the elbow joint. I'd start with that when doing the muscles and everything else should fall in place much easier.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The bicep should pretty much always be in line with the forearm/perpendicular to the axis of the elbow joint. I'd start with that when doing the muscles and everything else should fall in place much easier.

Good call. My anatomy is usually kinda rough, so I think doing more anatomical studies is a bit of the fundamentals that I’ve really failed to do, so likely gonna step back, work on that a bit more rather than some of my random projects, and concentrate on improving.

Slightly unfucked it here, though it still has a lot of work left. Right arm is still funky - may end up redoing from scratch again.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've been learning digital sculpting and have been really enjoying it. I'm starting with simpler items - bases, terrain, scatter mostly as practice. But I really like the way this came out so I'm now working on making more of these. Thoughts?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 28, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Doctor Zero posted:

I've been learning digital sculpting and have been really enjoying it. I'm starting with simpler items - bases, terrain, scatter mostly as practice. But I really like the way this came out so I'm now working on making more of these. Thoughts?

[timg]https://lpix.org/4206186/Demonic Spike A.5@0.5x.jpg[/timg]

They make me uncomfortable. 👍

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

They make me uncomfortable. 👍

The most uncomfortable part is the cleanup. :v:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

[timg]https://lpix.org/4206186/Demonic Spike A.5@0.5x.jpg[/timg]

I quite like it. What are you sculpting with?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hedningen posted:

I quite like it. What are you sculpting with?

Thanks!! Nomad Sculpt for IPad. It’s not as full featured as Zbrush, but it seemed like a good beginners app.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Thanks!! Nomad Sculpt for IPad. It’s not as full featured as Zbrush, but it seemed like a good beginners app.

That’s pretty neat - I take it that it’s more of a sculpting than modeling program? As in, it’s closer to moving putty/clay than just making and arranging polygons.

Zbrush is mostly my preference because it’s got a fast workflow that’s closer to traditional sculpting, and a lot of it is absolute overkill. I’m just figuring out proper retopologizing for cleaner models, and it’s killing me slowly how much goes into all of this.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hedningen posted:

That’s pretty neat - I take it that it’s more of a sculpting than modeling program? As in, it’s closer to moving putty/clay than just making and arranging polygons.

Zbrush is mostly my preference because it’s got a fast workflow that’s closer to traditional sculpting, and a lot of it is absolute overkill. I’m just figuring out proper retopologizing for cleaner models, and it’s killing me slowly how much goes into all of this.

Yeah, that's correct. It's more difficult to do hard surface models, at least at my skill level. I've watched a lot of videos showing how to do it, so I know you can, but precise positioning is difficult for me.

If I do something needing more 'modeling' and precision, I'll start it in Shapr3D (also on iPad, but also has a workstation version).

Oh god, I feel you. All my models are friggin' huge file size-wise, and getting them to a reasonable level without turning everything into Minecraft takes forever. I will learn zBrush as well, but I want to at least get the basics down first. Last time I tried to learn Blender I bounced off it because I didn't have any kind of base level understanding of what I was doing. Just repositioning something was awful for me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Blender is incomprehensible on its surface, but there are video guides to making practically anything so you can just follow that step by step to make just about anything you need. It’s very much a jack of all trades program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, that's correct. It's more difficult to do hard surface models, at least at my skill level. I've watched a lot of videos showing how to do it, so I know you can, but precise positioning is difficult for me.

If I do something needing more 'modeling' and precision, I'll start it in Shapr3D (also on iPad, but also has a workstation version).

Oh god, I feel you. All my models are friggin' huge file size-wise, and getting them to a reasonable level without turning everything into Minecraft takes forever. I will learn zBrush as well, but I want to at least get the basics down first. Last time I tried to learn Blender I bounced off it because I didn't have any kind of base level understanding of what I was doing. Just repositioning something was awful for me.

Yeah, discovering and tweaking my decimation options has allowed me to make somewhat smaller file sizes.

I can kinda do hard surfaces without doing too much in 3d plane/platonic manipulation, but it takes a while and also involves some nearly incoherent planning.

To keep things vaguely on topic for 3d sculpting with intent to print, here’s some TOP ZBRUSH TIPS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER:
  • Start by sculpting a super-rough head, then duplicate it. Move it off to the side and back, and then CTRL+Move using the gizmo to stack duplicates. Instant scale and proportion tool for standing/unposed minis!
  • Name everything whenever you make a new object. Absolutely everything.
  • The best brushes are Clay Buildup, Move, Trim Dynamic, Damien Standard, High Polish, and Knife Curve. You should also learn when turning on Backface Mask is useful.
  • Use the “Make Boolean Mesh” tool at the end to build cool single-piece minis, or to divide out parts by controlling which subtools merge/add/subtract to each other.
  • Zoom out occasionally so your mini is the rough size it will be in meatspace, so you can see if it looks weird or if you’re trying to cram too much detail in.
  • Anatomy practice is important (note: I need more) and while you can reuse meshes and parts, you’ll be a better sculptor if you do some stuff from scratch when you can.
  • Use the 3D Print Hub to check on whether your mesh is solid. It will save you hunting tiny fuckups later, which I am currently doing a lot of.

Should be testing my Chaos Renegades team soonish, which will hopefully mean I’ve figured out more of how this crap works. I like putty and physical sculpting, but the ability to throw my stuff up on Thingiverse/Cults is just too tempting.