Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Oof. God drat. Best wishes for a better 2019.

This. May 2019 be much better for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

2019 goals time! Shooting for a perfect 10/10 this year (last year was only 4/10 with a couple of near-misses: 4/8 main goals, 0/2 stretch goals)

2019 Goals

1. Spend less than $3,000 total between restaurants and bar expenses in 2019.
- This probably sounds like a laughable goal to most of you, but here's my last three years:
2016: $5007.99
2017: $5458.24
2018: $6259.61 (almost all of which was restaurants, less than $100 was bars/alcohol)
...so yeah. Finally have my own house, and my own kitchen, and have been making meals for the last three weeks or so at a pretty good pace. I'll be on-track here spending $250 or less per month. Q1 is going to be critical here creating good habits that I can stick to.

2. Remain free of consumer debt in 2019.
- Keep the credit card at a zero balance, don't go buy a new car, don't open any new liability accounts with anybody anywhere. Met this in 2018, shooting for a repeat.

3. Max out my Roth IRA contribution in 2019.
- Looks like the maximum this year is $6,000, so will need to contribute an average of $500 per month. The plan is to increase the monthly automatic deduction to $200 per month for now and set the remaining $300 per month aside in my bank for payment at the end of the year (I want to have additional funds liquid just in case as this is my first year of home ownership).

4. Get to and maintain a weight of no more than 170 pounds, and a body fat percentage of 18% or less, by December 31, 2019.
- A repeat goal from 2018 and 2017 and 2016. To avoid repeating the failure, I'm going to come up with a workout and meal plan targeted at hitting these numbers, while leaning hard on staying away from restaurants (goal #1) and eating healthy when I do occasionally go out. I'm likely going to need some help via You Look Like poo poo and/or The Fitness Log Cabin for this. More details to come by the end of January on this.

5. Increase officiating income to $4,000 in 2019.
- Came close to hitting this in 2018 ($3553.77). Some of this isn't in my control- I can only work the games I'm assigned and we had a lot of new officials last year which spread the assignments around some. However, if I work every weekend and make myself available as much as possible (which requires me to be in great shape, see goal #4) then hitting $4K should be possible. I also might (MIGHT) look at picking up a second sport to officiate, but really want to focus on football. I worked a state semifinal game in 2018, and would love to get a state final in 2019.

6. Increase overall income to $100,000 in 2019.
- Last year my boss and I discussed my compensation and while I received a nice raise over the job I had for the first half of the year, we decided to circle back in January 2019 with a plan to get me to $100,000 in 2019. The above goal requires that a) we have that conversation this month, and then b) I follow through with what's needed to accomplish this. I'll update the goal with specifics once I have them.

7. Buy an engagement ring, propose to my girlfriend, and plan for a (reasonably cheap) wedding in late 2019 or 2020.
- Pretty self-explanatory. It's time to settle down and make things official. :)

8. Increase emergency fund to $15,000 or more in 2019.
- I want to make sure I have enough in my emergency fund to survive something massive happening with the house, or a sudden job change. My $1,000 emergency fund was sufficient previously while I was paying off debt, but now that I have a house, it's time to increase this.

2019 Stretch Goals

9. Decrease mortgage to 80% or less of the value of my house, and refinance loan to get rid of PMI.
- This would be a very ambitious goal and would likely require goals #1, 2, 5, and certainly 6 to happen, while also requiring the house to increase in value by a fair amount. However, I'm going to shoot for it because it will get us out of our comfort zone and looking at every expense in terms of our stretch goal.

10. Pick up a new sport I've never competitively played before and get (semi?) good at it.
- I never got to play competitive sports much as a kid, so I'm making up for lost time. Have played softball for years now and have been approached about joining a 35-and-older baseball team (never played baseball at all, so I'm counting this as a possibility even though they are similar sports; particularly because they want me to pitch, and although I've done that for slow-pitch softball, this definitely is not that). Other options I'm looking at- snowboarding, golf, or maybe volleyball?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

fuzzy_logic posted:

By Feb:
- save up 400$ for bonsai auction

I’m curious- is this actually like a bonsai tree auction? Or am I completely misinterpreting? :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

DJCobol posted:

I support this change.