Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also actually getting through the jimquisition take on DD2, they say they think the lack of fast travel/rarity of it in DD1 was an outdated anti-QoL system in 1 and that they've doubled down on it in 2 in order to force you to buy their dlc.

The DLC that is a single fast travel point with none of the consumables you use to fast travel. The fast travel points you earn fairly well paced in game and have a hard limit of 10 active (You get more than 10 total). The DLC you can buy once.

I think she just doesn't like the game and is trying to twist this into something much worse to be morally correct about not enjoying it, because clearly they've designed it bad to force you to buy QoL features!!!

I'm sorry no, this is just dumb bullshit ytuber brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I like other people am wary of "You don't need to buy the MTXs" as it sounds a lot like the old "Anything you can buy in the store, you can earn in-game" excuse that was quickly abused by devs/pubs, so I understand that people may look at stuff like this as a slippery slope. You don't really need to make up scenarios in your mind past that, though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DanJhonson posted:

It's Dragons Dogma 1 but bigger, if you like DD1 then DD2 is a sure thing, feels like a more well realized version of the first game about 20 hours in.

One of my best friends is a legit DD1 speedrunner and loves the game to bits, but just uninstalled it. Dragon disease turning her game's narrative into swiss cheese, NPCs walking off cliffs, weird autosave issues, and the lack ofa New Game option just melted her patience.

So loving the earlier game is not a 1-1 relation to enjoying the new one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Y’all should all be mad that Into Free isn’t in the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Warbird posted:

Y’all should all be mad that Into Free isn’t in the game.

Just have to mod it in like later dd1 releases sadly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If you could could buy infinite red orb packs, as opposed to a one time purchase, then yes I could see it as a micro transaction mechanic. However, if it’s just a purchase that can be made once and only once, then it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a mechanic.

I will admit it’s been a few years since I have tuned into Sterling, and if she has started to regularly make claims like this since then I can see why her reputation has started to take a dive.

for a while now most of sterling's output has consisted of summarized twitter controversies with with occasional jpeg overlay, special consideration given to whatever her website's comment section is mad about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/TehSnakerer/status/1772699473975640456

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:lmao:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, they're not wrong.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 27, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The game doesn't even advertise the mtx aside from the main menu having an option to go to the store, which I thought was for the deluxe edition upgrade until people online decided the mtx were a massive problem. If it was an Ubisoft game there'd be ads for mtx stuff in the game menus (admittedly it's been a minute since I bought an Ubisoft game so maybe they cut that out).

Do I think the game is good? Yeah. Does it run like poo poo? Also yeah.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah the game's a mess backend wise.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh yeah the game's a mess backend wise.

As good as the RE Engine has been, I believe this is its first test in a vast open world game so I'm not surprised to see it trembling under the effort.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Capcom has been selling in-game currency/valuable items for real money for at least 10 years, and it has never affected how the games were balanced or structured (at least for single player games, that is). I think if you've played other capcom games you'd be pretty trustful of that at this point, and had any possible MTX irritation already happen way back when. They've also been very good about not having in-game ads, either in the main menu or the actual game.

That's all in obvious contrast to Video Game Satan, Ubisoft, who:
- Throw ads anywhere you think to look in-game
- Balance and structure games based on their microtransactions - weird how all their games suddenly started having RPG mechanics, where the main change to game design was 'small number=bad & stinky, big number=good, now look at this MTX store for making number big'.

Now, it's not like anyone needs to like the ability to buy in-game stuff with real money. It's just that this does happen to be the least bad version of it, and has been going on forever now, so the outrage feels completely manufactured. I suppose there's certainly going to be someone who hasn't played a Capcom game in more than a decade, and has no interest in DD2, in which case I would certainly sympathise with seeing this as inexcusable.

I guess the last thing that would cause confusion is the game's opposition to fast traveling everywhere at any time - I think you actually just have to trust the developer with that one, instead of assuming fast travel was cut out for more money. I'll admit I'm only 15 hours in, but so far the lack of fast travel has only been a good thing (being stuck in the middle of nowhere at night is properly terrifying).

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

It feels like having 3 sorcerers in your party might instantly make the PS5 explode as soon as combat starts, and that's actually something that maybe should make me unhappy but it's badass for some reason?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Judge Tesla posted:

As good as the RE Engine has been, I believe this is its first test in a vast open world game so I'm not surprised to see it trembling under the effort.

It makes me worried for Monster Hunter Wilds, not gonna lie.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
As far as Sterling talk goes, my first exposure to her was a video where she was complaining about DLC characters in MKX (I think) and said something to the effect that every character should return in every game, and I was like "lol absolutely not," so I haven't really paid much attention to her since.

smuh posted:

I guess the last thing that would cause confusion is the game's opposition to fast traveling everywhere at any time - I think you actually just have to trust the developer with that one, instead of assuming fast travel was cut out for more money. I'll admit I'm only 15 hours in, but so far the lack of fast travel has only been a good thing (being stuck in the middle of nowhere at night is properly terrifying).

That's honestly my biggest question about the game: is the actual traversal fun? In a vacuum I don't disagree that games should try to make traveling around a map more fun, but at some point no matter how good it is, I don't want to have to spend however long it takes to get from Point A to Point B for like one item; I got poo poo to do.

Like eventually I even fast travelled in the Insomniac Spider-Man games, and that's probably as good as it gets for fun traversal in video games

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I remember Sterling didn't like Shenmue 3 and would bring it up in videos constantly for a good year. Obsessive person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

As far as Sterling talk goes, my first exposure to her was a video where she was complaining about DLC characters in MKX (I think) and said something to the effect that every character should return in every game, and I was like "lol absolutely not," so I haven't really paid much attention to her since.
meat is absolutely critical to mortal kombat and any attempt to remove him is a crime

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
DD2 is gonna be fun in like a year when modders have ripped it apart enough to make it run decently well.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

sterling has always just said stuff to rile up gamers and we're living in the era where nerdbaiting has never been more profitable.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

That's honestly my biggest question about the game: is the actual traversal fun? In a vacuum I don't disagree that games should try to make traveling around a map more fun, but at some point no matter how good it is, I don't want to have to spend however long it takes to get from Point A to Point B for like one item; I got poo poo to do.

Like eventually I even fast travelled in the Insomniac Spider-Man games, and that's probably as good as it gets for fun traversal in video games
I think the traversal is fun due to two things:
1. The feeling of rewarding discovery. Weapons and armor pieces in the game are each unique (not that there's only one of each, but that there's no '+5% to butt damage' variation stuff), so delving into the unknown has a good chance of actually being really rewarding - especially since you not only need equipment for yourself, but also your main pawn. Even if you don't find any special rewards, you'd likely gain a fair amount of gold through your adventuring, which can get you new pieces of equipment at stores (buying equipment is actually useful for once!). In addition, other players will get rewarded through your pawn learning things like enemy weaknesses, hidden chest locations, etc. and conversely, you'll get those same benefits from other player's pawns.
2. The world being unforgiving. When you get damaged, your health bar slightly shrinks in its entirety; this is to force you to rest eventually to regain your full strength, instead of just fighting through the entire world without pause. In the wilderness, you can only rest at a campfire, and only if you are carrying a very heavy camping kit with you. This combined with nights being very dark and full of much, much more powerful monsters, well, you'd better plan your trips before you leave a settlement.

The second point is probably one of those love-it-or-hate-it situations, lol. It's pretty much the absolute opposite of traversal in the Insomniac Spider-Man games in every way; even the smallest amount traveled feels like progress, and every minute you don't stumble onto an ogre that will fling your entire party of a cliff is a victory. Spider-Man would just swing past that poo poo and collect a backpack or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ItohRespectArmy posted:

sterling has always just said stuff to rile up gamers and we're living in the era where nerdbaiting has never been more profitable.
but at least sterling's riling was for good instead of ill most of the time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I look forward to the upcoming Jimquisition episode calling everyone corporate bootlickers for "defending" good boy Capcom over this.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Using all the greatest hits: picture of a prawn, cgi conan the barbarian, stock photos from 2011.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Shinji2015 posted:

So a lot of the fast travel being hard stuff is a bit overblown I think. Once you get to the big city the ox carts start going again between towns and they cost 100g to ride, you can find 400g on dead goblins sometimes, it's trivial. Now yes, the cart can get attacked while you're snoozing on it but so far it's been manageable for me at least.

Also you do eventually start finding and getting rewarded ferry stones like every other quest/outing it seems so even that isn't too bad but I haven't found more than two port crystals to travel to yet. Speaking of that poo poo is basically instant now.

So it's not as bad as I thought it would be in this regard but also you need materials for upgrades so walking around and getting/killing things pretty much always has some worth to it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TuxedoOrca posted:

I remember Sterling didn't like Shenmue 3 and would bring it up in videos constantly for a good year. Obsessive person.

yeah that got me to stop watching her stuff. not shenmue 3 specifically, but the fact the vast majority of her videos are just endlessly repeating greatest hits with less and less new, interesting or actionable information.

i remember she talked about losing subscribers when she started transitioning, and i don't doubt there's a non-zero amount of people who watched her stuff while thinking "i agree with all their views on social justice issues, but wouldn't if they transitioned", but also i somehow doubt deciding to be the miserable bastard child of a media watchdog and a content mill is all that conducive to viewer retention or channel growth

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

TuxedoOrca posted:

Using all the greatest hits: picture of a prawn, cgi conan the barbarian, stock photos from 2011.

Throw in a few TRIIIIIIÌPLEEEEE AYYYYYYYYYYs.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

here is a picture of bobby kottick with devil horns

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

yeah that got me to stop watching her stuff. not shenmue 3 specifically, but the fact the vast majority of her videos are just endlessly repeating greatest hits with less and less new, interesting or actionable information.

i remember she talked about losing subscribers when she started transitioning, and i don't doubt there's a non-zero amount of people who watched her stuff while thinking "i agree with all their views on social justice issues, but wouldn't if they transitioned", but also i somehow doubt deciding to be the miserable bastard child of a media watchdog and a content mill is all that conducive to viewer retention or channel growth

There's only so many times you can be told that microtransactions are the devil and you suck if you play games with them in it before you just move on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not really sure if "you suck if you play these games" is their thing, but it's not surprising gamers take it that way because gamers have incredibly thin skin when it comes to criticism of things they like.

I'll admit I watch much less of their content these days cause it is a bit repetitive, but boy if I dont side eye anyone who complains a bit too loud about them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

they literally called it a scam game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

they literally called it a scam game

ok?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Not really sure if "you suck if you play these games" is their thing, but it's not surprising gamers take it that way because gamers have incredibly thin skin when it comes to criticism of things they like.

I'll admit I watch much less of their content these days cause it is a bit repetitive, but boy if I dont side eye anyone who complains a bit too loud about them.
i think the person who lies a bunch and yells at people on twitter when they disagree is not good, gomen

and went out of their way to quote tweet random 30 follower accounts who said 'idk i like sonic frontiers' so they could be harassed off the internet

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think the person who lies a bunch and yells at people on twitter when they disagree is not good, gomen

and went out of their way to quote tweet random 30 follower accounts who said 'idk i like sonic frontiers' so they could be harassed off the internet

"JSS is bad because they put randos on blast for disagreeing with them" is a different argument then "JSS made fun of, and was slightly incorrect about my niche game with bad MTX"

the former has not come up until your last post.

If they're putting rando, non chuddy assholes on blast like that, that sucks. But also, I feel like "so and so's audience went too aggro on some random person" is something I've seen from a TON of content creators and how hardly they seem to be admonished for it sometimes feels like it's matter of how much slack goons want to cut them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

It makes me worried for Monster Hunter Wilds, not gonna lie.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic simply cause Capcom are not gonna risk botching their mega-cash cow.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Throw in a few TRIIIIIIÌPLEEEEE AYYYYYYYYYYs.

Don't forget "SKELETON WARRIORS!!!" :skeltal:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

"JSS is bad because they put randos on blast for disagreeing with them" is a different argument then "JSS made fun of, and was slightly incorrect about my niche game with bad MTX"

the former has not come up until your last post.

If they're putting rando, non chuddy assholes on blast like that, that sucks. But also, I feel like "so and so's audience went too aggro on some random person" is something I've seen from a TON of content creators and how hardly they seem to be admonished for it sometimes feels like it's matter of how much slack goons want to cut them.
i mean, the latter is also bad, op. when your job is informing people, outright lies (and then making fun of people who correct those lies) is not good behavior. if the MTX is bad, then reporting on it truthfully is how you portray it.

like 'all actions are permissible because Gamers are Bad' is a really lazy way of looking at things

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

a cartoon duck posted:

I mean that's why I stopped paying attention, I'm sure since then there's been some good videos but I just couldn't be bothered to keep up to check anymore after it started feeling like every video was just reaffirming what she'd already said dozens of times.

It's not even that I mind the recurring bits or the cynical tone, it's just that the videos feel trite and lame. Like she's just become another of those "react to video game news" channels but on a different political side. The Quartering but for They/Them or something.

To circle back to the point of the thread, the podcast with Pat and Woolie pretty much fills that same niche now, if I want people reacting to industry news I'd rather it be in the form of some banter by people who seem like they at least care about games and play them lmao.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Dragon's Dogma 2 only cardinal sin is not letting you turn off raytracing so it runs and looks right. Once that update is out it'll be yet another perfect game from Capcom (with lovely dumb mtx that don't impact gameplay) like RE4, MHW and DMC5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DD2's real problem is lack of variety in the small enemies and not really effectively distributing its big enemies.

Same problem as the Switch Zeldas had.