Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Beyond is recruiting Freelancer writers for articles it seems. Wonder if they want the site to be a bit more like Dragon Mag was.

https://twitter.com/michaelgalvis/status/1783636776730734934?s=46

Edit: Here is the pay
https://twitter.com/MichaelGalvis/status/1783659907927228489

Yusin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yes we need a dozen articles on 'how to build and play an effective warlock' asap

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think I could write articles about D&D but I would never survive the inevitable criticism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Here is my 5 point article on how to accurately and appropriately roleplay sexual encounters between dragonkin and drow with statistics and rollable tables.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
see the milk-

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I am going to throttle whichever game designer added Yaka to ToA

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

PeterWeller posted:

Note that Flanking is an optional rule in 5E. The normal Rogue Sneak Attack rule just requires an ally to be within 5 feet of your target, not necessarily flanking them.

That's what I was saying. Flanking does not really play into it. I was confused why it was brought up. And rakish audacity means you will almost always get a sneak attack except when the enemy has a friend nearby and you don't. As it says, the rest of the sneak attack rules still apply.

I'm sorry, I just thought the earlier clarifications in the thread about sneak attack didn't really clarify anything. I guess I should not get mad at Rpg discussions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rubberduke posted:

That's what I was saying. Flanking does not really play into it. I was confused why it was brought up. And rakish audacity means you will almost always get a sneak attack except when the enemy has a friend nearby and you don't. As it says, the rest of the sneak attack rules still apply.

I'm sorry, I just thought the earlier clarifications in the thread about sneak attack didn't really clarify anything. I guess I should not get mad at Rpg discussions.

I think the mention of flanking was not a reference to the optional rule but more a descriptive term for what the regular sneak attack is—narratively you get that sneak attack bonus because there’s someone drawing your target’s attention on a slightly different angle. In that sense you can interpret sneak attack as a sort of rogue-only flanking bonus.

And the mention of the rogue having someone behind which would negate the sneak attack is like if you have this setup:
pre:
|_|_|_|_|
|E|R|A|E|
|_|_|_|_|
Where E is an enemy, R is the Rogue and A is an ally. Here the Swashbuckler is fighting an enemy one-on-one (one way the swashbuckler rules are sometimes simplified to), and they don’t have multiple enemies swarming them (another way they’re summarised), but because their ally is within 5 feet of them but not their target, they don’t get the swashbuckler sneak attack or the base rogue sneak attack. They likely need to circle their enemy so they don’t have someone behind them to get their swashbuckler sneak attack.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Correct.

It's all kind of pedantic though, because the assumption for a rogue is they should be able to get sneak attack every turn. They just need to do some active maneuvering or make a successful stealth check to pull it off: the original issue was they were out damaging the Way of Mercy monk.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Morrow posted:

Correct.

It's all kind of pedantic though, because the assumption for a rogue is they should be able to get sneak attack every turn. They just need to do some active maneuvering or make a successful stealth check to pull it off: the original issue was they were out damaging the Way of Mercy monk.

Yeah agreed, and I do think it sounds like a bit of a rules issue. If the monk was doing Flurry of Blows for three basic unarmed strikes (1+STR:2) then they might be spending 1 Ki for a paltry 9 damage. But if they swap for a monk weapon and monk strikes then they’d be dealing 1d8+2d6+9.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 27, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can monks use dex for unarmed or is that something I'm mixing up with 2024e?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can monks use dex for unarmed or is that something I'm mixing up with 2024e?

Yes that's a core class feature

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah I think the player in the OP was mistakenly using basic unarmed strikes for all / most of their attacks, which was a big part of the issue.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I houseruled the standard unarmed strikes to be 1d1 vice 1 so they still do extra damage on a crit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sigh. Its annoying when battlemaps don't mention the DPI, or the DPI doesn't really line up with convenient snapping to grid with walls and stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sigh. Its annoying when battlemaps don't mention the DPI, or the DPI doesn't really line up with convenient snapping to grid with walls and stuff.

I'm not super familiar wih DPI but the maps I've gotten are all 70dpi and I just have Roll20 resize / fit the page and that seems to work.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just have a wizard shrink or enlarge your players so the tiles make sense

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This dungeon was built by a race of elves that is 13% smaller than average. I roll a die every time you walk through a door to see if you hit your head.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

homeless snail posted:

This dungeon was built by a race of elves that is 13% smaller than average. I roll a die every time you walk through a door to see if you hit your head.

i've done this with a party who decided to crawl through an entire halfling fortress during a one shot

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Roll CTE saving throw vs DC 12

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I remember having to gently caress around a lot with maps on Roll20 and it was always easier when I made sure it was cropped to the exact edges of the grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm having so much fun as my level 12 Gun using Assassin-Arcane Archer for this one shot. :haw: :commissar: