Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
movie will follow from the end of season 3, to be released theatrically in japan on dec 17, then airing on japanese tv soon after. america will get it in select theaters feb 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

a kitten posted:

Yep! Comes out in Japan very soon, aniplex is screening it in the US in February and maybe streaming it soon (i hope anyway). From what i understand it'll pick up right where the latest season ended

e: here's the trailer if you're all caught up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zy8-00-Pls
I somehow hadn't watched it yet, and aaaaaaa it's good

gently caress i am vibrating with excitement , this completely motivates me to finish the anime soon

i'm also reading the manga but i'm only on vol 3 lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

a kitten posted:

e: here's the trailer if you're all caught up! don't look if you're not!
https://youtu.be/8Zy8-00-Pls
Changed to a link just to be extra spoiler safe

Glad to see the movie will pick right up where S3 left off with best girl still being the biggest bro. :allears:

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Do we know when exactly it'll be airing on Japanese TV? Hopefully if it's not too long after the theatre run then fansubs will be out relatively quickly.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's something to look forward to, how nice.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I hope that they'll manage to finish the adaptation now that the manga is complete.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You'd need six seasons, which I don't think is going to happen now that the anime boosts the manga boosts the anime boosts the manga cycle is over.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9nUcqxVXc

So this is coming out internationally in February, right?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
AMC app says Feb 14th

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Cineplex here in Canada says it's showing February 14th, 18th, and 19th. No Dub from what I can see.

I will see it on Valentine's Day, as it seems appropriate.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Only playing once a night for two nights here in NYC, which is too bad. Really wanted to see it but that will be impossible to get the wife and I together at the same time. Hopefully they don't drag sending it to streaming for too long

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For anyone thinking about going to catch the movie in the theatre, maybe wait for streaming.

It wasn't bad - still as poignant and as funny as ever - but it didn't really utilize a bigger budget or do anything super-different from the show. The purest definition of "episodes strung together". Perfectly fine seeing on a small screen. Will say that the Japanese voice work has never been better and the VAs stepped up their game big time.

Without spoilers, I will say that there are two super-important arcs happening during the movie's timeline, and the film chooses to focus only on one of them. A very weird choice, but makes me interested for S4 and how they'll tackle it.

The vaguest of vague spoilers for the movie, no specific plot points or manga reveals, but slight structural notes: This is almost exclusively a Kaguya-Shirogane movie, so if you want to see the whole cast used in a big way, you'll be out of luck. The student council are there, but they're backgrounded for a ton of the run time.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A very weird choice

Isn't that exactly how the manga did it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah, the movie was still high quality but no real mind blowing segments like we saw in season 3. Each character had at least one moment, but none outside Miyuki/Kaguya were given any real focus. I did enjoy the copious amounts of idiot/child Kaguya and ice queen Kaguya, though. :v:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

Isn't that exactly how the manga did it?

I suppose, but it made more sense to me as a weekly manga. The first third of the film has moments setting up that they'll get to that other important event, including cutaways to it, and then focused on everything but that.

Not a huge problem, I'll just wait for next season to see how it's addressed. :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So treat it more as a made-for-tv movie deal than as an "event" film?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

So treat it more as a made-for-tv movie deal than as an "event" film?

Yep, exactly.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The movie was very good

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
They've split the movie into episodes and the first two are now on crunchyroll. It's a bit difficult to find though because of their terrible interface.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I can't believe they didn't put it all up at once.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I guess it was chopped up and timed as such to have something that fills the gap between the winter and spring seasons? Does seem bizarre but w/e, personally I'm going to wait for the whole thing to be out before watching.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

They're releasing it like that cause that's how it's airing in Japan.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
https://kaguya.love/news/?article_id=62680

Well then good news, final two episodes should come out tomorrow.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Is it literally just the movie split up or is there anything different/added/removed in the episodes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm assuming it's like the Futurama movies that got recut into TV episodes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I remember people saying that the movie already felt like a bunch of TV episodes when it first came out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Clarste posted:

I remember people saying that the movie already felt like a bunch of TV episodes when it first came out.

This would be accurate.

The movie is still really good, but I would actually rate is lower than, say, the last three episodes of Ultraromantic.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Isn’t it a pretty standard industry move to chop up the OVAs into episodic content?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Only if it is being slotted into a season, by itself it is a little strange.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
At least it came out quickly instead of like mugen train

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Right so I've watched the movie episodes and as somebody who's adored this series from the word go: this movie loving sucks. This whole plot arc loving sucks. Shirogane and Kaguya finally confessed and admitted they love one another. We absolutely did not need this return to the status quo. Just have the goddamn courage to move the story onward with them in a relationship without having to spin the wheels for another eternity for the most arbitrary reasons.

Like I'm sorry, I really was 100% with this series up till now, but this is just terrible and lazy. I can't even enjoy the comedy bits because the premise is so hosed. I recently started reading You and I are Polar Opposites, and I appreciate just how much it's willing to hook the main characters up ASAP and actually explore the facets of that relationship, both good and bad. This Kaguya arc by contrast just feels like more status quo for the sake of status quo even after what should have been a major development that moves the story forward. I ended up skipping through a bunch of it because I have zero goddamn patience for more will-they-wont-they shenanigans after the main couple should have by all accounts already hooked up. I really hope this is not indicative of how the rest of the story is because this was absolutely loving awful.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's been a while since I read the chapters involved but it is absolutely not a return to the previous status quo. These two idiots got to the part where they confessed their feelings to each other, and this arc is their first steps to figuring out what comes next. Yeah they backslid a bit in the process but it's only upwards from here.

It also sets up Kashiwagi, the intimacy speedrunner, as Kaguya's romance advisor going forward.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sydin posted:

Right so I've watched the movie episodes and as somebody who's adored this series from the word go: this movie loving sucks. This whole plot arc loving sucks. Shirogane and Kaguya finally confessed and admitted they love one another. We absolutely did not need this return to the status quo. Just have the goddamn courage to move the story onward with them in a relationship without having to spin the wheels for another eternity for the most arbitrary reasons.

Like I'm sorry, I really was 100% with this series up till now, but this is just terrible and lazy. I can't even enjoy the comedy bits because the premise is so hosed. I recently started reading You and I are Polar Opposites, and I appreciate just how much it's willing to hook the main characters up ASAP and actually explore the facets of that relationship, both good and bad. This Kaguya arc by contrast just feels like more status quo for the sake of status quo even after what should have been a major development that moves the story forward. I ended up skipping through a bunch of it because I have zero goddamn patience for more will-they-wont-they shenanigans after the main couple should have by all accounts already hooked up. I really hope this is not indicative of how the rest of the story is because this was absolutely loving awful.

This is such a bizarre take I'm questioning whether you watched the wrong thing and didn't realise it.

There is no will-they-wont-they at all in the "movie" the whole thing is that they have, but now they need to define what that actually means. There is no return to status quo here. In a lot of ways it's actually pretty similar to Polar Opposites but just more melodramatic because this is the geniuses' dumb idiots' war of hearts and brains dramatic bullshit.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sydin posted:

With the conclusions you drew from this movie, you sure as poo poo did

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Proudly not understanding the media I refuse to actually pay attention to.

Imagine watching the first episode open with Kaguya closing a photo album with her wedding ring on and saying "this is just will they won't they again!"

Anyway, this is probably my favoite arc of Kaguya. I love the idea of the immediate follow up the the grand romantic gesture arc being actually that was really unhealthy and also unnecessary, just delaring your love in an empty nondescript park is perfectly acceptable.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 3, 2023

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I wouldn't say back to 'complete status quo' but it definitely felt that if you skipped the movie, you would have no problems continuing straight onto the next season.

Movie was okay. A bit too heavy on the 'internal conversation' scenes, and way too little Chika and Ishigami.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Conclusions posted:

I wouldn't say back to 'complete status quo' but it definitely felt that if you skipped the movie, you would have no problems continuing straight onto the next season.

I feel that's what makes it ideal for the movie format, tbh.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sydin posted:

Bro, people have got on you about this already, but this is a crazy take. The movie is about them moving their relationship to the mext level. To not just be some high school sweethears who had a kiss, but to two people who acknowledge each other's best and worst sides and decide at the end of the day they still truly love each other.

It's really good lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh, I missed the part where you just straight didn't watch a lot of the movie lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got bored with Shinji moping so I skipped a bunch, why is he choking some redhead in front of an orange lake and a giant face?