Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Cody is a good business man and currently the best promo out of anyone involved with the elite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

the bucks + kenny are definetly bigger than cody

For the millions of WWE casual/kid eyeballs they're trying to lure in for their own brand The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega may not even be in the top ten of wrestlers they know. They will know Cody Rhodes and Chris Jericho. That probably matters more when you're sitting down with big money to make a deal. The hardcore crowd are already going to follow them but that's not the crowd that will keep them afloat with a huge payroll to meet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cody is a big star and anyone who claims otherwise is in denial. He drew on the indies before he connected with the Bucks and helped increase ROH's business too.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm really excited about all of this because my one complaint with the elite before was that they were not sufficiently full of themselves

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Cody is a Max Headroom wannabe

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think Cody is just ok in the ring but he's still maybe one of the top 3 heels in the whole business right now. Everything he does out of the ring is pretty much perfect.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
cody is irrelevant as jericho is clearly going to be AEW's breakout star

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Jericho is leaving for this just so he can walk out to something other than "Break The Walls"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if he does i'm revoking GOAT status, i love his theme

also if he does switch he's definitely going to use some lovely fozzy song

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Jericho is leaving for this just so he can walk out to something other than "Break The Walls"

It's gonna be a lovely Fozzy song, yay. I'm curious to see this come to fruition, more wrestling is never a bad thing in my book.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

J-Ro posted:

It's gonna be a lovely Fozzy song, yay. I'm curious to see this come to fruition, more wrestling is never a bad thing in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqURPBtGJzg

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, you guys know he uses Judas by Fozzy in New Japan (and I assume on the cruise as well?), right?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I hope cody figures out his surname situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole "I can totally use Rhodes, and Brandi uses it, but I just don't wanna" excuse reeks of some kind of settlement with WWE where he can't use it when wrestling but also can't disclose why.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cody bores the gently caress out of me in the ring but the man has the inside knowledge of WWE, knows a ton of people there and is so amazingly bitter that I can’t wait to see what he does with Khan money.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

beggar posted:

I hope cody figures out his surname situation.

All Rhodes Wrestling.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, you guys know he uses Judas by Fozzy in New Japan (and I assume on the cruise as well?), right?

:rip:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TalknShop/status/1080153217315438592

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cody has been good to great in some of his New Japan matches and has been super smart in how he built his indy career to ROH. And since he's joined the Elite he's also listening to the Bucks which is also helping with business and style. Again starting a new company is always a risk but I very much doubt that they'll fall into the trap of being WWE lite

Also if this works out get ready for Cody as Wrestler of the Year front runner in the WOR awards

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

I’m not sure what this means

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
there is absolutely no downside in any of this except for maybe a few tens of very very rich, mostly absolutely terrible human beings. we will get, worst case, a few months of an interesting project before it explodes and things go back to normal. best case scenario, wrestlers finally have the power to unionize and we get some amazing guys back on top of their game

It means that talkin shop the podcast which began when they were in New Japan hanging out with their cool friends the bullet club is coming back

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

J-Ro posted:

Stay tuned for four hour Raws, part of the Fresh Start in 2019!!!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

ThePariah posted:

hosed up if they use gambling terms for show names and don't run a show in Vegas.

They should hold it in Macau, complete with Formula 3 cars flying into the stands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

As we learned from PAC, they make it basically impossible for you TO quit now so the only WWE people who might jump are those that are at the end of their deal and want to make a big gamble. Even for people at the bottom there’s a risk since they are giving up comfortable deals for a more risky long-term proposition; I’d suggest that there’s gently caress all chance of an AJ who’s in a cushty spot right now to give that one up.

Big question is what New Japan does: that could be significant - even if Kenny goes the value of occasionally bringing in someone like Okada or Naito could add to business.

People can quit WWE as long as they don’t have a tantrum and walk out on the day of a show.

And aren’t Bryan Danielson.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

People can quit WWE as long as they don’t have a tantrum and walk out on the day of a show.

And aren’t Bryan Danielson.

Or Rey Mysterio.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

And aren’t an act that could potentially capitalize off of any popularity gained in the WWE.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

any theories on why hangman's phone said all elite wrestling but everyone else's phone said double or nothing. and why didn't they change the automatic dimming. were those morse code signals

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

any theories on why hangman's phone said all elite wrestling but everyone else's phone said double or nothing. and why didn't they change the automatic dimming. were those morse code signals

Hangman is clearly the commissioner of AEW and this was Tony Khan's way of telling them by making sure he got the special text.

Also yes, the morse code spells out "EAT AT CRACKER BARREL"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Tomahawk posted:

I’m not sure what this means

it means don't get super attached to botch club I'd guess

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Stay tuned for four hour Raws, part of the Fresh Start in 2019!!!

gently caress!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
SMH @ wresting promotions in 2019 that don't have a women's division

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm sure they'll grab anyone dropped by that GLOW-lite show on AXS once it bombs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1080148025626976257

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

there is absolutely no downside in any of this except for maybe a few tens of very very rich, mostly absolutely terrible human beings. we will get, worst case, a few months of an interesting project before it explodes and things go back to normal. best case scenario, wrestlers finally have the power to unionize and we get some amazing guys back on top of their game
Having a union or at the very least employee status would probably be a big way in getting people out from WWE or turn down a NXT contract; and the very very near impossible improbable scenario is by doing this would pressure WWE to actually changing the status of its workers from the bullshit/illegal independent contractor status they give talent.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Midnightghoul posted:

SMH @ wresting promotions in 2019 that don't have a women's division

Gonna need to give Brandi a belt somehow!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

as long as they're not stupid enough to put it head to head against WWE they should be fine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

as long as they're not stupid enough to put it head to head against WWE they should be fine

Yeah I assumed they registered the "Tuesday Night Dynamite" trademark specifically because it's a night Smackdown will soon be vacating

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, they can fairly easily re-trademark it with another day if whoever they get TV with wants them on a different night.

The real question is who's on the table for TV. Is it your big names like ESPN/Disney or is it niche-cable like AXS, or wose like what Impact airs on?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 1, 2019

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, they can fairly easily re-trademark it with another day if whoever they get TV with wants them on a different night.

The real question is who's on the table for TV. Is it your big names like ESPN/Disney or is it niche-cable like AXS, or wose like what Impact airs on?

Watch it be Paramount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

are they going to go drive a jeep around the Smackdown parking lot next week?