Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Here's an example of a server that was installed in a church:

quote:

The supercomputer has been beefed up over the years. Most recently, the fourth iteration came online in 2017 "with a peak computing capacity of 11 thousand trillion operations per second (11.15 petaflops)," reports Motherboard. "MareNostrum 4 is spread over 48 server racks comprising a total of 3,456 nodes. A node consists of two Intel chips, each of which has 24 processors."

The first thing I would do with my space (which I can imagine being terabytes of ram with petabytes of storage) is run a binary tree to extreme multi dimensional arrays in various scenarios

I'd love to compile software on that. I think my network would explode if I compiled software on that datacenter server because of the sheer amount of data being sent to my location

Heres the candy, I can imagine its running Linux

./configure --prefix=~/.home/newland && make clean && make -j `cpucount` (I forgot the actual command)

This will compile software instantly using ALL processors, the data storage would be so closely calculated it would beat the SNOT out of ZFS and maybe BTRFS

Parallel compiles, Id never go on the IRC network. If there was a BBS, Id never leave my house (I never do)

What would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
You know there’s some serious bandwidth in those data centers. I have a gigabit connection, I’d run x11 forwarding till the cows came home, on windows none the less

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

1gnoirents posted:

Nicehash, unironically. Just to see man...

You’d probably make enough to pay their electricity bill!

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

poemdexter posted:

I'd probably go for calculating the next prime number.

I’m in the process of doing this on my hardware, but a super computer would make these things super fast, especially with a nice custom terminal.. maybe a p3 600 running FreeBSD 12-stable i386 using fbterm on a crt?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

K8.0 posted:

Rent it to North Korea or something. They'd probably pay real well for that time. I could use the money to build a bunker, I guess.

You obviously haven’t met the Bastard Operator From Hell. He’d put you in FreeBSD jail

The stipulations of the thread would be getting like a shell account on a supercomputer

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

See how many Toy Story Movies it can render in a day.

Lmao I can imagine what the admin would think.. probably “hmm one of the users really seems to like toy story”

unidef freeman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2019

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
What kind of software would everyone develop? And what language/build system/is/virtualization hypervisor, code paradigms, etc? Be as detailed as possible!

unidef freeman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

AgentCow007 posted:

Is this your compsci homework?

No. I haven’t been enrolled in a college in 10 years. Im just a brother who loves computers