Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
I played Microscope with a group once and had a good time, is Fellowship sort of in that vein? Interested in the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

1upmuffin posted:

I played Microscope with a group once and had a good time, is Fellowship sort of in that vein? Interested in the bundle.

Depends on what you mean by "in that vein." Fellowship gives players a lot of control over the world (officially, you, the player, are the one who gets to tell us about your people--so e.g. if you play the Dragon, you get to decide what dragons are, what they're like, and what their culture is), and it has some good rules for a structured, shared world-building session at the start of the game, but the actual gameplay of Fellowship is "a party of heroes going on journeys and having adventures," not "a shared experience of building a world and its history" like Microscope.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

To be overly reductionist, Fellowship is "Let's roleplay the Lord of the Rings" and Microscope is "Let's semi-collaboratively design (with some RPing) a Manichean fantasy world where evil never seems to be truly defeated, but resurges in cycles."

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023

GimpInBlack posted:

Depends on what you mean by "in that vein." Fellowship gives players a lot of control over the world (officially, you, the player, are the one who gets to tell us about your people--so e.g. if you play the Dragon, you get to decide what dragons are, what they're like, and what their culture is), and it has some good rules for a structured, shared world-building session at the start of the game, but the actual gameplay of Fellowship is "a party of heroes going on journeys and having adventures," not "a shared experience of building a world and its history" like Microscope.

Gotcha, thank you, this makes sense.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Admiralty Flag posted:

To be overly reductionist, Fellowship is "Let's roleplay the Lord of the Rings" and Microscope is "Let's semi-collaboratively design (with some RPing) a Manichean fantasy world where evil never seems to be truly defeated, but resurges in cycles."

ehhhh IMO Microscope's Light/Dark system is meant more to reflect how historical events often have counterintuitive ramifications but that's certainly one way you can use it

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xand_Man posted:

ehhhh IMO Microscope's Light/Dark system is meant more to reflect how historical events often have counterintuitive ramifications but that's certainly one way you can use it

Sure, I was just talking about the specific example of Tolkien -- asking what's the "thesis statement" (I can't remember the actual term) that you'd use to frame a game of Microscope for Middle Earth as a whole through the ages.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ah, nuts, I had surgery like RIGHT before the BoH, and now that I'm back on the computer, I find out I missed it! Well, at least Fellowship Ultimate Edition will probably happen eventually.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

update: I spent above my means and bought all of Fellowship 2E because it's a real good game

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

You have purchased wisely.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

You have purchased wisely.

Not THAT wisely, as it turns out, because Blaseball ended forever, necessitating me purchasing a bevy of related clothing from the store, so I'm broke as hell!

...But I have a culturally-important jacket and a sickass tabletop game, so it's all cool.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

For the Turncoat option in 'What is a Spy'- should players be made aware that the Spy is playing as a turncoat?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Skeletome posted:

For the Turncoat option in 'What is a Spy'- should players be made aware that the Spy is playing as a turncoat?

I'd say yes, for three main reasons.

1) Fellowship is a very collaborative game in a lot of ways, and there aren't great ways to handle long-term intra-party conflict. It's better to have everyone knowingly work together on the story of this character possibly betraying the party than it is to do a bunch of wrangling to somehow make it a secret the rest of the party needs to pry out OOC.

2) It's a very specific mechanical effect. There's good odds that the rest of the party is going to realize the Spy isn't throwing bombs, doing stunts or breaking hearts, but they do seem to know every major enemy the party meets.

3) If the rest of the party doesn't notice, they might not do anything to investigate the Spy because why would they assume their IRL friend's character would betray them? This goes back to point one, where it's better to tell players that there's a fun investigative story to be had here than it is to just hope they stumble across it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Something I should have set up ages ago but literally just, did not check if I could:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/453707/Fellowship-Complete-Collection-BUNDLE

Fellowship is now available as a hardcover collection. Get all four books for $60 off!

okay now i go back into hiding until i manage to write something again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just checking, has there been any progress wrt the next Fellowship edition? i was really impressed with the outline.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have not worked on any games making or writing in months, unfortunately. The burnout hit me so hard.

I am looking over my outlines and notes from last time I tried to write this and am also impressed with past-Vel.

So there is no progress to report, but thanks for the check-in all the same, it got me looking at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Huh, I didn't know you could bundle multiple PoD books. I'll plan on picking those up once the trickle from the Vault ticks over the required amount.