Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's one big change. Instead of your class and abilities giving you extra Stress boxes that don't count towards Fallout, they give you Stress Resistance and reduce the amount of Stress you take in the first place. That means under Heart rules, characters can take a LOT more stress over a longer period. That's an easy change to retrofit to Spire, but it's going to change the Stress economy significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

mllaneza posted:

There's one big change. Instead of your class and abilities giving you extra Stress boxes that don't count towards Fallout, they give you Stress Resistance and reduce the amount of Stress you take in the first place. That means under Heart rules, characters can take a LOT more stress over a longer period. That's an easy change to retrofit to Spire, but it's going to change the Stress economy significantly.

To be fair, Heart forces the players to roll if they want to advance, while Spire can be a lot more conservative with its rolls. Retrofitting the resistance system would change a lot about the pace of the game, and I'm not sure it would be for the better.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

For the record I'm doing a Fatal and Friends read-through/review right now.

Oh, excellent! I was going to do a Let's Read, but I'll follow along instead!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, Spire's resistance system works exactly for what it needs to - undergunned, undermanned, ever-hustling terrorists against the tide of oppressors with too much of everything to hope to fight off.

I really appreciate the subtle shift in perspective in Heart. Derelictus goes from the slum of slums in Spire to comparative refuge in Heart, it's little touches like that that I think really sell "different part of the same world.".

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, Spire's resistance system works exactly for what it needs to - undergunned, undermanned, ever-hustling terrorists against the tide of oppressors with too much of everything to hope to fight off.

I really appreciate the subtle shift in perspective in Heart. Derelictus goes from the slum of slums in Spire to comparative refuge in Heart, it's little touches like that that I think really sell "different part of the same world.".

I adore both the core mechanic and the stress economy of Spire. And I recognize that some mechanics work for very specific feels. And while I wouldn't want the Resistance to become a totally generic system, if it could cover various themes and power levels like *World, man, that would make me happy.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I've been working on a Resistance based game focused around replicating the experience of classic JRPGs and Heart has really given me a lot of ideas for how the system could work. There's a really nice sliding scale between "fallout checks only watch a single track at a time" to "remove the two highest dice from your rolls result". You could probably tune it way to the mild side with Heart stress rules and single stress stat fallout rolls.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

Well, one of the stretch goals that funded is the Spire Conversion Kit--granted, that's more pitched as "using Spire classes in Heart" rather than "use Heart mechanics in Spire," but I have to imagine that will get you at least 75% of the way there.

Burned and Broken (as it’s titled I think) is more the process of Spire characters becoming Heart characters and isn’t quite a conversion kit. The issue is more that there’s no Calling-equivalent in Spire; maybe Durance, if you reflavour it to “why do you hate the regime?”. Plus you’d need to come up with all the beats, although you’d probably want “choose 2, achieve 1” for Spire’s pace.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I've been working on a Resistance based game focused around replicating the experience of classic JRPGs and Heart has really given me a lot of ideas for how the system could work. There's a really nice sliding scale between "fallout checks only watch a single track at a time" to "remove the two highest dice from your rolls result". You could probably tune it way to the mild side with Heart stress rules and single stress stat fallout rolls.

Please share when you've got enough to do so - that sounds delightful! "Replicating a JRPG experience" sounds like a really insightful fit for the Resistance.

I've been working on a She-Ra hack (to focus on core mechanics and designing classes and callings), and a cyberpunk reskin (which is more about adding crunch for specific things, akin to delves and Blades in the Dark). I think there's a lot of potential - the core mechanic is both solid and flexible, and I could see it supporting a spectrum of games akin to 2d20.

LazyAngel posted:

Burned and Broken (as it’s titled I think) is more the process of Spire characters becoming Heart characters and isn’t quite a conversion kit. The issue is more that there’s no Calling-equivalent in Spire; maybe Durance, if you reflavour it to “why do you hate the regime?”. Plus you’d need to come up with all the beats, although you’d probably want “choose 2, achieve 1” for Spire’s pace.

For anybody who hasn't read it, this post over on RRD has a good preview of how they're replacing Calling with Fall.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CitizenKeen posted:

Please share when you've got enough to do so - that sounds delightful! "Replicating a JRPG experience" sounds like a really insightful fit for the Resistance.

I've been working on a She-Ra hack (to focus on core mechanics and designing classes and callings), and a cyberpunk reskin (which is more about adding crunch for specific things, akin to delves and Blades in the Dark). I think there's a lot of potential - the core mechanic is both solid and flexible, and I could see it supporting a spectrum of games akin to 2d20.

Thank you for your kind words! We've got a rough draft in some level of completion at this point (and in playtesting!), so I can talk a bit about some of the changes we made to the basic way the system works.

Skills are still mostly the same, relabeled Styles. However, Domains have been replaced with Moods. While a Style represents what you are good at Moods represent your personality, values, and how you relate to the world. Moods are things like Dread, Rage, Idealism. Unlike Domains however, Moods have weaknesses. Dread might make it harder to offer someone mercy, convince them you're there to help, or do the sort of thing the pure of heart might do - while Rage might make it harder to keep your cool when you lose something important, or your loved ones are in danger. Idealism, of course, might become a weakness when someone is trying to dupe you. In these situations the system switches from Spire's more lenient Difficulty to Heart Difficulty (remove the highest die) The other big change mechanically is the stress that serves the rough mechanical purpose of Fortune in Heart or Reputation/Shadow in Spire is rolled into a new resistance called Kismet that is shared across the party, and very difficult to reduce, representing the Empire catching up to you, or just general bad luck. Also, because this is a JRPG experience, another big thing is there is a communally shared airship with it's own stress bar, advances, and traits.

Honestly, this whole game came out of me and a friend bitching about how there weren't any good TTRPGs for emulating the classic JRPG experience. The Dragon Quests and Final Fantasies and the Chrono Triggers. We wanted to capture their sense of adventure, blend of humor and poignancy and ability to grapple with dark things without losing their sense of hope. There's always an Empire, and it always Falls.

E: Quest Advances (such as the Knight might have) are also much more prominent. Each of the nine archetypes has at least one as a high advance, representing a big, action-packed bit - such as the Rogue pulling the heist of a lifetime, or the Turncoat stealing an Imperial Superweapon for your airship.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That sounds awesome!

How is the appropriate Mood defined? In Spire/Heart, a Domain is defined by the scene, which I think is key - it prevents players from narrating their way into their strengths. This is just an Academic or Haven scene - you have it or you don't. Is a scene Idealistic? What defines Moods?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
An outgrowth of the scene combined with the character's reaction to it, with certain reactions being natural but not necessarily a good idea. That only really works if playing in good faith/not trying to Game The System, ofc. (Then again if people at your table aren't playing in Good Faith you have bigger issues)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think that's a general principle for more narrative games. They don't respond well to trying to optimize mechanically, and a game like Spire isn't even designed for that since pretty much everything you could get is meant to be useful and not to require too much thinking about synergies or mechanical elements. I like crunch in some games and systems, but part of what I enjoy about Spire is being able to just say 'this is a cool Durance that would make this character type interesting' and have it work out no matter what the combo was.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Think I'm going to start playing around with backporting Heart class/calling mechanics back into Spire (I have a game full of guinea pigs to test it on, after all). Thoughts so far;

Durances basically become a core advance; some of them opening up the equivalent of Extra Advances

Flatten High abilities into Major advance + Minor - maybe have some with specific Beat prerequisites, like the Knight's quests. Stuff which has requirements, like the Charnelite's summoning, or the Lajhan's oracle path would be a Major advance with attendent Minors.

Scrap Reputation, replace with Fortune for immediate cock-ups. Shadow can take the long term reputation/cover damage role.

Extra Advances would require a Durance (Armed Forces, frex), or turn their entrance requirement into a Beat or two. Most would have the Minor Advance you get for joining, then a Major Advance or two to represent paths through the extra (conduit vs military skills for the Armed Forces, once again).

Minister Extra Advance would be a set of Minor/Major/Zenith advances available for everyone - probably cut down Class Zenith advances to two each, and add the inevitable Retire (or Promoted)/Betray the Ministry/Martyred advances for anyone to have an exit.

For Callings, replace with Drive - why you're joining forces with the Ministry. Off the top of my head, Faithful (a true Lombre believer), Wronged (Classic out for revenge), Broken (the Ministry picked you up, but you're not a true believer), Revolutionary (maybe get Vigil access?), Hopeful (less angry, more desire to bring about a better Spire), Bought (more mercenary, maybe get resources in payment, but aren't a Minister proper?)

Might be some Beats attached to the Extras, maybe work the existing 'make changes to Spire' as a Major Beat anyone can hit, if the story permits.

Thinking of scrapping general refresh, replace with resources and maybe some of the advances to let players dump stress. Maybe formalise the whole 'spend time, but the adversaries advance' - maybe rework the Delve structure into an antagonistic investigation, or use as progress towards a Heist?

Very rough notes; might have to wait until I finish my F&F.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Here's a very rough and incomplete re-working of the Azurite under these theories - comments are welcome. I've tried to stick to Heart patterns of abilities - 5 common minors (get domain, get skill, get +1 protection to one of 4 tracks, get +2 protection to one of 2 tracks), 4 that have a skill + perk (usually a 1/session), 4 that have a domain + perk.

Then Majors are roughly equivalent to a good Low or a Medium, with the High stuff working with the add-on Minor advances for each.

Really, really rough, especially given that the Azurite is probably one of the less rich Spire classes, so I've tried to add in some interaction with the resource system.

I'm also toying with the idea of an Investigation with a similar structure to a Delve, so I may flavour one of the Majors around a kind of forensic accounting.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I've been playing in a Heart game for a few months, and its rapidly become my favorite game. The weird nature of the classes and setting flow perfectly in the rules, I'm just sad its not more popular.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So as someone who just got into Spire thanks to the amazing bundle of holding deal, I have some questions for folks who are more experienced with the system: Does the base "add all stress when checking for fallout" make characters as incredibly fragile as it seems?
Also how have you handled stress tracking? I'm not a fan of the suggested "The GM knows, and doesn't tell players their scores but instead uses flavor descriptions"
I think I'd lean towards having my players track their stress and when I hand out more asking where it puts them, then rolling for fallout.
I also lean towards having the different stresses count as different tracks -per the alternate rules for more heroic play. Ideally I'm looking for a feel where the characters are a tad less resilient than say a blades in the dark PC, but the trade off is costs to people around them.
I don't want to be the guy who immediately houserules or modifies a system before playing it, but I also don't want to merc and stomp a group that's used to beefier characters and not being punished for risks.
Reading the thread I get that part of the theme is only roll if it's meaningful, but I don't want to get into a "Ok players try to engineer ways you avoid touching the dice, because that's how you lose" like some old school dungeon crawl.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 3, 2020

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So, I just noticed this thread after falling in love with Spire and Heart thanks to LazyAngel's F&F reviews. If I wanted to try to GM a game, probably Heart over Spire, what should I know in advance? When I have some free time I'm going to try and read some lp's to see what it's like.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

So as someone who just got into Spire thanks to the amazing bundle of holding deal, I have some questions for folks who are more experienced with the system: Does the base "add all stress when checking for fallout" make characters as incredibly fragile as it seems?
Also how have you handled stress tracking? I'm not a fan of the suggested "The GM knows, and doesn't tell players their scores but instead uses flavor descriptions"
I think I'd lean towards having my players track their stress and when I hand out more asking where it puts them, then rolling for fallout.
I also lean towards having the different stresses count as different tracks -per the alternate rules for more heroic play. Ideally I'm looking for a feel where the characters are a tad less resilient than say a blades in the dark PC, but the trade off is costs to people around them.
I don't want to be the guy who immediately houserules or modifies a system before playing it, but I also don't want to merc and stomp a group that's used to beefier characters and not being punished for risks.
Reading the thread I get that part of the theme is only roll if it's meaningful, but I don't want to get into a "Ok players try to engineer ways you avoid touching the dice, because that's how you lose" like some old school dungeon crawl.

The characters are fragile with the base stress system, but that is intentional as they aren't supposed to be automatically on top, the cell is the underdog. Playing with individual tracks instead is totally fine though, I've done both and they'll still get hurt plenty.

I'd say your players can track their own stress, they dropped the hidden aspect for Heart and it doesn't change the feel of the games I think.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gorefiend posted:

The characters are fragile with the base stress system, but that is intentional as they aren't supposed to be automatically on top, the cell is the underdog. Playing with individual tracks instead is totally fine though, I've done both and they'll still get hurt plenty.

I'd say your players can track their own stress, they dropped the hidden aspect for Heart and it doesn't change the feel of the games I think.

Yeah, and I totally want there to be risks and for them to feel like the pressure is on, which I think just having a dice system where there's between 25-75% chance of taking stress from any action that requires a roll builds towards. I just see the pooled stress, especially with hidden values leading to some of my players becoming risk adverse, since after 2 rolls they'll potentially be looking at nasty blowback.
The seperate pools and player facing numbers I feel would lead more to my table saying "Ok we need to do a heist to get cash" or "Ok we need to go do something that refreshes my character and can help rebuild my cover"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Another quick question: what have you folks used for character sheets, especially on stuff like roll20? I'm not a fan of the spire sheet uploaded to the site, it looks a bit more confusing than the default sheet to someone who doesn't know the rules, and since there's no compendium or SRD integration, I think I might just give my players the fillable pdf to use.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Another quick question: what have you folks used for character sheets, especially on stuff like roll20? I'm not a fan of the spire sheet uploaded to the site, it looks a bit more confusing than the default sheet to someone who doesn't know the rules, and since there's no compendium or SRD integration, I think I might just give my players the fillable pdf to use.

I've just been using an online campaign tracker (Chronica) for sheets (and playing in text via Discord, which is slow but works), but have considered shifting to Google Docs or Sheets for the characters.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've wound up using the roll20 sheets since they do work a little better than they seem to at first blush, but still don't calculate and do math you'd expect them to.
About 2 full sessions in, things are going pretty well. Does everyone else import mechanics like clocks for factions and npc movement behind the scenes? I feel like having that little bit more structure for successes and failures (especially partials or multirolls) helps a bit more than just strict GM handwaving, especially so there's some trade off with 'ok I wanna spend this session reducing bond stress' or 'we're taking the full refresh action'

So far my players are big fans, the roughest convert has been a player who has only really done d&d and crunchier stuff feeling some things are arbitrary, and also being more used to 'good' choices and tactics being rewarded and 'bad' ones punished.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there a preference for the regular fallout rules or the 'less lethal' fallout rules?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

It varies in my experience, and also depends on the tone of the game. The less lethal option will make your game more heroic feeling, while the baseline rules make the characters very mortal.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a preference for the regular fallout rules or the 'less lethal' fallout rules?

I've found the 'less lethal' is good for figuring out dice rolls and learning the game, also lets you do stuff that requires multiple successes (whether by using clocks or making the PCs fill an NPCs stress boxes they same way they would in a fight). The downside is if you have someone trying to 'win' you'll see a lot more strategic plays and bargaining to spread stress around between categories.
Like in my game, 4 sessions in my players taking risks are banking between 3 -15 total stress counting their resistance slot freebies. They're still only getting a 0-30% chance of fallout on a roll. If playing the standard rules, any given failure or partial success would be literally risking character death at this point.
I'd say the biggest drawback to characters surviving this much is we're starting to hit advancement bloat, and I'm having to get far more miserly about low advances, since it can be tricky to keep track of 7-10 powers and abilities for some.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
My d&d player is still dragging us down by trying too hard to negotiate their way out of consequences and costs or mother-may-I and rules lawyer their way out of dice rolls and stress. I'll probably post a rant about them in the chat thread, since it's not spire specific. Just the usual player with bad habits and traumas from particular genres, and potentially the warnings in the first pages of the book.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DalaranJ posted:

The "less lethal" rules are the only ones that make sense imo. Default fallout rules introduce some weird behavior re: narrative conditions when clearing it comes into play. Can't comment on the difficulty or lack thereof except in the Heart playtest (in which standard fallout was ridiculously, horribly lethal).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SkyeAuroline posted:

The "less lethal" rules are the only ones that make sense imo. Default fallout rules introduce some weird behavior re: narrative conditions when clearing it comes into play. Can't comment on the difficulty or lack thereof except in the Heart playtest (in which standard fallout was ridiculously, horribly lethal).

In Heart I think it's a bit more fitting though, since it's pitched as a horror game. Both do say 'this will kill your character,' but with Spire, it feels more like just setting up that the game is one of underdogs with high stakes. I don't see everyone coming to the table in a horror game sure they'll all be the the final girl.
Also Heart's resistance system where it's more of a soak vs free slots seems to click better to me if going off one pool.
Part of the problem I think with Spire's resistance stats is how they're presented on the character sheets. Copying the old white wolf system of bubbles marking your permanent slots and check boxes for filling in used ones probably would have conveyed it better.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, the Heart playtest is a bad "real" demonstration of how the system works in practice by virtue of being at the crossroads of "let's make the system harsher!" and actual glaring mistakes in game design that combined to make it overly punishing. Can't manage to get a Spire group, so that's all I've got for experience, though.

My issues with the single pool system are more narrative consistency based than mechanical. Resistances are already in the same category as "hit points" where the actual stress taken to them is very arbitrary in what it actually represents until it collapses into a consequence. When you have a shared pool and consequence collapses refresh the total even though only one resistance was actually responsible for the consequence, a disconnect comes into play. The Lancer community's game design chat floated this pretty much every time Resistance System came up, with what a mod called "the girlfriend problem", but works better as an example without involving bonds - you get in a fight, you get knocked around pretty bad, you're riding high on Blood stress but it hasn't actually been collapsed to a consequence yet. Outside that fight, you have to deal with some other issue, receiving stress to any of the other four resistances (the initial "girlfriend problem" used "a fight with your girlfriend", because the rules discussed at the time lacked bond stress, but any resistance applies). You don't have time to go rest. You've got... Let's say 7 Blood stress, and you suffer 2 Silver stress at a low-stakes card game trying to get close to a contact (and losing coin in the process). You roll a 5 and catch Fallout. What happens?

Every answer immediately causes narrative dissonance. RAW, the default would be to take a Severe Silver fallout, so at this friendly penny poker-equivalent card game you somehow suffer something equivalent to "you have one chance to raise a fortune to pay off loan sharks" or "you betray the party for money to pay off your debt". As an alternative, you could do something Blood-based as it's the majority resistance, at which point you instead suffer something equivalent to immediately dying. Manage to survive either way? Well, you clear 7 stress... wait, because I lost some money at a card game I suddenly don't have to go to the hospital so badly?

Separate resistance tracks erase this as a problem and solve the only major mechanical issue I have with Spire.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, at my table it feels like pooled stress would frequently lead to sort of situation where you'd take the book's suggestion of downgrading to mutiples of the lower tiered fallouts, since it would make more sense narratively; The low stakes gambling shouldn't lead to financial ruin or the character bleeding out from wounds from a day or two ago. So I'm now defacto seperating the different stresses into different pools, just with room to make it seem unfair and arbitrary when stuff like "Last session Jane lost a PC at 9 stress, following something small. This session John walked away from 16 stress with only 2 minor and a moderate fallout."
Hell, I'm already getting the risk adverse player quibbling about why they think certain abilities should make them a perfect master of disguise immune from risks or consequences. If they felt I wasn't applying rules evenly it would get worse.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

My d&d player is still dragging us down by trying too hard to negotiate their way out of consequences and costs or mother-may-I and rules lawyer their way out of dice rolls and stress.

Coolness Averted posted:

Hell, I'm already getting the risk adverse player quibbling about why they think certain abilities should make them a perfect master of disguise immune from risks or consequences.

I have a dude with this exact attitude in my Blades game and it's making an otherwise fun game really loving drag at times. He's a D&D-alikes-only guy too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I have a dude with this exact attitude in my Blades game and it's making an otherwise fun game really loving drag at times. He's a D&D-alikes-only guy too.

I've been trying to bribe them with stuff like "Ok folks, I'd say the humiliation you caused a small gang could get you a minor advance if we say they're still claiming this turf but won't be putting on any displays of ownership or harassing the locals. We can make it a medium advance if they've fully abandoned it. That will mean the bigger scarier sharks are going to move in and claim it."
The d&d player immediately pounced on that. We'll see if that means they're starting to get the flow of the game, or if they insist the flavor text of an ability means bad things never happen.
My favorite rules lawyer moment (and the only one where I actually deviated from RAW) so far was when they corrected me that a d4 stress was invalid, and the rules require a d3, d6, or d8. When I asked "Ok, so d3 was too small, but I didn't want to bump you all the way up to a d6, should we go with a d6?" they dropped it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Doubleposting to help bump the thread, but I can't recommend the Shadow Operations Book enough. It's a really great collection of one shot adventure hooks for Spire. I've peppered a few of the adventures from it into my regular game as distractions from the main plot for our season, and as a way of kinda nudge the group into doing things. It's also my favorite sort of adventure supplement "Here's a bunch of props, and some scene ideas. Set the players loose and see what happens."
I also like that all of the adventures are pretty easily tweaked to fit into something ongoing, so you can insert factions and NPCs the group has already encountered and also gives suggested rewards for integrating into an ongoing game.
My group ran the "How to Steal a Body" story last night and almost immediately decided they were going to weekend at bernie's the corpse with no prompting. The only thing I'm sad about was when given the option of stuffing the body in a kebab cart or palanquin they opted for the palanquin, but it fit the weekend at bernie's motife so was all good.
So far bribing with better advances or material benefits for risk is working a bit better with the D&D player, but I still need to have a private talk with them about spotlight time and maybe giving the other players a little more of a chance to do their ideas. A player commented privately to me that it felt like if I ever stopped speaking the D&D player was immediately launching into what his character did -at one point even talking over me to explain what he wanted to do when I specifically asked another player.
I appreciate the enthusiasm but they come from an improv background too so I think aren't quite used to a moment of silence and expect everyone to be shouting over each other when in freeform RP mode, with combat providing the structure that prevents that.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A whole extra book is being kickstarted
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/sin-a-spire-rpg-sourcebook

and it is blowing through its stretch goals quite convincingly

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
This doing well is great, because it means we might get more books for other domains.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

This doing well is great, because it means we might get more books for other domains.

Well, we've got Black Magic for Occult, Strata for Low/High Society, and now Sin for Crime, Order and Religion. Just leaves Academia and Technology which seem like they fit together, plus Commerce which is always a bit of an outsider.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Coolness Averted posted:

Doubleposting to help bump the thread, but I can't recommend the Shadow Operations Book enough. It's a really great collection of one shot adventure hooks for Spire. I've peppered a few of the adventures from it into my regular game as distractions from the main plot for our season, and as a way of kinda nudge the group into doing things. It's also my favorite sort of adventure supplement "Here's a bunch of props, and some scene ideas. Set the players loose and see what happens."
I also like that all of the adventures are pretty easily tweaked to fit into something ongoing, so you can insert factions and NPCs the group has already encountered and also gives suggested rewards for integrating into an ongoing game.
My group ran the "How to Steal a Body" story last night and almost immediately decided they were going to weekend at bernie's the corpse with no prompting. The only thing I'm sad about was when given the option of stuffing the body in a kebab cart or palanquin they opted for the palanquin, but it fit the weekend at bernie's motife so was all good.
So far bribing with better advances or material benefits for risk is working a bit better with the D&D player, but I still need to have a private talk with them about spotlight time and maybe giving the other players a little more of a chance to do their ideas. A player commented privately to me that it felt like if I ever stopped speaking the D&D player was immediately launching into what his character did -at one point even talking over me to explain what he wanted to do when I specifically asked another player.
I appreciate the enthusiasm but they come from an improv background too so I think aren't quite used to a moment of silence and expect everyone to be shouting over each other when in freeform RP mode, with combat providing the structure that prevents that.

I've had to just straight-up say "Shut up, <name>, it's <other name>'s turn right now. You'll get one too." to a few players who weren't getting the spotlight concept right away. Mostly after gentler hints failed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

I've had to just straight-up say "Shut up, <name>, it's <other name>'s turn right now. You'll get one too." to a few players who weren't getting the spotlight concept right away. Mostly after gentler hints failed.

Yeah, I was just downright surprised they actively talked over the GM to proclaim an action that would try and make another character's moot. The session I was posting about probably had them at their worst. They also failed a roll at one point and argued I chose the wrong consequence. I was wrong to say their attempt to shoot an animal to scare a pack of beasts away resulted in the beasts attacking the group. They should have still fled from the sound of gunfire, but the character who failed the attack should have been embarrassed and taken a rep hit for it.
So that's what the player felt was an acceptable failure condition: "you get exactly what you want, but look silly." Other characters getting a chance to instead shine in combat was too much.

They actually got better about spotlight hogging in a few later sessions, even if they were still really bad about trying to bargain out of penny ante impacts or stretch low tier advances beyond any reasonable expectation of how they should work. Scheduling conflicts made them drop out of the game though, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just read through Sin and it is fantastic. The Mortician Executioner is so fun. I just wish Heart would get a book like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Just read through Sin and it is fantastic. The Mortician Executioner is so fun. I just wish Heart would get a book like this.

Nothing official, but a buddy of mine released an unofficial supplement called Ichor-Drowned. Contains multiple new classes, a new calling (Retribution), a different take on the Heart as a psedo-oceanic setting, vehicle rules, a Tarot-inspired deck for delve creation, and an adventure about breaking into the Incarnadine afterlife. It's gotten a lot of good feedback on the RRD discord. I'm biased, obviously but I think it's worth picking up.

https://sillionl.itch.io/ichor-drowned