Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Also I heard people speaking foreign in town the other day, this is England. Speak English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Coming here with the Islamist Ray guns

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREAKFAST MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I still maintain that Guto Bebb is definitely a star wars character.
Who would win in a fight, Star Wars EU (resignation)'s Guto Bebb, WH40k's Baroness Blood, 2000 AD's Lord Chief Justice Judge Igor Judge, Baron Judge, or the Beano's Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

May's deal being put to the people and rejected could potentially be a massive win for Labour, since it leaves the Tories with all the blame for Brexit being cancelled because they couldn't negotiate a decent deal. So it makes sense for them to back the Kyle amendment. The biggest risk is if the public actually back May's deal then Labour will get the fallout for facilitating Brexit. High risk, high reward.

we're absolutely getting Mays deal then

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rat, did you get bitten by a radioactive gammon? :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Also I heard people speaking foreign in town the other day, this is England. Speak English

This is britain, speak brythonic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1101416640728780801

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1101420441288261632

Jose fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 1, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

This is britain, speak brythonic.
The Pictish National Party won't be happy with that.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Ratjaculation posted:

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT MEANS BREXIT Etc...

I could totally hear this with a hardcore trance backing track.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some good news

https://twitter.com/SatbirLSingh/status/1101423544179802112

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

there is no good brexit policy

This one is fairly unique in that it guarantees pissing everyone, literally everyone, off in some public and memorable way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The US published its trade requirements yesterday

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/Summary_of_U.S.-UK_Negotiating_Objectives.pdf

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

This one is fairly unique in that it guarantees pissing everyone, literally everyone, off in some public and memorable way.

It's not going to pass anyway so what does it matter?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Looking forward to my landlord kicking me out and having to arrange moving countries from a Starbucks

Here I'll translate: "lol you want trade? let us do whatever the gently caress we want, tia"

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 1, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can you imagine if May's deal passes, how much crowing she will do about it? She'll be selling it as her crowning achievement, borne of masterful negotiation, politician of the century style stuff

Her beaming smug face will be intolerable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We should adopt China's position on foreign IP after Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can you imagine if May's deal passes, how much crowing she will do about it? She'll be selling it as her crowning achievement, borne of masterful negotiation, politician of the century style stuff

Her beaming smug face will be intolerable

I mean, I definitely would do the same in her position, even if she is the very definition of the hundredth idiot. Nobody with a brain would have expected her to manage it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

It's not going to pass anyway so what does it matter?

Because it's being proposed at all and it's a terrible idea. I think the 'well we tried literally everything and Brexit still happened' is a fairly sound strategy but this somehow means letting it through while also standing in the way, there's no sound reasoning and just seems more like a panic move.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tsietisin posted:

I could totally hear this with a hardcore trance backing track.

It's not quite trance, but...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Because it's being proposed at all and it's a terrible idea. I think the 'well we tried literally everything and Brexit still happened' is a fairly sound strategy but this somehow means letting it through while also standing in the way, there's no sound reasoning and just seems more like a panic move.

It's happenng regardless of what labour do, if they manage to get a vote on it that's better than them just blocking it and stuffing us out with no deal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

genuinely impressed at how badly he fucks everything up

https://twitter.com/JoeMillerJr/status/1101424706769571842

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

namesake posted:

I think the 'well we tried literally everything and Brexit still happened' is a fairly sound strategy but this somehow means letting it through while also standing in the way, there's no sound reasoning and just seems more like a panic move.

I don't understand you at all. Labour could not claim they had tried everything if they didn't take an opportunity to stop May's deal, which this is. It could take no deal Brexit off the table and gives us a chance to not Brexit at all. For an opposition party that's a massive achievement.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

genuinely impressed at how badly he fucks everything up

https://twitter.com/JoeMillerJr/status/1101424706769571842

I thought seaborne didn't actually get any money in the end?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I don't understand you at all. Labour could not claim they had tried everything if they didn't take an opportunity to stop May's deal, which this is. It could take no deal Brexit off the table and gives us a chance to not Brexit at all. For an opposition party that's a massive achievement.

How will this stop May's deal?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

Like someone else said, Labour could spin a referendum on May's deal as both backing a #PeoplesVote and not standing in the way of Brexit. Whereas trying to vote it down without any credible alternative just looks like pushing us towards no-deal.

Plus May's deal is widely hated and Farage is already calling for people to boycott another referendum, so there's a decent chance remain would win if those were the only two options. And then the Tories would be truly hosed.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
They're so transparently stealing public funds even a latin american politician would be like "whoa buddy, you're being a bit obvious there"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I thought seaborne didn't actually get any money in the end?

Well that makes it more than 1/3 of teh total cost lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

They're so transparently stealing public funds even a latin american politician would be like "whoa buddy, you're being a bit obvious there"
And would also have a far superior mustache to anything the Tories could come up with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Farage is already calling for people to boycott another referendum

This is the most bizzare thing, do people not get that, like, if you don't vote, the other guys win?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

This is the most bizzare thing, do people not get that, like, if you don't vote, the other guys win?

Farage gets to keep his job as an MEP and its a way back into politics for him

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ratjaculation posted:

My dad remains extremely salty that people in Bangor spoke Welsh around him the one time we were there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Farage gets to keep his job as an MEP and its a way back into politics for him

I mean I get why farage might do it but I've heard the same thing from a few places, some people seem to actually think that if you don't vote they just call the whole thing off?

Renaissance Robot posted:

My dad remains extremely salty that people in Bangor spoke Welsh around him the one time we were there.

How on earth does the brain gymnastics on that work? You're in Wales, it's a much more British language than any of that german bollocks the rest of us speak?

Welsh should give you a massive white nationalist boner or something.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I get why farage might do it but I've heard the same thing from a few places, some people seem to actually think that if you don't vote they just call the whole thing off?

"They're just gonna keep calling votes till we vote the 'right' way anyway"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I often used to wonder when I was younger what would happen if people just didn't turn up to vote. There's no de minimis on legitimacy for UK elections though, unlike say the Scottish Home Rule referendum, so you'd just be playing prisoners' dilemma with fash and single issue parties.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Tilting at windmills will rally your base endlessly as long as the wind keeps blowing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

How on earth does the brain gymnastics on that work? You're in Wales, it's a much more British language than any of that german bollocks the rest of us speak?

Well they were speaking English but then they saw my Definitely Not Local dad coming and switched to Welsh

Which is very rude, apparently?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Whiteness is just honorary Englishness.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well they were speaking English but then they saw my Definitely Not Local dad coming and switched to Welsh

Remember when Corbyn did this with Spanish and Piers Morgan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Deliberately excluding a foreign visitor from conversation is a dick move tbh.

However, given white man's history of being a foreign visitor, being as hostile as possible is definitely the pro strat.