Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress yeah thank you.

i am legit studying visualisations as part of me masters

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Citing foreign laws. Very anti-British. This is all going on the list, you know. :tinfoil:

Also :lol:, I do love it when the law is used to redefine specific objects for tax purposes, against a "technically proper" scientific definition.
Yeah, when it comes to tax evasion it absolutely has to be based on the common end use of the product rather than the scientific definition, otherwise you'd get all kinds of "technically, the strawberry is not an actual berry, and therefore I will be paying no taxes" freeman bullshit.

What I don't like is when legislators think they're science experts. I mean it's pretty funny when you get stuff like the The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Amendment) Order 2010, but it isn't a productive use of anyone's time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Legislation seldom is.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ahh yes, i see cat.shape contains three key pieces of information about the image: the height, the width, and a numeric representation of the cat mouth

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, when it comes to tax evasion it absolutely has to be based on the common end use of the product rather than the scientific definition, otherwise you'd get all kinds of "technically, the strawberry is not an actual berry, and therefore I will be paying no taxes" freeman bullshit.

What I don't like is when legislators think they're science experts. I mean it's pretty funny when you get stuff like the The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (Amendment) Order 2010, but it isn't a productive use of anyone's time.

Oh yeah, I mean it's valid from that end - although it can still be amusing.

And yeah, less so for poo poo like the Psychoactive Act 2016, or that Pi bill in Indiana that implied Pi having a value of 3.2 (that last one never made it to any actual enacted legal documents IIRC and was literally laughed out of the room).

[e]: Seriously? I knew they made it an exact number, but that's even worse than I remembered :lol:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 31, 2019

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh yeah, I mean it's valid from that end - although it can still be amusing.

And yeah, less so for poo poo like the Psychoactive Act 2016, or that Pi bill in Indiana that implied Pi having a value of 3.2 (that last one never made it to any actual enacted legal documents IIRC and was literally laughed out of the room).

The Indiana one is worse than that. They ruled pi should be rounded to 4. That would mean all clocks would gain 15 minutes an hour.

This was in 1897 though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As an absurd/unlikely case if everyone in the country stopped eating bananas and started using them as sex toys instead, it'd be valid to put VAT on bananas. Even if the physical article hasn't changed, taxes have to describe the expected category of social utility.

And lol, yeah, the 2016 act was so bad it was barely even science. Ban everything except alcohol, tobacco or nicotine-based products, caffeine, food and drink, medicinal products and any drug that is already regulated, pull some bad definitions of Central Nervous System from a GCSE biology book, apply stamp.

Oh poo poo spice usage has increased because we did nothing about the underlying social causes lol v:shobon:v

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Savings Clown posted:

This is 4000km and does not exist.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/31/no-10-hopes-to-delay-tory-leadership-contest-until-october

Can you imagine May hanging around like an unflushable turd until October?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

As an absurd/unlikely case if everyone in the country stopped eating bananas and started using them as sex toys instead

I see potential in this idea. Think Romero's Dawn of the Dead meets Benny Hill :sotw:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1112410481443115008

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

:vomarine:

Which one of the Scandi countries was this? Which one did it?

Top Lop?

:black101:

Looks like Danish.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

:vomarine:

Which one of the Scandi countries was this? Which one did it?
:denmark:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given the provable fact that shittiness of politics is inversely proportional to population density, so the actual solution is the Reverse Pol Pot. If you live anywhere with a population under 500k, unless you're part of the ~1% of the population actually engaged in agricultural work, you should be forcibly relocated to a real city.
I'm going to technocratically critique this otherwise unimpeachable idea: The people engaged in agricultural (or other decentralized) work still need (and deserve) some sort of support structure, which will not be there if you simply nix everywhere with a population under 500K. Plus you're really setting yourself of for failure by putting everyone in a few baskets, in the UK a mere 8. However, if instead you simple relocate everyone to the largest 114 cities/towns of the UK you'd still have at least 500k in each, while avoiding the most obvious problems of extreme centralization. Pity that Scunthorpe precisely doesn't make the cut though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What even was the context. Please tell me that it was some satirical magazine.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1112421923718397953

https://twitter.com/JDjanogly/status/1112417712465170433

definitely a strong and stable government we got here

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guavanaut posted:

What even was the context. Please tell me that it was some satirical magazine.

i see that you're unfamiliar with how extraordinarily horrible denmark is

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

she's already been hanging around like an unflushable turd since june 2017 so why not a few more months

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't know why, but all the scandis hating Denmark is always funny to me.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The United Kingdom leaves the EU with no deal at 1:00 AM, Central European time, April 12th
In a panic, they try to extend the deadline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_l0vBISOE

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Miftan posted:

I don't know why, but all the scandis hating Denmark is always funny to me.

It's because they've gone full fash, op

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

I'm just giving them a lifeline to reclaim some minor amount of grace over the Nogger-eating Swedes. Misplaced hope, I assume.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TheRat posted:

It's because they've gone full fash, op

since the early 2000s??

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OrthoTrot posted:

This was in 1897 though.

they might have disagreed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

of which year?

anyway, yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given the provable fact that shittiness of politics is inversely proportional to population density, so the actual solution is the Reverse Pol Pot. If you live anywhere with a population under 500k, unless you're part of the ~1% of the population actually engaged in agricultural work, you should be forcibly relocated to a real city.

No.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That Italian Guy posted:

The previous map is even worse, cause it only displays the extremes without the mid values; and doesn't show how large each area is. Both maps are bad cause there is no normalization for n. of people living in an area.

You know your map is utterly worthless, even more so than the previous map because at least the previous map is decently readable... and yet you keep posting about it. Why?

With the effort you put into posting bad you probably could have dig up or made a visualization following better rules but you... didn't.

The original shows the point that rural England and Wales are real badly off compared to London, even compared to wealth concentrations like it in mainland Europe. That's a halfway decent point to make.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Miftan posted:

since the early 2000s??

The Danish People's Party kept the conservative government in power between 2001 and 2011. It also showed how accomodating the fash shits up the politics of your country and does not in fact rehabilitate the fash. Shocker.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Munin posted:

The Danish People's Party kept the conservative government in power between 2001 and 2011. It also showed how accomodating the fash shits up the politics of your country and does not in fact rehabilitate the fash. Shocker.
Liberal government :colbert: Anyway, recent polls show the DPP finally losing ground, though part of that is the fascism becoming popular enough that you can make a "fascism for rich people" party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm going to technocratically critique this otherwise unimpeachable idea: The people engaged in agricultural (or other decentralized) work still need (and deserve) some sort of support structure, which will not be there if you simply nix everywhere with a population under 500K. Plus you're really setting yourself of for failure by putting everyone in a few baskets, in the UK a mere 8. However, if instead you simple relocate everyone to the largest 114 cities/towns of the UK you'd still have at least 500k in each, while avoiding the most obvious problems of extreme centralization. Pity that Scunthorpe precisely doesn't make the cut though.
Also it'd mean emptying the entirety of Northern Ireland into Liverpool, which presumably would upset at least someone.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Liberal government :colbert: Anyway, recent polls show the DPP finally losing ground, though part of that is the fascism becoming popular enough that you can make a "fascism for rich people" party.

also when every party is massively racist, you have to be pretty extreme to corner the market on the racist vote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

also when every party is massively racist, you have to be pretty extreme to corner the market on the racist vote
[Gerard Batten note taking intensifies]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Also it'd mean emptying the entirety of Northern Ireland into Liverpool, which presumably would upset at least someone.
Another advantage of having more cities is that you can more easily create a decentralized political laboratory for creating a New Soviet Man.

V. Illych L. posted:

They're not all massively racist. There's like one officially anti-racist party and like three parties that are only accidentally/incidentally racist.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

Can you imagine May hanging around like an unflushable turd until October?

Yes I can, but it's a bit dangerous since I'm choking with laughter while also the thought of the electoral devastation the Conservatives would suffer is giving me a massive erection

...wait, what am I saying, this is hell dimension. So either there would be no election, or the tories would somehow be the biggest party again

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Another advantage of having more cities is that you can more easily create a decentralized political laboratory for creating a New Soviet Man.

They're not all massively racist. There's like one officially anti-racist party and like three parties that are only accidentally/incidentally racist.

ok let me rephrase: when you have a massively racist party of every flavour, just being "racist" doesn't cut it anymore

in denmark, you have the reactionary racists, the liberal racists, the leftish racists and the libertarian racists. in such a rich flora of racism, the DPP only have their OG racist credentials and a fascist tendency to help them stand out, the poor dears

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

denmark is a cornucopia of racism

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, Denmark do poo poo to refugees that would make Farage blush

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

ok let me rephrase: when you have a massively racist party of every flavour, just being "racist" doesn't cut it anymore

in denmark, you have the reactionary racists, the liberal racists, the leftish racists and the libertarian racists. in such a rich flora of racism, the DPP only have their OG racist credentials and a fascist tendency to help them stand out, the poor dears
True. Way things are going racism will not be a (party) political issue at all in a few years, as every party just settles into "torture immigrants until they go home" as a baseline and have to compete on other issues.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1112434746993324032
Pretty good explainer from Peston about how things are likely to pan out. Basically:

1. Customs Union/Single Market 2.0 passes tomorrow.

2. May puts her deal back on Tuesday, with the addition of the Nandy/Snell amendment.

3. Majority of ERG caves and backs her deal along with an unknown number of Labour MPs.

It could be very tight. If her deal goes down again she's probably screwed and we'll end up with soft Brexit or second referendum. If it passes with Labour votes then expect Labour to literally never hear the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

True. Way things are going racism will not be a (party) political issue at all in a few years, as every party just settles into "torture immigrants until they go home" as a baseline and have to compete on other issues.

i expect enhedslisten will still be around to hoover up all the votes of people who don't think racism is the bee's knees, and to consign those votes to the fringes where they may be safely ignored