Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I still think a second referendum is a stupid idea but at this point it's looking like the least stupid stupid idea out of a big pile of stupid ideas.

less than a month and parliament is still showing no sign of being willing or able to actually get a handle on this poo poo. Labour has to try the stupid idiot vote at this point because literally nothing else is working.

If they can get May to throw the government into supporting a referendum amendment in exchange for letting her deal pass, that's better in both ways than just no dealing us out of the EU which looks to be the likely alternative.

No Deal is even worse than people thought. There's eight vital IT systems required to manage imports and exports; six of them are not working, and it is not possible to get them working in four weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

gently caress, they're on to us, Ms A! You grab the drugs, I'll grab the money and let's meet up in the Bahamas!

At last, a use for Trident. We'll nuke you so hard you become transuranic!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Yeah I know gently caress all about motorcycle racing, four wheels good, two wheels bad

You know gently caress all about four wheel racing either if you think women have ever succeeded at the highest level.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I'll be honest lads, if May gave me £110,000,000, I would vote for her next time round.

gently caress off, you DUP bastard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

too late for that sadly, because:

he's stopped doing that :(

At least he's being cremated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

With the bonus comedy that the "bitch" being "smacked up" in the video was Teresa May.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I've long held the opinion that the Prodigy would end because one day Keith would wake up and realise he was 50. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out that he just couldn't face getting old.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

put me in charge of it, i'll make all the right decisions and define all the antisemitisms, not even joking

seriously why don't they just get a panel of cool jews together to make the decisions.

Because the Jews are all voting Conservative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CoolCab posted:

coohoolie we been at this for awhile. I was raised Baha’i - nationalism is quite literally expressed as a vile sin and moral failing, and nothing I’ve seen since has ever challenged that assessment. I call it mind poison for a reason- I just hate it so much.

I could get to like the Baha'i.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

yeah just annoy some idiots and you'll get one

So that's what they mean by "can hardly stand his own company".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aramoro posted:

That's the beauty of the Glasgow solution to knife crime, tough sentences are still part of it. Everyone is happy. Well except those looking to profit off the panic.

I thought the Glasgow solution to knife crime was to use your head instead.

Regarding the universal state of police officers being born outside wedlock: a properly funded and supported police force has less incentive to corruption.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Andrast posted:

What is the point of abstaining on a bill?

Two reasons. For an individual, it's that you don't agree with the party line, but you're not going to vote with the other side. When a party whips for abstention, it usually means that they know the bill is going to pass regardless but they want to make sure none of their MPs support it. I don't recall anyone ever being censured for breaking a whip to abstain by voting against the motion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jabby posted:

Probably because they started off as very simple 'is this fact correct' articles, but then morphed into opinion pieces complete with political bias under the heading of 'FACT-CHECK'.

When the country is run by the Lying Party of Lying Liars and the president lies on average ten times a day, it's a bit hard not to have a bit of bias in a fact check.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Is she suggesting that we only give up EU membership for 40 days?

Hey, she's the vicar's daughter, she should know. Unless she was too busy running through a wheat field that day.

It is, however, an interesting statement to make because she's saying it's a choice between her deal and remaining in the EU.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

e; ^^^ You own the PM? :thunk:

Why shouldn't he? Everyone else does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a weird typo for "bin".

Don't be dense, the bin doesn't go in the fridge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

I'm not taking culinary advice from a middle aged brit, mate.

Says the man who has never had a bacon sandwich.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Absolutely. The only thing I definitely remember from PSE was a tape that taught us that there was exactly one way to masturbate.

You only need to use two fingers?

We got absolutely zero sex ed classes at my school. Luckily I can do my own research.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

As opposed to the tories whose politics are hate migrants, love minors.

They don't love minors or miners, they just gently caress them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Namtab posted:

In addition the success of TIG will also be somewhat dependent on whether they're going to position to split the Labour vote or the conservative vote as this will define the majority of the media's stance towards them when they stop being an entertaining side show

They're aiming to split the Labour vote. This should be obvious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Assuming it's true that Kuenssberg (or someone above her) is deliberately misinterpreting 'balanced coverage' as 'get a tory on, and get a far right mouthpiece on, and exclude labour,' then why aren't the press office pursuing it?

The matter has been referred to Ofcom, who are investigating the BBC right now for bias. I expect the Labour press office aren't making a big stink in public so that nobody can say they prejudiced the investigation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/jaykayell_/status/1104377253788553216

everyone was making fun of this for the "young" part but also what happened to hammersmith? is it a muslim no-go zone

Heck no, Joe Strummer sang about a white man in Hammersmith Palais because there aren't any. Big ethnic population in that neck of the woods.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Or anything 10 years old with Tory MPs on it.

Watching anything ten years old with a Tory MP in it is illegal and will get you banned from these forums.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

imo the existence of a middle class really is a difficulty for the more dogmatically marxist

fortunately it looks like it was all a historical aberration and is going to leave us in peace soon

Yes, fortunately soon all power and wealth will once again be concentrated in the hands of the elite while everyone else struggles in misery. Fortunately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

communism bitch posted:

Is it wrong of me to be hoping for full on no deal turbofucking at this point? I don't think it would be good for me. Im just ready for the end.

Given that it will kill posters in this thread, yes, it is wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I would be entirely ready to believe that the second edition is half the thickness because this time they remembered to switch the printer to double sided mode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

In theory the second vote failing should mean the third vote succeeds because they JUST VOTED THAT IT FAILING WAS NOT AN OPTION.

But, you know, worst timeline.

If a binding vote to block a No Deal Brexit passes then that would overrule the EU Withdrawal Act. The third vote will be on whether we ask for an extension or revoke Article 50.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

E: *zot*, could be taken the wrong way.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 12, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, which fucker is wandering around the Commons lobby wearing a red nose?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, we already had one vote on no deal and it was rejected by something silly like 500 to 33. This one will probably work out similarly. It's just a purity test for the ERG, not something we seriously want to worry about.

The amendment to the EU Withdrawal Act that would have prevented us leaving without a deal failed thanks to the votes of Hoey, Field, Springer and Mann.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm wondering if May's plan isn't to get Labour to demand the motion to rescind A50, then call a General Election and hope enough rabid frothers swing to the Tories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JFairfax posted:

it's not that hard to find out what you're spending your money on lol

No.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

love that this isn't considered treasonous

It is considered treasonous. The Tories just don't want to prosecute, because if they do they will implicate a third of their own MPs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spangly A posted:

imagine if we had some kind of mechanism to "pair" MPs in case of unavoidable and urgent commitments

Yes, then pregnant Labour MPs wouldn't have to delay their C-section for crucial votes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not quite certain of all constitutional powers in our system.

Is it possible for Theresa May to declare a national emergency and force her deal unilaterally?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: She'd have to get consent of Parliament to declare a national emergency. Which they won't give.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

I've had people say similar things in the past and I've had to restrain myself from violence for disparaging literally the only good thing that Coventry has ever produced.

That's madness.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Just want to go back and highlight this brighter news because if you read the fine print it specifically says profits are down despite sales going up. How do you square that circle? Surrounding paragraphs note that he's changed his supply chains to avoid EU products, meaning the profit fall is due to his brexiteering views tanking the business.

Also labour costs are cited. So he's doubly tanking his own business by having to pay British staff instead of getting in a bunch of Romanians.

On the other hand, the Wetherspoons oval office strikes me as the type to say it's an acceptable loss to have Real British Service again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

i’m not familiar with bingo, what number is this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1106812341440516097?s=20

Yes it's probably an outlier and all but wow that's a huge swing.

Looking forward to Diane Abbott throwing this in Fiona Bruce's face.

Fiona Bruce will just smirk and make a remark about how Abbott isn't good with numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

In this day and age, do people actually still think that any big company can be one country's? We're inching closer and closer to Shadowrun-style megacorp extraterritoriality where companies have more sovereignity than nations and these fucks say things like "buy british!" with regard to motherfucking cars

These people live and breathe on taking Britain backwards to a past that never existed. Why do you think they care about the future?