Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Asiina posted:

Choani Good Actually.

Turns out the real bad guy....is the guy with the bombs who likes to blow up civilians.

Oh man, what a shock!!

Your understanding of "Good" has always been a bit wobbly, present company included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

We'll discuss it tomorrow though! I'll show you the finer points of crafting improvised explosives. It's a delicate art, you know. The secret ingredient is love.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Rhjamiz posted:

Your understanding of "Good" has always been a bit wobbly, present company included.

While I do have some continuing reservations about Chell’s ethical education, I actually agree with her here!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am not a fan of bombs, I wonder why?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Meinberg posted:

While I do have some continuing reservations about Chell’s ethical education, I actually agree with her here!

Asiina posted:

Choani Good Actually.

......yeah I’m definitely skeptical of the claims that Gehn is totally not gonna do anything promise from people who think Choani is good

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is understandable and fair.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Actually, think of a bomb like a play, except the play happens really really fast.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Vermilion Jarlis

This one yearns for an end to all the strife, when things can finally start to feel normal again.

Those who come to the Fountain with the intention to fight, destroy, or take sole possession of the Lyceum Book will be met with swift and just punishment.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, after finally hearing her reasons for why she did everything she did....they aren't the worst.

And again, if Gehn tries to do anything he'll literally die and take some of his supporters with him, so you have nothing to lose there.

It's not about promises to any of us, he's bound by magick now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can we jump ahead to the part where we realize Rabo has motivations and doesn’t just behave randomly and then do the whole “well, he did bad things, but was motivated by personal pain and problems so he’s good actually”

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I have also seen the impact of Choani’s actions in every Age that she has conquered and to be perfectly honest, it has been one of the most bloodless conquests I have ever heard of, and one which has had the smallest impact on the conquered. You may say that this is nothing, that the fact of the conquest is sin enough.

I just don’t can’t agree with that anymore.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Can we jump ahead to the part where we realize Rabo has motivations and doesn’t just behave randomly and then do the whole “well, he did bad things, but was motivated by personal pain and problems so he’s good actually”

I don’t think that there is anyway to justify the murder of Komp, to be honest.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, you’d think there wouldn’t be any way to justify the destruction of ages, the conquering of people etc but here we are

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'll pass on any sort of "enlightened rule" by a supposedly "benevolent" dictatorship, thanks anyway.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Meinberg posted:

[A]nd one which has had the smallest impact on the conquered.

gently caress you. How dare you try to sell me on this crap.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

Zanz has literally said he's just here to be against the side that wants cooperation, presumably because he thinks it's funny, you don't need to try to argue with him, it's not in good faith.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean, you’d think there wouldn’t be any way to justify the destruction of ages, the conquering of people etc but here we are

Obviously the problem here is scale. If I'd gone around blowing up entire ages, it would be fine! I'm just too small-time, apparently. Go big or go home, I guess!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'd never heard of an Inverse Morality-of-Scale before but it sure is weird to see.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

gently caress you. How dare you try to sell me on this crap.

Please don't misunderstand. We are also going to try to stop Choani, because whatever her reasons, her method of obtaining them is wrong and puts many others along with the fate of who knows how many Ages at risk.

That said, most of us here do not want to kill her, only to stop her.

Beyond that, you are free to come here or not and take any actions you see fit, as long as you don't attempt to hurt others or damage the Lyceum.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Zanz has literally said he's just here to be against the side that wants cooperation, presumably because he thinks it's funny, you don't need to try to argue with him, it's not in good faith.

Nah that is not what I said and not a good faith interpretation of what I said at all

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Nah that is not what I said and not a good faith interpretation of what I said at all

You came because you heard we were doing "dumb stuff" like cooperating and wanted to try to tip the scales against it.

Your words.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was saying that I wanted to back up people who had resistance to the status quo. I’m here to enable conflict to an extent because otherwise conflict goes unvoiced and unresolved.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

You came because you heard we were doing "dumb stuff" like cooperating and wanted to try to tip the scales against it.

Your words.

Yes

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

Please don't misunderstand. We are also going to try to stop Choani, because whatever her reasons, her method of obtaining them is wrong and puts many others along with the fate of who knows how many Ages at risk.

That said, most of us here do not want to kill her, only to stop her.

Beyond that, you are free to come here or not and take any actions you see fit, as long as you don't attempt to hurt others or damage the Lyceum.

I understand clear enough that us Varbani are nothing more than worthless people who’s conquest was for our own good, apparently, and how dare us disagree.

Sickening.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s okay, I’m not trying to soapbox and make you guys understand my brain. But my role has been filled I think.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

I understand clear enough that us Varbani are nothing more than worthless people who’s conquest was for our own good, apparently, and how dare us disagree.

Sickening.

I don't believe that's true and I'm sorry if I or others have given that impression.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Argument silly

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So what excuse did Choani give for her campaign? Going home to Hara?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Sickening.

This is unironically what a lot of people think about the Shirnao so maybe I’m just peeved. Four people came to help Whiterock after it was attacked, while dozens come to the support of Riven when it was found.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
You know who else came to help Whiterock? Choaneen. So nuts to anyone who says she one hundred per-cent sucks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

So what excuse did Choani give for her campaign? Going home to Hara?

Choani is extremely dumb. Just like Charlie and, most of us

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Choani is extremely dumb. Just like Charlie and, most of us

Not even a little bit surprised.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I’m tired of destruction, I’m tired of death. I’m tired. Hopefully, after tomorrow we can start building.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah well.

The point is to wrap this all up and make a better future for everyone, so that people don't have to deal with the end results of someone without knowledge but enough power to kill massive amounts of people.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

I don't believe that's true and I'm sorry if I or others have given that impression.

Len believes it to be true. “It doesn’t matter that you and your friends were kidnapped, your home destroyed, and people killed, she had good reasons to do that and didn’t kill that many people, it barely impacted those who were conquered.”

It’s abhorrent.

That said, Len brings something else to my attention

Meinberg posted:

Rabo, this true?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

This is unironically what a lot of people think about the Shirnao so maybe I’m just peeved. Four people came to help Whiterock after it was attacked, while dozens come to the support of Riven when it was found.

This is true though, it's difficult to claim we were all okay with what was happening on Riven when many people spent weeks risking their lives to save it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I think that everyone does good things sometimes and bad things sometimes :ohdearsass:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I think that everyone does good things sometimes and bad things sometimes :ohdearsass:

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

chaoslord posted:

Rabo, this true?

Yep. Komp came down to where he shouldn't have been with the intent to cause trouble and found me instead. At that point it was a duel to the death, and I won. He welcomed the end.