Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Context usually helps, but in this case I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bj has signed, apparently. Would be our best signing in awhile, when confirmed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Better than Braith?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

I really don't see that ending well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I hope for your sake he has the right attitude

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

bowmore posted:

I hope for your sake he has the right attitude

LOL

He will be 20 kilos overweight by June, and in the UK next year.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I will miss the idiot.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

LOL

He will be 20 kilos overweight by June, and in the UK next year.

As I said, "our best signing in awhile"

It's like you people can't see when I'm making GBS threads on all of our recent purchases

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

As I said, "our best signing in awhile"

It's like you people can't see when I'm making GBS threads on all of our recent purchases

Matterson would have been better, if he decided not to be a massive pillock. After that, daylight.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently Joe O got nailed by the cops. Sleeping in his car after getting drunk at a party.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I know 99% of the thread doesn't follow the UK leagues but here's the new Super League promo, it's nice

https://twitter.com/SuperLeague/status/1221123139255570432

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

ili posted:

Apparently Joe O got nailed by the cops. Sleeping in his car after getting drunk at a party.

Isn't that pretty responsible by league standards?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, whats the actual crime there? Public intoxication? Sleeping it off is much better than driving, Joe O is a hero to children everywhere.

And raiders signing Curtis Scott has been arrested for resisting arrest (guess if he was sober, go on, guess). Fucks sake, he better not get rubbed out for too long the plank.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It’s technically illegal but acab

if he didn’t drive he was being responsible, no scandal, move on

ili
Jul 26, 2003

turntabler posted:

Isn't that pretty responsible by league standards?

It's pretty responsible by any standard. But it's illegal for whatever reason.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think the general idea of the law making it illegal to be in the driver's seat and drunk (even if the car is off) is to remove the defence that someone might spot the cops following them, pull over and turn the car off, and then claim they weren't driving anywhere.

I have no evidence for this, just deductive reasoning and vague memory of hearing it sometime.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Are the Raiders actually cursed

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/greenberg-to-make-call-on-scott-s-immediate-future-following-arrest-20200127-p53v5i.html

quote:

Police will allege Scott threw a mobile phone at a passing car, fell asleep and then as he was being woken up by officers tried hitting one of them in the face.

This is getting close to Julian O'Neill territory.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, whats the actual crime there? Public intoxication? Sleeping it off is much better than driving, Joe O is a hero to children everywhere.

Drink driving

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Curtis Scott has a shitload of talent but he already washed out of the Storm because of the booze, he's on his way out of the NRL in the very near future. Regarding Ofahengaue, I wouldn't trust any narrative the Broncos put out about a player in strife chances are it's straight up drink driving.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You often grab people who drink drive home and pass out behind the wheel and can nab them with "intoxication while charge of a motor vehicle".

The simplest way to avoid this is sleep on back seat and not the front seat with keys in ignition.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

If you can afford to buy drinks in town, you can afford a taxi/Uber ride home. But of course we're talking about league players who are some of the dumbest cunts on the planet.

I've heard that NFL teams offer a service to players where they give them a number which will give them a ride home no questions asked. It makes sense from a PR perspective.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The RFL said they won't allow Ben Barba back into the competition. Will they allow Israel Folau?

https://twitter.com/M_Shaw1/status/1221893879827501057

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Asked and answered

https://twitter.com/TheGameCaller/status/1222140300254236674

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1222139104462196743

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Wigan's response is perfect.

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/status/1222139681116172289

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

These guys rule. gently caress Folau. I hope every other club follows Wigan's lead.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, if Folau has to be tolerated at least everyone can give him poo poo about it

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jono C posted:

These guys rule. gently caress Folau. I hope every other club follows Wigan's lead.

i read that Wakey are going to file an official grievance about it, as well as likely do something big as they're the first team to host Catalans this year.

apparently according to Dave Woods (BBC RL commentator) as the ARLC didn't officially ban him, instead just saying he would "not be welcome in the NRL", the RFL cannot block the signing.

this isn't the first lovely signing Cats have done (Todd Carney was welcomed there with open arms), and they've already lost a lot of friends in the English game for closing their academy, turning their back on developing French talent, and trying to tap up poorer clubs like Salford.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

i read that Wakey are going to file an official grievance about it, as well as likely do something big as they're the first team to host Catalans this year.

apparently according to Dave Woods (BBC RL commentator) as the ARLC didn't officially ban him, instead just saying he would "not be welcome in the NRL", the RFL cannot block the signing.

this isn't the first lovely signing Cats have done (Todd Carney was welcomed there with open arms), and they've already lost a lot of friends in the English game for closing their academy, turning their back on developing French talent, and trying to tap up poorer clubs like Salford.

The NRL has the ability to refuse to register a contract, and told the clubs they would use this if any club were to attempt to sign Folau. I'm surprised that the RFL/SL doesn't have this ability.

Catalans seem to be a halfway house for misfit league players. I recall Greg Bird landing there soon after he glassed his missus.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Folau is saying he's gunna keep his opinions to himself from now on, and Catalans are saying it's in his contract that one peep about The Gays and he's gone, plus the club will cop a yooj fine. The only thing left now is to see how it goes in the long run.

Will Izzy bomb out in the first month? Or put in an absolute monster of a season, leading Les Cats into a grand final then getting cocky and instagramming about the sins of sodomy on grand final eve then getting banned before the Dragons lose 50-2?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

He's still a great football player. But he's also a dumb oval office, even by the low standards we apply to league players. He's going to be trolled incessantly at every away game, and it's just a matter of time before he snaps and goes all Westboro Baptist on the world one more time.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Troy Queef posted:

they are running the Roosters play book.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jono C posted:

The NRL has the ability to refuse to register a contract, and told the clubs they would use this if any club were to attempt to sign Folau. I'm surprised that the RFL/SL doesn't have this ability.

Catalans seem to be a halfway house for misfit league players. I recall Greg Bird landing there soon after he glassed his missus.

the Super League chief said something to the effect of "we would get sued/taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if we blocked the signing, and at the moment we're kinda skint and Folau can round up money right quick so /shrug"

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The whole Folau thing is pretty bemusing to me, how are people still surprised by the bigoted poo poo that religious people believe? It's not new information. Sure he could and should be sacked if he's breached a contract but the moral outrage seems pretty artificial considering all he really did was quote/paraphrase the bible.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Smorgasbord posted:

The whole Folau thing is pretty bemusing to me, how are people still surprised by the bigoted poo poo that religious people believe? It's not new information. Sure he could and should be sacked if he's breached a contract but the moral outrage seems pretty artificial considering all he really did was quote/paraphrase the bible.

It's almost like it's 2019 and being being a bigoted fuckwit and trying to pass it off as your religion(especially when cherry-picking considering the dumb gently caress has tattoos and Leviticus has a lot to say on that) doesn't fly with most people anymore.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

It's almost like it's 2019 and being being a bigoted fuckwit and trying to pass it off as your religion(especially when cherry-picking considering the dumb gently caress has tattoos and Leviticus has a lot to say on that) doesn't fly with most people anymore.

Religious person in bigoted and hypocritical shocker! :monocle:

He's not an outlier, what he said is what their holy book says this shouldn't be surprising in any way.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 29, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Religious person in bigoted and hypocritical shocker! He's not an outlier, what he said is what their holy book says this shouldn't be surprising in any way.

Suprisingly businesses tend not to like associating openly with massively offensive people, and strangely a bunch of the generally harshly mistreated people in society have reactions when open bigots use their massive platforms to poo poo on them. Considering the ridiculously high rates of suicide etc amongst these communities, I'm pretty happy with people openly espousing hatred of them to gently caress off.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Considering the ridiculously high rates of suicide etc amongst these communities, I'm pretty happy with people openly espousing hatred of them to gently caress off.

Bingo. They aren't hurting anyone. If you don't like them, just leave them the gently caress alone and get on with your own life.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Don't get me wrong, as an atheist I couldn't be happier about the mainstream public finally pushing back against bigotry hiding behind a veil of faith, it's just very bizarre to me that it takes a rugby player setting out what their holy books say for the realisation to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Suprisingly businesses tend not to like associating openly with massively offensive people, and strangely a bunch of the generally harshly mistreated people in society have reactions when open bigots use their massive platforms to poo poo on them. Considering the ridiculously high rates of suicide etc amongst these communities, I'm pretty happy with people openly espousing hatred of them to gently caress off.

I find myself hilariously working for a fortune 500 company, and when raised at a recent meeting it was unanimous that having any association with Izzy would be detrimental to the brand and a huge risk for seemingly little reward. And given all large companies hate risk it would never happen anywhere unless you were in that religious space and fairly small or niche.

Or as a direct quote "gently caress that for an idea".