Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
whole thread full of cops smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

MourningView posted:

whole thread full of cops smh

gently caress the NCAA and gently caress the police. I mean gently caress Kansas too, but this is weak. Paying players is good

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The funniest part is David Beatty is implicated in this too, for having extra coaches or something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This thing is hilarious because KU didn't pay Billy some agent paid his mom and then he immediately wrecked the Dodge Charger he wasn't supposed to have and then never played a game for Kansas and then De Sousa's "guardian" got some cash on the side and De Sousa didn't even know about it and then De Sousa sat out and was then reinstated.

Like they don't even bring up Zion, who Adidas actually DID try to pay (and was outbid??) like they are busting Kansas for the wrong thing. I don't get it and if this is all they have there will absolutely be disappointment coming for Kansas haters.

edit:

Self's (lawyer's) response:

quote:

“By the NCAA’s own admission through its public statements early this summer, it’s no secret that there is tremendous pressure on the NCAA to respond to the federal court proceedings involving college basketball. Compelled to reassure member institutions and the general public that it can police its member institutions, the NCAA enforcement staff has responded in an unnecessarily aggressive manner in submitting today’s unsubstantiated Notice of Allegations, and I, as well as the University, will vigorously dispute what has been alleged.

In its haste and attempt to regain control, the enforcement staff has created a false narrative regarding me and our basketball program. The narrative is based on innuendo, half-truths, misimpressions and mischaracterizations. In reality, we all know there is only one version of the truth. The truth is based on verifiable facts, and I am confident the facts we will demonstrate in our case will expose the inaccuracies of the enforcement staff’s narrative.

I have always taken pride in my commitment to rules compliance and led programs that operate with integrity and within the rules, and I am proud of the success that we have achieved at each program along the way. Every student-athlete who has ever played for me and their families know we follow the rules.

These allegations are serious and damaging to the University and to myself, and I hate that KU has to go through this process. With our staff’s full cooperation, these allegations will be addressed within NCAA procedures and with urgency and resolve. I will strenuously defend myself and the program, but I will respect the process and will not speak to the details of the case.”

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 24, 2019

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
SOP should be to deflect and deny and the NCAA has proven they don't give a poo poo unless you're allowing your players/coaches to rape people and then they might ban you from a bowl for a season. Just don't cooperate, they'll slam you for it!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

The funniest part is David Beatty is implicated in this too, for having extra coaches or something.

What if KU had to forfeit their win over Texas :lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hed posted:

Not in my heart they won't

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Hed posted:

Then Texas has to rehire Charlie Strong, them's the rules.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1176290767545016321

Look at this history of lawlessness, death penalty is the only way to deal with it in my opinion.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It’s funny because the only case the NCAA can successfully make is for its own absolute loving uselessness.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is Kansas getting in trouble because they cooperated? Or, were tricked into cooperating?

Probably Magic posted:

they had sean miller on the drat phone for christs sake and nothing happened

It still ultimately take them down but ESPN hosed the story up so much that at least in the short term they gave Miller an alibi and deniability since the tape clearly didn't happen when they claimed it did.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1177252501135024134

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you wait until they’re distracted with kansas and then boom you hit em with the georgia tech right in the jaw

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how the hell can the NCAA even steal a percentage of a school's revenue stream, that's pretty funny to me. is that normal? that's, like, feudal

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/themattgalloway/status/1177365184568016896

Look, I agree that all of this is bullshit. I want players to be paid, I don't really give a poo poo about Adidas facilitating that.

But man Bill Self comes off to me as a very slimy person.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sharife Cooper commits to Auburn, long expected but nice to hear it for real.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/themattgalloway/status/1177365184568016896

Look, I agree that all of this is bullshit. I want players to be paid, I don't really give a poo poo about Adidas facilitating that.

But man Bill Self comes off to me as a very slimy person.

you will never see a coach play dumb harder, or a team paid more discreetly, and you will never see a death penalty more deftly ignored until it happens

god bless

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

you will never see a coach play dumb harder, or a team paid more discreetly, and you will never see a death penalty more deftly ignored until it happens

god bless

Coach K exists.

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002
Kansas had stripper poles and Snoop Dogg with a literal cash gun at their event last night.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And a bunch of red faced boomers are mad about it.

It's Snoop Dog, Grandpa.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Snoop Dogg is a grandpa who pals around with Martha Stewart.

I don't think any of that is a bad thing, it's just hilarious that it's still so easy for him to wind up the elderly.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hot take, Martha Stewart is a hardened criminal who makes Snoop look bad by association

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Off-season 2020: Death penalty was the case that they gave me

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Let me ride that bandwagon

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This whole Snoop thing is hilarious. Paywall for most of you I'm sure, but the important part.

quote:

Part of me still can’t believe it’s all true. You could not make this up.

Jeff Long, who really might be overmatched as Kansas’ athletic director, put out a statement that claimed confusion over what Snoop Dogg may’ve meant by “acrobatic dancers” performing at Late Night in the Phog, the basketball team’s annual tipoff and recruiting event. Long later updated the statement to remove the phrase, which just made the whole thing more ridiculous.

And, good grief, we’re in the fifth paragraph and just now mentioning that Snoop, who was paid by Adidas, the shoe company that’s been shown to have broken the NCAA’s dumb rules about paying players, shot fake money at KU basketball players.

Oh-Oh-Oh! And here we are in the sixth paragraph and we’re just now mentioning that all of this happened a few days after KU announced the Snoop Dogg show with a video of basketball coach Bill Self wearing a gold $ chain over an Adidas T-shirt — no KU logo, just Adidas — and a few hours after Self told the crowd “bad publicity is better than no publicity.”

Mellinger is a KU guy and relatively grounded, so he's not biased against them or pearl clutching, it's just that the whole is thing stupidly funny. I'd agree with him that it's cool Kansas is telling the NCAA to gently caress off while at the same time being incredibly goddamned stupid with how far they went about doing it.

e: I'll add this just in case, most of you already know it.

quote:

You would need a healthy imagination fueled by all the substances Snoop and his crew consumed on Friday to come up with a more farcical construct:

▪ a literal federal case made of protecting the antiquated, dishonest and hypocritical rules in place to keep self-serving and redundant administrators able to buy a boat.

▪ a basketball program re-upping with the company it somehow-with-a-straight-face claimed to be victimized by.

▪ twisted logic and exploitative NCAA rules that essentially forced Kansas to label a shoe rep as a booster in order to preserve the eligibility of an innocent athlete, and then an administrative process that is now using that label to hang a program whose primary offense has been doing the same stuff everyone else is doing except on FBI wiretaps and way sloppier and with a shoe rep who appears to be a dunce.

This is a shambles and top-to-bottom farce. How did we get here? People are in jail for helping the talent in a multi-billion dollar business get a small fraction of their worth. A coach with a $50 million contract is mocking the NCAA one day, saying bad publicity beats no publicity the next, and then claiming shock when the hired entertainment turned out to be one of the most famous gangster rappers of all time.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 9, 2019

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Their antics were certainly amateurish

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
That display plus allegations against Kansas likely is pushing 5 star Isaiah Todd to Michigan, so I don't hate that.

E: Provided Todd doesn't go play pro overseas for a year.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 9, 2019

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

If you'd rather deal with Michigan's geriatric fan base than hang out with Snoop Dogg, all power to you.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
National runner up Texas Tech managed to lose by 10 in an exhibition vs UTEP.

So that's good...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

stump collector posted:

Off-season 2020: Death penalty was the case that they gave me

NCAA Basketball Offseason 2019: KU is the label that paaaaays me!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Now I'm just imagining bill self doing the suge knight speech from notorious. Hopefully he never kills anyone by truck. I like your title.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Initial rankings are starting to come out, which really doesn't matter, although obviously the Kenpom ones are worth a look. Highlights:
  • Michigan State a clear #1 but still not jumping off the page as elite
  • Kentucky, Louisville, and Duke the next tier
  • Virginia starts at 5 but I'm pretty sure it'll take them a while to find their feet
  • the Big 12 will again be the deepest and most dangerous across-the-board conference and the ACC the most top heavy, but all of the power 5 conferences are pretty similar in profile (:lol: Pac 12)
  • there's no mid-majors expected to be overwhelmingly good, so we'll have to see who emerges

Season starts in two weeks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

this is vcu’s year

go rams binch

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to seeing what Barnes can do with highly ranked kids vs. what he did with Grant, Admiral etc.

yeah yeah kevin durant etc we know

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AP poll out

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm happy Purdue is ranked but pretty surprised. Would think losing Carsen would force us to earn our way back in rather than start there.

...I kinda like when we start unranked. Seasons without expectations are the best.

I am still heartbroken over the loss to Virginia

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Joey Freshwater posted:

Looking forward to seeing what Barnes can do with highly ranked kids vs. what he did with Grant, Admiral etc.

yeah yeah kevin durant etc we know

*checks notes*

Looks here like a Sweet 16.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Maryland overranked for the umpteenth year in a row.

Virginia at #11 feels like where we will end up but not where are as a team at the start

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This has the potential to be one of Izzo's greatest teams so I expect a sweet 16 exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I really hope Maryland isn’t that good, it will make life hell around here on game nights.