Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

It's decidedly springish in some sectors of this world, and you know what that means: Picking up basketballs. And going to an outside court with a lovely paint job and half a metal net (if you're lucky)to play some pickup basketball. Share your tips, tricks, anecdotes and pullup hesi jimbos.

I played today for the first time in, 2 years or so? The feet hurt, but the body is tired and happy. I moved so my court is like spitting distance, it's great. Very rusty first few games, 3 on 3 with randos. Every shot was short, every layup too soft. Weird, usually it works the other way round as I get tired. Once I found my rhythm though I scored probably 6-8 of our 11 the last few wins. Mostly little midrange finesse shots, a couple takes.

I always buy outdoor cheap balls and no one ever wants to use it >: (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I broke into pieces as usual and slowly coming back, mostly it's ok to go slow, but of course someone throws me a lob like I'm healthy, and of course I go for it without thinking, and of course I get undercut, and get to walk on a gimpy leg the rest of the day. I'm on the "always ice after" stage, but I don't mind much, I wish I could ice at work and stuff.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Went out by myself to get some shots up with my goggles on, to get used it. Mostly not notable, except at one point my ball went over the fence when I was trying to shoot over the backboard from behind. There was a boys baseball practice going on in the adjacent field, the only way to get to it would've been walking through these kids playing, or ask for help, and no way am I doing that. So I simply climbed the fence, dropped over, grabbed the ball, threw it back over, and hopped it again.

Not bad for 32!

As I was leaving two little dudes show up, ask me "do you know what soccer is?" then say "hold these!" and hand me a stack of well worn pokemon cards. I of course gave him the "what's the magic word?" routine. After I was satisfied with his request, I refereed a short "soccer" game, whatever that is, and left. As I was walking home I saw the parents that were watching, gave a grin and the nicest "hello" I could muster. I certainly wouldn't want my kid hanging out with some longhaired begoggled freak.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Advice for not putting the ball too hard off the glass on a full sprint? I keep missing fast break layups when I'm trying to keep a half step on someone and can't slow down

Sadly, get better hops doesn't appear to be in the cards

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 6, 2019

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Intruder posted:

Advice for not putting the ball too hard off the glass on a full sprint? I keep missing fast break layups when I'm trying to keep a half step on someone and can't slow down

Finish with a reverse layup, that should protect the ball enough from anyone coming from behind and you won't need to go full speed

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Just waited all day to go out and ball, soon as I do there's sprinkles >B( But not too bad, still got shots up for better part of an hour. And I'm pooped. Getting older sucks. Also my lifestyle is fairly sedentary, apart from my job.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yikes moment tonight, someone left chairs against the wall on the far end of the court and I almost fell into them on a fast break layup when I got fouled

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Comedy "throw it off the guy who's chasing you so you can reset using an under-the-basket out of bounds play" answer.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
group of 3 teens came and played 21 on the other, shittier side of the court. i did not allow them on to my side, the better side, because of my alpha nature they knew to stay away

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Got Bowened tonight :negative:

Worst ankle sprain I've had in many years

e: Man these threads used to be busy, what happened? First post in a month and a half

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 12, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

e: Man these threads used to be busy, what happened? First post in a month and a half

We're dunk training in the park

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Took spring league off, going back on the 23rd, will post weekly updates. Apparently my rec league team managed to recruit a euro league starting player, so that's gonna be a trip :buddy:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Intruder posted:

yeah man ive been not hooping or feeling very good, it feels i have this little tiny tear under my foot that just wont go away

but this is what i saw when i went last, i actually meant to post it all here:

fuckin kids

spent all my daylight cleaning that poo poo up :mad:

also there are no nets on the court i hoop at, i actually have had a net sitting on my coffee table for a few weeks, i need to get my mitts on a ladder...

Brolander fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 13, 2019

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
I'm 6'4 175 lbs. I was playing 21 at LA Fitness in a game that included a guy 6'6"+ and at least 275 lbs, former offensive line for some college until he blew out his knee or whatever. Just a real big boy. I was playing mostly for blocks against him because he was a bully and I could tell it rattled him when he was blocked. And getting blocks is about the only thing I'm good for, I will send some weak poo poo. Big boy drives baseline and I try to swat and end up basically slapping his elbow. I could tell my ring finger was dislocated right away, but I popped it back in and kept playing 2 or 3 more games. Made a splint when I got home and went to work the next day. Pain kept getting worse saw the doctor and I have a small fracture in my ring finger. No surgery needed luckily and after 6 weeks off I was playing again.

6 weeks and change, same LA Fitness, same big boy, another round of 21. Almost the exact same situation, him driving hard, me trying too hard to block. This time I do block the ball but somehow with other people defending and his big body, I jam my pinky pretty good on something. After the play I didn't want to admit to myself it happened again, convinced myself I just jammed the finger and keep playing. After the game, adrenaline wears off, and I can't put any pressure on the digit. Go straight to the ER this time and lo and behold, another fractured finger on the same hand. I want to be mad but it's more funny at this point. Just looking at the X rays it looks much worse than the first time. See the same orthopedist again and they recommend surgery this time. So, last week I had some pins put in my pinky.

I played until 6th grade and didn't play in jr high or high school. When I was 28 or 29 I just decided to play again. I was liquid rear end for a few years but was willing to look a fool so I could learn. I'm 33 now and was almost getting to OK level and having more fun playing hoops than probably anything else. Now... I'm disheartened to say although it was a freak occurrence and I probably pushed myself too fast, I don't know if I can put myself through this again for pickup basketball. Makes me sad. I guess I could always be another guy that doesn't try on defense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Intruder posted:

You're probably going to have to keep from going into an all out sprint. If you're having a hard time maintaining good control of the ball, you're probably also going fast enough to risk lovely injuries. I'd suggest practicing on changing speeds and limiting yourself to just beneath top speed, and also fakes and feints to misdirect your defender.

For something directly applicable to your scenario, there's a basic move Steph Curry employed a few times in the Finals that was pretty drat effective: on a fastbreak drive, he'd stop, wait for the chase-down defender to bump him from behind and stun themselves, and then he'd jump forward for a shot/layup as they're stuck behind him and out of position to defend.

Plus, in my experience, it's not uncommon for knucklehead defenders to try to match your sprint and go for an out of control block. This has led to some pretty ugly collisions and a few game ending sequences. Basic pick up games just aren't worth that trouble, IMO.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner.

iamsosmrt posted:

You're probably going to have to keep from going into an all out sprint. If you're having a hard time maintaining good control of the ball, you're probably also going fast enough to risk lovely injuries. I'd suggest practicing on changing speeds and limiting yourself to just beneath top speed, and also fakes and feints to misdirect your defender.

For something directly applicable to your scenario, there's a basic move Steph Curry employed a few times in the Finals that was pretty drat effective: on a fastbreak drive, he'd stop, wait for the chase-down defender to bump him from behind and stun themselves, and then he'd jump forward for a shot/layup as they're stuck behind him and out of position to defend.

Plus, in my experience, it's not uncommon for knucklehead defenders to try to match your sprint and go for an out of control block. This has led to some pretty ugly collisions and a few game ending sequences. Basic pick up games just aren't worth that trouble, IMO.

Yeah. Some of the best pickup advice I've ever gotten: if you rush things, you'll gently caress them up. Missing a layup because you're going too fast is the exact same result as getting blocked, so don't be afraid of defenders.

Really basic general advice for contested layups: keep your body between the defender and your shooting hand.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

It's been a month now. Pretty sure I'm going to have to see an orthopedist about this ankle

....playing on it probably hasn't been helpful

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did anyone ever buy those strength shoes to help with their vertical? I remember trying that and trying to run up stairs/calf lifts with a loaded bookbag.

Anyways, young kids and no time has made any basketball time gone. I miss it but I don't have the endurance for it anymore.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
At my y the gym area over looks the courts, and while I haven’t played in years I had a good laugh at instantly recognizing every type of player on the court.

What was surprising was that there was no one in the paint on either end. As near as I could tell it was all long 2s and drives, with a lot of screens. Is that just how everyone plays now? The teams playing had a pretty big mix of ages so it wasn’t just kids, even the older guy was just hanging out around the three point line. Or did I just catch an odd game?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

dadjokes posted:

At my y the gym area over looks the courts, and while I haven’t played in years I had a good laugh at instantly recognizing every type of player on the court.

What was surprising was that there was no one in the paint on either end. As near as I could tell it was all long 2s and drives, with a lot of screens. Is that just how everyone plays now? The teams playing had a pretty big mix of ages so it wasn’t just kids, even the older guy was just hanging out around the three point line. Or did I just catch an odd game?

Pretty sure that's just an odd game/group. I think the Curry effect on the average pickup game is overblown as I've seen tons of lazy or fearful players jacking from outside since the AI era. It's always been the "easiest" thing a normal guy can become decent enough at while not getting their poo poo pushed in all the time by a good defender. Plus it helps that there's no real accountability or people to cut you from the squad. Curry just gave it national recognition.

I'll admit I see more people trying the Harden-type of stepbacks, but most people are complete rear end at it anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sometimes it's hard to work in the post in pickup if the spacing around you sucks. I can't count the number of times I've gotten position in the low block and then had a teammate just come stand next to me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've been playing with a few younger guys from work and keeping up with my old man game. Acting like a high post center while being 5'9 works surprisingly well when everyone is youthful and happy to do cuts.

I'm 31 now and still haven't gotten any major injury I'm waiting on an ACL tear or something to just randomly happen

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
That’s what seemed so weird, there was all this space around the hoop but no team would go near it so the spacing was awful out on the wing. Like law of averages someone should have just stumbled into the block and thought this is nice. But like I said hadn’t played in years so wasn’t sure if this was an anomaly or not.

It did make me really want to play again but I think with my injuries to my knee and shoulders I could probably only play horse.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It also kind of sucks playing the post because the fouls are so ambiguous, for both offense and defense. I've had guys calling fouls on me for "pushing" them with my guard hand after they drive their shoulder into my chest. I feel like it's something that only works out reasonably well when everyone's familiar with each other and reserving calls for only the most egregious poo poo.

After I hit my 30s, I made it a conscious goal to cut down on stupid injury risks when possible. Unless I'm trying to make the cut for a pro team, it's probably not going to be worth my health to have an unrecorded highlight reel play against a random schmoe at the Y. Mostly this means not trying too many crazy jukes and whatever, or letting someone go if they already soundly beat me to a spot or position.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So our euroleague ringer likes to play hero ball at the end of close games and struggles with shooting, so that's fun :smith:

Is there like a post-moves primer for someone who was never any good at posting up? I'm one of the "big men" on the team and I panic whenever someone passes me the ball cuz it seems to get knocked out of my grasp whenever I have it and I also don't know what to do besides "get it out of my hands quickly."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Keep your rear end out, keep the ball away from your body a bit. If it's getting knocked away on the entry pass, give your defender a little bump right before the ball gets there. I like to use one arm to pin the defender's arm against my hip. If you get double teamed, yeah you need to kick it out to the open guy. Since I grew up in Houston I practiced the dream shake like religiously growing up, it works pretty well in pickup. Don't start dribbling until you're ready to make your move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwCvwCBU-A

Or find another video you like better, this was the first one I saw when I googled

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 2, 2019

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips! I definitely play "upright" too much, so now that I'm thinking about that, it'll be easier to correct. I grew up watching Ricky Rubio make passes so I'm pretty good at that so long as I'm not telegraphing too much, and if I'm getting doubled, it should be easier to find the guy. My team has some kind of weird aversion to practicing, like when I brought it up after a game, EVERYONE got real quiet, so that's weird.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

It also kind of sucks playing the post because the fouls are so ambiguous, for both offense and defense. I've had guys calling fouls on me for "pushing" them with my guard hand after they drive their shoulder into my chest. I feel like it's something that only works out reasonably well when everyone's familiar with each other and reserving calls for only the most egregious poo poo.

After I hit my 30s, I made it a conscious goal to cut down on stupid injury risks when possible. Unless I'm trying to make the cut for a pro team, it's probably not going to be worth my health to have an unrecorded highlight reel play against a random schmoe at the Y. Mostly this means not trying too many crazy jukes and whatever, or letting someone go if they already soundly beat me to a spot or position.

Yeah, my back can't take too many hits nowadays, and short people specially think they're allowed to hit you nonstop (somehow I seem to be ok if I'm guarded well, but then I have to play more outside, so same thing!). I was playing the other day and some older guy just wasn't passing me the ball at all, had to ask him about it, and he said I wasn't getting deep enough position, had to tell him about my injury and he understood.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm trying to work on my touch around the rim but I have to take a lot of weird floaters because i can't switch hands(I don't have a left hand). Trying to work my way out of being the dude who stands on the 3pt line all game.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I'm trying to work on my touch around the rim but I have to take a lot of weird floaters because i can't switch hands(I don't have a left hand). Trying to work my way out of being the dude who stands on the 3pt line all game.

Depending on how much time you have to practice, I'd actually suggest working up your left hand. It's pretty vital around the rim, especially once your angles get a lot more limited with tighter space and physical defenders. You don't need to be Kawhi or anything, but you'd be surprised how much like an hour of concentrated practice a few times a week with your left hand can go. Dribbles, basic close bank shots, baby hooks, just keep it simple and your comfort will grow.

More beneficially, I find the stronger my left hand gets, the more all round coordinated I become. I used to feel a lot more... robotic and telegraphed in certain well defended situations, but opening up an entire hand also opens up a lot more natural comfort and instincts.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Well, most paint shots by guards nowadays are weird floaters that somehow go in anyway. I suggest concentrating on midrange shots before going all the way in, there's a few spots in pickup where no on will come to challenge your shot.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

cisneros posted:

Well, most paint shots by guards nowadays are weird floaters that somehow go in anyway. I suggest concentrating on midrange shots before going all the way in, there's a few spots in pickup where no on will come to challenge your shot.

When you pull up at the free throw line on a break instead of driving for a layup, just yell out 'Jason Terry' and it's all good.

I need to learn a drop step and how to finish at the rim, too. I shoot well from mid range and out so it's always tempting to turn a potential layup into a weird jumpshot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

iamsosmrt posted:

Depending on how much time you have to practice, I'd actually suggest working up your left hand. It's pretty vital around the rim, especially once your angles get a lot more limited with tighter space and physical defenders. You don't need to be Kawhi or anything, but you'd be surprised how much like an hour of concentrated practice a few times a week with your left hand can go. Dribbles, basic close bank shots, baby hooks, just keep it simple and your comfort will grow.

More beneficially, I find the stronger my left hand gets, the more all round coordinated I become. I used to feel a lot more... robotic and telegraphed in certain well defended situations, but opening up an entire hand also opens up a lot more natural comfort and instincts.

Yeah, i definitely agree with that, except, well..

That's my left hand.

cisneros posted:

Yeah, i've started working on this and it helps a lot- i've been getting open on some baseline jumpers, too like this.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Panzeh posted:

That's my left hand.

Yeah, i've started working on this and it helps a lot- i've been getting open on some baseline jumpers, too like this.

Ohhhhhh, well, this is as close to a Seinfeldish situation as a forum post can be. I didn't realize you were being literal about the left hand! :doh: My fault.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I have a somewhat similar situation with my right hand (only a thumb and pinky) and the best thing I ever learned was a spin move so I can go right even though I can hardly dribble going that way. If you do it with the correct footwork you can create space for a shot or set up a drop step for an inside lay up. Now that I think about it, It's basically just a fluid drop step you can do in the open court/half court while still maintaining your dribble.

It works in the post too, and if you practice using your hips/rear end to shield the defender it makes up for you still finishing with the inside hand. Even better is if you do it deep enough so you can do the reverse lay up with your strong hand and use the rim and your rear end to prevent getting blocked.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

iamsosmrt posted:

Ohhhhhh, well, this is as close to a Seinfeldish situation as a forum post can be. I didn't realize you were being literal about the left hand! :doh: My fault.

No big deal! I should've been more specific.

BWV posted:

I have a somewhat similar situation with my right hand (only a thumb and pinky) and the best thing I ever learned was a spin move so I can go right even though I can hardly dribble going that way. If you do it with the correct footwork you can create space for a shot or set up a drop step for an inside lay up. Now that I think about it, It's basically just a fluid drop step you can do in the open court/half court while still maintaining your dribble.

It works in the post too, and if you practice using your hips/rear end to shield the defender it makes up for you still finishing with the inside hand. Even better is if you do it deep enough so you can do the reverse lay up with your strong hand and use the rim and your rear end to prevent getting blocked.

I really need to look at that- I have a pretty good post hook going across my left, but I really need a countermove and that seems a hell of a lot better than hucking up fadeaways.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Panzeh posted:

That's my left hand.

That is literally the funniest thing I've ever seen in SAS

"No I mean I literally don't have a left hand"

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I was trying that Penny Hardaway spin move into jumper thing the other day and it's way harder than it looks, plus I can feel it right in my knees. But my knees are my only healthy part left anyway, so I might as well.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The only time I did my high school's Alumni tournament i gave myself Saturday Night Palsy and had to play with just my right hand. Some kid made a crack about me being awkward and I held up my useless left and said I ONLY HAVE ONE HAND. I still managed to score on a push-up shot during my understandably limited minutes. So basically I know exactly what it's like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

New Goon Hoopin' here. Well it's been about 15 years.

Jesus gently caress I'm bad. It's embarrassing. I can still shoot and can take on anyone at horse but my D makes me a liability. Don't have the size or the aggressiveness.

Currently watching Kurt Rambis teach small children how to play defense on youtube from those instructional vids from like 1990.