Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tomn posted:

Remember when Slitherine was arguing that sales were bad because if people picked up the game for cheap they wouldn't invest as much time in it and appreciate it properly, among other silly arguments that Steam and sales were bad?

Not gonna lie, I'm petty enough to enjoy the quiet vindication.

Combat Mission on Steam - now that's the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926580/Broken_Lines/

Broken Lines is currently 85% off if you are looking for a light tactical strategy game with a wego system. I played though it once, it's not amazingly deep but was a fun little run through.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

Combat Mission on Steam - now that's the good stuff.

I posted about this om the discord but theres an alleged competitor coming to market in the "near" future that is combat mission but with dynamic campaigns AND, allegedly presumably according to their blurb, will include all theaters of the war (yes, Pacific too!)

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I posted about this om the discord but theres an alleged competitor coming to market in the "near" future that is combat mission but with dynamic campaigns AND, allegedly presumably according to their blurb, will include all theaters of the war (yes, Pacific too!)

That sounds sick. I will say i've had a fair bit of enjoyment with fortress italy and expansions but the fact that all the ww2 games aren't mixable is absurd to me.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 24, 2024

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Has there been a Combat Mission-alike in the Pacific before? It could be interesting. You’d be fighting the terrain as much as anything, I guess.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There have been two previous attempts, starting with the old series, to stitch Combat Mission into a campaign and both failed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xenolalia posted:

That sounds sick. I will say i've had a fair bit of enjoyment with fortress italy and expansions but the fact that all the ww2 games arn't mixable is absurd to me.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

There have been two previous attempts, starting with the old series, to stitch Combat Mission into a campaign and both failed.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2361000/Battlefield_Commander_WWII/

quote:

ABOUT THIS GAME
Battlefield Commander WWII is a game that combines strategy and tactics with historically accurate units.
Years and Theaters
Currently, the game contains units from the Soviet Union and Germany spanning the late war period (1944-45). Units from the early war ('39-'41) and mid-war ('42-'43) will also be introduced. Other nations including the US, UK, and Japan will be added in the future as well. The European, African, and Pacific theaters of war will all be included.
Game Modes
The game will be playable as single-player and online PvP skirmish, with three different battle types to choose from:

Battle - Gain victory points by destroying enemy units.
Capture - Gain victory points by controlling strategic areas on the map.
Assault - Attacker attempts to capture the defender's strategic area.

Eventually, a dynamic campaign will be added to the game for all nations.
Gameplay
Experience realistic combat with limited ammo, morale, energy, LOS, and shot accuracy. Infantry can be pinned down, panic, and rout if morale drops too far. Vehicles have accurate armor, movement, and penetration values.

Start each battle with requisition points which you will use strategically throughout the battle to pull in new reinforcements and counter your enemy. Or use them to call in heavy artillery bombardments to deal devastating blows to enemy strong points.
Features
Destructible buildings
Dynamic weather
Seasonal maps
Line-of-sight tool
Currently 86 different units
Realistic vehicle armor and penetration
Realistic infantry behavior
Single player skirmish vs AI
Single player dynamic campaign
Multiplayer PvP skirmish

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

I liked the "campaign-lite" multi-battle scenarios in CMBB. Whatever those were called.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

I liked the "campaign-lite" multi-battle scenarios in CMBB. Whatever those were called.

That thing worked, kind of, but I was talking about an operational layer that would generate Combat Mission battles depending on the oprational moves, and then return the result to the operational layer. For years it had its own development forum on the Battlefront site.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Chalk up another win for graviteam :smug:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Call to Arms - Gates of Hell: Ostfront is also really good in the same vein. Though the campaign missions (as opposed to the more strategic dynamic conquest mode) are against massively overwhelming odds and can feel a bit arcadey as a result. Bit like the older Wargame games by Eugene in that respect.

e: The modern-day Call to Arms itself is done by a different studio and is -very- arcadey though, so keep that in mind, it just uses the same(ish) engine.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 25, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I got Napoleons eagles because it was cheap. Pity the Peninsula war is 2 player only.

Anything I should be aware of before diving in?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://youtu.be/bmSD6CDNLDo

I'm taking a look at Field of Glory kingdoms - the medieval strategy layer for field of glory 2 medieval.

So far it's looking hopeful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Grey Hunter posted:

https://youtu.be/bmSD6CDNLDo

I'm taking a look at Field of Glory kingdoms - the medieval strategy layer for field of glory 2 medieval.

So far it's looking hopeful.

Oh wow! I've been looking forward to this one for over a year now, will definitely give it a watch.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is it ageod again?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pharnakes posted:

Is it ageod again?

It is, but the series is better than most AGEOD games IMO - possibly because it's a collaboration with the Field of Glory folks. The ability to export battles in particular helps massively against the tedium, and the mechanics are less historical and more grand strategy than other AGEOD games (which makes them more fun, at least for me).

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Private Speech posted:

It is, but the series is better than most AGEOD games IMO - possibly because it's a collaboration with the Field of Glory folks. The ability to export battles in particular helps massively against the tedium, and the mechanics are less historical and more grand strategy than other AGEOD games (which makes them more fun, at least for me).

The best computer wargame I ever played was a full campaign of Rise of Prussia against a guy from Moscow. Although I lost in all three theatres in the end, with the French in the West, with the Austrians in the South and with Russians in the North, I never will forget the nerve wrecking operational manoevring to cut off supply lines and concentrate your armies for a winning battle. I defeated Frederick at Prague by destroying his depot, but he recovered in Silesië and outmanoevred my unwieldy Austrian armies at Vienna, and the final battle at the Baltic coast was a very close defeat.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How do people like Ardennes Offensive? I haven't played a DC game in ages.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Chump Farts posted:

It's fine, all the new features works well, but still hampers by the AI being bad. I got bored by the mid way of the campaign as I've already captured Bastogne and achieved major victory. I guess the idea is the Allies will launch a massive counter attack in the latter half of the campaign but by then I was just sitting around making small probes here and there for multiple turns (also there's not enough fuel for all the corps to move and there is almost no VP beyond Bastogne so...why continue attacking there?) the AI doesn't seem capable of coordinating such effort as my main thrust continue to push along the Maas river only somewhat opposed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I played a little bit but it never quite clicked with me. Would be up for some MP of the smaller scenarios.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Sounds like replaying Barbarossa and Case Blue will be the way to go then.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926580/Broken_Lines/

Broken Lines is currently 85% off if you are looking for a light tactical strategy game with a wego system. I played though it once, it's not amazingly deep but was a fun little run through.

It's fun. It's worth it at that price, not regular price though.

You are right though, it's not amazingly deep, it's a short game, and you will get maybe 2 plays through it before you're ready to move on.

Edit

Looks like it's back to regular price. Not with $25 in my opinion.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chump Farts posted:

I agree with Pedro. It’s very good mechanically but the AI isn’t challenging enough. It can’t quite seem to plan and coordinate attacks and it’s not good enough at preserving its forces. I played the big scenario as the Allies rather than Germans and found it too easy to stop the enemy short of threatening Bastogne at all. While the AI did exploit a gap in my lines southeast of Bastogne to briefly threaten Arlon, once I contained that situation it was basically over. I was hammering their good units to bits with artillery and air and by the end of the 64-turn scenario (the point where, historically, the German spearhead should still be poking into Allied lines) I had reversed the advance and was rolling happily into Germany.

If you have someone you want to play PBEM with it might be a different experience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And I mean, hey, if anyone wants to PBEM I’m down. There’s an alternate scenario in the game now (Fall Martin) with an extended map and more of a role for the British forces, just for some variety.