Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Both of these levels felt really generous in terms of the number of powerups they give you. Especially compared to many of the VLDC9 levels. Were these two just outliers or have people started to accept that the level will not instantly be consigned to the bottom 10 if they give the occasional mushroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm sad there's no overworld this time around, the one for IX was neat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Holy crap, was that first one really vanilla tiles? That's some ridiculous retheming.

I really liked the bramble level, though. The gameplay mechanics came together very nicely.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The first level was really visually interesting, I loved how the smashers in the second half had cracked/destroyed tiles above or below where they hit.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
They took what easily could have turned into Somari 2, and turned it into something I kinda wish was a full hack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You thought my thread title was a joke, didn't you?

This is probably the first of a few small side-playthroughs I want to do alongside VLDC11. Something I didn't really have the time to do during the last thread was play anything other than VLDC9 because I was also doing my Danganronpa 2 LP at the same time. But right now this is the only big LP I'm working on, meaning I have the time available to do small LP projects here too. It'll allow me to showcase more than just VLDC11 and instead look into the realms of other romhacking a little more.

This is Super Mario Bros.: Peach's Adventure Demo by GreenLightningx6, also known as BWGLite on Twitter. I can totally understand if you're put off by the title screen above because...yeah. That's a big Peach. I won't lie though; the visual design is honestly what drew me to it in the first place. It was mostly in a kind of morbidly curious manner because I hadn't really seen anything like this in a hack before. I thought it was going to be just kind of weird in general, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw of the screenshots and bit of game I played before asking Tyty if he wanted to record it in a night. This hack is actually really, really good if you can get past the strange design for Peach. And honestly once you start playing you stop noticing it because you're too busy enjoying the game. It's so enjoyable that I'm actively looking forward to the hack's completion and maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be completed during this thread's life. So I hope you'll also be able to look past the visuals and enjoy it along with us.

So Tyty and I recorded this short playthrough back in November 2018, meaning you'll probably hear outdated references and other stuff in it. Pretty sure we mention a potential Mario Maker 2 in it, but obviously a real one's been announced by now! I didn't really have a place to post it at the time, but with this thread now live, there's no better time for me to upload these. Enjoy this strange but actually really solid romhack demo!

You can download this hack here if you want to check it out for yourself: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=18434

Table of Contents:

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 3, 2019

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It’s like...it’s not a terrible design at all, it’s just that it’s entirely at odds with literally any other take on the character, so it just makes you scratch your head and wonder “why this design in particular?”

The hack itself seems pretty neat though. I dig the aesthetic it’s sporting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Peach, while not a war criminal herself, is a member of the monarchy, which makes her liable for all the acts committed in the name of maintaining her power. Not the least of which includes taking an inhuman plumber capable of flight and throwing fire from his hands and using him as her personal bodyguard and hitman.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also she caused a famine in the Mushroom Kingdom by eating all the food.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Peach thicc

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Romhackeria 3: Over 80% rear end

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Besides the design choice to have Peach be thicc af, the hack actually looks pretty good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't really have a strong opinion on Peach being big, but I do wanna know why her eyes bug the hell out when she's running.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion on Peach being big, but I do wanna know why her eyes bug the hell out when she's running.

It looks to me like she's looking behind her out of the corner of her eye as she runs, as though she's fleeing from something, which is itself kind of an odd choice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Peach posted:

Hrrrrrrnnggh Toadsworth, I'm trying to go on a warpath but I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the Koopa Troopas!

The pseudo 8-bit style is pretty nice, I really dig the way those urchin dudes look in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
BBP Big Beautiful Peach

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

It looks to me like she's looking behind her out of the corner of her eye as she runs, as though she's fleeing from something, which is itself kind of an odd choice.

She's going cross eyed to my mind's eye.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Join me, everyone, in a journey... through Chaos. I'll be playing a Dawn of Sorrow Randomizer, expect everything from new weapon and soul drops, changed drop rates, enemies in new places with new statlines, oh, and a completely randomly generated castle map. Along for the ride will be Liquidypoo, trying to adjust to the madness before us.

Episodes should come out fairly regularly, once, maybe twice a week, depending on how quickly I get through this seed. If you'd like to play along, check out the randomizer here. https://github.com/LagoLunatic/dsvrandom Note that the seed I'm on was generated with the 1.2.0 release, and there are several bug fixes and QOL features already added in the next release.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 31, 2022

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I didn't realize there was a Dawn of Sorrow randomizer and after seeing this video, I need to play it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, this should be cool. I've had a lot of fun with the Aria of Sorrow randomiser, but I never got too familiar with Dawn so this is new to me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

To answer your question about the music in the sewers FPzero I think it's from Paper Mario

Aldo where's the appreciation for Peaches goofy face when she runs

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 14, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love how it randomizes the map. Exploration is always my favorite part of these things and too few randomizers offer good map randomization options. I might have to give it a shot some day.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

You'll love what it promises to do for Portrait and Ecclesia then.

And yes, I will continue onto those when I finished Dawn.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I guess the answer of "why is Peach so big" is "why shouldn't she be?" Unlike Fat Princess the game isn't about the character's enormous weight, thiccness just happens to be an aspect of her character. So, I guess, you go girl?

I can't help feeling though that it's also the guy's fetish, in which case this seems like an awful lot of work to go through to gratify it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

how much of :kazooieass: Peach is sprite vs. how much is hitbox?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm going to need a full sized version of that "Soma standing in the Metroid Fusion frozen storage with the Crawling Skull" image you overlaid the video on.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Title screen aside, those Peach sprites are real cute!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm still not entirely sure how that crazy autoscrolling is achieved but man is it cool.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like that this episode showed both a good and bad use of multiple paths through a level.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

That third level is very technically impressive.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 15, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The multiple loops in that last level seem to work because they're short, so even if you have to go through a few times the gimmick doesn't outstay its welcome.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

If that's the caliber the top 20 levels reached, I can't wait to see the top ten. yogui really went for it with YESCROLL.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

(This will be continued in the dedicated randomizer thread!)

I've been feeling a little worn out recently. I think I need to play something nice and relaxing.

Ah, good old Blazing Sword. Surely we're all sufficiently familiar with this game by now that there can be no-

-surprises...?!

All right so what the heck?

This is Yune.

Yune is three ounces of whoop-rear end a randomizer for Fire Emblem. It claims to be universal, but right now it "only" supports FE4 and the GBA titles. Which is still a lot! It's also even more amusing than the other randomizers I've seen, because reasons.

Let's check it out.

Ninian's Bizarre Randomizer: Dragon Blood
01: Lynian, of the Lorca
02: Hector, you lout!
03: Kicking Glass
04: What Happened To Dorcas
05: The wrath of Rath
06: A frail Lycian priestess
07: Wyvern Lord, on tour now
08: Matthewood
09: Chef Beyard
10: Nice Ballista, Nerd
11: A Cunning Plan
12: A Giant Walks Among You

Ninian's Bizarre Randomizer: BadCon Tendency
13: Get A Load Of This Guy
14: Bards Of A Feather
15: Different Beginnings

Ramos posted:

I can't believe Florina got so big.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 1, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Now this is going to be fun. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As someone who's not super-familiar with Fire Emblem, I gather that the stats and equipment of every single unit in the game have been individually randomized?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As someone who's not super-familiar with Fire Emblem, I gather that the stats and equipment of every single unit in the game have been individually randomized?

Probably growths too, which will make for a very interesting run.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Artix posted:

Now this is going to be fun. :allears:

For given definitions of "fun" :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty much, yes! Characters, their classes and stats, what gear they have, the stats of weapons, what treasure you get... all of it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Considering how fire emblem works, would that leave you with a very real possibility of just running out of usable weapons for a class or two?

Either way, I'm liking these randomizer runs popping up. Got super into silly Dark Souls 1 runs with enemies and items randomized and while the runs aren't at all cohesive or even reasonable in a lot of chunks, it's part of the fun.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
What's the deal with Fire Emblam anyway. I always have assumed it's a Nintendo owned jrpg similar to final fantasy given the characters appearances in smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gridlocked posted:

What's the deal with Fire Emblam anyway. I always have assumed it's a Nintendo owned jrpg similar to final fantasy given the characters appearances in smash.
Short version: It's more like Final Fantasy Tactics, if you've played that. It's still quite different in a lot of ways, but at least they're in the same genre.

Long version: It's a Nintendo-owned SRPG series whose most notable traits are having loads and loads of characters, permadeath (any character who dies stays dead, at least up until I think the DS titles where you can turn that off if you want), and weapon durability. Also, all of your characters have randomized stat gains (with certain probabilities of increase, depending upon the character) on level up, so you might get everything or just HP on level-up. I haven't encountered a completely dead level yet, so I dunno if those are possible.