Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh I didnt click through enough. That makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite "Dark Souls is totally fair" moment happened when I was going through Remastered when it released and I entered the Capra Demon fight and the dogs attacked me before the fog door animation finished and they hitbox blocked me in the doorway so I couldn't move

Also I think the whole "YOU GOTTA BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS" thing is total bullshit and only really applies to like...Sen's Fortress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
one of my favorite things about dark souls is that you can throw poop over a wall and poison capra demon from outside the arena

you can also snipe the final boss of the dlc from outside lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

one of my favorite things about dark souls is that you can throw poop over a wall and poison capra demon from outside the arena

you can also snipe the final boss of the dlc from outside lol

I did this with my dex build I hosed up really bad and used the moonlight bow lol

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

3/5. But, like, a really positive 3. I sunk a ton of time into the game and went through multiple times, including the level 1 run. I love it mechanically and it's the first successful modern entry in my favorite genre. All that said, as a lot of people have noted, the level and boss design fall off a cliff near the end and you start losing the things that made the early game good.

A lot of character-defining stuff is a little too-well hidden; you're not going to get to try the dragon covenant, for example, until you know the game so well that getting in is just busywork. One of the series' greatest weaknesses has consistently been placing the most interesting movesets in such obscure and/or lategame locations that you're probably not going to have an appropriate build for them unless you've built a character from the ground-up after you learn they exist and the stat requirement to moveset correspondence has never been strong enough that you can just say "I like fast weapons so I'll go dex heavy".

Also, Demon's Souls was better in many ways. Especially with regard to atmosphere/presentation and invasions; the design there has been getting progressively worse over time, to the point where in DS2 it's not even a real thing until you're in NG+. Maybe 3 bounces back, haven't gotten around to it yet. I would 100% buy a DeS remaster but I have zero interest in the DS thing; it's been eclipsed both by what came before and what came after in Bloodbourne and the very different but still great Sekiro.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I just don't know why anyone would bother with Dork Souls when you can play a way better game by the same people that's about werewolves with guns

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Defined an entire sub-genre of games.
Wasn't afraid to get weird with mechanics.
Made an intriguing world with facinating characters.
I'll give Bed of Chaos a mulligan (because, yeah, that was a stinker).

5/5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EightFlyingCars posted:

I just don't know why anyone would bother with Dork Souls when you can play a way better game by the same people that's about werewolves with guns

Because the dorks's soul is better.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Because the dorks's soul is better.

nuh uhhhhh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I came to Dark Souls not really knowing why, wanting to understand what I had missed with Demons Souls at the time since my dumbass brain during the PS2 era would just grab every Atlus game and didn't really understand why they were releasing this incredibly generic looking brown game that's barely an RPG (nevermind the fact that I maybe would complete 1 in 15 titles that they released so the devotion to their prior library was asinine, or that Demons Souls owns). I got a cheap steam key for Dark Souls while it was still on Games for Windows live, which with my specific setup did not ever give me any real mechanical problems (I never installed DSfix, for example) but which could not authenticate online gameplay for whatever reason so my first runthrough started with no comments, no invasions, no support.

The path I took through that game was dumb as poo poo, and it took like 5 separate attempts separated by a few months to finally get into the groove. Yes, my dumbass fought the skeletons for an entire attempt, the game is supposed to be hard right, and nobody ever mentioned an interconnected world, so once I found this first path I just assumed that was it; I looked up nothing online, and had no comments showing me alternatives.

I found the stairs down first, and what the gently caress is up with these ghosts? The skeletons are assholes but at least I don't need a drat consumable to hit them. Should I just run through and see how far I get? Okay, bad idea, there are ghosts loving everywhere, I'm missing something, like I missed the stairs down. Then as I'm coming up the stairs I finally see a path up... was that there the whole time?

I missed the stairs leading up to the bell gargoyle fight in the chapel, so I rang the Blightown bell first. This meant running around the entire game world pre-teleport (conveniently ignoring that chapel) wondering what the hell I missed and how the hell to proceed. Yeah I remember that gate, but why won't it open? Do I really need to retrace my steps through the obvious beginner area... well gently caress, that WASN'T there, I swear.

And then by Sen's Fortress the game had completely clicked for me... or so I thought. I love that area, filled with traps and alternate paths and freakin' snakes. I took forever to comb through it but I stopped trying to find faults with things and finally just took it for what it was, a game like my old NES Megamans and Castlevanias that wanted a performance out of you. And then my performance fell flat on it's face. I could not for the life of me figure out where to go when I hit Anor Londo, and since I didn't feel like retreading the game world again like I did unknowingly looking for the Gargoyles, I finally thought I shelved it.

Cut to them updating the game to remove GFW. I didn't really come back to it with any expectations, pretty much trying again simply because I needed to know. And immediately I come across a comment showing the only path forward. From that point on I never really got stuck again, and found a fondness for the comment system that I don't think I would have had had they been there from the beginning.

I'm rambling I know, but despite the weird path I took and the walls that came up because of them I kept persevering because the world was interesting, the enemies were interesting, the bosses were interesting, I wanted to be let into this world more than I even appreciated while I was playing half of it, and while the games have certainly been iterated upon and functionally made better, and the second half clearly didn't get as much attention as the first, there's something about the game world and gameplay of Dark Souls 1 that is simply more fascinating.

5/5

(P.S. Bed of Chaos is such a poo poo boss that I almost docked a point just for it despite all that.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EightFlyingCars posted:

Because Bloodborne, while great, has its own problems(half the bosses are screaming werewolves and the other half are various flavors of cthulhumonster, for example), and the two games play completely differently despite being superficially similar.

It's like asking why someone would play Tekken when Street Fighter exists.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I do wonder that actually

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kanos posted:

Because Bloodborne, while great, has its own problems(half the bosses are screaming werewolves and the other half are various flavors of cthulhumonster, for example)

this is a problem?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly Sekiro is better than all three of the Dark Souls games combined so I'm very excited to see where the games go from here

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly Sekiro is better than all three of the Dark Souls games combined so I'm very excited to see where the games go from here

I've only played DS2, which I'd give a 3/5 and Sekiro which I'd absolutely give 5/5.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Where does The Surge lie in that continuum?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Looper posted:

this is a problem?

It's super boring and samey to go from "screaming werewolf" to "screaming werewolf but this one farts poo gas" to "screaming werewolf but this one can heal" to "screaming werewolf but with lightning", especially when they all look and sound so god damned similar. The parade of giant cthulhumonsters is better and more varied, at least.

There's some really great boss fights in BB, but the first parts nearly put me off the game out of boredom.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Breetai posted:

Where does The Surge lie in that continuum?

The Surge has maybe the single best character reveal of all-time so it gets a free point there. Otherwise I think all the small ideas are cool (cutting off limbs rules), but it's got a lot of balance issues. I had to have someone tell me how to beat the first boss because it's a puzzle boss and the solution is so finnickey that even though I tried the correct solution once it didn't work, so I stopped trying it until someone told me. The controls aren't as tight and movement is somehow even floatier and more imprecise than Dark Souls which can lead to a lot of frustration in regards to avoiding obstacles. That being said, I'm still excited for the sequel because I think if they just tightened up a few things it'd be really good. I heard the DLC is great but I really don't want to replay it again just for that.

Probably like a 6/10 game

Also I like Bloodborne a lot but my issue with it compared to Dark Souls is how weapons are such a slow trickle, and if you gently caress up and don't start the game with the Axe the beginning will suck rear end until you grind enough souls to buy it, because you're sure as hell not getting any work done with the Threaded Cane. I sort of have the same issue with Nioh, where I like everything about the game except that I don't like using any of the weapons

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 4, 2019

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

There isn't a single weapon in any of the Souls games that's even remotely as satisfying as the Kirkhammer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EightFlyingCars posted:

There isn't a single weapon in any of the Souls games that's even remotely as satisfying as the Kirkhammer

DaS1 Zweihander is significantly better

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My friend streamed through the entire Dark Souls series recently and he was complaining about not liking any of the weapons he found in DS1. I told him about my favorite weapon, the Great Club, and he proceeded to use the great club in each game for the entire playthrough. That weapon loving rules

also he stopped playing Dark Souls 2 after like six hours because the game is boring and not good and the fact that so many people feel the need to defend it without any prompting (looking at you, this thread) goes a long way of showing you in just how dire straits that game's reputation is

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My friend streamed through the entire Dark Souls series recently and he was complaining about not liking any of the weapons he found in DS1. I told him about my favorite weapon, the Great Club, and he proceeded to use the great club in each game for the entire playthrough. That weapon loving rules

also he stopped playing Dark Souls 2 after like six hours because the game is boring and not good and the fact that so many people feel the need to defend it without any prompting (looking at you, this thread) goes a long way of showing you in just how dire straits that game's reputation is

I was about to crash in here and yell "Great Club! Great Club!" while banging my fists on the table, but I see my services aren't needed.

Dark Souls 2 is a very polarizing game that people seem to absolutely love with all of their heart or hate, with little middle ground.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Kanos posted:

I was about to crash in here and yell "Great Club! Great Club!" while banging my fists on the table, but I see my services aren't needed.

Dark Souls 2 is a very polarizing game that people seem to absolutely love with all of their heart or hate, with little middle ground.

Dark Souls 2 was okay.

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT
I'm on the fence about this one, but Dark Souls (and really From Software as a whole) do two things I really like:

1. Epic sweeping landscapes, structures, backgrounds, and a general level design that instills a feeling of the sublime very effectively. Always feeling like you've found something ancient, lost, mysterious, majestic, massive, and just beyond you. I just loved how their levels were designed, always feeling much bigger than they are, always letting you feel like you are personally discovering something you aren't meant to, coaxing you in rather than shuttling you through.

2. Brought a kind of superficially 'hardcore' gameplay back into the mainstream. While nowhere near as intense as actual roguelikes, certain cRPGS, etc, I still think that any game that can bring back the whole "you will die a lot, because this is hard" trend is doing a service to the entire mainstream catalog. And I'm pretty sure the influence of the Dark Souls/From games has led to a lot more market tolerance for that kind of gameplay (which had become desperately, desperately needed in gaming imo).

Additionally, the game incorporates action gameplay, forcing you to deftly dodge and fight through massive attack sequences from equally massive bosses, something that was also common decades ago but seems forgotten until you play these games. The kind of challenge that seems overwhelmingly punishing when you first play, but eventually becomes almost effortless to deal with, solely because you've learned how to move and fight effectively.

Of course, it's easy to balance high challenge when you give infinite retries. You can't save scum, but it's definitely no marathon - the levels are chopped up into fairly small, very digestible bits, with the idea that you're coming back to life being built into the story and gameplay of the game itself (and their other games). Does this take away from the gameplay? Not necessarily. And after all, it isn't really meant to be that hardcore of a game. It's amazing that these games got popular enough as it is; I doubt they could have gotten away with more (or should have). But sometimes, I do wonder if expecting to fight a boss 50 times while only having to win once, essentially means that we are allowing randomness or luck to be what really pushes us through the game. But theirs and many other (meatboy, etc) games have succeeded with this formula.

I'm not exactly sure how this game compares to Dark Souls 2 and 3, nor Demon's Souls, all of which I played about an hour of each. So I don't know if I'm reviewing this game, or maybe the Souls series as a whole? But Dark Souls really hit the sweet spot for me - it's a simple, obscure feeling experience that manages to create this oddly surreal world that completely enchants you and never lets go. How many hundreds of magical, epic, massive worlds do we see described or depicted these days? They are often fun, but few are as convincing and extreme as this game. These twisted and mythical landscapes make the Lord of the Rings movie look normal and low key in comparison. For some reason the Japanese often excel at creating exotic and surreal settings, and I think this game is a prime example of that.

Dark Souls didn't really do anything first, but it did everything in a "freshly traditional" way that was acceptable for modern audiences. It managed to affect gaming trends of the last decade in a way that was sorely loving needed, pointing the market back towards challenging singleplayer games, at a time when challenging games of any kind seemed increasingly relegated to the indie scene and enthusiasts(linux), and singleplayer games were becoming more rare as well. If Dark Souls were an indie game it would have worked pretty well; but instead it's a AAA with impeccable production quality. And for that reason, it kinda blows me away that it exists, and I'm really happy it does!

5/5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got Dark Souls remastered in the steam sale, so I will be able to talk about it better at some point but it we are going with my PS3 experience of it then I got stuck on the asylum demon at the very start for hours. Then not long after that I barely made any progress anywhere. I have had more luck with Bloodborne, but I am still absolutely terrible at these games and find it tough to rate them.

On the one side, they are well made it would seem and are not slapdash. There is a meticulous amount of world building and design within the game and they really do look good. The atmosphere is probably the number 1 thing about them and no other game feels as oppressive to me as the start of Dark Souls/Large amount of Bloodborne.

However, I struggle to call them fun. Now and then when I do well (which is fleeting) I think I am having fun, but mostly I am panicking and worrying about getting to the next bonfire or lantern and not dying. Then there is the realisation that everyone I have faced (except the bosses) will return and I feel dread. I have tried so much to get into these games because of the forum and the love for them and I want to experience that! I hate the thought of missing out on good games and that is why I am giving the remastered version another try in the hope that I can do it, but I genuinely am not sure if I am the kind of gamer cut out for it.

2/5 (current score. I will change if this entry is still changeable by the time I am playing the remastered one).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VideoGames posted:

However, I struggle to call them fun. Now and then when I do well (which is fleeting) I think I am having fun, but mostly I am panicking and worrying about getting to the next bonfire or lantern and not dying. Then there is the realisation that everyone I have faced (except the bosses) will return and I feel dread. I have tried so much to get into these games because of the forum and the love for them and I want to experience that! I hate the thought of missing out on good games and that is why I am giving the remastered version another try in the hope that I can do it, but I genuinely am not sure if I am the kind of gamer cut out for it.

I think the boss locations are my second biggest gripe with the design of the series. The game is clearly meant for you to be dying a lot, and so having bonfires be a usually substantial walk from the arena, also usually filled with enemies, is incredibly demoralizing. It's funny that people defend this so hard, and then Sekiro comes out and totally fixes this issue with bonfires everywhere and short boss walks so every fight is trivial to practice.

My biggest issue with the series is that the games has two difficulty curves, one based on enemy difficulty and movesets but then another based on numbers, and the numbers are weird and esoteric and hard to get a feel for unless you want to do a lot of reading on a wiki. Some weapons are just straight-up bad and the fact that you have to spend level-ups AND items you wouldn't know how to farm mean that it's scary to invest your limited resources. It's really hard for new players to know if a weapon is bad because it's fallen behind the curve in terms of upgrades or it's just actually a bad weapon and will never that good. On that note, it's really hard to know if your damage is low because you need a better weapon or if an enemy is just hard. Weapons scale with stats, but like...how much? Again, unless you wanna read the wiki, the game won't tell you. Also, upgrading armor, or even using armor in general, is just a total trap (unless you're going full Havels or something).

I said my first experience with the game was getting stuck in the Depths, but in my playthrough where I first beat the game, once I got frustrated against O/S I decided to stop playing blind and do research. I learned to basically wear as little armor as possible so I could lightroll, fully upgrade the Silver Knight Sword, and that was basically game over. From there on the game was pretty easy, and I beat a lot of bosses like Centipede and Four Kings on my first try.

The real secret of the series is that the games aren't actually that demanding from a gameplay perspective, they're just balanced around you not having any idea how any of the systems work while intentionally keeping that information hidden.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The real secret of the series is that the games aren't actually that demanding from a gameplay perspective, they're just balanced around you not having any idea how any of the systems work while intentionally keeping that information hidden.

This is traditionally known as either the Rogue or SaGa school of game design

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Huh, the poster who said "make a dark souls vote to kill your thread" was right.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's a shame too, I liked this thread. Was a fun exercise.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

remusclaw posted:

It's a shame too, I liked this thread. Was a fun exercise.

How good was it, really? It was fun, but also some of the opinions I did not agree with and therefore it was bad.

A thread of contrasts.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

How good was it, really?

2/5
It's got some of my posts in it, which sucks, but also, it encouraged me to post in it, which also sucks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, there's nothing stopping anyone else from throwing a game into the ring, so hell, I'll go.

What does everyone think of...

Game Revolution posted:

It's so good it should come with a warning label -- or at least some methadone.

Happy Puppy posted:

Could possibly be the best game ever.

Gamespot posted:

The levels are bigger, the trick catalog is more plentiful, the number of goals per level has been doubled, and the already stunning gameplay has been honed even further.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2!!!

I never played it lol.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

4\5

Amazing skating game, but no revert, which is why thps3 gets a 5\5.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

4\5

All that there is to say about it really

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

4\5

This is the correct take. THPS4 is like a 3/5 and the Underground games were pretty alright.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

4/5

Very good game, two points off because later games did it better, one point added back because those games have very little Goldfinger in their soundtracks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
4/5

Personally I played more Dave Mirra BMX but I did play a ton of this with friends

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bushisms.txt posted:

4\5

100% this, I love the game but man adjusting to not having a revert is hard.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sports games are for weenies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I used the custom level editor to make a giant skateboard jousting arena where you and the other guy ramp at each other over a spike pit. It ruled. 5