Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2/5

A time capsule to a time when games had to be focused score attack experiences because consoles lacked thr hardware for bigger things. Thats not a bad thing on its own but THPS never felt super satisfying for me to play as a kid as far as score attack goes given most levels have a "perfect route". Its own series of game line had a few games better than this one and some interesting evolutions of the formula as console power changed but ultimately died because this became a bit niche genre.

Has a version for Korea with Korean pop-stars as skaters and tags for their band everywhere.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know that it's right to call the Tony Hawk series niche. If anything, they probably attracted a more mainstream audience in the way other sports games do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

I don't know that it's right to call the Tony Hawk series niche. If anything, they probably attracted a more mainstream audience in the way other sports games do.

I think it absolutely did, once. Now the specific score attack sports game which had dozens of titles is limited to indie games. At this point the genre is even more niche than point and click adventure games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kind of agree. I should love Olli olli, but I can only play a few minutes before I'm bored

Though the new Olympic Tokyo games is good, wish that would release it in NA already

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 15, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

HA, I didn't think I would lead to a little resurrection but great! As for Tony Hawk 2. I never played it. I heard it had a great soundtrack though!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not a lot of uptake on the last one, but gently caress it, here we go again. With such a low sample size, Tony Hawk 2 comes out at a 3.87, putting it just below Street Fighter 2.

Anyway, our next game, with a 91% on Metacritic, is

Gamepsy posted:

A brilliant action game from beginning to end, and is packed with so many amazing moments that it's my leading candidate for the best PC game of 2003

G4 TV posted:

It has it all: harrowing missions, top-notch graphics and special effects, and convincing audio and voice acting. Few games in this genre approach the level of polish and design seen here.

IGN posted:

You have to love a game that glues you to your seat and keeps you interested... A thrilling piece of software that action fans should grab a hold of and love fiercely.
the game that spawned a franchise, it's Call of Duty

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

3\5

Spiteful rehash of MoHAA after the ea split, with a worse engine. Popularized the iron sights for console, which meant "realism"in those days. With the loss of mobility from mohaa, it was a more rigid slowed down affair. I'd rather play dod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
COD1 wasn't a console game, it was PC only at first.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gross, another game I've never played!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

COD1 wasn't a console game, it was PC only at first.

I was speaking on the franchise. The big difference between cod and MoHAA was cross hairs and mobility, with cod going for a weird physics based movement, which was just floaty, though mantling was cool. Also active crosshairs, and introduced the end of shooters as we knew them, by adding prone, ugh.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Would like to help keep the thread alive, but I never played a COD before 4.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I watched my partner play Modern Warfare Remastered and it felt kind of like an interactive version of a theme park attraction where you shoot a bunch of mans. It felt super duper guided and on-rails. Has CoD always been like that or is that a more modern thing in the series?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

EightFlyingCars posted:

I watched my partner play Modern Warfare Remastered and it felt kind of like an interactive version of a theme park attraction where you shoot a bunch of mans. It felt super duper guided and on-rails. Has CoD always been like that or is that a more modern thing in the series?

I've actually never liked COD's multiplayer, and I never played the campaigns past two; COD4's demo put me off so much because of how completely ridiculously corridorshoot it was. Which must mean that the earlier games mustn't have been as completely linear. There was definitely less stacking up on doors and waiting for a bot to open it. For the first game I mostly remember the Russian campaign, which had a lot of wide open fields to run across and towns to clear.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's quite a bizarre feeling to have a game shouting "modern!" at you and yet featuring literal monster closets spawning infinite guys with AKs instead of letting you feel like you're making good progress the way something like GoldenEye could accomplish

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chronojam posted:

It's quite a bizarre feeling to have a game shouting "modern!" at you and yet featuring literal monster closets spawning infinite guys with AKs instead of letting you feel like you're making good progress the way something like GoldenEye could accomplish

Perfect dark and goldeneye are still some of the best shooters.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

3\5

Spiteful rehash of MoHAA after the ea split, with a worse engine. Popularized the iron sights for console, which meant "realism"in those days. With the loss of mobility from mohaa, it was a more rigid slowed down affair. I'd rather play dod.

4.5/5

I'll be the contrarian here, and say that it's a better game in almost every way than Allied Assault, and I think I can fairly say that after playing way too much of both as a kid, and still playing way too much in the past few weeks even. Allied Assault has some great moments, but the missions between Overlord and Schmerzen aren't that great (besides the tank level) and the level design feels pretty barren these days. Call of Duty, in contrast, manages to keep up it's high intensity gameplay and firefights throughout most of the campaign, and it's focus on firefights and overwhelming sound design is pretty spectacular. The iron sights aren't nearly as bad in CoD, weapons still have good accuracy without using them (compare CoD1 SMGs to CoD2 SMGs), and you are actually just as mobile in CoD as in MoHAA, if not more so.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

4.5/5
say that it's a better game in almost every way than Allied Assault. Allied Assault has some great moments, and the level design feels pretty barren these days.

Allied assault has the best set of multiplayer maps still. V2, Stalingrad, bridge, the cemetary\town, Omaha, algiers, and more. I'm not talking campaign, played that once and then moved to online, I'm talking basic mechanics and moment to moment gameplay. Mohaa's twitch based, active lean, and amazing weapon selection, kar98 the god, was replaced with a floaty physics based movement and weak guns.

You're also downplaying how revolutionary mohaa, and its campaign\ai, were viewed as. And the music is untoppable.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Ah, I never played multiplayer, so you’d definitely know better than me on that front. And allied assault’s music is incredible, cod couldn’t match it.

But in other areas? The problem with being revolutionary is that you quickly become obsolete.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3/5

Super influential game obviously, because it made WW2 battles feel epic by introducing enemy spawners to FPS games. When the mechanic works right it makes battles feel epic, hard fought, and then a wave of relief as the place where enemies poured from becomes safe. Its utterly miserable when that doesnt work or the spawn wave wrecks you or you get a clownshow hallway of corpses.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

2/5. The game was good but it really hasn't held up. It's got a lot of issues from games of that time, and it mars it pretty heavily. Like, I get the historical significance, but it's just not that great when you look at it in a modern setting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2.5/5 for me. Probably the best of the pre-MW games but it very much copied from recent movies and the like. The Stalingrad opening level was pretty much stolen right from Enemy At The Gates, complete with the 'One Man Gets Gun, Next Man Gets Bullets' BS.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

Ah, I never played multiplayer, so you’d definitely know better than me on that front. And allied assault’s music is incredible, cod couldn’t match it.

But in other areas? The problem with being revolutionary is that you quickly become obsolete.

MoHAA pioneered the big budget mil "sim" industry and CoDs search and destroy mode with it's objective maps. And still being one of the best fps of all time doesn't make you obsolete, or you gonna throw that at games like DOOM?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

MoHAA pioneered the big budget mil "sim" industry and CoDs search and destroy mode with it's objective maps. And still being one of the best fps of all time doesn't make you obsolete, or you gonna throw that at games like DOOM?

Yes, I would never go back to DOOM.

CoD gets a 2/5 for me because I hate the Enemy at the Gates ripoff russian levels. That poo poo is ripped strait from rear end-covering postwar nazi propaganda.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Its a good game, but 2 really was the killer in the series, that game was so crazy for the time. Now, well, I don't play that sort of game anymore, but, I did once upon a time, and this one was pretty good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Realized I never actually rated it, but I'll give it a 3.5/5. I disliked the multiplayer and it's not something I've ever felt like going back to play, but COD1 was the first game whose campaign really made you feel like just another soldier in a massive war, especially the Russian one. It had a sense of scale that MOHAA didn't.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just remembered this thread, guess I'm the only one lmao. Anyways, COD1 comes in with a 2.93, so still better than The Sims and GOW. I'm going real broad with the next one...

It's got a fucken 99% on Metacritic, it's the first game to earn 10s across the board from the once-prestigious Famitsu, Gamespsot says

quote:

A game that can't be called anything other than flawless...This is the masterpiece that people will still be talking about ten years down the road.
It's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
this series should have been put out to pasture ages ago. i have no positive feelings for anything in it left, just exhaustion at the concept of climbing a hill and seeing more underdeveloped NPCs in the form of dekus and gorkons yet again. As such I cannot rate ocarina.

There is nothing actually fun about link's movement and the game is effectively just doing a series of things in a row with no sense of narrative progression or getting better at anything. This was totally fine given that Zelda 64 was just meant to be BIG, and it was exciting at the time, but then they remade this same game with slight variations for decades.

All of these games are technically well made and being too critical of anything nintendo does always feels dumb because their games always feel complete and non-buggy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 9, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Metal Gear Solid is the progenitor of cinematic games, though ocarina of Time could've easily held that title had it come out a few months earlier. The camera moves in OoT are, too a certain degree, still unmatched by modern games. Outside of Kojima, I don't know of many studios that pay attention to the relationship between camera and player like Nintendo. They did give us Lakitu as the camera man in Sm64. BotW carries some of the same philosophy, but due to tech advances, has lost a little of the charm OoT oozed.

On the gameplay side, yes, it's a 3d reheated lttp, although TP is an even worse version of this, but that can't hand wave a way the experience of 3d hyrule for the first time. I use to play and beat the game at least once a month until Majora's mask, it was fun just learning the world, getting the skullatas and trying to get through the dungeons as quick as possible; Dodongo's still gives me anxiety for some reason.

And both the first time jump and the final fight are still some of the best moments in gaming. Not knowing what happens when you put the sword in the Stone, and then you're adult link in a hosed up world with zombies. And that circle of fire, whew, still get chills. Ganon's dreadlocks were on point

5\5

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

this series should have been put out to pasture ages ago. i have no positive feelings for anything in it left, just exhaustion at the concept of climbing a hill and seeing more underdeveloped NPCs in the form of dekus and gorkons yet again. As such I cannot rate ocarina.

There is nothing actually fun about link's movement and the game is effectively just doing a series of things in a row with no sense of narrative progression or getting better at anything. This was totally fine given that Zelda 64 was just meant to be BIG, and it was exciting at the time, but then they remade this same game with slight variations for decades.

All of these games are technically well made and being too critical of anything nintendo does always feels dumb because their games always feel complete and non-buggy.

Did you not like BOTW? That seems like a massive change from the formula.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Woah, you've pulled a dangerous card here!

Back in the day I played and loved it but the depth outside of gameplay just isn't there for me. I know it's an ARPG rather than just an RPG but I want more depth in character and story.

I'll give it a 3/5 these days. Still has good atmosphere, gameplay and sound design but a lot of what it does has been done better since.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its ugly, the controls are strange, its easy almost to the point of not being challenging, and accidentally hitting A after talking to the owl was the worst possible thing.

5/5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3/5

I dont like Ocarina of Time very much, not when it was new and not in hindsight. Text boxes lurch slowly along, the overworld is dull and lifeless and felt like padding even to kid me, the combat is this awful half step of more engaged than Link to the Past but not actually more interesting, navi is a piece of work whose code offends me, the iron boots exist, the thing runs at like 6 frames a second, the N64 makes everything look ugly as hell, minigames are bad bad times, and oh my god the text is so slow despite such a nothing story. It does have lots of dungeons with good layouts outside of Jabbu Jabbu which makes it basically the best 3d Zelda by default.

Ive had to give it a 3 because its better than BotW which is better than Majoras Mask so theres nowhere else I can score it without assigning 0 scores to games that ostensibly function.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I'm going to rate this based on my most recent playthrough (2018).

Graphically it is alright. They get the job done, create a nice world for Link to do his thing in and are nice and cheerful.
The gameplay has aged, but I honestly don't think the newer installments really improve on it a whole lot (though I haven't played Breath Of The Wild). If Breath of the Wild is more of the same when it comes to controls, the series really needs to pull its head out of its rear end and get with the times.
Overall the game is...fine? The controls weren't annoying enough and it's lived up well enough that I finished it, but there really isn't that much to do in the game world outside of the story. It felt like Link to the Past had way more reasons to trek off the beaten path, talk to people etc.

3/5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I should, I guess, give Ocarina credit for creating the defining humanoid gannon look but on the otherhand that owl. gently caress that owl.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

I should, I guess, give Ocarina credit for creating the defining humanoid gannon look but on the otherhand that owl. gently caress that owl.

Do you wish to read this entire thread again?
> Yes
No

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

How Good Was It Really: A Weekly Poll

Here's the deal, there have been so many video games to come out over the years. We're talking at least two hundred video games. Maybe more! Some of these games we look back on with fond memories, some we have forgotten but all deserve the chance to be looked back on in a different light. Times have changed. Some games have aged badly and look different in a present light, others were ignored in their day but have stood the test of time. In this thread we're going to look back on the games of the past to judge with the fair and measured eye that only goons can offer. Each week we'll do a deep dive on a particular game to decide just how good was it, really?

So here's how this works. Every game will be rated between 1 and 5 and at the end of the week I'll tot up the average to give the game its final score. All votes must be whole numbers, we don't accept any of that decimal poo poo round these parts. And finally the most important rule of all, every vote must be combined with at least one sentence to explain your reasons. This thread isn't just about numbers, it's about inspiring fun and spirited conversations! It's a pretty simple concept so there aren't any more rules than that, let's crack straight on with things!

(And if you have a game you think we should discuss then shoot me a suggestion by PM and I'll add it to the list!)

Rankings

1. Super Mario 64: 4.38
2. Doom: 4.22
3. Street Fighter II: 3.94
4. Grand Theft Auto III: 3.28
5. The Sims: 2.8
6. Gears of War: 1.97

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm going to jump on in here with one of my all-time hottest takes which is that OoT is a tedious, mediocre exercise in frustration that I never found at all enjoyable. I recognize the technical feat which it represented, and that it had a lot of interesting ideas surrounding the ocarina, and it did admittedly have Saria. Maybe I was just stupid, but I struggled to ever really know what I was meant to do next after the first couple of hours, and most of the places I ever ended up in seemed wonderful and interesting and... totally devoid of anything to do or any guidance on when I should return and find that had changed.

To me it's a directionless, unfun technical masterpiece. 2/5.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, not sure we can friends any more Ms A :(

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always thought Ocarina of Time was an extremely dull sequel to LTTP and Link's Awakening. That boring rear end cutscene where the fairy flies to the big tree, and just all the other cutscenes and slow moving poo poo and stealth sections and boring combat and lovely levels and slow as gently caress block puzzles. It's a slow game and I hate slow games.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rarity posted:

Wow, not sure we can friends any more Ms A :(

People don't generally agree with my OoT takes but what really winds a lot of them up is my WW take, which is that it is incredible and one of the best Zeldas ever