Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Doom continues to be one of the most fun gaming experiences available and shows no signs of being removed from that list. We were a Mac family back in the day so I played through it for the first time 5-10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never liked Doom all that much when it was new. As mentioned the level design is pretty bad.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

It’s still fun to play today. Heck, I even enjoyed the SNES version back in the day. As awful as it looked, the gameplay was more or less all there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The most negative thing I am capable of saying about Doom is that it invented the unskipable in engine cutscene.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doom was ground-breaking for its time but going back to it today without zDoom and various other tweaks is a painful experience. And put me in the camp that thinks everything Doom did, Doom 2 did better. Put Doom 2 up for this and I'll give it a 5

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know, I don't think I've ever actually played Doom. But it is only 4 quid on Steam and I'm off work today :thunkher:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Thread Where Everyone Rates Their Favorite Childhood Games 5.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Orv posted:

Don't worry, there will be plenty of more recent games and also ones less deserving of 5s!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Orv posted:

lol yeah

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never really cared for first person shooters and my only options to play this back in the day was the SNES or 32X versions which felt wrong to play even back then when I had no concept of how Doom or a first person shooter played (being piss in the wind rentals didn't help). It eventually got sidelined by the time I could play it on a computer since I had a certain understanding of that entire genre and just kind of assumed Doom fit in just the same just on a fundamental level.

Thankfully random Steam sales means that it ended up in my library at some point, and on a whim I played it a few years ago and it finally clicked and I couldn't really stop playing until I had done all the episodes and realized that it was still a fantastic game to run around and shoot poo poo in. It probably helps that I like mazes and confusing levels, too. Dropped off Doom 2 really fast though, and never really cared for 3 or how the new one plays so it still seems fundamentally special.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't play Doom until the 360 arcade version somehow and it was fun enough to play through twice on Ultraviolent so that's a 5/5

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I played it around age 8, on my friend’s computer around 2000. It wasn’t bad, but it was a mediocre shootmans game that I do not plan on revisiting.

Good for the time isn’t the same as good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I picked up Doom and I've got through most of the first mission set so I think I'm ready to drop an opinion. I didn't have a PC when I was young so the closest I ever came to Doom was watching a neighbour play it on the SNES and playing Heretic and Quake a long while back. I wasn't really expecting much from this but it actually surprised me by being... kinda fun? It's the FPS genre distilled down to its purest form without all the extraneous bullshit of physics puzzles or realistic AI or driving sections or whatever. There's a very simple joy in it. It's also really creepy! The sound design and grimy environments and flickery lighting and clunky controls make it hard to know if something's sneaking up on you. Very effective. The main negatives I have are that it's starting to get very samey with too many identical environments and too many identical enemies and also the animation is incredibly stilted. 4/5

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried Doom once and the unmodded controls were basically unusable after a lifetime of use the mouse to turn. I didn't play enough to figure out what its strong points are though so I'm not gonna rate it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orv posted:

I grew up with Mario 64 and not Doom yet I gave Doom a higher score.

In fact, the first time I played doom was the abysmal GBA port which Id still rate higher than Mario 64 push come to shove.

Man Doom is good

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The GBA port of Doom is surprisingly good, honestly.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

At the time of release it would be a 5/5 but shooters have come a long way and we no longer have to suffer through using the keyboard to rotate or getting lost in levels with muddy visuals. Still a very fun game and definitely the most influential in the genre, but like any decades-old game, time has taken its toll

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Orv posted:

Mario 64 and Doom aren't very controversial, most people will agree that they were/are great.

Just wait until the thread gets around to someone's beloved cult classic, or something of a more divisive genre like point-and-click adventures or JRPGs. :supaburn:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

You can't deny that DOOM was an extremely influential game, and I don't think there's a community out there that's this active for a game that's this old. The only thing holding it back is the remnants that tie it to its era, with no mouselook and being pre-WASD making it difficult to approach for modern players.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ceyton posted:

Mario 64 and Doom aren't very controversial, most people will agree that they were/are great.

Just wait until the thread gets around to someone's beloved cult classic, or something of a more divisive genre like point-and-click adventures or JRPGs. :supaburn:

Final Fantasy (7/8/9/X/whichever) will tear this thread apart!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I honestly think youll get a better thermometer read on less acclaimed titles.

Like nobody is gonna ride or die for Kill.switch or Operation: Winback no matter how important they are in terms of mechanics.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Like nobody is gonna ride or die for Kill.switch or Operation: Winback no matter how important they are in terms of mechanics.

I'll throw down over Bionic Commando 09

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill throw down for the part of operation winback where the black guy dies and one of your squadmates immediately goes 'drat! he was one of the good ones...' and this statement is never questioned or acknowledged

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll throw down for Syphon Filter 2 or Shadow Hearts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

ill throw down for the part of operation winback where the black guy dies and one of your squadmates immediately goes 'drat! he was one of the good ones...' and this statement is never questioned or acknowledged

drat why are my memories of Winback boring clunky box shooting and not this???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Barudak posted:

I've already said I'll stan for Pilotwings 64 and I fuckin' meant it :toughguy:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

I've already said I'll stan for Pilotwings 64 and I fuckin' meant it :toughguy:

Now there is a truly good game

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We'll need to compare our scores to metacritic or something as games like Shadow Hearts are definitely goon favourites

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Mario 64: 3. I first played a bit on an import n64 at a store. Was ok. Got the ds version and bored of it quickly. I mean its better than Conker or original Tomb Raider but eh?

Doom: 4. It's good but Doom 2 is more or less first Doom perfected. It played best back then with a Gravis gamepad but modern ports and wasd are also lovely. Most of the Doom engine games are decent though. Strife is the only one I can't really get into though I have tried. Beware the Heretic and Hexens though. They are way harder than either Doom.

Some games I'd like to see covered:

Ultima 7. Bloodborne. Dragon's Lair. Wing Commander. Mechwarrior 2. Fire Emblem.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Final Fantasy (7/8/9/X/whichever) will tear this thread apart!

I pray to god Final Fantasy dares show its face in this thread so I can cut it down in front of everyone

Doom I can't really comment on since I didn't play it anywhere near its actual release date and that's the lens through which you really have to view that game. I really liked the first level of SM64 as a kid but my parents refunded it because it gave them motion sickness and I never went back after playing Banjo2/DK64

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 30, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I will slap anyone across the face like a spoiled debutante if they talk poo poo about Rule of Rose. The game is jank but it's absolutely beautiful jank.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

drat why are my memories of Winback boring clunky box shooting and not this???

did you play the n64 or ps2 version? the ps2 version had a hilariously cheap dub but natch. the n64 couldnt handle full voice acting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Captain Rufus posted:

Ultima 7. Bloodborne. Dragon's Lair. Wing Commander. Mechwarrior 2. Fire Emblem.

I'll see what I can do :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

did you play the n64 or ps2 version? the ps2 version had a hilariously cheap dub but natch. the n64 couldnt handle full voice acting

That it explains it, I played this bad boy on the N64. My friend was convinced, convinced, that it was better than metal gear solid but a) he didnt have a playstation and b) we were idiot children and couldnt get like a third of the way into the game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't believe anybody voting higher than this has ever actually played Doom. Maybe a port or a remake with improved visuals and controls, but the original Doom for ms-dos is unplayable today.

It deserves respect for its influence and latter-day engine remakes with mouse and keyboard support really let the core concepts shine, but Doom the actual game as released is a solid 2.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

RandomFerret posted:

I don't believe anybody voting higher than this has ever actually played Doom. Maybe a port or a remake with improved visuals and controls, but the original Doom for ms-dos is unplayable today.

Like I said, I didn't play the game when it came out, but I also think that the modern process of "playing Doom" is playing the game for like 20 minutes or an hour at the absolute max and saying "yeah that was fun" but I can't imagine sitting down and playing Doom for a whole afternoon in the same way that I play marathon sessions of basically every game I like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont even know what game youre playing to say that about its controls and ability to hold interest. Theres basically no way I fire up doom and dont finish all of Ep1 in a single sitting. The original controls are phenomenal and explicitly designed around what the game Doom is.

I could pontificate on why doom is absolutely top down an incredible design acievement all day so to have someone say "oh people only like it because they use modern control schemes" when those control schemes are basically a sleight of hand tricks that dont do as much as youd think because its how people expect the game to work is crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Rufus posted:

These are all excellent picks, especially WC

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Classic early 90s game Undertale