Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clunky, fumbling first attempt at 3d completely surpassed by its successors but laid the foundation for 3d Camera, movement in a 3d space, and stage design for a console generation and for its genre beyond that.

At least its better than the Mario games that came before it, thats for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Would you give Neal Armstrong a 4 for only walking a few feet on the moon?

I dont praise The Jazz Singer unequivocally, no.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

3/5

Note: This is for the DS version.

64 DS was overall a good game, though I'm more partial to Sunshine and Galaxy. 64 is historically relevant to the medium but I think it has aged due to the nature of gameplay and it how it has more room to improve on itself. I do like being able to play as Wario, Yoshi, and Luigi, the latter being my favorite.

The other characters are a DS addition alongside the hats associated with them, the power flower, the minigames, and 30 more stars if that influences your score

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Probably the only 5 Ill give in this entire thread. Knee Deep in the Dead is the single best set of FPS game maps ever made and it has exactly the right amount of story for a video game. Thats without touching howgoshdarn influential the game is across design, art, and somehow most of all sound. God made the camel so its voice could be in Doom.

Edit: Everyone who got lost in Doom, youre aware there is an automap, right?

It also has the best expansion pack ever made, Doom II

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 27, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The most negative thing I am capable of saying about Doom is that it invented the unskipable in engine cutscene.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orv posted:

The Thread Where Everyone Rates Their Favorite Childhood Games 5.

I grew up with Mario 64 and not Doom yet I gave Doom a higher score.

In fact, the first time I played doom was the abysmal GBA port which Id still rate higher than Mario 64 push come to shove.

Man Doom is good

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I honestly think youll get a better thermometer read on less acclaimed titles.

Like nobody is gonna ride or die for Kill.switch or Operation: Winback no matter how important they are in terms of mechanics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

ill throw down for the part of operation winback where the black guy dies and one of your squadmates immediately goes 'drat! he was one of the good ones...' and this statement is never questioned or acknowledged

drat why are my memories of Winback boring clunky box shooting and not this???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

did you play the n64 or ps2 version? the ps2 version had a hilariously cheap dub but natch. the n64 couldnt handle full voice acting

That it explains it, I played this bad boy on the N64. My friend was convinced, convinced, that it was better than metal gear solid but a) he didnt have a playstation and b) we were idiot children and couldnt get like a third of the way into the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont even know what game youre playing to say that about its controls and ability to hold interest. Theres basically no way I fire up doom and dont finish all of Ep1 in a single sitting. The original controls are phenomenal and explicitly designed around what the game Doom is.

I could pontificate on why doom is absolutely top down an incredible design acievement all day so to have someone say "oh people only like it because they use modern control schemes" when those control schemes are basically a sleight of hand tricks that dont do as much as youd think because its how people expect the game to work is crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3/5

Theres a lot of play in the Sims but not very much game which is why ive never cared for it even if Id recommend it to basically anyone else to play. Somehow despite selling truckloads of copies and having multiple sequels and profitable spinoffs like "Urbz" this is basically a genre of one. Its like the Avatar (David Cameron film) of games where somehow despite being massively popular weve all agreed to just not discuss it or ever rip it off because ???*

*We know why

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats always been the Sims issue; its a great sandbox but there really isnt enough concrete direction, especially in the first game. There are spinoff games in the series that tried to add direction but those all took away most of the sandbox which is nonsensical to the appeal.

That all said its an amazing sandbox so if naming a sim after a roomate you hate and making them have babies with the grim reaper sounds fun, get out the credit card cause the Sims is built for you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey Rarity, can you define if youre asking about a specific Revision of SF2 or all of it as a single "game"? The reason I ask is because of things like you showing Deejay in your images but he only got introduced in the fourth revision of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is undeniably one of the most important games ever released for its genre, other genres, the industry, and pop culture as whole. If this thread was just "how valuable and important is this game" itd be approaching a 6. The problem is this thread is technially how good is the game and in 2019 much less 1994 this game was not very fun to play. Its not SF2's fault, it was just so influential and profitable a million imitators sprang to life and advanced the genre even further and even with 15 revisions you cant change the core gameplay, nor from the perspective of how many people still buy ports of this, should you.

Edit: Best character is Fei Long, the fighting game term Rekka is named after his signature technique and character gimmick. Also hes Bruce Lee

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 8, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not gonna lie, Im kind of laughing at evey one of these "we played this in college" stories because in college my entire social circle loved fighting games so naturally someone was like lets do SF2 and it lasted like maybe 10 minutes before everyone got bored and was never played again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh look its another game that originated an entire genre and got surpassed in quality by both its own direct heirs and some of the 400 hojillion games that iterated on its mechanics. The active reload mechanic is something more games should have stolen, but thats balanced out by having honest to god insta fail stealth scenes in an action game where you have chainsaws for bayonets.

And yes, Im fully aware this game mechanically is a synthesis of some Resident Evil 4* mechanics and completely ripping off the entirety of Kill.Switch but the reason were talking about this game and it kicked off a revolution is it plays extremely differently than Resi 4 (except the one room, first island, I can point it out if you need to but its basically Gears of War the tech demo) and is actually a fun game that sold well unlike Kill.switch

*5 out of 5 dont care that you didnt ask

Edit: Oh haha right they were still hiding loading behind unskippable cutscenes in this one. Loss of another point.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 15, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna say Im wholly unsurprised goons as a whole do not care for this game at all.

Its such a weird game because it was absolutely revelatory to play but simultaneously absolutely terrible. Like the gaming equivalent of the great train robbery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Mediocre garbage that also sent FPS games careening in an awful duration for years.

I'm not disagreeing the score, I just cant remember too many FPS games that got influenced by Gears of War except for Rainbow 6. What else was there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

The Resistence franchise was a hell of a lot like Gears for one

Resistance Fall of Man came out one week after Gears of War 1, but I didnt play the sequels cause the first game was not good so I dont know if they stole stuff from Gears.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It feels like the last few weeks have been "pick the originator of a genre that got left in the dust by all its progeny" except in this case GTA's own line is a bunch of failsons.

GTA 3 was absolutely ground breaking when it came out and a staggering number of games owe their existence to it. Bad gunplay, awful mission design, atrocious map progression, terrible to the point of disabling some vehicles controls, lack of side content, and purposefully tedious gameplay mechanics all got overlooked because it was the first of its kind and cheat codes still existed so you could sort of make the game fun.

For the record, I wanted to give this a 1, but that seems unfair in a world where GTA IV exists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I've been taking this thread as "If asked today, compared to everything else on the market, how good is this game". Some games are really, really good that I'd still recommend them to people today and some frankly aren't. If anything, genre setting expectation shattering games are more likely to fall into the latter camp because there will have been for the most part 500 games trying to cash in, refine, or expand on the concept until the original just isn't going to be a first choice to recommend to people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2/5

A time capsule to a time when games had to be focused score attack experiences because consoles lacked thr hardware for bigger things. Thats not a bad thing on its own but THPS never felt super satisfying for me to play as a kid as far as score attack goes given most levels have a "perfect route". Its own series of game line had a few games better than this one and some interesting evolutions of the formula as console power changed but ultimately died because this became a bit niche genre.

Has a version for Korea with Korean pop-stars as skaters and tags for their band everywhere.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 15, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

I don't know that it's right to call the Tony Hawk series niche. If anything, they probably attracted a more mainstream audience in the way other sports games do.

I think it absolutely did, once. Now the specific score attack sports game which had dozens of titles is limited to indie games. At this point the genre is even more niche than point and click adventure games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3/5

Super influential game obviously, because it made WW2 battles feel epic by introducing enemy spawners to FPS games. When the mechanic works right it makes battles feel epic, hard fought, and then a wave of relief as the place where enemies poured from becomes safe. Its utterly miserable when that doesnt work or the spawn wave wrecks you or you get a clownshow hallway of corpses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3/5

I dont like Ocarina of Time very much, not when it was new and not in hindsight. Text boxes lurch slowly along, the overworld is dull and lifeless and felt like padding even to kid me, the combat is this awful half step of more engaged than Link to the Past but not actually more interesting, navi is a piece of work whose code offends me, the iron boots exist, the thing runs at like 6 frames a second, the N64 makes everything look ugly as hell, minigames are bad bad times, and oh my god the text is so slow despite such a nothing story. It does have lots of dungeons with good layouts outside of Jabbu Jabbu which makes it basically the best 3d Zelda by default.

Ive had to give it a 3 because its better than BotW which is better than Majoras Mask so theres nowhere else I can score it without assigning 0 scores to games that ostensibly function.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I should, I guess, give Ocarina credit for creating the defining humanoid gannon look but on the otherhand that owl. gently caress that owl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best unit barks in an RTS ever.

Couldn't get it to ever run properly on my computer so I can not score it.