Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, this was really good! I watched it all today and worked much less than I was hoping to. I've read the book 3 or 4 times, but haven't touched it in probably ten years, and this made it all come flooding back. Crowley and Aziraphale are spot on. I just wish we could have had more episodes -- this could have filled a ten episode season easily, and I wish they would have spent more time on the kids and Adam's Happy Suburban Life so that it was more meaningful when Adam turned away from ruling the world (probably the only negative comment I have about this series). I basically just wanted to spend more time in general watching this whimsical little world they've made, though. More bits of the main characters hanging out, influencing things throughout history.

One question: Why did Hastur burn up when Crowley drove through the burning expressway? Crowley's imagination was keeping him from burning? But then I thought the ending shows us that demons are impervious to fire? I don't remember how he got out of that one in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I normally don't like excess narration, but with this I feel it works here because the book is filled with stuff that is basically mentioned by the narrator to nobody in particular, and I think I'd miss most of that if it wasn't thrown in.

God help me, I agree with Bibs on this one. I thought the storybook narrator (did you guys realize this was supposed to be God's voice? Not sure how I feel about that, only noticed it now that I'm doing a rewatch) was a pretty good compromise for getting some of the more tonguetwisting bits of Pratchett's wordplay onto the screen without making the actors shoe it in somehow.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I think I would have liked to see more original material written directly for the show. I'm not sure whether or not I liked all the Pratchetty wordplay because it was good for the screen or because I have so many wonderful memories of that book. I don't think I would have traded any of it away, though, I really think they could have done with another few episodes just to flesh out the world, spend more time in Adam's perfect little childhood, seeing Crowley and Aziraphale having adventures through time and brushing up against historical figures.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Mameluke posted:

What kind of impression is Shadwell supposed to leave on us? I couldn't decide if he was supposed to be likable or not, with him constantly berating the prostitute/fortuneteller and scamming Crowley (though he is obviously penniless)

He's not supposed to be likable, exactly. Remember, we were introduced to him as the possibly-homeless crazy person on the streets of London ranting about the end of the world. I always got the sense of him as that sort of half-senile disheveled old man, with a crazy passion for hunting witches that was at least partially based in reality.

I just realized they left out one of my favorite parts about Agnes Nutter, they didn't go much into how she didn't really understand what she was seeing or what was important. There were a couple good bits there, apparently her prediction for November 22nd, 1963 was for a house collapsing in London. She didn't know anything about America and it was a long way off, so Kennedy's assassination wasn't worth predicting, but she might have had descendants in London who could have been hit with a falling brick.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This is where I’ve come down. I actually fell asleep during an episode and didn’t rewatch it. It’s good and I’ll watch it again because every performance was great and it’s not a huge investment. Not quite up to par with the good place or even lucifer in terms of cosmic comedies but drat good nonetheless

Is Lucifer any good? I am in the mood for something along the same lines as Good Omens. But more episodes.