Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That should be it. are you moving the forge into a more accessible position first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
You can rest for a bit at the campfire before leaving timber hearth if the waiting is the annoying part too

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Man with Hat posted:

You can rest for a bit at the campfire before leaving timber hearth if the waiting is the annoying part too

Brilliant, that could be just what I need. Thanks all

Edit: also no, Mike, I was not haha

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone make Mario Galaxy crossed with Outer Wilds. Give him F.L.U.D.D. Mk 2, now with six-axis thrust.

I wanna jump that lad into a tiny full orbit.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Outer Wilds but with Kerbal physics, for the true enthusiast

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Wilds already has Kerbal physics thanks to its use of spherical gravity fields. It’s just that compared to Kerbal your spaceship has extremely high thrust and infinite fuel so you can ignore this and maneuver like you’re in zero gravity for the most part. You only have to consider orbital dynamics in extreme situations like trying to dock with the sun station

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall correctly Outer Wilds does cheat a bit by making gravity fall off linearly instead of exponentially to make the scales easier to deal with as a player.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MikeJF posted:

If I recall correctly Outer Wilds does cheat a bit by making gravity fall off linearly instead of exponentially to make the scales easier to deal with as a player.
the sun is the sole object with exponential gravity, yeah

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anybody else come in from watching the eclipse, log into Outer Wilds, and just immediately fly into the sun?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poque posted:

Anybody else come in from watching the eclipse, log into Outer Wilds, and just immediately fly into the sun?

All humans share a deep, primal urge to fling themselves into the sun

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eclipse viewing experience like landing on the Sun Station but with my retinas.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

got eaten by an anglerfish for the first time :toot:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

do i have to sneak past the fishes at the red portal by moving really slow or something because i dont want to do that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

cuntman.net posted:

do i have to sneak past the fishes at the red portal by moving really slow or something because i dont want to do that

Unfortunately, yeah. If you have a gamepad, you can use the analog stick to thrust forward just enough to not light up the thrust meter beyond the first light. That way they can't hear you.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:arghfist::saddowns:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this place sucks

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately, yeah. If you have a gamepad, you can use the analog stick to thrust forward just enough to not light up the thrust meter beyond the first light. That way they can't hear you.

you enter the area with enough velocity to bypass them - the foolproof method is to not touch the controls at all until you’re near the portal

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
If you don't have a very specific plan for exploring Dark Bramble, I'd suggest coming back to it later. Every annoying thing in the game is a knowledge check in disguise.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

This advice is wrong and makes it much harder. Simply don't touch the controls at all

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, they hear thrust, not movement. You can shoot past them pretty quick as long as you drift when you’re near the anglers

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Arrhythmia posted:

This advice is wrong and makes it much harder. Simply don't touch the controls at all

No, it's right. I've done exactly that. It's not necessary and it certainly makes it harder, but it is a valid approach.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My friend had issues with the anglers and if you really can't deal with them there is a mod that changes their behaviour even to run away from you when approached

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arrhythmia posted:

If you want to just sit there for a long time to get past. Going through the last portal thing kills all your speed and you have to just sit there for a while to get past them. Or you can thrust a tiny bit and get away.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

made it to the vessel, floated around a bit and got confused by the hexagon thing. realized a few loops later that it looks a lot like the coordinates that i found several hours earlier so i went back through the fishes a second time to try them out :suicide:

it didnt do anything which i assume is because the warp core is broken so im going to look for a replacement warp core before i head there a third time :suicide::suicide:

also since when do fish inhale and exhale :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The thing you have to remember about the anglerfish is ughhhh gently caress those things oh goddammit gently caress I hate you anglerfish :gonk:

I dug the ending where the Eye tells you,"The angerfish, of all the things I will miss, I will miss them the least."

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The anglers require literally zero skill or finesse, all you have to do is juice it when you're going through the portal and then take your hands off the controls. You can even freely rotate, it's only the other 3 DOFs that alert them.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Or float past a bit and use the ejection button when your mostly at the midway point between the two. they will attack the ship but you'll be pushed out with a good bit of momentum as the air escapes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

The anglers require literally zero skill or finesse, all you have to do is juice it when you're going through the portal and then take your hands off the controls. You can even freely rotate, it's only the other 3 DOFs that alert them.

It doesn't matter how fast you go through the portal. You come out at fixed velocity.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

It doesn't matter how fast you go through the portal. You come out at fixed velocity.

It has a low ceiling in terms of how fast your ship can go, but it's easy to undershoot it if you're just creeping around and trying to explore

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think i got most of the puzzle pieces except for the really big one in the middle. still have no idea how to get in there, it'll probably occur to me in the shower or something. might be a good time to ditch everything and get the dlc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't recommend doing the DLC until you've played the original through, to be honest.

Minor breadcrumb hint, if you want it: maybe go read stuff in the black hole forge again

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

made it to the end. the autopilot tried to screw me over one more time by crashing me into the ember twin while i was trying to get to dark bramble, i forgot to turn off autopilot before getting out of the ship to fix it so it slid around a bit before getting stuck on a cliff so i could get back in

as much as i complain about having to go to the vessel 3 times, it was nice having some practice before the permadeath run. not that permadeath would matter but its the spirit of the thing

i broke spacetime once i got there, im not really sure how that happened but it bumped me back to the vessel after i reloaded and it went fine after that

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 29, 2024

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

i broke spacetime once i got there, im not really sure how that happened but it bumped me back to the vessel after i reloaded and it went fine after that

you went inside the ash twin core portal right as the sun novad?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

oh i did that in the loop before the last one, was wondering why nothing seemed to be happening at the time

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

cuntman.net posted:

oh i did that in the loop before the last one, was wondering why nothing seemed to be happening at the time

You must have revisited it after doing that to finish the game, did you, uh, not notice the absolutely massive change inside?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i was kinda rushing through it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

cuntman.net posted:

i was kinda rushing through it

You may want to jump through the ATP black hole again, and then go revisit that area and look around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

that felt like a good epilogue to the whole thing

:gonk:: AAAAAAAAAAAA
:gonk:: AAAAAAAAAAAAA

going to wait a bit before getting the dlc. it seems some people have issues with it and it sounds like theyd be the kind of things that annoy me too but im going to play it anyway because i have to learn more