Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"So, what, we just finish whatever this drat adventure is and that's it? We go home, we're all back to normal and just...go on with our lives? How do we know you're not lying? You've got a bit of a credibility gap right now, Will."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Evil Mastermind posted:

"So, what, we just finish whatever this drat adventure is and that's it? We go home, we're all back to normal and just...go on with our lives? How do we know you're not lying? You've got a bit of a credibility gap right now, Will."

"If you want to go home, you can go home. If you want to stay, you can stay. After the quest. But, just....keep an open mind."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sofia holds the bridge of her nose, trying not to do anything rash. Deep breath. Deep breath. Try not to think about how he's ruining her life more effectively than any of the good ol' boys at the paper. Forcing herself to meet Will's eyes, she grates out, "You almost got us killed. For a game? gently caress you, Will. What if I don't want play your game? The world stays frozen, right? Good luck with that."

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Tricky posted:

"You almost got us killed. For a game? gently caress you, Will. What if I don't want play your game? The world stays frozen, right? Good luck with that."

"No, they only stay frozen until we're done here..one way or another," Will says testily. "And, I don't think you guys get it. Unless I want you to go home, you don't go home."

He smirks at that. "And I want to finish the game first."

He is hiding something. the swords murmur to Sofia. There are... inconsistencies in what he is saying. Or not saying. Tread carefully.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

"It's not a game, Will. It's a war. We'd be watching people die horribly. We could die. What part of that sounds fun? Are you in shock or something?"

Win takes a few steps closer to Will, studying him skeptically.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

"It's not a game, Will. It's a war. We'd be watching people die horribly. We could die. What part of that sounds fun? Are you in shock or something?"

"No I'm not in shock," Will sounds desperate. He gestures towards the frozen queen "Guys, they aren't real. Who..who cares if they die. And..I mean yeah it might be dangerous for us but... gently caress... think think about your life out there. Isn't it more exciting here?"

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

“How do you know they aren’t real? Your fantasy world doesn’t exist. You can’t just dream a world into being. We have no loving idea where we are or what the point of this place is.”

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"More exci...Will, my loving stomach was slashed open! I could have died if I didn't get a potion off a guy who..." He trails off uncomfortably, then continues "I just saw myself get hanged! Nothing good has happened to me since I got here!"

Tony pauses, staring at Will. "But you're right, aren't you? We can't leave until you want to leave."

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 3, 2019

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

“How do you know they aren’t real? Your fantasy world doesn’t exist. You can’t just dream a world into being. We have no loving idea where we are or what the point of this place is.”

"The point is to have fun. The point is to finally loving be somebody," Will pauses and takes a breath. "Guys, think about your old life. Think about how unfulfilling it was. Think about your dead end job, your dead end life, your lovely friends, lovely family. Just put aside the danger here, just forget that for a second. "

Will looks at them each imploringly. "We don't have to go back to that. Back to not mattering, back to... nothing. We can stay here, for awhile at least. Be heroes. Matter. And yeah," he nods towards Tony. "It might be dangerous but... I'll be perfectly honest, I'd rather die doing something, than go back home and live in that...nothing."

"Him dying sooner than later might be a good thing" Jack murmurs to Riot. "It would certainly shorten our little story, but you're going to have a much happier ending."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It takes a bit to process. Sofia can't help but feel her initial suspicions deepen. Maybe the obvious play is the right one. Who's to say that Will will actually hold up his end of the deal? He hasn't given a single poo poo about them since the jump. First, they do one quest. Then another. Then maybe someone dies! Maybe Tony dies! Jesus. It's never going to end, is it?

Sofia shakes her head, taking a step forward, and says, "I don't think so, Will. You might have a death wish or whatever, but..." She sighs. "Yeah, work sucks. I hate the grind. This place isn't that bad when it's taking a break from trying to kill us, but uh. That's the problem. It's trying to kill us. Between that and another year at the paper, I know where I'm leaning."

She looks to the left, then to the right, meeting Tony and Win's eyes. If they do this... it has to be all of them, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Yeah, I'm sorry but this place has been hell for me. I don't want to stay, Will. I may not have a lot back home but there's nothing for me here. I just...I just want to go home and be me again."

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

"Look on the bright side, Will. You found Narnia. Plenty of people want to go to Narnia. You don't have to hold hostages, you could sell tickets to come here. I mean you should try to figure out why it likes mindfucking people first, but it's Narnia, it's worth the trouble."

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

"Look on the bright side, Will. You found Narnia. Plenty of people want to go to Narnia. You don't have to hold hostages, you could sell tickets to come here. I mean you should try to figure out why it likes mindfucking people first, but it's Narnia, it's worth the trouble."

Sofia posted:

"I don't think so, Will. You might have a death wish or whatever, but...Yeah, work sucks. I hate the grind. This place isn't that bad when it's taking a break from trying to kill us, but uh. That's the problem. It's trying to kill us. Between that and another year at the paper, I know where I'm leaning."

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Yeah, I'm sorry but this place has been hell for me. I don't want to stay, Will. I may not have a lot back home but there's nothing for me here. I just...I just want to go home and be me again."

Will is quiet for a long time. He makes a few half hearted, "Guys..." "..You can't just..." "...I don't..." before lapsing back into silence. He looks at each of the three again, and takes a big breath. He opens his mouth, his face crestfallen, and then pauses.

"No..." he says softly. "No, no...I can't go back. I won't go back. This...this can be real, this is real."

He taps the bottom of his staff on the marble floor with a solid thunk. "My queen!"

At that the NPCs jerk into motion, looking slightly confused, but they all turn to Will, who is speaking in a deeper baritone than his real voice, "We have been deceived your mageisty. These are not allies, they are enemy agents, and worse.." he smiles slightly.

"...P̥̬͞r͔̪͎͚͜e̹̮̲l͍͈̭ͅa̦̗̫͙͘ḍ̞͎̩̣a̤n̰̟̰̠ ̞͇͍i̢̩s̫͓̹̪ ͖̻͕̭͇͈̹͝a̜͈t̠̝t̼̩̣͚̳̕ͅa͉͙͎͙͕̫͉͝c͠k̨̭͖̯̖in̜͈̳̰̭̳͘g ͇̖͚̮̰̮͡ņ̙̹͕̹̤͎͙o̳̙̦̺͖̹͔͝w.̞"

Explosions sound from outside the room and screams echo through the windows.

Roll for Initiative

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia's eyes narrow, her swords all but leaping into her hands. The shadowy aura surrounding them seems to sap the very light itself from the throne room. She growls, "Will, you sick son of a bitch, don't you realize how insane you're being? Wherever this is, however you got us here, these are real people. I don't want to stay, but I'm not about to stand by and let your games kill a goddamn city."

Sofia gestures out towards the city, "You want us to take down an army? Fine. Fine! I'll do it right here and now. Get ready to take us home, rear end in a top hat."

Keeping blades leveled his way the whole time, moving them only to ward off Eddie and Ruby should they try to block her path, Sofia makes her way to the nearest window and smashes it with the pommel of one of her blades. Looking back at the queen, her mom, Sofia's face softens a touch. She says, "I wish we had some time to chat, finally get to know each other... but at the end of the day, you're not her, are you? You're a queen in a hosed up fantasy land who just has the same face. Sorry about the window."

With that, she jumps into the bedlam below. Insanity for a normal person, perhaps, but Sofia is hopped up on pure Vigilance. Every single wire that she could use to break a fall or zipline to a roof all but screams for her to use. It'll suck, but not as much as life's about to suck for that army that Will summoned.

Being quite naturally at Vigilance 3 after Will's... everything, Sofia is going to ollie out a window and spend it all to perform some Creative Violence on Preladan's army. Luckily, got a 7 on the d8 so she does not take any wounds in the actual doing.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 6, 2019

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"Khovai, what.." The queen starts.

"Fear not, m'lady!" Will roars. "She is the least of our worries."

His third eye flashes to life, strobing with a headache-inducing light. The weapons of Ruby Starfist, Watcher Eddward, and Lady Lisbeth glow briefly.

"Defend the queen!" Will yells, scampering backwards to put the NPCs between him and the players.

"Riot," Ruby grumbles, stepping forward and unsheathing what looks like a giant cleaver, "Drop your weapons, and get on your knees now."

Kheenai is a disaster zone. The giant floating stone fortress of Preladan hovers above the city like a vulture. Sofia sees arcanic blasts of magic firing down from it into the city and wizards scampering around it. Falling from the rock are what appear to be large stone men, looking like The Thing from Fantastic Four. They pummel into the town, tearing through the spires of the city indiscriminately. In the distance, Sofia can see what looks like a large swell of water racing towards Kheenai, something massive is underwater and homing in on the city.

Will has Blessed the NPCs. Ruby is readying an attack action the second someone appears to make a move.

Sofia can describe how she "defeats" the army.

Sofia
Will
Ruby

Tony
Eddie
Win
Liz
Olia

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"WAIT! Whoa whoa whoa!"

Octavia lifts her hands so they're clearly visible and tries not to look terrified (and hopes her mood-hair doesn't give her away). "Everyone calm down! We're not part of this! Yes, I'm from Predalin but I came here looking to defect!"

She tries not to look at Will as she goes on; while Tony had been thinking of how to explain being a neon-punk wizard should it come up, he was also inventing wildly. God, I hope this place does make our backstories real because if this doesn't work I'm dead.

"Look, yeah I'm a spellsinger but the government was pissed that I was speaking out against the Archmage getting all expansionist. He didn't like that I was a celebrity getting people riled up against them! His council wanted my help to get the citizens in line with my music, but I wouldn't play along."

"That's why I'm here with Wi...with Riot and Hawkins. I'm not here to fight, and I'm not part of the invasion, I swear!"

Rolling Charisma, not using the Voice: Good: ( 5, 2, 3, 3 ) 1 Success.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"Quiet," Edward says, his rapier singing as his draws it and advances on Tony. "Silence would probably be your best bet."

"He could be telling the truth," Ruby offers. "Lisbeth also defected."

"I am skeptical that two spellsingers would defect so close together," Edward remarked. "We'll get to the root of this, after these two are subdued and safely inside the cells."

Sofia
Will
Ruby
Tony
Eddie

Win
Liz
Olia

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Riot looks at the clear line of fire to Will. Feels the weight of her hammer resting easy in one hand. It would make things so simple. Or if she was going to try to keep her hands clean she could go for the knockout gas special. But no blood had been shed, yet.

Riot raises a hand as a visor against the glare and stares out the window as Sofia goes to work against the Kheenai army. "drat. Are you sure she's on their side? Did they forget to tell her?"

The weapon drops with a loud thunk, settling shaft-up. Riot takes a step away from it and slowly raises her hands above her head.

"You haven't grown up at all, Will. You're still just a sad kid who'd rather hide behind a fantasy than deal with real people. And you'd kill all of us for another day as Khovai. Well gently caress that and gently caress you. He's gone. I'm taking him. From now on they'll see you for who you really are."

Ring me up, Jack. Make it a doozy.

Trickster - Lasting Glamour Khovai into Teen Will: 4d6t4+1d12t4 3

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Finally, Jack growls.

Win feels a sense of hunger has Jack manifests himself to her, but no one else. Currently Jack is a thing of shadows, loping along with smoke-tendril antlers. To Win, Jack appears to dive into Will, making the young mage drop to the floor in pain.

Lisbeth and Edward cast worried glances from Will to the players.

"Riot, what the hell are you doing?" Ruby hisses, gripping her weapon.

"You bitch!" Will screams. Everyone sees him as he picks himself up off the floor. He is teen Will, scrawnier, shorter, softer, hair flat, and goatee sparse. "What did you do?!"

"She's a Godbinder," Edward grumbles. "Divine puppeteer." He settles into a dueling stance and points his blade towards Riot."

"Lisbeth, stop them." Olia orders.

Lisbeth looks to Riot and speaks, her Voice has an echoing timbre, like she is shouting from a deep well.

"𝕮𝖆𝖑𝖒 𝕯𝖔𝖜𝖓."

And Win feels Calm, Serene. Perhaps more than she has ever felt, the idea of doing harm, doing anything really, is remote and nearly impossible.

Olia looks at the warriors splayed out around her.

"What the hell is going on here?"

Lisbeth uses her Voice to make Riot feel Serenity. It's at a 3. Riot can still fight and be in combat, but she will be getting two Disadvantages until the emotion is removed.

Top of the round

Sofia
Will
Ruby
Tony
Eddie
Win
Liz
Olia

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Now, one might assume from the confident méin Sofia had as she plummeted out the window that she had a plan of attack. Nothing could be further from the case. She knows that she can take down the army and, indeed, will. The points from A to B, though... that gets a little fuzzy. Quietly, particularly contrasted with the explosions of magic and sounds of smashing steel and masonry, Sofia settles into a dark alley to contemplate her approach.

The way she sees it, the army has three main threats:
  • The golem footsoldiers. Too many to take down one-on-one, at least in a reasonable timeframe.
  • The floating citadel and the attendant battalion of wizards raining hellfire on the city. Ditto the above, not to mention being out of reach.
  • The mysterious underwater monster. Probably a godzilla.
Now, that all established, it seems like one of those threats might well solve another. Not much is going to survive a floating fortress crashing on top of them, not even in a crazy fantasy world. The golems are out, being in the city she's trying to save, so Sofia figures that she'll have to take down the citadel somehow and aim it at the water. Putting a pin on that for a moment... well, she probably needs to get up there to do it. That's an adventure in and of itself... unless. Kheenai is a city of steam and technology and steam rises. Hawkins, as it happens, is light.

The lightbulb flickers on and Sofia springs into action. She's an unstoppable dervish as she carves a path through the streets of the city. The golems are strong, no doubt, but their rock-hard bodies are no match for the might of the fully-charged blades. That isn't to say that she's cutting them all down, not by a longshot, but she's putting a dent in the onslaught. Her target is one of the steam installations that power the lights and buildings of the city. The last thing she remembers is scampering into the depths of the installation and...

...Next thing she knows, she's hurtling skyward on a jet of steam. Her cape is billowed up like a parachute, catching enough in the way of thermals to send her rocketing straight towards the fortress. Scything bolts of magic cleave through the air, but she's just too fast for the wizards to draw a bead on. Some sort of instinct, maybe a half-remembered adventure that Will put them through, tells her that the crystalline matrices powering the fortress's flight will be firmly in the middle of everything. Tucking and rolling as she loses lift and glides into the midst of the wizard horde, she fades out again...

...To find herself face-to-face with a giant crystal. Her swords are already buried in it, sapping away the strange arcane energy that flickers across the immense construct, while panicked wizards yell something about killing them all at her. That does bring a twinge of guilt, given the givens, since this whole thing was orchestrated by Will. Sofia waves them away, already starting to feel exhausted, as she says, "Nah, get out of here. I'm just going to crash this thing... unless you really want to stick around and try me." They don't. The fortress begins to tip from the sky, an image on the rapidly-dimming crystal showing the immense wake approaching the harbor...

...And then Sofia finds herself on land, albeit soaking wet. The fortress seems to have punched a hole in something big, given the way the water has turned a remarkable shade of luminescent blue-green, and the city is quiet. Crashing the fortress must have taken the fight out of all the wizards and, given the lack of rampaging golems, must have tripped whatever safeguards they had in place. She sprawls on the dockside, legs too wobbly to even stand up, and looks up at the throne room towering above the city. It'd really suck if Tony and Win were in trouble, but... well, she did save most of Kheenai. That has to count for something.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 9, 2019

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"You bitch," Will hisses again. "Win, why are you doing this? I made this, I did this all for you loving assholes. I tried to give you a life that you actually wanted."

Will, pimpily teenaged Will, waves a hand and Winona's father appears. Not Jaymes, her father in her father's close. "I brought him back. And not just him Win, I tried to bring everyone's family in here. Your mom and your grandparents. I don't know where they are, I know that's lovely, I know. But..I am trying to help you all.

Win's father, still visible, seems to look at his daughter and give her a lopsided grin.

"Starfist, bind the spellsinger first," Oila orders. "We do not have time for this squabble when my kingdom is under attack."

Ruby cautiously approaches Octativa and readies a short length of cord.

"Sorry about this." she mutters. "You know Riot so..I suppose you're okay over all."

As Ruby moves to bind Octavia's wrists together what sounds and feels like a bomb goes off. The palace shudders and rocks to its foundation. There is a shriek louder than any one in the room thought possible, and then...mercifully, there is silence.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Will creates an illusion of Win's father.

Ruby is holding Tony's wrists, but she rolled 1 success on the roll, so the binding is pretty crappy.

Sofia
Will
Ruby

Tony
Eddie
Win
Liz
Olia

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Octavia looks around in fear as the palace shakes, then down at the rope around her wrists. She looks at the disoriented teen Will, and realizes what she has to do.

poo poo. This is a really bad idea.

"Ruby, I'm sorry, but I have to do this, please don't stab me right away..."

She takes a deep breath, turns to Will, and with a sudden dramatic musical sting out of nowhere, her highlights turn green. "".

--
Using the Voice to inflict "subservience" onto Will to get him to spill the beans. Good: ( 3, 4, 5, 4 ) Dictator: ( 1 ) 1 Success. Can be modified by 3. Turning this into four levels of emotion.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Double post

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 9, 2019

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"Stop it!" Edward demands. He raises his blade, seeming to want to run Tony through. Then, pauses slightly and adjusts his grip, instead cracking Octavia across the jaw.

"You've not done anything to warrant, lady, but you'll have to deal with me if you try that again. " His sword glimmers slightly.

"I...tricked them." Will says through gritted teeth.

All the NPCs turn to the fallen Master, questioning in their eyes. Will stares at Tony.

"I tricked them, but I did it to give them a better life. They didn't know they would be here. Th--they aren't from Preladan. They are innocent." He pauses. "gently caress you Tony."

Edward looks back at Tony, red in his cheeks, his sword tip wavers.

Edward attacks Tony with a role of 2. He's trying to hit you hard enough that talking at least hurts.

Edward also uses his Greater Ability of Duel.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Winona gives the illusion of her father a bittersweet smile. Reluctantly she looks past the simulacrum to Olia.

"We're not going to hurt anyone. We just want to go home."

-
CHA: Defuse: 2d6t4 2

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Olia straightens up and seems to come to a decision.

"Lisbeth, keep Khovai in line."

Liz nods and her arm flares up in white-hot light. She sidles next to Will and holds it close to him.

Olia looks curiously at Riot, "You understand this is all very troubling. Help me save my city and I will do all I can to get you home."

Top of the round

Sofia
Will
Ruby
Tony
Eddie
Win
Liz
Olia

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"No..you can't be serious.." Will pleads to Olia. "They don't want to play the game. I mean..c'mon. They've just dicked around this entire time."

Olia arches an eyebrow at Will, "I don't understand anything you are saying. This is no game young man."

"That's all this is! Will roars. "And I'm in charge here! The story won't end with a conversation, or..whatever the hell Sofia did. No, it'll end with a fight scene."

He closes his eyes and takes a breath. Lisbeth tenses and starts to move, but she is too slow.

"̞͖͢P̢͔͇͖ͅC̳̤̤̱̫͜s̩͙̳̝͜ ą̭̜͚̟g̮̮͚͜g̡̖̞͚̭r͖̙͜o̘̟̣̪͢ Ņ̳̬͇̫͚P̪͓͢Ç͕̩͎͍ş̙͔̝̤ͅ.̢̠̥͖̬"̨̗̭͎

The effect is immediate as Ruby grabs Tony and throws him as hard as she can into the marble wall.

"Oh poo poo!" she yells. "Sorry!" she limbers up her cleaver as she tries to choose between the three player characters in the room. "I just gotta...y'know....kill you."

Will uses a token to change the rules. All the NPCs in the room will attack all PCs until...stopped.

Ruby attacks Tony - Good: ( 4, 6, 2 ) Bad: ( 1 ) 2 Success. 1 Special. But her special doesn't apply because she wasn't using her sword.

Sofia
Will
Ruby

Tony
Eddie
Win
Liz
Olia

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The blow from Eddie hurt enough on its own, but the feeling of betrayal at being hit like that from his best friend was almost as bad.

The ringing in his head cleared just in time for Tony to hear Will's command and to be flung bodily into the wall. He was fairly sure he heard something crack and hoped to God it wasn't him.

Octavia pulls herself unsteadily to her feet and draws her rapier. "Don't...don't listen to him! He's c-controlling you," she manages to gasp as she gets into a defensive stance.

--
Rolling Dex to regain defense: Good: ( 2, 5, 2 ). I'm at 1 Guard 3 Health

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Don't...don't listen to him! He's c-controlling you,"

"Yes. He is," Eddie says. "It's very unfortunate, but I think we're pretty much bound here. However..."

Eddie wheels to Will. "He is still a viable target."

His sword flicks out and stabs at Will, it glances off the metal pauldron on his robe, but it stuns him."

Eddie attacks will and gets Good: ( 1, 5, 6 ) 2 Success. 1 Special.

He knocks down 2 of Will's Guard and activates Duel.

Riot's turn

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Riot takes a few clumsy steps back as the violence kicks off, disturbing her pleasant reverie.

At first she just stands there staring, small muscles twitching as the sensation of anger struggles to find purchase on her features. She licks her lips. Eventually she musters enough will to try to make the problem go away.

Riot flings a hand forward. "Stop!" There's no magic in the word. If anything she sounds meek and tired. But then the violet light floods out of her die and into the room like a fire hose into a teacup. Out a window night can be seen turning into day into night into day into night into-.

Around her others wilt and crumple to the ground without even the energy to yawn, falling into the deep sleep of the truly exhausted.

Riot lowers the arm lazily and surveys the room to see if any others still stand. Maybe if she got them all she can just wait for Sofia to fix things. That sounds nice. The smile creeps back across her face unbidden.

Riot casts Sleep with 3 successes. Everyone in the room with 3 or less Wisdom falls asleep. They can be awoken.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Octavia looks confused as the light spreads through the room. "Win, what di...d y...o...u......d.......o..."

And she slides down the wall into a sitting position, slumps forward, and begins to snore.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
No one collapses, nothing that dramatic. But one-by-one, the NPCs slowly sit, lie, or lean, and fall into a deep sleep. Ruby, Eddie, Liz, Olia, along with Tony.

Will's eyes droop, but with focus he shakes off the sleep. He looks around the room and grins, he seems to be on the edge of total victory.

Of course, Sofia acts first.

New round, Will is awake and it's Sofia's turn.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It's been a helluva last few minutes (hours?) as Sofia laboriously makes her way back to the throne room. Every single muscle, including at least a dozen she's pretty sure are completely fictional, are absolutely screaming for her to stop, grab an ice pack, and maybe a few dozen Tylenol. It's tempting, real tempting, but she can't very well let Will do whatever the gently caress he has planned. That guy's straight-up lost it. She crests the last flight of stairs, slumping against the entryway to the throne room proper, and takes a second to examine the scene.

For one, it looks like Sofia missed the nap memo... though Will's rictus grin gives her no little doubt it was some sort of cheat or mindcontrol thing and not the sweet, sweet night of rest she craved so much. For two, there's enough chaos and... blood, maybe? Well, whatever the case, it's clear that there's been some shenanigans afoot while she was busy saving the city. She meets Win's eyes, gives her a tired nod, and then says, "Looks like things got out of hand while I was gone, huh? Well, Will, I saved the loving city. I beat the army, probably killed the kraken, crashed the loving fortress... let's go home."

If he doesn't go for it, the stabbening will commence.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"What, we just go home and pretend none of this happened?" Will rasps. "We go on our merry way. Back to our hosed up lives? Alone. Just loving kill me Sofia. It's probably best for everyone."

We are out of combat. For now.

Actual rolls would be needed to convince Will to abandon Die.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Riot takes a knee next to Tony and gives him a gentle shake. "Hey. Sleepyhead. You should probably get up."

She gives another nudge.

"Or stay if you're tired." She abandons the effort. Dreamily she walks around the showdown, looking for somewhere more comfortable to lounge.

Riot's still experiencing Serenity at a 3 until Liz turns off the effect or picks a new target.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Octavia wakes up with an undignified snort, and looks around blearily. Her eyes go wide as she takes in the scene, especially Sophia looking like she's ready to attack Will. She tries to stand up, but the pain from being slammed into the wall brings her up short and causes her to slump back onto the floor.

"WHOA WHOA WHOA! Hold on! Everybody ugh ow gently caress everybody calm down! Will, undo whatever you did to these people! Sophia, put the drat swords down! We can't just...kill each other!"

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"Sorry Tony," Will shakes his head. His teenage self looks miserable."I don't think I can do that. They are now going to attack us. At least until I die."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia rolls her eyes and sighs, "Okay, good, great. Now they want to kill us." The swords dip down towards the floor, though she doesn't put them away. "And you still want to stay? What the gently caress, Will? I mean... I'm not going to say that home is perfect, but there's a helluva lot less people trying to kill us."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony just stares, mouth open.

"What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Did you think about any of this before you did it? The gently caress did you think was going to happen with all...this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"It'll wear off eventually!" Will snaps. "Like we gotta wait awhile, or just leave and come back later. If we wait long enough I can change the rules again. I think. I guess I don't know the rules like I thought I did."

"And yeah Sofia, if it were just me I'd stay. We get to be heroes. You wanna go back home? I mean, no disrespect you any of you guys. But think about your lives.....are they worth anything really?" He turns his gaze downward. "Mine isn't."