Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NinjaPete posted:

"It'll wear off eventually!" Will snaps. "Like we gotta wait awhile, or just leave and come back later. If we wait long enough I can change the rules again. I think. I guess I don't know the rules like I thought I did."
"Noooo! Really? Do you even know if that affected all "NPCs" or just these guys? When does it wear off?"

quote:

"And yeah Sofia, if it were just me I'd stay. We get to be heroes. You wanna go back home? I mean, no disrespect you any of you guys. But think about your lives.....are they worth anything really?" He turns his gaze downward. "Mine isn't."
Octavia's anger overcomes her pain, and she stands up and gets right in Will's face. "Oh, no. You do NOT get to play the 'my life sucks' card here. You lost that privileged a long loving time ago."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sofia's eyes narrow as she says, "Yeah, Tony's right. Like... I get it, okay? I deal with my fair share of poo poo too, Will, but I think you'll notice-" She gestures widely with a sword. "-I didn't summon my old gaming group into some sort of twisted death-game where I could play god, or try to sic an army and everyone else in the world on them when they didn't properly appreciate my grandeur. gently caress off."

With a deep breath, she turns to Tony, "Hey, when you have a second... do that thing we talked about. I'm gonna need a lot of juice real quick, since I don't think we're going to get through this... quagmire of self-pity... without some creative thinking."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Octavia glances at Sofia, then at Will. Then back to Sofia.

She steps away from Will, a smirk forming on her lips. "You know, all this time here, me playing a rock star...and now I finally get to perform."

She takes a deep breath, draws her rapier in a fluid motion, and spins it to transform it back into the microphone stand. She closes her eyes, spins the stand fluidly in a wonderfully choreographed move, and slams the end onto the floor.

Two blasts of pyrotechnics appear behind Octavia as a drum beat kicks in, followed by guitar chords. Phantom stage lights pivot and shine on her as she begins to sway in time with the summoned music. Watching Will, she begins to dance and sing like she'd performed this a million times.

"This bloody road remains a mystery...
This sudden darkness fills the air.
What are we waiting for?
Won't anybody help us?
What are we waiting for?

We can't afford to be innocent;
Stand up and face the enemy
It's a do or die situation
We will be invincible!

This shattered dream you cannot justify..."

Octavia then locks eyes with Sofia. Will feels Tony's "presence" leave his mind, and Sofia feels...it's like Tony was reaching inside her thoughts and pulling a lever, one that filled her with vigilance, but with the sensation of him leaving his hand in her mind.

Octavia's illusory stage effects intensify as her performance continues, the music and her singing reaching a crescendo.

"...We're gonna scream until we're satisfied.
What are we running for?
We've got the
right to be angry;
What are we running for?
When there's no where we can run to anymore..."

The stage lights focus on Octavia, then snap onto Sophia.

---
Good: ( 4, 4, 2, 4 ) Dictator: ( 4 ) 4 Success. Can be modified by 4. Dropping the control over Will and filling Sofia to rank 4 Vigilance.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

In all fairness, Sofia had all but forgotten what Tony's alter-ego was supposed to do. The Voice, to be sure, but the theatrics... the thematics... it's enough to make her make a mental note to go to a show or three when they all make it back. The pure, creative expression reminds her more than a little of something that had slowly slipped away over the years. The fire, the spark, the urge to create. The surety of invincibility.

Sofia lets out a slow, shuddering breath as Vigilance fills her. What she'd felt before, whatever Vigilance anyone had ever felt, it was like a pale imitation of the intensity that fills her. Consumes her, almost, though she tamps down the fight-or-flight reflex with the iron will the game had decided to gift her. She tosses the swords aside, instead clenching a fist. It's perhaps a bit comical, seeing as she's dwarfed by even the scrawny teen version of Will, but there's an undeniable sense of gravity as she takes step after torturous step towards their erstwhile DM.

She can't help but think about how tired she is. Armies, drinking, seeing her mom... It's been a rough day. Anyone would deserve a break after all that. The short trek across the throne room takes all her energy and then some. Sofia digs deep, pushing through, though she stumbles into Will as she finally draws level with him. It takes a moment to push off of him, small fist grabbing his shirt as much to keep him from running as to keep her up.

Sofia's voice is a growl as she manages, "Will, I'm going to be honest. I'm tired of your poo poo, tired of all this adventure... I just want to go home. And you know what, deep down, I bet you do too." She looks at her fist, crackling bands of shadow beginning to crawl across the skin, then clenches it so tightly that it turns stark white. "I just gotta get it out from wherever you buried it."

In an instant, it seems like all the fatigue fades away. Sofia draws her arm back, then slams it into Will's gut. It's the sort of blow that people can feel just from looking at it. Like someone cranked the bass so high that the house is shaking down around them. Like the world's splitting apart under the stress. Will doubles over, retching, but what comes out is truly unusual. It's a thin black mist, almost smoke, that swirls up and out of the broken window.

Sofia lets go, Will slumping to the floor, and turns back towards Win and Tony. She says, "...I think he'll be fine. Let's go home... I think I could sleep for a year."

Taking a step towards them, a look of surprise crosses her face as she finds herself toppling face-first to the floor. The lights and sounds of the throne room begin to fade, her eyes losing focus. The last thought that crosses her mind, as everything goes black, is that she's glad she got to see her mom. Even if she was a fake.
---
Emotion (4). Since the roll is equal to or less than Sofia's emotion level, she suffers that number of wounds... which is enough to instantly drop her to zero. Sofia dies.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

The sound of clapping from behind a chaise lounge slows then stops entirely. Winona clambers from behind it, the hint of a smile sticking around inappropriately even as she kneels to examine Sofia.

She pushes the body over discourteously. Searches for signs of breathing, signs of a heartbeat, signs of a wound. Nothing.

Surely at some point she'll address the emergency or explain herself? But no. To Win right now fear and worry are distant concepts. It's hard to remember to reassure people when you take it for granted that Everything Is Fine.

Winona sits cross-legged next to the corpse, closes her eyes, focuses on her breathing. Once she is nice and comfortable she proceeds with the god bothering.

Hey, Turing. Got a biggie for you. Can you fix her, or is this out of your wheelhouse?

Time stops. She feels the vibration of dial-up in her fillings. Then she hears a muted buzz. The world stands still around her. The buzzing continues. Winona pats herself down until she finds the origin. She pulls out her very first smartphone, covered in band stickers. Her face is lit up by the screen as she taps away, opening up an unread message.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Octavia's grin from the high of performing fades as she sees Sophia drop.

"Sophia?"

She drops the mic stand and runs over, kneeling down and shaking her.

"Oh god..."

She leans down and listens for a heartbeat. In a panic, she begins to try CPR, but all Tony knows about it is what he's seen on TV.

"This can't be happening...Win, what the gently caress are you doing? Do you know CPR or anything? She's..." He trails off, unable to say the word.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

Her face is lit up by the screen as she taps away, opening up an unread message.

"The price may be too high little one. Just wait, and ask again when you know what it is you want."

Evil Mastermind posted:

"This can't be happening...Win, what the gently caress are you doing? Do you know CPR or anything? She's..."

"No," Will whispers, collapsing next to Tony and Sofia. "No no no. It's not supposed to work this way. We.. we're the heroes..."

He is about to say more when Sofia's body jerks violently. It shudders and starts to change.

Sofia is now Fallen.

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 28, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Win, what the hell are you doing? Are you still...oh gently caress, right, stop being so calm!"

Voicing Win with submission to get her to do what I want, then immediately removing the effect: Good: ( 3, 5, 5, 6 ) Dictator: ( 2 ) 2 Success. Can be modified by 3. 1 Special.
Now Win feels the sensation of not only wanting to do what Tony says, but the feeling and knowledge that Tony slid this alien thought into her mind. It's over almost immediately, but the memory of the sensation is still there.

NinjaPete posted:

"No," Will whispers, collapsing next to Tony and Sofia. "No no no. It's not supposed to work this way. We.. we're the heroes..."
"It's not supposed to..." Tony trails off, staring at Will, and finally snaps. He grabs Will by the shirt and slams him into the floor, screaming "YOU loving PSYCHO THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 26, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

While the drama unfolds around the body of Sofia, a change begins to come over her. Electricity courses through a nervous system left adrift, muscles convulsing wildly as life — of a sort, anyway — returns. Her back arches as the fits grow in strength and frequency. The snap and pop of tendons and bones alike punctuate Tony's outburst, her body taking on a more bestial mien, even as wires and sheets of metal seem to extrude out of nowhere. It doesn't take much of an intuitive leap to connect what's happening to her with those cyberzombies the group fought when they first arrived.

Sofia's eyes burst open, gleaming an ominous red, and she begins to pick herself up. Sharpened claws skitter and spark against the floor of the throne room. With a ghastly, mechanical rasp of laughter, she looks at Will, "This place doesn't even let you die right."

The sudden flip from life to death to... quasi-life? She doesn't even know what to make of it. What she does know is that there's something delicious smelling in the room... and drat, she's hungrier than she's ever been before.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Will does not react to Tony slamming him into the ground, he just dazedly stares at the women. However, once "Sofia" sits back up he screams and pulls away from Tony.

"Get back!" he yells, "Everyone get away from her!"

Riot's phone buzzes. The message reads:

"fall·en
/ˈfôlən/
subject to sin or depravity.

"fallen human nature"
(of a soldier) killed in battle.

"fallen heroes"

This is part of the Order of Die. To disrupt it would be...unfortunate. There must be a balance, though your friend is fixable."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When Will starts yelling, Octavia looks to see what's happening how...and the blood drains from her face. She scrambles backwards and cries out, "WHAT THE HELL?! S-Sophia?"

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

The look of contented calm on Winona's face is ripped away by Tony's shout. Her eyes snap wide and she pulls back as though from an invisible force.

One moment on top of the world, the next she feels smaller than an ant. As the sense of pressure against her ego subsides, Riot works to regain her composure.

"Okay. Okay. I'm on it."

Riot avoids making eye contact with Tony. The feeling that her mind could be ripped open and her personality changed on a whim lingers. She holds it together until Tony's attention is taken slamming Will into the ground. Then she turns and vomits from the terror of it all.

As Riot turns back Sofia has started to rise. Riot takes to her feet and slowly walks backwards from the scene, briefly glancing at the new message then focusing her attention on the Fallen as her thumbs tap up a reply by touch.

What will it tKe?
Fine pritn pls

malbogio fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 30, 2019

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Text starts pouring out of Riot's phone.

Recovery of a Fallen demands sacrifice. This is the order of things. You may wish to just let her kill the Master. It would resurrect her. It would also doom him to the same fate.

Turing says nothing for a while. And then..

But, the rules can be bent. One of you stays here voluntarily. Becomes a demi God in your own right. Help put Preladan back in order. That would work. Your old life in the other world would be... disseminated to the others. Rewritten. You would stay here, not as Fallen. The Master cannot be the one.

Will grabs at Tony, "Don't let her touch you. She's Fallen."

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Winona types back a response. Her finger lingers over the send button. She hesitates. Looks at Will. This was all his fault. He nearly got them all killed. It would be just to make him pay the price. It would be fair. She thought she could live with that. He was so pathetic. He'd been so... sad. Had Sofia fixed him? She couldn't tell.

gently caress fair. No one had to die today. All it would take was a miracle. Win licks her lips and watches Sofia cautiously. She wanted another option. She wanted someone responsible to do the responsible thing so she wouldn't have to. She wasn't even sure this place kept existing when no one was looking.

"Hey, Will. Find a new hobby. And if you make me regret this you're so getting haunted."

Win hits send.

The glow of her die starts small, violet leaking from her eyes and open mouth.

"And don't come back, obviou-"

The violet light is blinding. It expands in a flash. Whatever is happening overwhelms the senses. For a moment nostrils burn and it sounds like the world is ending.

A phone clatters to the ground where Winona once stood.

Deall

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
When the violet glow fades and the cacophony of noise dies down, three player characters are left. Sofia as been returned to her "normal" self, in a seemingly less painful way.

Will looks at the fallen phone, "Win?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NinjaPete posted:

Will grabs at Tony, "Don't let her touch you. She's Fallen."
"What the gently caress does that m-"

NinjaPete posted:

When the violet glow fades and the cacophony of noise dies down, three player characters are left. Sofia as been returned to her "normal" self, in a seemingly less painful way.
Octavia looks around in utter confusion. "Wh...what the gently caress just happened? What's going on?" She then grabs Will and pulls him to his feet. "What the gently caress did you do this time, Will?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

There's a moment, an endless instant, where Sofia snaps back to normalcy. Or, at least, as normal as her-as-Hawkins can be. The cybernetics and claws and the hunger... all just a bad dream. She looks around confused, "Wait, what? I was... and then I wasn't... and..." A beat, she scans the scene, "...Win?"

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Evil Mastermind posted:

"What the gently caress did you do this time, Will?"

"N-Nothing! I swear! She.." Will pauses. "She must have done something. A deal with a god. I don't know..."

There is a cracking boom outside and the tower sways.

"We're running out of time." Will says quietly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony pulls Will close. "Will. I am getting really. loving. Tired. Of asking you what the gently caress is going on. Tell us everything that going on right now or I swear to god I will Voice you into punching yourself in the dick for the rest of your life."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia says, "Why is the tower, uh, collapsing? Is that something you did? I mean, you wanted us to stay here forever, now we need to leave in a hurry? I'm still a little fuzzy on the how, let alone the why..."

Perhaps it's the fuzz of a sudden resurrection, the unusual circumstances, extreme amounts of stress vis-a-vis having bounced between hyper vigilant and absolutely chill several times in the last fifteen minutes, or a melange of all the above, but she can hardly muster the energy to hate Will. She knows she should, knows he deserves all the dick punches that Tony can muster, but the actual act of hating? Not happening.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Tricky posted:

"Why is the tower, uh, collapsing? Is that something you did? I mean, you wanted us to stay here forever, now we need to leave in a hurry? I'm still a little fuzzy on the how, let alone the why..."

"I'm not doing anything, I swear. It's...it's the world. It exists as long as we're playing our game. Whatever Win did...it must have been enough to count as a good ending. Now the world..it wants us to make a choice. Stay or go? Reality in Red Moon can't last as long as we're uncertain. We all leave, or we all stay, and it'll fix itself, but if we're uncertain.."

Will trails off as the sky outside darkens, and stars start to fall. All at once.

"Tony," Will whimpers. "I'm trying to tell you want you want to know. Please don't be mad."

Win.

You exist here, and you'll never exist. You can see all of Red Moon, but you can't see anything with clarity of your human mindset. Your friends will die unless they make a choice. They will die eventually anyway.

You can help them. You cannot act.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia takes a slow breath, looking between Win's fallen phone and the sleeping form of her mom's fantasy doppelganger, then looks up at Tony and Will, "Well, if that's all it takes... I've made up my mind. Life's still waiting for me back home. It may not be perfect, god knows there are some things I want to change, but I'm not about to take what Win did and throw it away. People don't tend to get second chances at life that often."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony lets Will go, and looks around at the sleeping NPCs, at Win's phone, and just...deflates.

"I can't do this. I can't handle the..." He looks at Will. "You know, it's funny; if this place had just let me be a sexy famous rock star, I might have been on your side here." He starts laughing. "But the world never let me get into character! That's probably fuckin' ironic or something, huh, Will? If your game treated me better you might have won!"

Tony laughs some more, but it fades as he just slumps back to the ground.

"I just want to go home."

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"I didn't mean for this to happen," Will says. "I just wanted to do something. This is all so..." he lifts up his arms. "....Underwhelming. And I want to go home too bu--"

Whiteness overtakes you all, forcing everyone to close their eyes tightly.

One

Two

Three

When the light fades enough for you to open your eyes, you are back at Will's cabin. Everything is as it was when you started the game...yesterday? Sheets are laying in front of you, dice just coming to a rest. They don't hold any of the wonder, or malice, that they seemed to at first. They are just hunks of resin now. Perfectly normal.

Except, there are only three spots at the table. Not four. For better or worse there is not empty chair where Win once sat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony blinks. "What just...hello?"

Tony, actual Tony, raises his hand to his throat as he realizes his voice has changed again. He looks around, then down at himself. His face is a mix of emotions as he realizes what just happened...then he takes in the table. And counts the number of spots at the table.

After a moment, he stands up, picks up his chair, and throws it as hard as he can at Will.

"YOU loving PSYCHOPATH! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? WHERE'S WIN?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

While Tony understandably flips out about the sudden changes to their reality, Sofia feels more like she got hit with a truck and has the worst hangover of all time. The additional two feet of height is also a little disconcerting, even though they'd only been in Red Moon for a little bit... it was just long enough to get used to being Hawkins. She groans, covering her eyes, and manages, "Can someone get me some aspirin? I don't feel so hot."

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"What the gently caress is wrong with you!?" Will yells, awkwardly ducking out of the way of the chair. His rage at being forced to be submissive to Tony finally unleashed. He glances at Sofia. "There's Tylenol in the cabinet in the bathroom."

Will turns back to Tony and sighs heavily, "I have no idea where Win is. She's still in Red Moon. She...oh gently caress...she's been erased."

The three of us have absorbed elements of Win's life into our own. What are they?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony reaches for his sheet and his die. "Maybe, maybe we can go back and save her? We can't just-"

NinjaPete posted:

Will turns back to Tony and sighs heavily, "I have no idea where Win is. She's still in Red Moon. She...oh gently caress...she's been erased."
"Been erased? BEEN ERASED?"

The blood drains from Tony's face as this sinks in. He leans heavily on the table, trying to get his head to stop spinning. "God I feel like the top of my head's gonna fall off."

Apart from everything else, his mind is filling with...schematics? A sort of inherent understanding of electronics, mechanics, all sorts of disciplines he didn't have before all this started.

Tony looks up at Will. "You. This is all your fault. You...you made that world just to kill it! Are you happy now? Was it loving worth it?"

--
Tony has absorbed Win's interest in robotics and mechanics.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia stumbles into the bathroom, taking a brief moment to check the mirror as she gulps down a pair of tylenol with a quick swallow of water. She looks... well, about as she'd have expected. Tired, always tired, but there's a certain fire in her eyes that wasn't there before this whole mess. Probably comes with the knowledge that at the end of the day, there's not much room to obsess over worst cases when you've literally died and been brought back by some divine sacrifice.

A buzz in her pocket has her check her phone, by rote more than anything. Dozens of notifications flood her screen, marking her cats — she had cats...? wait, yeah, she's definitely always had cats — passage throughout her apartment. Goddamn internet of things. Sofia gives herself one last searching look, then heads back into the fray. She comes in at the tail end of Tony's tirade, adding, "Yeah, Will, you have to admit... that place was never going to be what you said you wanted for us. You had control, but we were just... pawns. Players in some sort of twisted game."

---

Sofia has taken on Win's cat collection.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
"It's not what I wanted," Will pleads. "Not at all."

He pauses and reaches into his jacket for his Juul.

Wait...he vapes? Of course he does. But he never did before. Right? Vaping in his, like the car full of his crap outside. And the half dozen lovely "jobs".

"So..what now?" Will asks, trying to shake his unease.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"What now? I think 'what now' is that we leave and you never try to get in touch with us again."

Tony looks at the table, and grabs his d4. "And I'm dumping this drat thing off the first bridge I reach. I'm not going to let you do this to someone else."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia grabs her die as well, the weight of it somehow nostalgic despite having only touched it once before. She says, "Yeah, I gotta get going. The cats are going to go all Lord of the Flies if I don't get back. They've already dismantled the automatic feeder and..." She sighs. "...I gotta get cracking on this story at the paper."

Of course, under the resignation, there's a hint of steel that wasn't there prior to the game. She silently muses that she's going to have to have a few words with her editor when this story is done... and maybe it's time to start that book in earnest. It was fun seeing herself published in Red Moon, even if it was just trashy game reports.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Will lets them grab their die. He doesn't stop them. He doesn't do much of anything really. He just quietly packs the game, or what is left of it, back up.

Was it real? Did it even really happen? Obviously it did and yet...there's no evidence. Other than Riot..er..Win..not being here. But was she ever here? The logistics of what happened are..mind numbing. Will slammed his truck close and looked back at the cabin and the lake. There was a calmness on the lake that Will had never appreciated until now. Even though there was movement, waves, wind, birds, etc, those details only appeared when you focused on them. When you zoomed in with a microscope. When you stepped back and looked at the world as a whole, everything seemed to freeze, letting you take it all in. It all seemed real, and unreal, at once.

Everyone, one more post summing up how your character's life has changed. Then we're done.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

In an idyllic valley pegasi graze beside an enchanted river, its many crystals humming in soothing harmony as the water flows past.

HRNNNNNN!

The crystals fall into discord. A swarm of bats takes flight from the nearby grove. The pegasi rally around their young in confusion.

HRNNNNNNN NNNNNNGH

The enchanted animals break the sound barrier as they flee from the strange disturbance. The vibrations of the gems cause the water to splash outwards. Our view zooms in on a small rock by the riverside as it tilts upwards. 70 degrees. 80 degrees. Slowly it tilts onto its side.

RRRNNNNNNGHHUH!!!

The rock finishes flipping over. Silence falls once again over the tranquil - "YES! YES! IN. YOUR. FACE. UNNF!" The rock flips over again, disappearing into the water. "Yeah... you better run."

"Hey. Hey you." A large squirrel halts its retreat and turns back towards the unseen force. "Do y'know any potters near here?" The rodent tilts its head in confusion. "They make the hard round things with the tasty food inside? Am I ringing any bells?" The squirrel stares for a short while then scurries away. "So is that a yes or a..." sigh "Fine. Not like I have anywhere else to be. Lead the way."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tony pulls his car to the side of the road on a bridge. After a moment, he gets out, his d4 gripped tightly in his hand.

Everything seems like a sort of dream now. Everything that happened to himself, Sofia, and...and...uh...

He shakes his head. Some of the images in his head, like seeing himself being executed, refuse to go away. And one or two, like how it felt to finally perform as a magical rock star, he hopes will never go away.

He looks down into the rushing river below, the d4 feeling heavy in his hand.

For some reason, though, Tony feels...more focused than he had in years. He thinks of the things he can do, that he could do. After all, he survived being in a completely different body in a fantasy world that wanted to kill him. Compared to that, picking a career didn't seem so impossible. Maybe he could look into starting an engineering track back at college, really make an effort at it too. It'd probably be a good idea to keep in touch with Sofia, too. After all, it's not like there's anyone else he could talk to about all this.

And who knows; maybe he'll even try to learn to sing.

But the first step, the first step, should be getting rid of the die. Don't let Will pull this horseshit on anyone else. And all he has to do to do that is drop the die into the river. Put Octavia behind him.

That's all.

Just drop the die into the river.

Easiest thing in the world...

A few minutes later, Tony gets back into his car and drives on to the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

In the weeks and months after returning from Red Moon, Sofia's life goes through quite a bit of turmoil. She tenders her resignation to the paper after her editor tries to railroad her into writing another awful article and decides to take something of a sabbatical to figure out who she is and what she really wants to be doing. It's a pretty short sabbatical, though, as those cats aren't about to feed themselves and they've got quite the expensive tastes when it comes to cat food. Sofia pulls out a few old manuscripts that she'd been poking away at over the year and, free from the yoke of the paper, sees about finishing them up and shopping them around.

It's a path that promises to be more challenging than just drifting along at the paper, but as she dives into this new path... well, she can't help but be excited for the adventures that await. Who knows? One day she might write a story about their adventures. Drama, action, and deep character studies. Who could ask for anything more?